Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Yeah something to do with the treasurer, that was even before and not long into Davys time if I recall

There is an inaccuracy there in what you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Black Suir wrote: »

Did you edit the book yourself or something or why so defensive

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

robopaddy wrote: »

I wish someone would throw the book at him ☺☺

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

I think he was referring to the confusing quote, it was before Davy's time and not long into Davy's time all in the one sentence. Its mad what is left to talk about on here when the county team has gone so far backwards this year. I thought the book was an enjoyable read even though some dodgy waterford supporters perfer there was no coverage of the hurling period from 98 onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Basically a huge amount of match details in the book are wrong, ridiculous to bring out a book and have that many mistakes with regards to facts

That wasn't drawing from people's quotes, that was just getting basic facts wrong repeatedly and committing it to print. Inexcusable for any book

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Sorry I meant before or not long into.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

A lot of managers are like this, even here in Waterford. Would we have won the All-Ireland Minor level last year if we did not have such an exceptional group of players. I doubt it. I know there was some good people in the back room team, many of them who we heard very little from them, which i think is a good thing, they just got on with their job. Sean Power was the manager and took all the plaudits including leading the players over Rice Bridge on returning from Dublin. I feel that the players should have lead the way and the management team behind them, as its the players that are remembered for winning, not the management. I always had my doubts over Sean Power as a manager. I think the fact he is not with any of the inter county teams this years proves to an extent that it is the players we had that helped most last year. However it has not stopped sean from taking the lime light, and even gave the impression after the final when we were looking for a manager to replace skully (well we might have had one in waiting and only needed to be ratified) that he was interested in the job. It came across that way to me when i heard him interviewed on WLR a few days after the final.

I would consider this comment a disgrace, last years Minor manager managed the team from an U13 development squad the whole way through to Minor, he can hardly be compared to the Davy comment "A lot of managers are like this" the original poster said Davy took all the credit for good underage work and you say Power is the same after looking after the team since they were 13, seriously

The only reason he is not involved this year is because rightly or wrongly the County board have decided that who ever brings an underage team up along through the age groups should hold the team straight through to Minor

It is a bit petty to talk about carrying the cup or being put on the spot the week after the final on the radio, taking lime light? does he not deserve any credit??

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Deise_abu wrote: »
    I would consider this comment a disgrace, last years Minor manager managed the team from an U13 development squad the whole way through to Minor, he can hardly be compared to the Davy comment "A lot of managers are like this" the original poster said Davy took all the credit for good underage work and you say Power is the same after looking after the team since they were 13, seriously

The only reason he is not involved this year is because rightly or wrongly the County board have decided that who ever brings an underage team up along through the age groups should hold the team straight through to Minor

It is a bit petty to talk about carrying the cup or being put on the spot the week after the final on the radio, taking lime light? does he not deserve any credit??

Spot on development squads are doing some great work credit to the gda's, some ppl are too quick in this county to knock & begrudge lads an massive credit to selectors Coogs an sean & hurling coach wayne for what they done with Sean Power hopefully we will see these lad's again in the not too distant future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Spot on there. Slaying a guy like sean power who has been a terrific volunteer for underage hurling in the county over the years is just low and bitter. I dont think hes ever claimed to be a master tactician or anything but his role in the development of those players shouldnt be underestimated.
    No doubt he enjoyed the moment after the AI win but why wouldnt he hes been with this group since u14 when the limelight is very much off and I think he was very quick to credit the victory to the players. The begrudgery in this county baffles me sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

Shame there isn't an All Ireland in knocking your fellow county men. We'd win that hands down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

I think everyone know there was a problem with 'A' treasurer, but not to do with the county treasurer. I just got the feeling that the poster may be referring to the wrong person.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

Any Updates on the minor side for Wednesday night, anyone been following them ,? or have any news, Are all the players fit,?, How is P curran?, anything of note put it up?, Thanks.

Friend of mine attended in house game earlier on looking good. P Curran scored 1 -8 he said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Im sure last years Minor manager understands the system that is in place and to be perfectly honest I think its a very good system which can only have positive effects. I know it does seem a little harsh. The main positive being that the players grow up with the manager and in reverse he knows his best players in that age group, what each player is capable of, their best positions etc through working with them down the years. In other words he knows how to utilise his players in order to get the best out of them which is all you can ask from any manager. Its a pity we dont have such a system here in Kilkenny, we have manager at the moment who is clueless and has no idea how to use the players at his disposal, He threw in a load of players together V Dublin fresh from a Colleges Final who hadnt trained hardly including one player who was playing his first match all year after injury, our next game V Carlow had a raft of changes and players who were playing the previous day moved to the other end of the field to start the game where we hammered them and now were playing Laois tomorrow with another raft of changes again. So you see It is a pretty good system as the manager knows how to use his players through working with them down the years where with the other system its just a leap of faith really that the manager will know what is required when the time comes

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Heard this morning that we beat Limerick in a challenge on Thursday, scoring 1-23 but Jamie Barron suffered an injury on his return to the team. Our luck with injuries this year really is shocking. Also Brian O Sullivan apparently got a 2 match ban for his strike at the start of the Cork replay, anyone hear more about the match or ban?

KevIRL wrote: »
    Heard this morning that we beat Limerick in a challenge on Thursday, scoring 1-23 but Jamie Barron suffered an injury on his return to the team. Our luck with injuries this year really is shocking. Also Brian O Sullivan apparently got a 2 match ban for his strike at the start of the Cork replay, anyone hear more about the match or ban?

To answer my own question re the suspension, it is confirmed

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/oversight-prevents-deacuteises-osullivan-from-appealing-his-two-match-ban-272871.html

This is shocking stuff from the county board, telling the player and management team after it was too late to appeal. An appeal may not have been fully successful as video evidence is pretty damning but might have gotten the severity reduced to a 1 match duration.

To answer my own question re the suspension, it is confirmed

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/oversight-prevents-deacuteises-osullivan-from-appealing-his-two-match-ban-272871.html

This is shocking stuff from the county board, telling the player and management team after it was too late to appeal. An appeal may not have been fully successful as video evidence is pretty damning but might have gotten the severity reduced to a 1 match duration.

He deserved all of it to be fair, but other players aren't getting punished similarly. I'm not claiming an anti Waterford bias for a second, as do so would be ridiculous, but we have had two players suspended previously for nothing.

What disgusts me is that it appears the CCCC will only act if the incident is highlighted on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Im sure last years Minor manager understands the system that is in place and to be perfectly honest I think its a very good system which can only have positive effects. I know it does seem a little harsh. The main positive being that the players grow up with the manager and in reverse he knows his best players in that age group, what each player is capable of, their best positions etc through working with them down the years. In other words he knows how to utilise his players in order to get the best out of them which is all you can ask from any manager.

I'd agree it's mostly a positive thing to have the same manager all the way up but I don't think there's no negative effects whatsoever.

Firstly you need to be damn sure that the fella being appointed is good if he is going through with them for 5 years (imagine being stuck with a well meaning incompetent manager for 5 years) and secondly human nature being what it is, a lot of managers will have their pets, and a manager might be more likely to play (and stick with) a kid who was outstanding at u-14 level but who has actually fallen back into the pack by minor, as opposed to going with a kid at minor level who was average at 14 but was a late developer and is actually a better player at age 18. Sometimes a fresh eye might be a benefit basically.

He deserved all of it to be fair, but other players aren't getting punished similarly. I'm not claiming an anti Waterford bias for a second, as do so would be ridiculous, but we have had two players suspended previously for nothing.

What disgusts me is that it appears the CCCC will only act if the incident is highlighted on tv.

Perhaps he does deserve the 2, certainly deserves a 1 match ban. But for him and the management team to be denied the option of appeal due to incompetence of the county board is not acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

I'm assuming the cork player who pulled across Austin Gleeson just before half time got a similar two match ban?

osullivan is no loss anyway
    Need to get the likes of barron back thoe

• Advertisement

How did he get banned for that? In all honesty that was nothing, he just hit him a dawk with the hurley that happens in every game, there will be no-one left to play if fellas are getting suspended for that.

Plus the county board should hang their heads in shame, disgraceful stuff, looks like we are really swimming against the tide, god knows what other brain dead stuff they are doing

Perhaps he does deserve the 2, certainly deserves a 1 match ban. But for him and the management team to be denied the option of appeal due to incompetence of the county board is not acceptable

Just read the article, no excuse for that of true.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

osullivan is no loss anyway
    Need to get the likes of barron back thoe

Disgraceful comment, he's a Waterford player and deserves to be treated better by our county board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

Why two match ban and not one? I thought a red is usually a one match ban? It probably was a red, I'm a bit surprised that it's been punished retrospectively when there are plenty of things we see regularly that probably should have been red. But if that was judged to have been more serious than a regular red that's disgraceful.

Disgraceful comment, he's a Waterford player and deserves to be treated better by our county board.

In my opinion not up to inter-county no disrespect to him, don't see how it was disgraceful get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

How many Cork, Tipperary, Kilkenny and Dublin players have been suspended this year? Seems that all the players from those counties are saints.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

In my opinion not up to inter-county no disrespect to him, don't see how it was disgraceful get a grip

How good or not that The player is or isn't is not the issue, whether he was first name on the team sheet or not he should be looked after by the county board, it wouldn't happen in any other county.

How good or not that The player is or isn't is not the issue, whether he was first name on the team sheet or not he should be looked after by the county board, it wouldn't happen in any other county.

Never argued that point for a second so I don't know why your getting so worked up

• Advertisement

carter10 wrote: »
    I'm assuming the cork player who pulled across Austin Gleeson just before half time got a similar two match ban?

Didn't see the incident in question at the time, or after so I can't say anything to be honest.

I do know for a fact though that Tom Condon ending Niall O'Meara's game was shown as a replay both during and at night on the Sunday Game and yet was conveniently over looked. Don't care whether the Sunday Game highlight it or not, but if it's so plain for me to see then how was he not given a 2 match ban? Do the CCCC not watch games?

Given the O'Sullivan incident was only shown during the game which was an online stream, if RTE hadn't decided to mention it then he would have gotten away with it. Again, that wouldn't be the right thing but it's clear the structures the GAA have in place are completely wrong when one fella gets away with it and another doesn't.

And the fact we've had two lads banned for **** all, particularly Shane O'Sullivan (same Referee they didn't want to undermine at the time I might add being the one in charge for the Cork game), shows that unless Ger Loughnane or the like highlight it nothing will be done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement