Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Disgraceful comment, he's a Waterford player and deserves to be treated better by our county board.

Completely agree .Once you don a county jersey you deserve all the support and backing a county board can give. It does not matter if you are the best or not you still put in the same effort for your county. I feel sorry for the guy and especially as it appears to be a very harsh punishment though digging the butt of a hurl into an opponent (if that is what he did) has to be stamped out. It is a cowardly enough act but it is prevalent in every county and generally goes unpunished.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Imagine Ned Quinn in Kilkenny or Frank Murphy in Cork being given this info? All avenues would have been explored to try to at least get the suspension halved. Was the same done by our Tom? Until a statement comes out as to why this didn't happen I will hold fire but previous f**k ups by the "key stone cops" running our board would point to a lack of intelligence to say the least!. God only knows what they were up to!
    No player should be treated as shabbily if what we hear is true. Scandalous,so il wait to hear the explanation from Tom to see their reasons for their latest comedy of errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

What you need is people with the drive, intellect and ambition to run the county board like its a serious business, this current situation is a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

KevIRL wrote: »
    Heard this morning that we beat Limerick in a challenge on Thursday, scoring 1-23 but Jamie Barron suffered an injury on his return to the team. Our luck with injuries this year really is shocking. Also Brian O Sullivan apparently got a 2 match ban for his strike at the start of the Cork replay, anyone hear more about the match or ban?

That's a shame about Barron if true , as for O Sullivan , its poor treatment by county board , just another addition to a long list of F*** ups by our County board, Cant say that O Sullivan would be a big loss but that's not the point , Had the opportunity to see training in kill on Tue and they were moving well, Frank Flannery and Derek McGrath seem to be doing the coaching between them and I have to say that the drills that Flannery was implementing were excellent, but could not say the same of the drills Derek was doing, what surprised me was that they only played a 10 min game before finishing off with what I would feel was a poor straight line hand passing drill with McGrath that would have little in common with match simulation, the other thing that disappointing was that they did no point shooting what so ever in in drill format or during game (seemed to be all going for goal, Hopefully this was just that night in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That's a shame about Barron if true , as for O Sullivan , its poor treatment by county board , just another addition to a long list of F*** ups by our County board, Cant say that O Sullivan would be a big loss but that's not the point , Had the opportunity to see training in kill on Tue and they were moving well, Frank Flannery and Derek McGrath seem to be doing the coaching between them and I have to say that the drills that Flannery was implementing were excellent, but could not say the same of the drills Derek was doing, what surprised me was that they only played a 10 min game before finishing off with what I would feel was a poor straight line hand passing drill with McGrath that would have little in common with match simulation, the other thing that disappointing was that they did no point shooting what so ever in in drill format or during game (seemed to be all going for goal, Hopefully this was just that night in particular

Sounds identical to what I was told about the training sessions before the cork game (the 2nd anyway. Didnt hear about any before the 1st)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

Given that we have less financial resources than other counties we should be looking to be as organised as possible to maximise what we have. Doesn't seem like that's the case. One poster called the county chairman a muck savage - think that there are possibly too many nice guys on the team and not enough muck savages - too many nice college guys who don't fight hard enough when the **** hits the fan during games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Completely agree .Once you don a county jersey you deserve all the support and backing a county board can give. It does not matter if you are the best or not you still put in the same effort for your county. I feel sorry for the guy and especially as it appears to be a very harsh punishment though digging the butt of a hurl into an opponent (if that is what he did) has to be stamped out. It is a cowardly enough act but it is prevalent in every county and generally goes unpunished.

Bottom line here he deserves the suspension if thats what he did. No point complaining about what other counties have gotten away with just a waste of time. If this player could put this sort of aggression in the right context when fighting for the ball hed be a better assett to the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Slobbery wrote: »
    What you need is people with the drive, intellect and ambition to run the county board like its a serious business, this current situation is a farce

Yea ive nothing against tom personally hes a decent enough fellah and a genuine gaa man but we need someone stronger to oversee the running of the gaa in the county. We are in a mess and have been for sometime but the current crew are happy to just saunter along and play it down so long as they dont upset anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

but could not say the same of the drills Derek was doing, what surprised me was that they only played a 10 min game before finishing off with what I would feel was a poor straight line hand passing drill with McGrath that would have little in common with match simulation, the other thing that disappointing was that they did no point shooting what so ever in in drill format or during game (seemed to be all going for goal, Hopefully this was just that night in particular

You have just highlighted the reason why Waterford have been performing so poorly this year. Its not much use if the players are flying in training and are happy out if they are doing the wrong type of training. Having them run in a straight line while hand passing a ball between them is a total waste of time from a training session. The time spent at a session needs to be maximised and they need to be provided with situations that is close to championship game time. Cody does it by having games at 25 minutes each half and blows the whistle only to start and finish the game or when a player is hurt.

Clare have changed the way training is done in the last few years and it is all about high intensity games beteen groups of players with limited space to improve their decision making under pressure. And here in Waterford our players have been lulled into a false sense of achievement undergoing 'going through the motions' training by Derek that is not going to bring them on. It's no wonder our lads have been flat in far too many games this year. Derek talks about waterford been a force in hurling over the next few years, but that will go out the window if the underage talent coming through are involved in that type of training with the county team.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

Never argued that point for a second so I don't know why your getting so worked up

I'm not getting worked up at all but you said the lad wasn't upto inter county standard and is no loss, implying that it doesn't matter that the county board failed him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

You have just highlighted the reason why Waterford have been performing so poorly this year. Its not much use if the players are flying in training and are happy out if they are doing the wrong type of training. Having them run in a straight line while hand passing a ball between them is a total waste of time from a training session. The time spent at a session needs to be maximised and they need to be provided with situations that is close to championship game time. Cody does it by having games at 25 minutes each half and blows the whistle only to start and finish the game or when a player is hurt.

Clare have changed the way training is done in the last few years and it is all about high intensity games beteen groups of players with limited space to improve their decision making under pressure. And here in Waterford our players have been lulled into a false sense of achievement undergoing 'going through the motions' training by Derek that is not going to bring them on. It's no wonder our lads have been flat in far too many games this year. Derek talks about waterford been a force in hurling over the next few years, but that will go out the window if the underage talent coming through are involved in that type of training with the county team.

The benefit of the way that Clare in particular were prepared was very clear against us in the league game earlier this year, they always looked confortable to give and take a pass under pressure and knew how and when to take a score. Last time out vs Cork our hand passing was great to be fair, so much so lads were laying off an extra handpass while in space instead of tackin one over the bar. We did ****all else well though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

The last few years eh? Worked well in 2012 didn't it?

And what will our viewpoint of the revolution be if they get knocked out in the next round?

Do you attend training regularly as a matter of interest?

The draw tomorrow morning will reveal all. A home draw is the best we can hope for I suppose. Who will get the nod instead of Brian O Sullivan? Barron and Barry are both out with hand injuries and could miss the u21 and Maurice is unavailable aswell. I'd like to see Donnelly get a chance,he's aggressive and isn't afraid to take punishment when in pursuit of green flags! Darragh Fives must surely come in at wing back and maybe Gavin O Brien deserves a fair crack the next day aswell.

cul beag wrote: »
    The draw tomorrow morning will reveal all. A home draw is the best we can hope for I suppose. Who will get the nod instead of Brian O Sullivan? Barron and Barry are both out with hand injuries and could miss the u21 and Maurice is unavailable aswell. I'd like to see Donnelly get a chance,he's aggressive and isn't afraid to take punishment when in pursuit of green flags! Darragh Fives must surely come in at wing back and maybe Gavin O Brien deserves a fair crack the next day aswell.

What's Dunford's status?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Be interesting to see what Galway team turns up today...
    Whatever happens, should be a lot of interest in the hurling draw in the morning!!

What's Dunford's status?

Think he'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

The last few years eh? Worked well in 2012 didn't it?

And what will our viewpoint of the revolution be if they get knocked out in the next round?

Do you attend training regularly as a matter of interest?

In 2012 Davy was in his first year with Clare and he persisted with his way which included over doing the handpassing and short pases. It was after the Cork game last year Clare changed to the system that was bringing them success at underage starting with minor in 2010.

I dont expect them to get knocked out in the next round. They are going for 3 under 21 titles in a row this year using their new training methods and are operating at a higher level than at any time in the county's history.

Mountainlad, do you accept hurling drills and lateral handpassing is the best way to get them up to championship pace or would the time involved at training be more productive if they were involved in more competitive games and targeted scoring under pressure.

In 2012 Davy was in his first year with Clare and he persisted with his way which included over doing the handpassing and short pases. It was after the Cork game last year Clare changed to the system that was bringing them success at underage starting with minor in 2010.

I dont expect them to get knocked out in the next round. They are going for 3 under 21 titles in a row this year using their new training methods and are operating at a higher level than at any time in the county's history.

Mountainlad, do you accept hurling drills and lateral handpassing is the best way to get them up to championship pace or would the time involved at training be more productive if they were involved in more competitive games and targeted scoring under pressure.

Lateral handpassing is a pretty poor drill if its done rugby style with one line moving towards the other side then giving he ball to the other side who do the same. If it was focused possession, handpass only when your under pressure that would be more suitable.

I don't think one drill like that though makes an entire training session redundant. All the best coaches will have high intensity drills for the players when coaching them. Yes, it is important to simulate match situations but I don't think by extension you have to have 50 minute matches at every session. Actually think it would be counterproductive if all the hurling based training ie not physical, was match based.

Consider Corks philosophy when they won two all irelands. Their warmups were based on each player receiving 50+ touches of a ball before they played competitive matches. Now, if you just play a match, how many times will the corner forwards touch the ball? Not often, and this is the position in which arguably requires the best first touch. So how do they develop in this situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems the classic case of everything is going wrong when you lose a championship game, whereas beat Cork the first day and Derek McGrath was a magician. Just look at the sounds coming out of Clare since they lost, Clubs demanding players be released, a Co Chairman claiming the responsibility of the Senior team now lies with clubs and not management, a call for an investigation into a ref, manager questioning dual commitments leading tk rumours of one of the star players, along with the emergence of rumours around the dropping of a goalkeeper, as well as talk of another player being dropped as well. It's pretty typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Lateral handpassing is a pretty poor drill if its done rugby style with one line moving towards the other side then giving he ball to the other side who do the same. If it was focused possession, handpass only when your under pressure that would be more suitable.

I don't think one drill like that though makes an entire training session redundant. All the best coaches will have high intensity drills for the players when coaching them. Yes, it is important to simulate match situations but I don't think by extension you have to have 50 minute matches at every session. Actually think it would be counterproductive if all the hurling based training ie not physical, was match based.

Consider Corks philosophy when they won two all irelands. Their warmups were based on each player receiving 50+ touches of a ball before they played competitive matches. Now, if you just play a match, how many times will the corner forwards touch the ball? Not often, and this is the position in which arguably requires the best first touch. So how do they develop in this situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems the classic case of everything is going wrong when you lose a championship game, whereas beat Cork the first day and Derek McGrath was a magician. Just look at the sounds coming out of Clare since they lost, Clubs demanding players be released, a Co Chairman claiming the responsibility of the Senior team now lies with clubs and not management, a call for an investigation into a ref, manager questioning dual commitments leading tk rumours of one of the star players, along with the emergence of rumours around the dropping of a goalkeeper, as well as talk of another player being dropped as well. It's pretty typical.

Your right cannot judge quality of training by 1 drill at 1 session, as long as that is all it is, as for first touch, over a hour of drills and warm up would give all the players plenty of ball time, but no drill beats match practice, and having to wait for a ball to come in to the corner is part of the game, but one of the ways to tackle this is to play adapted smaller games in tight spaces between less players , this will give all the players more ball time in tighter match like situations.

Result today going to make the draw even more interesting now

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

After the 1st game v cork a lot people said kk would never throw away a 9 point lead...

• Advertisement

Waiting for PTH2009 to come on and tell us how he feels we will draw the losers of Kilkenny/Galway tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Are we definitely playing next Saturday lads or is it the following Saturday?
    What if we draw the losers of Gal/KK, it'd be Sat week for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Cake Man wrote: »
    Are we definitely playing next Saturday lads or is it the following Saturday?
    What if we draw the losers of Gal/KK, it'd be Sat week for sure?

all qualifiers will be played next week bar the loosers of kilkenny/galway which will take place on the 5th of july

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

The Galway supporters must be so frustrated year in year out, knowing that their team
    can play like they did today but like Waterford also over the past decade were not consistent
    enough to reach the holy grail..
    Thought the ref was poor enough today, that Ki!Kenny keeper made some great saves today.
    Best game of the championship so far by a mile, some intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

KevIRL wrote: »
    Waiting for PTH2009 to come on and tell us how he feels we will draw the losers of Kilkenny/Galway tomorrow

It's hard to tell but I could be right lol

Laois at home then

• Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So it's Laois at home

Sorry guys my prediction was wrong. Hopefully we can beat Laois it will be hard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Phew!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I'll take it!

• Advertisement

Have to be happy with the draw. If we're to get through I presume it's an open draw for the round before the quarter finals?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement