Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Once antrim were paired Offaly in the first game, laois at home was the best outcome we could have hoped for.

Hopefully though Theres no over confidence or complacency in the team as laois have improved hugely under plunkett.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

KevIRL wrote: »
    Once antrim were paired Offaly in the first game, laois at home was the best outcome we could have hoped for.

Hopefully though Theres no over confidence or complacency in the team as laois have improved hugely under plunkett.

Wouldn't think so.. Lots of media outlets will have laois tipped to take a scalp here so the players will know what they are up against.. Laois have improved but are no world beaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

They have, but on the other side if we can't beat Laois It'd probably be the worse result since Kerry in '93.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

After the 1st game v cork a lot people said kk would never throw away a 9 point lead...

I dunno why people are saying 9 points. Kilkenny were up by 10 points with about 6 minutes left.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The match will probley be played the coming sat evening but with the ken McGrath challenge on Friday night the Laois match cud be played on the 5th July

It will be confusing with both blue and white

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

All I wanted was a home draw. Not that it's likely but a scramble for tickets would be nice, haven't had one of them in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

When are the footballers playing Carlow? I thought that was this Saturday. Surely they wont clash?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

JeffKenna wrote: »
    They have, but on the other side if we can't beat Laois It'd probably be the worse result since Kerry in '93.

Jesus wept...hardly remember drubbings we got in an all Ireland and a Munster final no??

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Jesus wept...hardly remember drubbings we got in an all Ireland and a Munster final no??

For everyone's mental health, can those results be NEVER mentioned here ever again

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

it will be no walk in the park thats for sure. Laois ran Galway to the pin of their collar the past two years

• Advertisement

I suppose it's all a matter of opinion. After winning the u21 in 92 and with an air of optimism in the county I would consider losing to Kerry in 93 a far worse result than a tactical farce against Tipp and god well I won't even describe the all ireland but it was a hammering against probably the greatest team ever to have played the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Do the Loais County Board have much cash? Our lads are probably frantically trying to sell home advantage for a few bob as we speak

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

Hslaw wrote: »
    it will be no walk in the park thats for sure. Laois ran Galway to the pin of their collar the past two years

Ya but both games were in Portlaoise which is a tight pitch and a large vocal crowd getting behind them. They crowded out their midfield/half back line and struck monstrous long range points. Take them out of Portlaoise and they're a completely different proposition i believe.

Anyone know when the fixture will be confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

CCCC meeting this afternoon to confirm fixtures, looking like Walsh Park next Saturday evening at 7-00.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

I suppose it's all a matter of opinion. After winning the u21 in 92 and with an air of optimism in the county I would consider losing to Kerry in 93 a far worse result than a tactical farce against Tipp and god well I won't even describe the all ireland but it was a hammering against probably the greatest team ever to have played the game.
    Would agree with you on that. When you look back at that u21 team really all that came out of it that were a long term success at senior were Flynn,Hartley and Tony. Many of them were tried at senior but failed miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

cul beag wrote: »
    Would agree with you on that. When you look back at that u21 team really all that came out of it that were a long term success at senior were Flynn,Hartley and Tony. Many of them were tried at senior but failed miserably.

If a trio like that is all we get out of last year's Minors I'll be turning cartwheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 deisedoz

You would like to think that the Laois game would be moved out to the following weekend on account of Ken's game but that would be too much like common sense...

This game will really expose how much our support levels have fallen I fear. In terms of the game itself, probably as good a draw as we could have hoped for and clearly we're in with a good chance of progressing. Interesting to see what happens jersey wise...

Kens game on the friday. Can't see that having much impact on attendance tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

cul beag wrote: »

Probably a bit unfair to a few guys there.

Johnny Brenner was an excellent senior hurler for a few years
    Probably got a year or 2 out of Tom Fives also
    Although never fulfilling his potential Growler was decent at senior level too and Layla would also have to be considered as a guy who had a decent year or two
    Obviously Tony and Fergal had were the exceptional graduates from that team

and truth be told Flynn was from the 92 minor team, which in fairness through up a few lads who showed well at senior level

Tom Feeney was a very good servant to the senior team
    Anthony Kirwan also put in a decent shift at senior level, would can forget the performance in the drawn game of 98
    Joxer is another that gave decent service at senior level all be not for as long
    Ger Harris and the Derek McGrath were around the panel for a few years too

It is probably worth remembering that Barry Walsh, Gater, Dan, Bennett, Ken, Eoin Murphy, and Kelly all arrived on the panel around a year or a couple of years after them guys and were far better hurlers, hopefully if the guys from last years minor team don't make a break through it is as a result of better hurlers coming up behind them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

game is on Sat 28th June at 7pm in Walsh Park

The footballers are playing in Carlow on Sat at 2pm.

If the footballers win they will play either
    Kildare/Meath
    Clare (Dont think they can play them again)
    Armagh/Monaghan
    Roscommon
    in Round 2B

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

I suppose it's a favorable draw for us, no disrespect to Laois.
    The home draw should be a big advantage for us, however Laois have improved hugely
    over the past two seasons and cannot be taken lightly.
    Hopefully the Waterford supporters will come out in Big numbers to support the team
    and maybe we can kick start our season on Saturday evening.

Allow me to engage with an all to rare bit of optimism for this thread.

- On Saturday we overcome a stiff Laois challenge, never fully comfortable, we get there in the end by 3 points
    - In the draw for the next round of the qualifiers we get Antrim at home, and actually have a more comfortable game than against Laois to run out 7 point winners
    - The All Ireland Quarter final draw pits us against Limerick, who are somewhat deflated after losing their Munster title to Cork. We on the otherhand are seeing confidence rising after a couple of wins and some injured players getting back to full fitness, we start like a train and despite a Limerick recovery, Waterford have enough to win by 2 points
    - New Leinster champions Kilkenny await in the semi final and in a huge shock we catch them cold to win by 4points. Afterwards the general feeling is Kilkenny were over confident and had one eye on the All Ireland final
    - In September we face Dublin in the all Ireland final. Massive hype surrounds the Dubs as they aim to do a hurling/football double. The consensus about Waterford is a young team who will be back but these has come too soon for them. On the day the Dubs freeze under the expectation and Waterford led by seasoned campaigners Kevin Moran and Brick Walsh (MOTM) win by 5 points

QED

Allow me to engage with an all to rare bit of optimism for this thread.

- On Saturday we overcome a stiff Laois challenge, never fully comfortable, we get there in the end by 3 points
    - In the draw for the next round of the qualifiers we get Antrim at home, and actually have a more comfortable game than against Laois to run out 7 point winners
    - The All Ireland Quarter final draw pits us against Limerick, who are somewhat deflated after losing their Munster title to Cork. We on the otherhand are seeing confidence rising after a couple of wins and some injured players getting back to full fitness, we start like a train and despite a Limerick recovery, Waterford have enough to win by 2 points
    - New Leinster champions Kilkenny await in the semi final and in a huge shock we catch them cold to win by 4points. Afterwards the general feeling is Kilkenny were over confident and had one eye on the All Ireland final
    - In September we face Dublin in the all Ireland final. Massive hype surrounds the Dubs as they aim to do a hurling/football double. The consensus about Waterford is a young team who will be back but these has come too soon for them. On the day the Dubs freeze under the expectation and Waterford led by seasoned campaigners Kevin Moran and Brick Walsh (MOTM) win by 5 points

QED

If Carlberg did dreams...

Only change I'd make to that is meeting cork in the final. cork are well ahead at half time, a Waterford comeback begins...two points down with 2 minutes of injury time played...what happens next I wonder??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

Only change I'd make to that is meeting cork in the final. cork are well ahead at half time, a Waterford comeback begins...two points down with 2 minutes of injury time played...what happens next I wonder??

We'd probably lose :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

We'd probably lose :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

We bring on Dan I suppose!

IF we beat Laois on Saturday, is it a home or away draw or will it be a neutral venue???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

What's the capacity in Walsh Park now? Should be handy enough to get tickets?
    deisedoz wrote: »
    Interesting to see what happens jersey wise...
    It's the GAA so wouldn't be surprised too see a colour clash. There was a game on TV only a few weeks ago and both teams wearing the same colour, so stupid.

• Advertisement

Think capacity is 18,000 or thereabouts.. No shortage of tickets for this methinks ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement