Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

robopaddy wrote: »
    Its natural that people will always be blinded by loyalty to their own clubs/parish/people they know personally or whatever. If I felt someone from my club/area was being unfairly criticized on here Id be a bit defensive and I know you are the same.

Lets put our differences aside for the good week thats in it!

Fair enough. Apologies Dickys Back Garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

alllcounty wrote: »
    Also well done to the clubs for voting to change the minor club structures in 2008 from divisional competitions to all county structures which doesn't get the credit it deserves. Minor club games are back on wednesday with some cracking games to look forward to.

Its no coincidence that since then we have won a Munster minor, an All Ireland minor, various Harty Cups & All Ireland Colleges other schools titles etc... More than what we had won in the previous 100 years combined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Its no coincidence that since then we have won a Munster minor, an All Ireland minor, various Harty Cups & All Ireland Colleges other schools titles etc... More than what we had won in the previous 100 years combined

More importantly even changing the u14 and u16 club structures around 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

GWAN The Deices.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sami Jenkis

Fair enough. Apologies Dickys Back Garden.

I wouldn't think you need to be apologising for just giving your opinion on something, but fair play to you anyway mountainlad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

I'm so happy with yesterday Minor win, their first since 1948. They will be "coming of age" to bury our All Ireland Jinx. Wonder how many of the winning side of 1948 were involved in 1959 All Ireland winning side. Many congratulations to the Deices Boys. Looking forward to see them coming home at 6pm today.

Havent heard from Premierstone yet he was on here last week saying this Waterford team were not mentally strong enough to win an AI but I think that theory has well and truly been put to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Absolutely delighted for the lads, what a win! I can help but think about next year though, you can't deny it but there is going to be a lot of talk calling for Aussie Gleeson and Stephen Bennett to join the senior panel. Seamus Prendergast is getting close to retirement and we don't have many ball winners in the half forward line where Aussie plays for mount sion, and Stephen is just a phenomenal forward, but has also had a double hip operation last january. Do ye think it's too early for them to join up? could cause burn out or injury. Take for example Brian O' Halloran, one of the best minors I've ever seen in my life but davy absolutely ran him to the ground in his 1st year and basically threw him to the wolves against Tipp on 2010. Been so unlucky with injury with the last few years I really hope it changes because the guy is a serious prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Just a very WELL WELL DONE to the lads and everyone involved in the result yesterday . Up the deise! Hope people turn out tonight on the quay to show the lads the support and appreciation they deserve. THANKS LADS. :):):):). UP THE DEISE! ! ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

I have no doubt Peter Power enjoyed the match and celebrations yesterday. No better man at promoting hurling amongst the youth of Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Havent heard from Premierstone yet he was on here last week saying this Waterford team were not mentally strong enough to win an AI but I think that theory has well and truly been put to bed.

It seems winning a game after going nine points down is a sign of weakness. Does that mean losing a game by eight points is a sign of strength? Either way, we lose.

I like this kind of losing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Chinpool wrote: »
    It worked out right but there was still some very strange calls. Why the constant rotation of forwards at the start of every game? Why not start Curran & Gleeson? Why take off Foran before Farrell? All very strange

Hindsight is a great thing to be honest. Maybe the selectors looked at Limerick this year and how they used the bench well up to the game with Clare. They held some strong players in reserve and maybe you could say by putting them on the team finished a stronger 15 than the 15 that started. Keeping Cormac and Conor might be much the same. Foran was doing well in the first half, and it surprised many to see him come off. Someone I was talking to that was close enough to the line where he came off the field said he looked as though he was carrying a bit of an injury. Maybe this might explain why he was taken off.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Would anyone who was at the game yesterday and got a match program mind posting up the list of subs and extended panel and their respective clubs please?

Déise Tom has them all here - 34 players. Also listed are the Management team and the back room team. Not mentioned is that Pat Moore was brought in to help with some coaching recently and that Pat Bennett and Rua were on Stats. http://deiseabu.blogspot.ie/2013/09/waterford-seek-third-minor-all-ireland.html

More importantly even changing the u14 and u16 club structures around 2006.

You are about ten years late in saying 2006. The change in u14 came in 1996 when he hosted Feile. We hosted it again in 97. The move to change the structures was to be only for two years but all underage clubs wanted the new structure kept in place and even called for the under 16 competitions to go the same way. I think that was about 1998 or 99 (more than likely 98). Pat Grant the now secretary of the Western Adult Board became chairman of Board na nÓg in 2002 or 2003 and brought in an under 12 county final which was another good move and a year or two later the minors went all county.

I'm so happy with yesterday Minor win, their first since 1948. They will be "coming of age" to bury our All Ireland Jinx. Wonder how many of the winning side of 1948 were involved in 1959 All Ireland winning side. Many congratulations to the Deices Boys. Looking forward to see them coming home at 6pm today.

There was three anyway. Mick Flannelly from Mount Sion was the Captain in 48. Mickey O'Connor from Cappoquin a brother of WLR commentator Kieran was also involved as was Dungarvan's Tom Cunningham. There may be a fourth. There was a D. Whelan from Dungarvan involved in both games. I think his name may be Donal and was possibly known as Duck.

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Absolutely delighted for the lads, what a win! I can help but think about next year though, you can't deny it but there is going to be a lot of talk calling for Aussie Gleeson and Stephen Bennett to join the senior panel. Seamus Prendergast is getting close to retirement and we don't have many ball winners in the half forward line where Aussie plays for mount sion, and Stephen is just a phenomenal forward, but has also had a double hip operation last january. Do ye think it's too early for them to join up? could cause burn out or injury. Take for example Brian O' Halloran, one of the best minors I've ever seen in my life but davy absolutely ran him to the ground in his 1st year and basically threw him to the wolves against Tipp on 2010. Been so unlucky with injury with the last few years I really hope it changes because the guy is a serious prospect.

Its never too early if you are good enough. There is four or five of the team yesterday that will make the senior team over the next year or two. Next year is too early for the Two Curran's, as they may have another year left in Minor, but to bring the likes of Stephen Bennett into the senior set up would be no hard, to him or the county. There should be no pressure to play him in the big games but he could be used in some challenge games. Waterford I understand played Carlow etc once or twice this year. To give him, Austin Gleeson and maybe Tadhg Bourke and Kieran Power from last years team a half an hour or two in games like these would do them no harm. They would also be picking up experience training with the panel and they could also get a run out maybe in the Waterford Crystal Cup if drawn maybe against a college side.

Cant see it happening although no doubt he will be interviewed mainly due to the lack of credible candidates for the job within the county. From what I have heard that job is Derek McGraths if he wants it anyway.

If I was Sean Power Id be looking to get another term in charge of the minors if he really wanted to make a name for himself. There is a good crop coming next year again and from yesterdays panel Patrick Curran, Cormac Curran, Shane Bennett, Colm Roche, Conor Gleeson, Ed O'Halloran, Sean Clancy amongst some of the extended panel are on the age again next year. We will be serious contenders again as the group won Tony Forristal and Nenagh Plate last year.

Remember this?

Minors-nine-points-down-to-Cork.jpg

Nope, me neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

deiseach wrote: »
    Remember this?

Minors-nine-points-down-to-Cork.jpg

Nope, me neither.

I was at it. One of the best comebacks I've seen. Have to say I think Austin Gleeson is overrated as a centreback. Far too open and attack minded. Kevin Daly, Shane Bennett,Tom Devine,Pa Curren,Mikey Kearney were excellent yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Black Suir wrote: »
    You are about ten years late in saying 2006. The change in u14 came in 1996 when he hosted Feile. We hosted it again in 97. The move to change the structures was to be only for two years but all underage clubs wanted the new structure kept in place and even called for the under 16 competitions to go the same way. I think that was about 1998 or 99 (more than likely 98). Pat Grant the now secretary of the Western Adult Board became chairman of Board na nÓg in 2002 or 2003 and brought in an under 12 county final which was another good move and a year or two later the minors went all county.

The minors didn't go all county in 2004 or 2005. It was the 8th July 2008 the first minor club games were played all county and 12 months later on 12th July 2009 waterford were munster minor champions. In 2008, 2007, 2006 and 2005 waterford suffered heavy beatings against Cork at minor where the club structures were still divisional. The U12 was not an all county competition, only the winners of the east and west played in a county final, and I don't expext U12's to change to all county competions. Pat Grant from Fourmilewater was never in favour of all county structures and he was one of the men who favoured the motion at the start of this year to bring back the minor hurling and football club games to divisional competions.

Have to say I think Austin Gleeson is overrated as a centreback. Far too open and attack minded.

I kind of agree with that he was mentioned on the Sunday Game last night about being Brick Walshes long term successor but I dont think hes actually a natural centre back. Hes talented enough to play in any position at minor level but I can see him in the forwards or midfield for a few years before being considered ready for the switch to centre back at senior intercounty level. Brick and Ken were the same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Well done boys a great win and you could say just a tad overdue :p

Some wonderfull hurlers on that team and they will be a big plus to Waterford in the coming years, but I wouldn't be in any rush to bring them into Senir tbh, its a massive massive step up and some of the best minors I have seen have been ruined by been thrown in before their time. Slowly slowly does it.

Enjoy the celebrations tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Just saw the Sunday game there, Ger Loughnane had nothing but praise for Waterford? I can't believe my ears

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

What did ye think of Loughnane mentioning Donal Og to be Waterford manager? He was probably just joking but he said it a few times so I wonder was there anything more to it.

Fantastic turnout and atmosphere at the Mall just there for the homecoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

What did ye think of Loughnane mentioning Donal Og to be Waterford manager? He was probably just joking but he said it a few times so I wonder was there anything more to it.

Fantastic turnout and atmosphere at the Mall just there for the homecoming.

It was just a bit of banter really, id say its a complete non runner tbh. In fairness to Ger Loughnane he has given credit to Waterford teams in the past when we've played well but has been critical when we havent, which is all you'd expect from pundit.We seem to be overly sensitive to any criticism by people from other counties. This Loughnane hates everything Waterford is a myth. He was genuinely delighted for Waterford to win yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Fantastic stuff Sunday. Still floating on high. Well done to every single one of the team and backroom staff

Some great listening here from RTE radio coverage on Sunday if you want to get all emotional again :)

http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/#!/clip/809/?page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Black Suir wrote: »
    There was three anyway. Mick Flannelly from Mount Sion was the Captain in 48. Mickey O'Connor from Cappoquin a brother of WLR commentator Kieran was also involved as was Dungarvan's Tom Cunningham. There may be a fourth. There was a D. Whelan from Dungarvan involved in both games. I think his name may be Donal and was possibly known as Duck.

Duck Whelan was an Abbeyside man but I think Abbeyside didn't have a minor team in those days so they played with Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

WumBuster wrote: »
    It was just a bit of banter really, id say its a complete non runner tbh. In fairness to Ger Loughnane he has given credit to Waterford teams in the past when we've played well but has been critical when we havent, which is all you'd expect from pundit.We seem to be overly sensitive to any criticism by people from other counties. This Loughnane hates everything Waterford is a myth. He was genuinely delighted for Waterford to win yesterday.

Well Ger acknowledged his lack of popularity ,so he seems to be aware o fit, I can't remember getting more than a mixed review from him even if the other team were bate out the park

• Advertisement

Just saw the Sunday game there, Ger Loughnane had nothing but praise for Waterford? I can't believe my ears

"All the hurling world rejoices for Waterford" - Ger Loughnane after we won the Munster championship in 2002. He's an odd chap, is Ger.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement