Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

robopaddy wrote: »
    To say he was outstanding is stretching it. He showed up well in a few games but anonymous enough in a few other games.

Best on the field in Ennis, very good against Tipp bar his shooting (would probably be good if he was less injury prone), one of few scorers from play v Galway in a game we didn't play well in, again against Kilkenny we didn't play well but he scored one great point with a clean catch and was a bit of a nuisance. Wasn't at the Cork game so dunno how that went.

All in all I think he is the best forward that has been produce since 2009 (to play senior inter county). The one with the potential to be most unplayable if fit. For that reason, I agree that longer term should be the goal, he is important for Waterford's future.

By the same token, Darragh Fives future should be considered more important than rushing him back too, as he is the best hurler we have produced since 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

By the same token, Darragh Fives future should be considered more important than rushing him back too, as he is the best hurler we have produced since 2009.

Possibly so I really dont know what were doing wrong in this county but its like any promising hurler coming through seems to get crippled with injury and its so frustrating. Look at the liked o halloran, fives, 2 mahonys, daniels, bennett, gavin o brien, jamie barron have all suffered serious injuries over the past couple years and im sure im missing a few more.

Im waiting for the day we get all these lads onto a pitch at the same time while fully fit. Then I think well take beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

robopaddy wrote: »
    Possibly so I really dont know what were doing wrong in this county but its like any promising hurler coming through seems to get crippled with injury and its so frustrating. Look at the liked o halloran, fives, 2 mahonys, daniels, bennett, gavin o brien, jamie barron have all suffered serious injuries over the past couple years and im sure im missing a few more.

Im waiting for the day we get all these lads onto a pitch at the same time while fully fit. Then I think well take beating.

Perhaps there is a lack of investment in coaching and sports science? Crap facilities don't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Best on the field in Ennis, very good against Tipp bar his shooting (would probably be good if he was less injury prone), one of few scorers from play v Galway in a game we didn't play well in, again against Kilkenny we didn't play well but he scored one great point with a clean catch and was a bit of a nuisance. Wasn't at the Cork game so dunno how that went.

All in all I think he is the best forward that has been produce since 2009 (to play senior inter county). The one with the potential to be most unplayable if fit. For that reason, I agree that longer term should be the goal, he is important for Waterford's future.

Noel Connors?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

Orizio wrote: »
    Noel Connors?

He made his debut in 09 so I think Mountainlad is saying Daragh is the best young hurler produced in Waterford since Noel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

deisedude wrote: »
    He made his debut in 09 so I think Mountainlad is saying Daragh is the best young hurler produced in Waterford since Noel

It's kind of a bold statement though. There are plenty of talented lads knocking around with more medals, All Star nominations etc. Until he goes and has a bit of time without injury and delivers we'll know more about how good of a young player he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Have a spare town end terrace ticket for Sunday. PM me if interested, will let it go for a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deiseforall

Good luck to our Senior & Junior Footballers this weekend in Ennis. Also hopefully, our Senior Hurlers will overcome the Rebals on Sunday in Thurles. Up the Deise !!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

Good luck to our Senior & Junior Footballers this weekend in Ennis. Also hopefully, our Senior Hurlers will overcome the Rebals on Sunday in Thurles. Up the Deise !!

The footballers will get bate

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

have a bad feeling about the match sunday. Cork will be on fire. Cork by 4-5 for me. Have a feeling Nash will score a goal from a free. Hopefully im wrong as i would love a crack at Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

PTH2009 wrote: »
    have a bad feeling about the match sunday. Cork will be on fire. Cork by 4-5 for me. Have a feeling Nash will score a goal from a free. Hopefully im wrong as i would love a crack at Clare.

Ah shur you always think we'll get hammered!

PTH2009 wrote: »

You would not love a crack off Clare, you'd be sh*tting it.

hardybuck wrote: »
    It's kind of a bold statement though. There are plenty of talented lads knocking around with more medals, All Star nominations etc. Until he goes and has a bit of time without injury and delivers we'll know more about how good of a young player he is.

I standby it though.

Who are these with the all-star nominations? Mahony? Would he be the only one? I have no doubt Darragh is better.

Do many more of those young players have more than him given he has a minor Munster and two Fitzgibbon's to his name? Says enough to me that he was centre back on both those teams, and would have been again this year bar injury. Would you also consider Shane O'Sullivan better than Brick because he has more medals? Of course not.

The only game Darragh has been fully fit in since 2011 for Waterford was the Kilkenny game and my god what a show he put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Hope we'll have a decent support up there Sunday. Very poor turn out the last day.

cul beag wrote: »
    Hope we'll have a decent support up there Sunday. Very poor turn out the last day.

While it was poor at 16,000 only 25,000 showed up to a Munster Semi which was supposedly a good crowd. I know 9,000 is a bit of a difference, but like if it was a semi we were talking about between Munster champions and a team at home surely you'd be at least expecting that?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Cork team shows one change with lad from Youghal coming in. Also have Paudie O'Sullivan back to fitness on the bench. Wont be much between the teams if waterford put in a similar performance to the last day.

1. Anthony Nash (Kanturk)2. Shane O’Neill (Bishopstown)
    3. Damien Cahalane (St Finbarr’s)
    4. Stephen McDonnell (Glen Rovers)5. Christopher Joyce (Na Piarsaigh)6. Mark Ellis (Millstreet)7. Lorcan McLoughlin (Kanturk)8. Daniel Kearney (Sarsfields)9. Aidan Walsh (Kanturk)10. Conor Lehane (Midleton)11. Bill Cooper (Youghal)12. Patrick Cronin (Bishopstown - Captain)13. Alan Cadogan (Douglas)14. Seamus Harnedy (St Ita’s)15. Patrick Horgan (Glen Rovers)

Subs 16. Darren McCarthy (Ballymartle)17. Conor O’Sullivan (Sarsfields)18. Killian Burke (Midleton)19. Willian Egan (Kilbrin)20. Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)21. Brian Lawton (Castlemartyr)22. Jamie Coughlan (Newtownshandrum)23. Stephen Moylan (Douglas)24. Cian McCarthy (Sarsfields)25. Rob O’Shea (Carrigaline)26. Paudie O’Sullivan (Cloyne

As a side note what do ye make of Noel Connors beard, looking at him on the news earlier it looked like he had just come out of a homeless shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

What are ticket prices for the game on sunday or is it pay at the gate?

Hope to make this one if I can.

garv123 wrote: »
    What are ticket prices for the game on sunday or is it pay at the gate?

Hope to make this one if I can.

If you buy in advance, online or in Super valu/centra, you can get it a 5r cheaper. Prices would be 20 for Old stand, 15 for new stand, 10 for terraces (both open).

Add a 5r to each price if you decide to buy on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

While it was poor at 16,000 only 25,000 showed up to a Munster Semi which was supposedly a good crowd. I know 9,000 is a bit of a difference, but like if it was a semi we were talking about between Munster champions and a team at home surely you'd be at least expecting that?

Ya true enough. I'd just hope supporters would start to get behind the team a bit more,they used to be special days when we met Cork in the past. Still can't beat Munster championship day in Thurles no matter how bad supporters think we are!

If you buy in advance, online or in Super valu/centra, you can get it a 5r cheaper. Prices would be 20 for Old stand, 15 for new stand, 10 for terraces (both open).

Add a 5r to each price if you decide to buy on the day.

Cheers, never sat in the new stand but why is it cheaper?

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    Cheers, never sat in the new stand but why is it cheaper?

Uncovered stand

Uncovered stand

better check the weather first so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dayshyte

Hi there, first post - been lurking here for ages and enjoy the banter. I went to the drawn match but was surrounded by Cark people in the old stand. Where can I book a ticket for to have some number of WD supporters near me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

Dayshyte wrote: »
    Hi there, first post - been lurking here for ages and enjoy the banter. I went to the drawn match but was surrounded by Cark people in the old stand. Where can I book a ticket for to have some number of WD supporters near me?

Nowhere if waterford fans dont travel again! Although I cant make it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Get ticket through clubs - to be honest wherever you were last day you were going to be surrounded by Cork . I'd say we were out numbered nearly 10 to 1. Sure that's what the GAA is all about - there's no problem being in amongst them and having a bit of banter !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Get ticket through clubs - to be honest wherever you were last day you were going to be surrounded by Cork . I'd say we were out numbered nearly 10 to 1. Sure that's what the GAA is all about - there's no problem being in amongst them and having a bit of banter !

True that... I somehow ended up sitting in a massive group of Clare people last night at the U-21 fans. Was very strange.

Do you not think Waterford's crowd will be hugely increased after such a good display the last day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dayshyte

Limestone1 wrote: »

I am in Dublin so no access to club tickets.
    I don't mind banter but not when you are completely surrounded

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Super Value- "Real food, Real People"

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I am in Dublin so no access to club tickets.
    I don't mind banter but not when you are completely surrounded

It depends on the lads surrounding ya really. Was in the middle of a heap of Cork fans along with the brother and an elderly couple from Waterford (no relation) and it was good craic, good banter. When the "rebels" chant went up the auld wan started shouting WATERFORD in the pauses, some woman!

Was in a block of Cork fans for the Munster final last year, got woeful stick off some Cork lad who saw the jersey and was winding me up askin me if Waterford knew what hurling was after the "tippy tappy crap we were at against Kilkenny. The game's called hurlin kid, hurl the ball". Gob****e! Most Cork fans are sound, but ya love to beat them to quieten the mouths like that lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Ropaire wrote: »
    It depends on the lads surrounding ya really. Was in the middle of a heap of Cork fans along with the brother and an elderly couple from Waterford (no relation) and it was good craic, good banter. When the "rebels" chant went up the auld wan started shouting WATERFORD in the pauses, some woman!

Was in a block of Cork fans for the Munster final last year, got woeful stick off some Cork lad who saw the jersey and was winding me up askin me if Waterford knew what hurling was after the "tippy tappy crap we were at against Kilkenny. The game's called hurlin kid, hurl the ball". Gob****e! Most Cork fans are sound, but ya love to beat them to quieten the mouths like that lad.

I was sitting beside a few Cork lads for the AI final last year and had great banter with them throughout the game You could meet a gob****e from any county though I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement