Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not sure what happened ye today lads, but ye went backwards from the first game. Yes Cork 'turned up' but that still doesn't explain it. We always had spare couple of men to pass to. Some of the shooting was fairly poor too. I do think ye will be a lot better than that the next day though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

dzilla wrote: »
    dissappointing but i doubt we would have beaten clare. maybe the qualifiers is the route needed. we need to sharpen up, the young lads have it, the likes of dunford gleeseon etc, just need more practice to sharpen the shooting and the likes. not the end of the world and we're not the first team to go into the qualifiers so hopefully things get better

Look at how it worked for Clare last year, beaten in the first round. Its going to take time for the team to come together, its definitely a work in progress, which was shown in the first game. I know underage doesn't guarantee success, but it helps. Give McGrath time, next game will be vital to see how he turns it around. You can prepare excellently, think everything is alright, and it falls flat on its face, which is why I say the next game is the vital one for McGrath.

Bringing men back behind the ball, giving the Cork defenders time didn't work - and the intensity from Waterford dropped from the first day. Cork had number of players around the man in the ball in this game, whereas Waterford didn't. I'd reserve any judgement on Waterford management until the next game - it is a big learning curve for McGrath and his team as well

• Registered Users Posts: 35 deisedoz

Up there with the most.demoralising results of recent years and unfortunately becoming a more frequent occurrence. Beaten all over the park. Connors injury a huge blow from which we never recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

robopaddy wrote: »
    Embarrassing. Gutless performance. Management found out big time. Were back to the bad old days of the 80s and early 90s looking at that

i have no mass in Derek McGrath. and never will DLS went backwards under him. Now were going back to the stone age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Everyone said it comes down to the championship and here we are at the championship and we have to sit through that.

I'll always watch a Waterford performance through to the very end and today I very nearly turned it off with 10 minutes to go. Just not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

O Riain wrote: »
    Everyone said it comes down to the championship and here we are at the championship and we have to sit through that.

I'll always watch a Waterford performance through to the very end and today I very nearly turned it off with 10 minutes to go. Just not good enough.

I had to turn it off ( first time i ever did in all my years of supporting them )it was making me frustrated and putting me in bad form. cork looked to have an extra 20 men on the field

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Players and management have a bit of work to do.

Some difference when we're bringing on an aging Prendergast and Molumphy when they throw on Paidi O'Sullivan who scores within 5 secs of his arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Stream wasn't great for me, kept stalling, think it was my own internet. But Waterford were very disappointing. Cork were much better, their point-scoring improved a lot, but the same intensity wasn't there from Waterford.

Found it difficult to find space in attack, bar little flashes of what they could do. Disappointing from them though, maybe a qualifier run will do them good?

Stephen O'Keeffe was impressive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Stream wasn't great for me, kept stalling, think it was my own internet. But Waterford were very disappointing. Cork were much better, their point-scoring improved a lot, but the same intensity wasn't there from Waterford.

Stream went down constantly, you had to click play again and it worked - very annoying though

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Never rated McGrath, but was pleasantly surprised the last day that we played so well before fading late on. Anything we did well that day has been eroded badly today. I have no idea why he's so highly rated on here, he takes teams backwards and is tacticall inept for me. If we get taken apart in the qualifiers and dumped out of the championship early then he has to go. He's getting his chance, if he makes a balls of it then someone else deserves a go at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I said it before but was rubbished. Too much reliance on the old brigade. Absolutely shocking performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well we're not as good as the last day and not as bad as today. And I think we'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

What is it with some Waterford supporters here? Last week a lot of you rated your chances of beating Cork in the replay and rightly so and one bad display today and all of a sudden comments like management are a disgrace, mcgrath should go etc. are being dished out? Doesn't say a lot for some fans on here. Waterford still can come through qualifiers if they want it badly enough. Don't leave one bad day out sum up the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Amprodude wrote: »
    What is it with some Waterford supporters here? Last week a lot of you rated your chances of beating Cork in the replay and rightly so and one bad display today and all of a sudden comments like management are a disgrace mcgrath should go etc. are being dished out? Don't say a lot for some fans here. Waterford still can come through qualifiers if they want it badly enough. Don't leave one bad day out sum up the championship.

One bad day under management happens, a lot of bad days under management and you have to ask if they're up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

horrible scoreline and poor performance.

its a learning curve for alot of these younglads.

they'll improve in time.

we move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

I have to be honest and say that I thought todays performance was what we were going to get in the first game. Was surprised and delighted with draw but today was poor. Its not the end, but the qualifiers could be very tough if draw goes wrong. 28/29 June down for games so I would say our Club championship will be delayed again. From my reading the draw will be

Bowl 1 Offaly Gal/Kilk losers Dub/Wex losers and Laois or Antrim

Bowl 2 Us Tipp Clare/Cork losers and Laois or Antrim

Hslaw wrote: »
    why are you editing my posts

I was referring to Derek McGrath not Jimmy Barry Murphy

It does not matter who you were referring to - a note to all to read the first post in the thread, first point about personal abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Who would ye want?

Ye'd be favourites against Offaly & Laois/Antrim. Probably be slight favourites against Wexford, but it would be a tough game, and any of the other teams would be strong favourites against ye.

Obviously you want to progress as far as possible, but you also want to play decent teams to improve. I reckon Wexford would be the best draw for ye there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

As an outsider looking in. I think McGrath was right for the job. The players Waterford have aren't good enough. I agree that they underperformed today but look how useless Cork were in the first game and they still could have won. To say McGrath out is complete nonsense. The whole team is also riddled with injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

Going forward McGrath is the only man for the job, we are a work in progress. Sad to see the knockers on here yet a word could never be said about Scully fcuk sake. Get behind your county and stop this western bitterness ropaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Going forward McGrath is the only man for the job, we are a work in progress. Sad to see the knockers on here yet a word could never be said about Scully fcuk sake. Get behind your county and stop this western bitterness ropaire
    You are joking!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Just as the last day didnt make us All Ireland contenders, today doesnt make us the worst in country or anything like it.

This though was a very bad performance in most areas of the pitch (full back line and keeper excepted from this). Sluggish from the off, second to the ball so often and very poor first touch. Some serious regression from the last day from a lot of players, hate singling out players but Brian O Sullivan and Jamie Nagle went backwards a lot from the last day, Jake Dillon again wasnt great and Shane Walsh largely anonymous. The distribution all over the field both long and short was largely aimless and no intent. Tactically naive and the management team will need to take the criticism on this and improve for the next day. There seems to be a worrying lack of leaders on the pitch too.

On a positive note, Paudie Prendergast did very well when he was introduced early on for Noel Connors, Shane Fives and Tadgh De Burca good also. Stephen O Keeffe with some fantastic saves, but some shocking puck outs

Our forward unit seemed devoid of ideas, couldnt understand why just hafter midway point of the second half when trailing by 12/13 points and Seamus Prendergast started winning some ball we went for points when goals were needed to give us any chance

For the second week in a row, the management team left a clearly injured player on the pitch, Colin Dunford was clearly not right, and despite what he may have said to the physio he should have been taken off straight away, Maurice Shanahan (great to see him play today btw) was ready to come on but didnt. Not good enough

As for next, well a home draw in the qualifiers would be nice. Ideally against Offaly/Antrim/Laois. Just want to get the win and bit of a confidence boost (hopefully) and see what happens from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

The loss of Connor didn't help us but still the same issue not enough quality from forwards anyway the qualifers might suit them. Leave the management alone the are new with a lot to learn. Don't forget cork were in all Ireland final last year which they could have won. We took ten years to get to one. They should be beating us...this year but next year could be a different story. Let hope they recover and have a good run in the qualifers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Hslaw wrote: »
    No one to blame for the poor attendance only the GAA
    Prices are way to high considering people just don't have the money to buy tickets in this day and age. if they dropped the tickets by half price they might draw a bigger crowd.

I wouldn't blame the GAA for the poor attendance. I'd say 95% of the crowd was KK. Offaly didn't travel at all (fair dues to the few who did and hung around town afterwards). Ticket prices are set depending on the round of the championship not on who is playing. The ticket price was the same as Tipp/Lim and Cork/WD. If the ticket price was lowered for the KK/Off game I'm sure you'd have fans from other counties whingeing about how they have to pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

Waterford were very sluggish today second to every ball - Shane Fives + Dunford + O'Keeffe excepted everyone very poor - interplay was shocking. Some very brainless play today from some players, including the more experienced ones. Changes from last day weakened the team. Seamus put into a 2 man full forward line again !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

I can see a meeting being called in the Ramada any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Ropaire wrote: »
    One bad day under management happens, a lot of bad days under management and you have to ask if they're up to the job.

They should have beaten Cork first day out. They played very well and Cork were very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

TGV wrote: »
    The loss of Connor didn't help us but still the same issue not enough quality from forwards anyway the qualifers might suit them. Leave the management alone the are new with a lot to learn. Don't forget cork were in all Ireland final last year which they could have won. We took ten years to get to one. They should be beating us...this year but next year could be a different story. Let hope they recover and have a good run in the qualifers

Is this a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We are going nowhere this season. We will lose to Wexford.dublin,Galway and Laois wud give us a tough game.

Have a feeling we will get dublin or Galway away in the qualifiers.

The dates are sat 28th June or sat 5 July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

Motivator wrote: »
    Is this a joke?

So kicking out the manager mid way through the year is a goods idea? Who in their right mind would want the job. We were not good enough today but much of this surly has to be with the guys on the field.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement