Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

KevIRL wrote: »
    Allow me to engage with an all to rare bit of optimism for this thread.

- On Saturday we overcome a stiff Laois challenge, never fully comfortable, we get there in the end by 3 points
    - In the draw for the next round of the qualifiers we get Antrim at home, and actually have a more comfortable game than against Laois to run out 7 point winners
    - The All Ireland Quarter final draw pits us against Limerick, who are somewhat deflated after losing their Munster title to Cork. We on the otherhand are seeing confidence rising after a couple of wins and some injured players getting back to full fitness, we start like a train and despite a Limerick recovery, Waterford have enough to win by 2 points
    - New Leinster champions Kilkenny await in the semi final and in a huge shock we catch them cold to win by 4points. Afterwards the general feeling is Kilkenny were over confident and had one eye on the All Ireland final
    - In September we face Dublin in the all Ireland final. Massive hype surrounds the Dubs as they aim to do a hurling/football double. The consensus about Waterford is a young team who will be back but these has come too soon for them. On the day the Dubs freeze under the expectation and Waterford led by seasoned campaigners Kevin Moran and Brick Walsh (MOTM) win by 5 points

QED

I do love optimism:pac::pac:

in all seriousness.....it will be interesting to see how they go about it....be nice to have rare championship match at home...will Waterford have enough fitness/hunger to beat them....they should like

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Minor match Wednesday night fixed for Dungarvan at 7.30, could have sworn it was originally on in Walsh Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

1. Billy Nolan Roanmore
    2. Eddie Hayden Ballygunner
    3. M.J. Sutton Ferrybank
    4. Michael Cronin Ardmore
    5. Conor Prunty Abbeyside/Ballinacourty
    6. Colm Roche Shamrocks
    7. Jack Mullaney Stradbally
    8. Darragh Lyons Dungarvan
    9. Andy Molumby Cappoquin
    10. Shane Bennett Ballysaggart
    11. Conor Gleeson Fourmilewater
    12. Cormac Curran Brickey Rangers
    13. Peter Hogan Ballygunner
    14.Aaron O Sullivan Cappoquin
    15. Patrick Curran Dungarvan

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

cul beag wrote: »
    Would agree with you on that. When you look back at that u21 team really all that came out of it that were a long term success at senior were Flynn,Hartley and Tony. Many of them were tried at senior but failed miserably.

I believe that were it not for the disastrous appointment of George Leahy for the three years 1992-94, both Johnny Brenner and Growler Daly - two superb hurlers - would have stayed on and become major figures for Waterford. In my view, Leahy's failure to bring Brenner on in the Munster semi-final against Limerick in 1992 until it was too late cost us that game. Brenner wasn't on the starting team as he was doing college exams at the time. Three days later, he hurled Brian Corcoran off the field in the Under 21 semi-final in Walsh Park.

Leahy, of course, presided over Waterford's defeat against Kerry in 1993 and, as I recall it, Brenner, realising that Waterford were going nowhere, dropped out to focus on his career. Daly also fell by the wayside. It was a great pity, as Brenner (at midfield) and Daly (at full forward) had a great understanding. Brenner and Daly both made brief comeback attempts under Gerald McCarthy at different times but they didn't work out. In fact, I think that bringing Daly in for Anthony Kirwan for the 1998 All-Ireland semi-final probably cost us that game (as did the selection of Hawley White instead of Billy O'Sullivan).

Mark O'Sullivan from the 1992 Under 21 team also established a place for himself on the senior team but was punished very harshly by Gerald McCarthy for a mistake he made against Cork in the 1998 National League Final and I don't think played for Waterford again.

1. Billy Nolan Roanmore
    3. M.J. Sutton Ferrybank
    6. Colm Roche Shamrocks

This team shows five changes in personnel and a number of positional switches from the team which beat Clare in the first round in Ennis. MJ Sutton (a member of last year's panel who has been injured) comes in at full back with Eddie Hayden moving to the right corner in place of David Prendergast. It will be interesting to see how Sutton gets on against Clare's main danger man Aaron Shanagher, who is very tall and quite a handful.

Michael Cronin, a regular in last year's Dungarvan Colleges team, comes in at left corner with Darragh Lyons moving to midfield and Conor Gleeson moving from there to centre forward. Bringing Cronin on and moving Lyons to midfield played an important role in Waterford's late comeback against Clare the first day.

Conor Prunty remains at right half back with Colm Roche (centre forward in last year's team and injured all year) coming in at centre back, releasing Shane Bennett to right half forward. Jack Mullaney replaces Shane Murray at left half back.

Andy Molumby moves out from left corner forward to midfield instead of Edmond O'Halloran. Molumby made a big impression at midfield in a recent challenge against Dublin. Cormac Curran moves from centre forward to the left wing instead of team captain Shane Ryan. I think Curran's ability in the air, especially from puckouts, can be better utilised on the wing.

Peter Hogan stays at right corner forward with Patrick Curran moving to the left corner and Aaron O'Sullivan coming in at full forward. He also impressed in this position against Dublin.

I think Eddie Meaney, who made a big impact when he came on against Clare in Ennis and also in the Dublin challenge, is unlucky not to start.

Assuming the team lines out as listed, only three players (goalkeeper Billy Nolan, Conor Prunty and Peter Hogan) start in the same positions as in the first game. A lot will depend on how Sutton and Roche do after long injury layoffs, but it does look like a better team than that which started the first day. If they can get their minds right on the night they should have too much for Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Giveitfong wrote: »
    This team shows five changes in personnel and a number of positional switches from the team which beat Clare in the first round in Ennis. MJ Sutton (a member of last year's panel who has been injured) comes in at full back with Eddie Hayden moving to the right corner in place of David Prendergast. It will be interesting to see how Sutton gets on against Clare's main danger man Aaron Shanagher, who is very tall and quite a handful.

Michael Cronin, a regular in last year's Dungarvan Colleges team, comes in at left corner with Darragh Lyons moving to midfield and Conor Gleeson moving from there to centre forward. Bringing Cronin on and moving Lyons to midfield played an important role in Waterford's late comeback against Clare the first day.

Conor Prunty remains at right half back with Colm Roche (centre forward in last year's team and injured all year) coming in at centre back, releasing Shane Bennett to right half forward. Jack Mullaney replaces Shane Murray at left half back.

Andy Molumby moves out from left corner forward to midfield instead of Edmond O'Halloran. Molumby made a big impression at midfield in a recent challenge against Dublin. Cormac Curran moves from centre forward to the left wing instead of team captain Shane Ryan. I think Curran's ability in the air, especially from puckouts, can be better utilised on the wing.

Peter Hogan stays at right corner forward with Patrick Curran moving to the left corner and Aaron O'Sullivan coming in at full forward. He also impressed in this position against Dublin.

I think Eddie Meaney, who made a big impact when he came on against Clare in Ennis and also in the Dublin challenge, is unlucky not to start.

Assuming the team lines out as listed, only three players (goalkeeper Billy Nolan, Conor Prunty and Peter Hogan) start in the same positions as in the first game. A lot will depend on how Sutton and Roche do after long injury layoffs, but it does look like a better team than that which started the first day. If they can get their minds right on the night they should have too much for Clare.

Story with Shane Ryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Its amazing to think our Senoir and minors could be out of the championship by Saturday night.

Laois are a very good team and could win by at least 3 points.

Our management team will probly mess us up

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

Story with Shane Ryan?

Very strange indeed playing v.ggood for de le salle seniors and Prendergast another player playing well in senior championship who also played v.well first day against Clare but the Shane Ryan decision is beyond me team captain ,surely u want your captain on the playing field???

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

Deise_abu wrote: »
    Probably a bit unfair to a few guys there.

Johnny Brenner was an excellent senior hurler for a few years
    Probably got a year or 2 out of Tom Fives also
    Although never fulfilling his potential Growler was decent at senior level too and Layla would also have to be considered as a guy who had a decent year or two
    Obviously Tony and Fergal had were the exceptional graduates from that team

and truth be told Flynn was from the 92 minor team, which in fairness through up a few lads who showed well at senior level

Tom Feeney was a very good servant to the senior team
    Anthony Kirwan also put in a decent shift at senior level, would can forget the performance in the drawn game of 98
    Joxer is another that gave decent service at senior level all be not for as long
    Ger Harris and the Derek McGrath were around the panel for a few years too

It is probably worth remembering that Barry Walsh, Gater, Dan, Bennett, Ken, Eoin Murphy, and Kelly all arrived on the panel around a year or a couple of years after them guys and were far better hurlers, hopefully if the guys from last years minor team don't make a break through it is as a result of better hurlers coming up behind them

Gary Gater ah stop...Barry Walsh was on the panel for about a year

I believe that were it not for the disastrous appointment of George Leahy for the three years 1992-94, both Johnny Brenner and Growler Daly - two superb hurlers - would have stayed on and become major figures for Waterford. In my view, Leahy's failure to bring Brenner on in the Munster semi-final against Limerick in 1992 until it was too late cost us that game. Brenner wasn't on the starting team as he was doing college exams at the time. Three days later, he hurled Brian Corcoran off the field in the Under 21 semi-final in Walsh Park.

Leahy, of course, presided over Waterford's defeat against Kerry in 1993 and, as I recall it, Brenner, realising that Waterford were going nowhere, dropped out to focus on his career. Daly also fell by the wayside. It was a great pity, as Brenner (at midfield) and Daly (at full forward) had a great understanding. Brenner and Daly both made brief comeback attempts under Gerald McCarthy at different times but they didn't work out. In fact, I think that bringing Daly in for Anthony Kirwan for the 1998 All-Ireland semi-final probably cost us that game (as did the selection of Hawley White instead of Billy O'Sullivan).

Mark O'Sullivan from the 1992 Under 21 team also established a place for himself on the senior team but was punished very harshly by Gerald McCarthy for a mistake he made against Cork in the 1998 National League Final and I don't think played for Waterford again.

Johnny Brenner was some hurler pity we never saw the best of him and pity LayLay Barry was such a nut job!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

😂😂😂😂 Sorry now for laughing but Daly had a great u21 campaign that yr and that was it. When Gerald McCarthy brought professionalism and discipline to the set up himself and Layla were found out at the Dungarvan point to points when on a training weekend in Clonea. In my opinion he never had the mental toughness or commitment for it when it came down to it. Il give you the Johnny Brenner one,maybe if Gerald Mac had been there earlier we could have seen alot more from him. Yes aswell to Mark Sullivan,very harshly treated after the 98 league final. Teak tough defender who had a lot more to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

1. Billy Nolan Roanmore
    3. M.J. Sutton Ferrybank
    6. Colm Roche Shamrocks

Roche centre back could be just like Austin Gleeson centre back last year! Massive talent! really like the look of this team!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Its amazing to think our Senoir and minors could be out of the championship by Saturday night.

I love your optimism

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

It's bad enough you writing off the Minors but my eyes are sore from spelling mistakes it's spelt SENIOR SENIOR not Senoir!!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

1. Billy Nolan Roanmore
    3. M.J. Sutton Ferrybank
    6. Colm Roche Shamrocks

Do we know what subs are named on the bench for Wednesday night??

Story with Shane Ryan?

Played very poorly in the first game against Clare and also in the challenge game against Dublin in Dublin that I saw. Other players are playing better.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

1. Billy Nolan Roanmore
    3. M.J. Sutton Ferrybank
    6. Colm Roche Shamrocks

Like the look of the minor side.. Good Balance to the team.. Needs Patrick Curran fully fit and firing though..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

Gary Gater ah stop...Barry Walsh was on the panel for about a year

All I was saying was that he was better than most of the forwards on that U21 team, not that he was an all star or anything.

I would have thought Barry Walsh was there longer than a year and he was certainly better than most off the minor and U21 team

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Like the look of the minor side.. Good Balance to the team.. Needs Patrick Curran fully fit and firing though..

Don't like Roche centre back, he's a natural forward. Have a look at lasts years games again. I haven't seen any games this year but who was the staring center back the first day out against Clare? Bennet?

Would have preferred to see Roche on wing forward, I think he's a great talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Don't like Roche centre back, he's a natural forward. Have a look at lasts years games again. I haven't seen any games this year but who was the staring center back the first day out against Clare? Bennet?

Would have preferred to see Roche on wing forward, I think he's a great talent.

I would have agreed with you after seeing the amount of scores he chipped in with in the minor team last year but he has spent most of his hurling life as a defender and is an outstanding centre back big man too so great physical presence.. I wouldnt have bennett Centre back think hes very one sided.. up half forward with his paw and pace will suit him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

How did I exclude Mark O'Sullivan, I would agree he was harshly treated but Flannery was waiting in the wings.

I believe one of the major reasons Brenner walked was not only his career but also an altercation in a club game, If true I would be disappointed. How we left Willie O'Connor dominate that day will always be questioned, not sure Billy would have stopped him either in fairness to Hawley

I couldn't agree more with you about Leahy and not just for the Kerry defeat

It was a different game back then, throwing in so many minors and U21's was crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fizzyboy

I thought Johnny Brenner was an outstanding prospect but he never did it at senior level. I recall the 2001 Munster SF V Limerick. Most of the blame fell on Landers, Cullinane and Queally that day. However, as I recall it, Brenner, Flynn and Dan Shanahan went missing after our great start. Together with Mullane's injury and the clever switches by Eamon Cregan, all contributed to our downfall that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Johnny Brenner was some talent, aside from Flynn he was probably the most naturally talented hurler to come from that 92 minor/U21 groups. Not sure if true but i remember hearing a story that experienced UCC coaches reckoned he was one of the most talented hurlers they had ever worked with. But he never seemed to have the head for it, maybe the senior management set up at the time had something to do with it, maybe the defeat to Kerry, or maybe being punched in the face by a team mate form the U21 team in a club match was an influence, whatever it was he just drifted from Waterford hurling in his mid twenties. Real potential not realised unfortunately.

As regards the rest of that U21 team, obviously Hartley, Browne and Flynn went on to be serious players on the national stage. Of the others, Mark O'Sullivan was a regular for a few years and may have been harshly treated in 98, but its hard to argue Flannery wasnt an improvement at corner back. Laylay Barry was the best keeper i have seen in Waterford, until O'Keefe's emergence, but clearly his head wasnt right for top level intercounty hurling, was just as likely to be sent off in first few minutes as he was to make a great save. Growler i always thought had great potential for senior hurling, big strong target man with an eye for a goal. But he also lacked discipline and when his and Laylay's questionable attitude began to influence other younger players, such as Dan, the writing was on the wall for both.

Both Laylay and Growler were back on the panel in later years but both seemed to have regressed as hurlers, probably needed to be playing and training at the higher standard continuously to reach the standards expected and required.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will the management team get sacked/walk away if we lose to Laois Saturday ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Going back to the Minors really looking forward to seeing seeing Colm Roche at center back - from memory last year in a challenge against Limerick (or could have been Dublin as they were played one Saturday after the other) up in Walsh Park - at half time they switched him to Center Back at half time to replace Austin Gleeson, who had been outstanding in the first half. They were both wearing the same colour helmet that day and it took spectators nearly the entire second half to realise that Gleeson had gone off. He gave an exhibition of center back play that day, and if he can impose his influence games as Gleeson did last year , cannot wait to see.

Interested to note that Edmond O'Halloran not in starting line up, nor Craig Browne, wondering if they are injured or just off form - if off from will add to a very strong bench.

Final note hope Patrick Curran gets the protection of the referee, he has taken some ridiculous punishment since last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Makes for an interesting minor game. Clare will be on a high after their 14 point win over Tipperary and they are meant to be stronger this time around as well.

Will the management team get sacked/walk away if we lose to Laois Saturday ?.

You have some issue/agenda with our management. Leave it be and support or don't say anything at all

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Anthony Kirwan was the winning and the losing of that game for a different reason if memory serves.

Wasn't he in on goal right at the start of the 2nd half. Mi**** his shot, Michael Walsh saved and drove it up the field. Had he goaled things would have turned out very differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Anthony Kirwan was the winning and the losing of that game for a different reason if memory serves.

Wasn't he in on goal right at the start of the 2nd half. Mi**** his shot, Michael Walsh saved and drove it up the field. Had he goaled things would have turned out very differently.

It's a pity some of these games are not on youtube or even the GAA website. I imagine the film is lying in an RTE basement. The Munster Final in 2002 is another I find difficult to find.

• Advertisement

Think joe dermody was the kk keeper in 98 think Michael Walsh was gone after 95...the soft goal that kk got that day killed us, should never have went in but that's 16 years ago now where has the time gone?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement