Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spacetrap

that's. Character,sounds very bitter to me

Not bitter in the slightest. I hope ye go on and retain the title now. Shouted for ye last year in the final last year and will be again this year in the Munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 deisedoz

Delighted with the result but a very erratic performance and big improvements required. We should have been out of sight at half time but only led by 6. Clare must be given great credit for their second half showing which they dominated for long spells despite playing with 14 for the majority, particularly in midfield where we lacked a physical presence. I believe Cormac Curran should be at mf, wasted in half forward line. Would tend to agree with whoever it was that's said we don't yet know our best team. Thought we ceded way too much space in full backline which will be exposed in the final with a similar display. Thought Nolan was outstanding in goal bar one error for goal, Lyons and Bennett impressive in patches and thought Ryan and Meaney made an impact when introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

that's. Character,sounds very bitter to me

Would agree that Clare definitely tired. Waterford with no score for 18 minutes of the 2nd half did show some character to turn it around. Moving Roche to centre forward definitely helped,he was very sluggish at centre back. Shane Bennett stormed into it in the last 10 mins when he was needed but has a habit of over carrying at times,running into trouble. His goal was brilliant,what a pass from Curran,some vision,some hurler.
    Surprising that Sullivan was substituted at half time when it was very evident Cormac Curran was struggling to get into the game. Lyons worked tirelessly at midfield and is definitely one for the future.
    We had a dream start and came out of the blocks flying but some of our shooting in that first half was wayward and could have cost us in the end. Although Nolan's mistake gave Clare hope after their first goal,he was absolutely outstanding after it. That save at the end was breathtaking.

Great to win and we're hurling again into August at this level but again we looked vulnerable in the fullback line and if its to be limerick we're meeting in the final we definitely have to tighten things up back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Well that was a mad game. Waterford started like a train and went 1-6 to 0-0 ahead inside the first 10 minutes, Patrick Curran outstanding during this period scoring 1-2 from play before going off and a temporary sub coming on. Clare then got a couple of goals from the very threatening Aron Shanagher, the first a nightmare that the Waterford keeper wont want to see again. These got Clare into the match while Waterford lost their rhythm entirely. The other story of the first half was a lot of wides from both sides with Clare's free taking in particular very suspect. Darragh Lyons was excellent throughout the first half and the HT scoreline was 2-8 to 2-2. Curran did come back on, but seemed to be carrying an injury thereafter.

Clare had the breeze in the second half and began well, getting the first couple of scores before having a player sent off for a silly off the ball incident. This didnt deter them however and with 15 mins to go were ahead 2-10 to 2-8. Waterford came back though and began to make use of the extra man, a change in personnel with Eddie Meaney coming on and also a positional switch with Colm Roche moving to centre forward and Shane Bennett back the field. Bennett was the difference during this time period although it was difficult to see at times due to fading light. Waterford closed it out in the end in an exciting finish, with goalkeeper Billy Nolan more than atoning for earlier error with a great stop in injury time to save the day.

For Clare the standout players I felt were Shanagher, Fitzgerald and Walsh

One question must be asked of the officials at Fraher Field - Why have floodlights if you are not going to use them? They were only turned on 5 mins before the end and should have gone on at half time. For a 15 minute period in the second half it was almost impossible to see and would have been a shame if the game had ended up being decided by an error caused by lack of light

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Is it not plain daft to play Shane Bennett in attack and Colm Roche in defense?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Is it not plain daft to play Shane Bennett in attack and Colm Roche in defense?

Shane Bennett scored a goal, and played up front for Ballysaggart and did well. As people have said Colm Roche would have come up through the ranks with this team and played in defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

Well done to the minors. Is young Lyons a son of the manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 OldBoro

Well done to the minors. Is young Lyons a son of the manager?

Ya his son minor again next year to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Weldone to the minor lads. I think it needs to be said that weve kind of sneaked into a Munster Final on the handier side of the draw without having played anywhere near our potential. There is so much more in this team and Im delighted these players have not gone out of the competition at this stage. Definitely there are a number of players playing out of position and plenty of food for thought for the management for the final.
    Whoever wins the Cork v Limerick game tomorrow night have to be raging hot favourites imo. Limerick have a super team but I wouldnt write off Cork either. Given that both those teams are in the senior final they are going to have a huge crowd behind for the minor final. If you remember last year when the Limerick crowd starting coming in as the second half wore on it gave them a massive lift and rattled our lads a bit and we subsequently ended up leaving it behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Waterford edge Clare out of Munster Minor Semi-Final after enthralling tie at Fraher Field

By Eoin Brennan on Jun 25, 2014 Sport

Munster Minor Hurling Championship Semi-Final
    Waterford 2-13 Clare 2-12

at Fraher Field, Dungarvan

All-Ireland champions Waterford edged into a fourth Munster final in five years this evening after a truly entralling semi-final in Fraher Field, Dungarvan in front of an attendance of 2,750. With almost 20 goal chances, this was perhaps one of the most unconventional Munster championship ties ever as the pendulum swung one way and then the next before Waterford eventually shaded it.
    That said, Clare could just as easily have been celebrating a return to a provincial decider as despite going down to 14 men, they fought back valliantly from a nine point deficit to actually take the lead in the second half
    And even when fatigue set in and Waterford seized back control late on, Davy Fitzgerald’s injury-time strike on goal appeared destined for the right corner of the net, only for goalkeeper Billy Nolan to somehow keep it out.
    Such an unpredictable pattern demonstrated both the extreme highs and cringing lows in an open contest that produced ten clear goal opportunities in the first half alone. Waterford stormed out of the blocks to push 1-6 to 0-0 clear by the eighth minute and were full value for their lead as they blitzed a sleepy Clare side that faltered especially from placed balls with three early point scoring efforts.
    Patrick Curran’s sixth minute goal to put the home side 1-5 up came only moments after Clare goalkeeper Jason Loughnane had denied the same player but amazingly it would be their last score from play for 23 minutes as they seemed intent on walking the ball through the Clare defence.
    The visitors craved a boost and got it in the 11th minute when captain Dara Walsh delivered to Aron Shanagher whose shot seemed to be half hooked, only for goalkeeper Billy Nolan to completely miss the ball and see it billow the net.
    That goal sandwiched further goal efforts for Ian Galvin (sidenetting) and Brian Guilfoyle (blocked) but they would be rewarded once more in the 14th minute when Shanagher struck again for goal to cut the deficit to just three at 1-6 to 2-0.
    There would be two more goal chances at either end before Waterford would deservedly re-establish their dominance on the scoreboard with a solo goal from Shane Bennett in the 29th minute on their way to a 2-8 to 2-2 half-time lead.
    It wouldn’t get any more conventional on the restart as a straight red for Clare’s Michael O’Malley came amidst a rousing fightback that saw the visitors hit eight unanswered points in the third quarter, four from Colin Corbett, to actually take the lead for the first time at 2-10 to 2-08.
    Waterford were still intent on going for goal but would finally pull level through substitute Eddie Meaney by the 48th minute.
    A Gavin Whyte effort on goal was blocked over the bar to give Clare the advantage once more only for Patrick Curran to cancel it out and after a very nervy period, a Shane Bennett free and another from play through Curran on the hour mark edged Waterford two clear at 2-13 to 2-11.
    True to the generous nature of this tie, Clare would have one final chance to snatch victory when Ben O’Gorman’s defensive free broke to David Fitzgerald who shot on the turn only for goalkeeper Billy Nolan to somehow get a hurley to it to flick it out for a ’65.
    It would be the final act of a trully dramatic semi-final as the All-Ireland champions survived but just about.

Waterford Billy Nolan (Roanmore); Eddie Hayden (Ballygunner), MJ Sutton (Ferrybank), Michael Cronin (Ardmore); Conor Prunty (Abbeyside/Ballinacourty), Colm Roche (Shamrocks), Jack Mullaney (Stradbally); Darragh Lyons (Dungarvan), Andy Molumby (Cappaquin); Shane Bennett (Ballysaggart) (1-2 2f), Conor Gleeson (Fourmilewater) (0-2), Cormac Curran (Brickey Rovers); Peter Hogan (Ballygunner), Aaron O’Sullivan (Cappoquin) (0-1), Patrick Curran (Dungarvan) (1-7 4f)
    Subs Shane Ryan (De La Salle) for O’Sullivan (HT), Eddie Meaney (De La Salle) (0-1) for Hogan (42 mins), Joe Allen (Dungarvan) for C. Curran (47 mins), David Prendergast (Lismore) for Hayden (51 mins)

Clare Jason Loughnane (Sixmilebridge); Ciaran Cooney (O’Callaghan’s Mills), Seamus Downey (Clonlara), Rory Hayes (Wolfe Tones); Jason McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnamona) (0-1), Dara Walsh (Éire Óg), Ben O’Gorman (Wolfe Tones); Michael O’Malley (Kilmaley) (0-1), David Fitzgerald (Inagh-Kilnamona) (0-1); Colin Corbett (Tulla) (0-4 3f), Michael O’Shea (Smith O’Brien’s), Ian Galvin (Clonlara) (0-1); Paraic McNamara (Kilmaley), Aron Shanagher (Wolfe Tones) (2-2 1f), Brian Guilfoyle (St Joseph’s Doora/Barefield) (0-1)
    Subs Gavin Whyte (Sixmilebridge) (0-1) for O’Shea (28 mins), Liam O’Donovan (Ruan) for McNamara (56 mins), Darren Chaplin (Broadford) for Corbett (58 mins)

Referee John McCormack (Tipperary)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭amber69

3ships wrote: »
    I understand that but still a feature of Waterford Minor teams the last few years to get over the line in tight games. Waterford already beat Clare in the last ten minutes in Ennis 15 v 15 and did the business with 14 men against Kilkenny last year.

Ref sent off a kilkenny man to even things up when they were on top. Not saying Waterford didn't deserve it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Well done to the Minors, are Clare knocked out completely now for this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

It's a shame to see minors getting sent off for very little

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Is Colm Fitzgerald Davys son?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Slobbery wrote: »
    It's a shame to see minors getting sent off for very little

He pulled straight across D Lyons chest with the hurl, he deserved it.

deise_girl wrote: »
    Is Colm Fitzgerald Davys son?

Yep.

Well done to our minors tonight against a very good Care outfit.
    This game was exactly what we needed.. We have reached another Munster decider
    without playing to our full potential, and will go in as underdogs to either Cork or
    Limerick, an ideal scenario.. Deise Abu!!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Bit of a manic game all right, but my observations of the night for what they are worth:

1. Did not see the strike for the sending off, but from what i was told no option but a straight red. The ref was already reaching for a card which has to be red if he saw the strike, consulted with the linesman who was not more than 20 years away and had no hesitation issuing it.

2. Impact on the game , not really sure how that went, I admit Clare appeared to tire in the last 5 but felt that was more about the huge effort they had to put in to claw back the early lead we had built up. From a Waterford perspective we took way too long to decide what where to us the extra man and really switched off. Apart for a 5 minute spell we were making regular scoring opportunities but were either wayward or just too casual. Also the wind appeared to played a factor

3. Do not know about the handy side of the draw - the Clare full forward line especially Shanagher will be a handful for any side. We should remember also that M J Sutton is only back hurling five weeks after a 6 month lay-off. This was his first real competitive game and this will stand his strong for the tests ahead. Same with Colm Roche, first real competitive outing. This was Clare's fourth match. Thinks last nights games will have brought our lads on a lot.

4. Patrick Curran - makes things look so easy, go wrestled and pushed belted and third man tackled. Wasn't as effective after going off injured but stepped up to the plate at the end. Patrick looks to be only 70% fit at moment - really needs a est between now and the final

5. Refereeing standard - really have to question this. Thought the referee had two sets of rules last night. For the first 40 minutes gave us very little, while he handed out frees for nothing to Clare. For the last 10 minutes appeared to give most things our way. The amount of third man tackles he missed were incredible and at times Clare were playing the man way before the ball. Actually while as i said i did not see the sending off, there was a blatant foul on I think Derek Lyons just before the incident and it likely contributed to the confrontation that ended up in the striking and sending off. Also Shanagher seemed to take a massive amount of steps for the second goal. Sutton had done well to hold him up but he just seemed to carry it for ever. Maybe it was me rose coloured glasses and the fact that someone couldn't find the switch for the lights but there you go. Thought overall refereeing standard was terrible.

6. Billy Nolan - talk about b...lls - makes an arse of the first goal, which happens, made a couple of great stops after, excellent under the dropping ball and very brave, gets his head split, comes back on the field and makes that wonder stop at the end, and he is under 16 - take a bow Billy - what a performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Sorry it was obviously Darragh not Derek Lyons in point 5.

Last point - well done to I presume to our County Board. We should all bring flashlights the next night just in case they cannot find the keys to the floodlights again

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Thought we went defensive after half time instead of pushing on and continuing to build on our HT lead. Even when the Clare lad was sent off we kept our extra man in the full back line, would have thought we could have played him further forward as we completely lost midfield and our half forward line after HT. Also we hit a huge number of puckouts down on Curran without success, Clare saw this and picked up an amount of breaks in this area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

carter10 wrote: »
    ...All-Ireland champions Waterford...

I know we're well into the new season but reading those words together still puts a smile on my face that lasts all day! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

blueflame wrote: »
    Bit of a manic game all right, but my observations of the night for what they are worth:

1. Did not see the strike for the sending off, but from what i was told no option but a straight red. The ref was already reaching for a card which has to be red if he saw the strike, consulted with the linesman who was not more than 20 years away and had no hesitation issuing it.

2. Impact on the game , not really sure how that went, I admit Clare appeared to tire in the last 5 but felt that was more about the huge effort they had to put in to claw back the early lead we had built up. From a Waterford perspective we took way too long to decide what where to us the extra man and really switched off. Apart for a 5 minute spell we were making regular scoring opportunities but were either wayward or just too casual. Also the wind appeared to played a factor

3. Do not know about the handy side of the draw - the Clare full forward line especially Shanagher will be a handful for any side. We should remember also that M J Sutton is only back hurling five weeks after a 6 month lay-off. This was his first real competitive game and this will stand his strong for the tests ahead. Same with Colm Roche, first real competitive outing. This was Clare's fourth match. Thinks last nights games will have brought our lads on a lot.

4. Patrick Curran - makes things look so easy, go wrestled and pushed belted and third man tackled. Wasn't as effective after going off injured but stepped up to the plate at the end. Patrick looks to be only 70% fit at moment - really needs a est between now and the final

5. Refereeing standard - really have to question this. Thought the referee had two sets of rules last night. For the first 40 minutes gave us very little, while he handed out frees for nothing to Clare. For the last 10 minutes appeared to give most things our way. The amount of third man tackles he missed were incredible and at times Clare were playing the man way before the ball. Actually while as i said i did not see the sending off, there was a blatant foul on I think Derek Lyons just before the incident and it likely contributed to the confrontation that ended up in the striking and sending off. Also Shanagher seemed to take a massive amount of steps for the second goal. Sutton had done well to hold him up but he just seemed to carry it for ever. Maybe it was me rose coloured glasses and the fact that someone couldn't find the switch for the lights but there you go. Thought overall refereeing standard was terrible.

6. Billy Nolan - talk about b...lls - makes an arse of the first goal, which happens, made a couple of great stops after, excellent under the dropping ball and very brave, gets his head split, comes back on the field and makes that wonder stop at the end, and he is under 16 - take a bow Billy - what a performance.
    Subs with great impact again 2 dls boys did made a difference

Subs with great impact again 2 dls boys did made a difference

Ryan had very little impact when he came on,Sullivan was very harshly made the scapegoat to get the capt on when clearly other forwards were struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

cul beag wrote: »
    Ryan had very little impact when he came on,Sullivan was very harshly made the scapegoat to get the capt on when clearly other forwards were struggling.

How did meaney do??

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Really good win for the minors last night, though they made hard work of it. They should have been more than 6 points up at half time and really went out of the game at the start of the second half, failing to score for nearly 20 minutes, which is a real concern. Still, to come from behind in the closing stages and hold on for the win was impressive. Lots to work on for the final, that's for sure.

Special mention to the keeper Billy Nolan. After a bad mistake for the first goal he showed real character to have a super second half, which ended with a really stunning save to win the match for Waterford in injury time. Really impressive.

Will be interesting to see how the Cork v Limerick game goes tonight, clearly Limerick are big favourites to win the provincial title but you can never write Cork off at any level.

How did meaney do??

Did well when introduced. Sorry I should have mentioned this in my earlier post!ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

Are there still tickets available to the Ken McGrath Challange match tomorrow night or can you still pay at the turnstile

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭parish girl

Tickets on sale from Van outside the ground for Ken Mc Grath challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Tickets on sale from Van outside the ground for Ken Mc Grath challenge

I'd say they'll be Turing people away the amount of people going is unreal.

Fair play to all involved and all that contributed to the cause.

I can't make it myself but I did buy a ticket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Limerick it is in the minor final.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement