Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Just looking at the team there are a lot of players who have won an All-Ireland of some descripton.

1 Stephen O Keeffe- 2 schools All-Irelands with De La Salle. At least one Fitzgibbon with WIT this year
    2 Tadgh De Burca- All Ireland Schools with Dungarvan. Possibly a football one with them too. And did he win a freshers with UCC this year?
    3 Liam Lawlor- none I know of.
    4 Noel Connors- 2 schools All Irelands with De La Salle
    5 Jamie Nagle- none I know of.
    6 Kevin Moran- At least one Fitzgibbon with WIT in 2008. I think he won another in 2006.
    7 Shane Fives At least one Fitzgibbon with WIT in 2008
    8 Shane Sullivan. At least one Fitzgibbon with WIT in 2008
    9 Michael Walsh. At least one Fitzgibbon with WIT in 2006. Possibly also in 2003 and 2004.
    10 Colin Dunford. All Ireland Schools with Dungarvan. Possibly a football one with them too.
    11 Paudi Mahony. School All Ireland with De La Salle. Fitzgibbon with UCC 2012 and WIT 2014
    12 Austin Gleeson- Minor All Ireland
    13 Brian O Sullivan School All Ireland with De La Salle. Fitzgibbon with UCC 2012 and 2013
    14 Shane Walsh. none that I know of
    15 Jake Dillon School All Ireland with De La Salle. Fitzgibbon with WIT 2014

To have so many players to have won these medals is unusual for Waterford. Hopefully it is built upon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Just looking at the team there are a lot of players who have won an All-Ireland of some descripton.

1 Stephen O Keeffe- 2 schools All-Irelands with De La Salle. At least one Fitzgibbon with WIT this year
    2 Tadgh De Burca- All Ireland Schools with Dungarvan. Possibly a football one with them too. And did he win a freshers with UCC this year?
    3 Liam Lawlor- none I know of.
    4 Noel Connors- 2 schools All Irelands with De La Salle
    5 Jamie Nagle- none I know of.
    6 Kevin Moran- At least one Fitzgibbon with WIT in 2008. I think he won another in 2006.
    7 Shane Fives At least one Fitzgibbon with WIT in 2008
    8 Shane Sullivan. At least one Fitzgibbon with WIT in 2008
    9 Michael Walsh. At least one Fitzgibbon with WIT in 2006. Possibly also in 2003 and 2004.
    10 Colin Dunford. All Ireland Schools with Dungarvan. Possibly a football one with them too.
    11 Paudi Mahony. School All Ireland with De La Salle. Fitzgibbon with UCC 2012 and WIT 2014
    12 Austin Gleeson- Minor All Ireland
    13 Brian O Sullivan School All Ireland with De La Salle. Fitzgibbon with UCC 2012 and 2013
    14 Shane Walsh. none that I know of
    15 Jake Dillon School All Ireland with De La Salle. Fitzgibbon with WIT 2014

To have so many players to have won these medals is unusual for Waterford. Hopefully it is built upon

Abundance of Munsters as well. I have much for tomorrow, think we might shade it but one question mark on our side still remains our forwards. One swallow doesn't make a summer, or a year for that matter, and they will need to hit similar levels and even improve tomorrow.

We do have some big hitters though, and nine scorers the last day is certainly an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Abundance of Munsters as well. I have much for tomorrow, think we might shade it but one question mark on our side still remains our forwards. One swallow doesn't make a summer, or a year for that matter, and they will need to hit similar levels and even improve tomorrow.

We do have some big hitters though, and nine scorers the last day is certainly an advantage.

SOS normally good for a score too. I think all the forwards could improve, Shane Walsh, Jake Dillon should be fitter, Dunford and Gleeson gained experience (Aussie got 1-2 but can eliminate some mistakes) and Mahony and BOS look to be in their best form yet and confidence will grow.

Goals are a big issue. Gleeson's wonder strike was the only shot in anger at the goal. Need to create chances. Shane Walsh scoupping the ball in from 5 yards would do tommorrow

At the back I wonder what the match ups will be

I'd have TdeB on Lehane again but put Connors on Cadogan because he'll stay in the corner and Shane Fives on Horgan, judging from Shane's performance against Conal Keaney and Shane O Donnell in league he looks better suited to Horgan than Cadogan. Fives will compete better with Horgan when he drifts out too. I can see a case for TdeB to mark the other two but I'd leave him where he was the last day

On the subs bench:

Seamus still looks the most likely to come on and make an impact. Ray Barry will hardly be as ineffective again. Donnelly a good option too. Infact the those three looked liked a very good full forward line when played together in the league. I expect Molumphy but none of Daragh Fives, Barron, Shan, O Hall.

The weather is also another factor may not be a day for free flowing game. Its hard to call the last 2 weekends the sides were level after 70 mins so its hard to be certain. What price a draw (Deise in Extra time)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Watched the first game again today and Lehane was very poor, he missed a few handy ones and I wouldn't expect him to be as bad tomorrow.
    Head says Cork cant be as bad and I think even though their players aren't world beaters there a few more years down the road in developement than us.

Waterford by 1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Watched the first game again today and Lehane was very poor, he missed a few handy ones and I wouldn't expect him to be as bad tomorrow.
    Head says Cork cant be as bad and I think even though there players aren't world beaters there a few more years down the road in developement than us.

Waterford by 1 :)

I can't Lehane ever playing so bad again, he had a shocker. Although last year he started the campaign poorly, and then came good (very good).

This is what is is capable of..

Seamus Harnedy was also very quiet, think he had the flu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Best of luck to the Waterford team and management tomorrow.
    Deise Abu :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

I see Duignan and Cyril Farrell have tipped Waterford, anyone else I saw tentatively go for Cork. Cork are under huge pressure to preform tomorrow. They took a full 6 weeks to prepare for the last day, Waterford crammed their training into 3 weeks due club championships. Don't see this 1b league as an excuse looking at Limerick last week, as well as that how much 1a hurling had the starting Waterford team done. Connors, Moran,Brick, Mahony, Nagle, Burke, BOS thats only half the team that had a solid amount of hurling done before last week.
    The talk is Cork won't start as bad but Waterford won't fade this time around

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

wtf were the GAA thinking putting KK v Offaly for the first game on sky wouldn't be the my first choice looking at that game would turn people off the game

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hslaw wrote: »
    wtf were the GAA thinking putting KK v Offaly for the first game on sky wouldn't be the my first choice looking at that game would turn people off the game

one sided, but KK so impressive. Getting a very positive reaction on twitter from people in the UK

stuff like this
    Nathan Baker ‏@Nathan_Bakes now

The tekkers these Hurling players have... Wow

Clare 1-5 Waterford 1-2 at HT. Paul Whyte with Waterford goal, one black card for a Clare player

• Advertisement

Attendance for the KK-Offaly game is 11,841. Very low considering the game is on in KK.

Was a lot of talk about how low the attendance (16k) was for the Cork-Waterford game. Wonder how much of a mention this will get

KevIRL wrote: »
    Attendance for the KK-Offaly game is 11,841. Very low considering the game is on in KK.

Was a lot of talk about how low the attendance (16k) was for the Cork-Waterford game. Wonder how much of a mention this will get

No one to blame for the poor attendance only the GAA
    Prices are way to high considering people just don't have the money to buy tickets in this day and age. if they dropped the tickets by half price they might draw a bigger crowd.

Offaly are shocking, brutal. No offence intended. but they are going backwards

Clare 1-5 Waterford 1-2 at HT. Paul Whyte with Waterford goal, one black card for a Clare player

1-7 to 1-2 now

1-7 to 1-2 now

1-7 to 1-4 with 15 mins left

1-7 to 1-4 with 15 mins left

Waterford goal, all square

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

Offaly have nobody but themselves to blame. County board there makes ours look like a well oiled machine. Favouritism for certain clubs. Players look completely unfit and disinterested. Tactically inept playing a corner forward as a sweeper. I'm sure there are plenty club teams around the country that would beat that Offaly side

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

Offaly have nobody but themselves to blame. County board there makes ours look like a well oiled machine. Favouritism for certain clubs. Players look completely unfit and disinterested. Tactically inept playing a corner forward as a sweeper. I'm sure there are plenty club teams around the country that would beat that Offaly side

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Hslaw wrote: »
    No one to blame for the poor attendance only the GAA
    Prices are way to high considering people just don't have the money to buy tickets in this day and age. if they dropped the tickets by half price they might draw a bigger crowd.

Offaly are shocking, brutal. No offence intended. but they are going backwards
    I would rather have 50,000 at €10 than 25,000 at€20 ,when people stop going to games they get out of the habit ,and you will loose them for good, totally agree about pricing

Waterford ahead by 1 with 6 mins left

Waterford ahead by 1 with 6 mins left

Sigh, Clare goal to lead by 2

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »

I was just thinking the same thing myself about a club team beating Offaly.
    last year they seem to be moving in the right direction but this year they are just brutal

1 point in it, Clare ahead with a minute left in injury time

1 point in it, Clare ahead with a minute left in injury time

All square again

Full time 2-8 each. Another money spinning replay for the GAA :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Full time 2-8 each. Another money spinning replay for the GAA :pac:

a result that wont please too many locals here , after the good league we had people expected us to win this, aswell as that with the absence of the hurney brothers it goes to show ye have able replacements down there

the replay will be next saterday in dungarvin most likely and we will be without the collins brothers i am sure aswell ......advantage waterford???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Well done Gaa and Sky Sports, the first game you show was a farce, should have shown the Limerick/Tipp match or the Waterford/Cork match,
    Least be more exciting than what was shown in Nowlan Park, was as bad as the Final in 08.
    Feel sorry for Offaly, gone backwards in hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I would rather have 50,000 at €10 than 25,000 at€20 ,when people stop going to games they get out of the habit ,and you will loose them for good, totally agree about pricing

You wouldn't get 50,000 at the game if they charged €10 admission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

STIG83 wrote: »
    Well done Gaa and Sky Sports, the first game you show was a farce, should have shown the Limerick/Tipp match or the Waterford/Cork match,
    Least be more exciting than what was shown in Nowlan Park, was as bad as the Final in 08.

They didn't get that choice, no doubt they would have if they could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

STIG83 wrote: »

Something tells me Sky ain't clairvoyants how the hell were they met to know Kilkenny were going to hammer Offaly. I think even the most dedicated GAA follower didn't expect Offaly to fall apart as they did. I'm sure if Dky could of got a better game to open with they would do gone with that.

It should be a good game today it's a pity no one is showing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

obezyana wrote: »
    Something tells me Sky ain't clairvoyants how the hell were they met to know Kilkenny were going to hammer Offaly. I think even the most dedicated GAA follower didn't expect Offaly to fall apart as they did. I'm sure if Dky could of got a better game to open with they would do gone with that.

It should be a good game today it's a pity no one is showing it.

It was quite predictable tbh.... I think most people expected KK to win by in and around 20 points; Offaly were awful during the league (bar denying Limerick promotion), and Kilkenny clearly have the firepower.

I still reckon Sky should have tried to do whatever possible to get the rights for the Cork-Waterford game the minute the date of the replay was known... if they want to market the game to a wider audience, this is the kind of game they'll need to show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement