Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

He had it too good in the way he was given whatever he wanted pretty much without question but a lot of the blame has to go to the yokels in the County Board bending over for him at ever oppertunity. Unfortunately there'll be no change there.
    Well unless someone can nail Tom with something next time he's out on the sidelines before a match. He does love the limelight

I think Tom has to stand down this year after compleating the maximum five years in the job. I am sure however there will only be a bit of musical chairs and as the five year rule comes in for different people we will see them move to a different chair. The clubs in the county have to wake up to this. By the way, I heard there is supposed to be two in the running for Tom's job.

Jarjohn wrote: »
    If there is anyone on here from the County Board could they please update and sort out the Waterford GAA website. No results for past week even though there was games and fixtures are lacking bigtime. A lot of championships in Adult grade have no fixtures set. It's madness as we now are in qualifiers near the end of June and should have a full club fixture list for the next 8 weeks at least. I have spoken with a number of other clubs who are also in the dark and nobody knows when games are on, and no notification of dates to club secretary.

It is pure madness alright. I have seen debates on twitter about it. Members of the County Board I know have seen it but do nothing about it. They should have a look at the Cork Website. They allow their PRO to keep it updated and she does a great job. Dont know what it will be like next year as they are due to appoint a new PRO at the end of the year. I heard her on the farming programme on radio 1 a few weeks back and think she said she is finished this year. Was on taking about how she is finishing up teaching and taking up a position with the IFA and some other group like it and the talk turned to Hurling. I think it was Marty Morrissey that was presenting it. In Waterford I dont know who is responsible for the website. Dont think it is the PRO. Emer does Twitter and Facebook and does a good job with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

The county board hasnt made a profit since 2008. Our deficit has actually been growing every year since then.
    2008 - +€33,970
    2009 - -€4,947
    2010 - -€94,221
    2011 - -€120,430
    2012 - -€212,271

2013 isnt on the waterfordgaa.ie site. Hasnt gotten much better since then iirc
    Reports are here if you wanna check yourself

How the he'll did we lose 212k. In 2012!?

skaface wrote: »
    I blame Jedward myself :-)

Sharon Shannon a year or two earlier proved to be just a big a hit.

blue note wrote: »

Good Question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Was that absolute disaster of a Jedward concert in Dungarvan in 2012? Or was that 2011?

It might carry on from the year before too. Not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

robopaddy wrote: »
    Anyone ever read the book by damien tiernan? just reading it myself now.. I know tis out a few years. but the one thing that strikes me was the money that was spent on the team particularly under davy fitz. Absolutely ludicrous stuff he should never have been left get away with it. No wonder were skint with the past 3 years quite conveniently since he left....

That book is complete rubbish littered with factual mistakes and hear say, it's a pity, it could have been a good book

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

That book is complete rubbish littered with factual mistakes and hear say, it's a pity, it could have been a good book

The only factual mistake I can remember was describing Nicky Cashin as a Kilkenny man. What other mistakes were there?

JeffKenna wrote: »
    The only factual mistake I can remember was describing Nicky Cashin as a Kilkenny man. What other mistakes were there?

I don't have the book in front of me but there is loads in there. Christ if he thought Nicky was a Kilkenny man ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

JeffKenna wrote: »

There is an absolute heap of mistakes in that book. Read a few years ago so can't remember exact examples but there is loads of mistakes relating to matches, years etc, like mixing up fixtures from different years, things of that nature. If he couldn't even get those facts right makes me fairly sceptical of the rest of the material in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Was that absolute disaster of a Jedward concert in Dungarvan in 2012? Or was that 2011?

It might carry on from the year before too. Not sure

Lost €40K in 2012 on it according to the accounts linked above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Slobbery wrote: »
    There is an absolute heap of mistakes in that book. Read a few years ago so can't remember exact examples but there is loads of mistakes relating to matches, years etc, like mixing up fixtures from different years, things of that nature. If he couldn't even get those facts right makes me fairly sceptical of the rest of the material in it

Yea like all the fans who poured out onto the field in ecstatic celebration in 02 after the munster final win v tipp.....

Yet anyone who remembers that day knows the fans never went onto the pitch that day. It is poor stuff alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

hardybuck wrote: »
    Define 'didn't look for a cent'? Are you suggesting he didn't receive any funding?

No. What I meant was he knew the co. Board was broke but never complained or didnt put any pressure on them for unneccesary expenses.

Compare that to the demands that davy fitz made and reports that hed 'walk' if they werent given this or given that.

Should have left him walk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

robopaddy wrote: »
    Yea like all the fans who poured out onto the field in ecstatic celebration in 02 after the munster final win v tipp.....

Yet anyone who remembers that day knows the fans never went onto the pitch that day. It is poor stuff alright

Wow 12 years ago. Seems like only yesterday I was watching Brazil win the World Cup in the Metropole before strolling into the pairc...kinda depressing!

The book was put together from those that play with and around the team at the time. If its is complete rubbish littered with factual mistakes and hear say, then it is those that helped put the book together that was telling lies. I think maybe that those that did not like it and still dont like it are those that do not want to admit what was happening at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

Black Suir wrote: »
    The book was put together from those that play with and around the team at the time. If its is complete rubbish littered with factual mistakes and hear say, then it is those that helped put the book together that was telling lies. I think maybe that those that did not like it and still dont like it are those that do not want to admit what was happening at the time.

It was a hugely disappointing book and it really seemed rushed out. There were typos and grammatical errors. With more thought it could have been a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

For me it was an interesting read. Unfortunately there were many inaccuracies, and these placed question marks over many things that were in all probability on the money

Black Suir wrote: »

Are you saying it wasn't littered with mistakes? It seemed it was rushed and wasn't proof read at all, as I said it had potential to be a great book and for me it was a bit of a let down, maybe I'm just a stickler for getting facts right if something is going to be published.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

My favourite blooper from that Damien Tiernan book is where he got the Baldy Man and the Metalman confused: 'the famous statue of the Baldy Man of Tramore looking down on them (players running the sand hills) from across the bay '

3ships wrote: »
    My favourite blooper from that Damien Tiernan book is where he got the Baldy Man and the Metalman confused: 'the famous statue of the Baldy Man of Tramore looking down on them (players running the sand hills) from across the bay '

Maybe he should have wrote a book about his own county - Wicklow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

blueflame wrote: »
    For me it was an interesting read. Unfortunately there were many inaccuracies, and these placed question marks over many things that were in all probability on the money

Ya, I'd agree with that. I thought it was a solid if unspectacular read

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Any Updates on the minor side for Wednesday night, anyone been following them ,? or have any news, Are all the players fit,?, How is P curran?, anything of note put it up?, Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Didnt the County Board get stung for 150k a few years ago which they were never going to get back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Didnt the County Board get stung for 150k a few years ago which they were never going to get back?

Yeah something to do with the treasurer, that was even before and not long into Davys time if I recall

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Any Updates on the minor side for Wednesday night, anyone been following them ,? or have any news, Are all the players fit,?, How is P curran?, anything of note put it up?, Thanks.

Last I heard P Curran got another knock to the head and suffered concussion
    if that's true he will not be available for selection, they played Kilkenny in a challenge a couple of weeks back and Roche was flying, cant remember the score, but won with a few points to spare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

if that's true he will not be available for selection, they played Kilkenny in a challenge a couple of weeks back and Roche was flying, cant remember the score, but won with a few points to spare

I take it they beat kilkenny comfortably then?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I take it they beat kilkenny comfortably then?

Wouldn't say comfortably. By 4 or five I think, but only a challenge though so I wouldn't read to much in to it

It was a hugely disappointing book and it really seemed rushed out. There were typos and grammatical errors. With more thought it could have been a classic.

But wasnt the book done using the words of others. Do people give out about the grammer of John Mullane etc when he speaks. To say "I love me County" afterall is not good grammer. Me should be my, but that is the way that many in and around Waterford city speak so it is accepted. As for the typos, pick up any publication and you will find them in it.

3ships wrote: »

A lot of people from Waterford dont know the difference between the metalman and the baldy man. I am from Co Waterford. I know that the Metalman is in tramore, but if you ask me to give directions i dont have a clue. Its ok picking out little things when you know where they are etc but not everyone does. My spelling of Irish names is not great, but would someone in tramore or the city area know the difference between say the cunnigar stand and poulaphuca in Ring.

• Advertisement

Played i dont know was it Tipp or Galway at the weekend somewhere around Thurles. Dont know how they got on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement