Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hslaw wrote: »
    Limerick it is in the minor final.

Seemed well in control tonight from half time onwards, bit of a wobble toward the end when Cork scored a goal, but held on to win by 2 points.

Repeat of last years final

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

KevIRL wrote: »
    Seemed well in control tonight from half time onwards, bit of a wobble toward the end when Cork scored a goal, but held on to win by 2 points.

Repeat of last years final

while it is a repeat of last years final. i hope its not the same result

Deise Abu

Limerick are a good side and t will be a tough game. but we are a good side to with room for improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

1. Stephen O Keeffe Ballygunner
    2. Shane Fives Carrigtwohill
    3. Liam Lawlor Fourmilewater
    4. Noel Connors Passage
    5. Darragh Fives Tourin
    6. Michael Walsh Stradbally Captain
    7. Tadgh Burke Clashmore / Kinsalebeg
    8. Kevin Moran De La Salle
    9. Shane O Sullivan Ballygunner
    10. Jake Dillon De La Salle.
    11. Pauric Mahony Ballygunner
    12. Austin Gleeson Mount Sion
    13. Ryan Donnelly Dungarvan
    14. Shane Walsh Fourmilewater
    15. Colin Dunford Colligan

Great to see Darragh Fives back in the team, takes Nagle's place. Ryan Donnelly given quite the promotion to start in place of BOS. Not weakening the team by any stretch of the imagination. Surprised Molumphy hasn't made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

wheres jamie nagle
    hope darragh midfield it needs too be sorted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

4. Noel Connors Passage
    5. Darragh Fives Tourin

Great to see Darragh Fives back in the team, takes Nagle's place. Ryan Donnelly given quite the promotion to start in place of BOS. Not weakening the team by any stretch of the imagination. Surprised Molumphy hasn't made it.

Also surprised Molumphy not starting. Forwards very light and we need ball winners in there. For me Molumphy and Pendergast should be the first two forwards on the teamsheet.

Good call on Donnelly I reckon, was impressed with him in the league.

4. Noel Connors Passage
    5. Darragh Fives Tourin

Great to see young Donnelly getting a run. He has an eye for goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Also surprised Molumphy not starting. Forwards very light and we need ball winners in there. For me Molumphy and Pendergast should be the first two forwards on the teamsheet.

for all the critism of McGrath (I do meself)...long term to build a team around pendargast is pointless tbh
    I agree we need ball winners.....however Donnelly and dunford are too very good prospects imv and should be given plenty gametime

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

If Darragh Fives is fit I'd rather see him in the half forward line as thats an area we struggle to win clean ball from puckouts. But I guess the way game has gone, knocking it down and winning the breaking ball is just as effective. With home advantage and a greater depth of quality individual players they should win this handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

4. Noel Connors Passage
    5. Darragh Fives Tourin

Think that is a better team that started against Cork either day, but would have like to see Molumphy mid field instead of O Sullivan, think sully really tends to drift out of games and spends to much time looking for the free that most refs have caught onto at this point, Moran to half back ? fives to mid field ? I reckon Jamie Nagle a little un lucky but he has been caught for pace a few times this year,

Also great win for the Minors last night, showed great character to pull it back at the end, they have had a long break and that was always going to be a tricky game facing Clare a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Talking to a Galway lad today who was at their Laois games, he reckoned we need big and physical up front to win ball and thought Prender should be started.
    Can't argue with bringing on the young lads though so hopefully it goes ok - after a few championship games I think we are a step above Laois and should close it out comfortably . Cmon de Deise and show us a bit of promise for the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Talking to a Galway lad today who was at their Laois games, he reckoned we need big and physical up front to win ball and thought Prender should be started.
    Can't argue with bringing on the young lads though so hopefully it goes ok - after a few championship games I think we are a step above Laois and should close it out comfortably . Cmon de Deise and show us a bit of promise for the summer

That's exactly what Galway have though and they struggled.

for all the critism of McGrath (I do meself)...long term to build a team around pendargast is pointless tbh
    I agree we need ball winners.....however Donnelly and dunford are too very good prospects imv and should be given plenty gametime

Problem is how many of the forwards picked will win the ball in the air. Lots of similar type of players, who are all good stickmen with plenty of skill with ball in hand. But you need a few hardy lads in there as well. The present Waterford forward unit is too soft and has been destroyed by the Clare, Kilkenny, Dublin and Cork defences already this year and management seem blind to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

If Darragh Fives is fit I'd rather see him in the half forward line as thats an area we struggle to win clean ball from puckouts. But I guess the way game has gone, knocking it down and winning the breaking ball is just as effective. With home advantage and a greater depth of quality individual players they should win this handy.

Very disrespectful to Laois, if you've been keeping an eye on their results over the last 2 years you would some great work going on up there and they have a great man in charge of them. Laois will most certainly have a game plan against Waterford and will be by no means pushovers by any stretch. A very well organised team who play to their strengths very well. Ran Limerick and Clare very close in the league and should have beaten Galway the last day, even missed a penalty right at the death. Quite possibly could have beaten Galway last year too so they are not a fluke and they should be respected. Dont get ahead of yerselves because thats the sort of complacency that can catch a team out, Laois' day is not too far away and they are due to pull off the scalp of a big team very soon. That being said I do think Waterford will beat Laois but will most certainly not have it all their own way. Should win by 4 or 5 pts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Very disrespectful to Laois, if you've been keeping an eye on their results over the last 2 years you would some great work going on up there and they have a great man in charge of them. Laois will most certainly have a game plan against Waterford and will be by no means pushovers by any stretch. A very well organised team who play to their strengths very well. Ran Limerick and Clare very close in the league and should have beaten Galway the last day, even missed a penalty right at the death. Quite possibly could have beaten Galway last year too so they are not a fluke and they should be respected. Dont get ahead of yerselves because thats the sort of complacency that can catch a team out, Laois' day is not too far away and they are due to pull off the scalp of a big team very soon. That being said I do think Waterford will beat Laois but will most certainly not have it all their own way. Should win by 4 or 5 pts

Any genuine hurling fan wont underestimate Laois. But If we play to our potential we should have enough to beat them, as youve alluded to yourself.

Id be cautious alright. Last year they gave Galway a real fright and then went down to Ennis to play Clare in the qualifiers and took an awful hiding. Cheddar Plunkett came out after and admitted they made a big mistake in putting all their eggs into one basket for the Leinster Championship against Galway, as they were a bit of a beaten docket for the Clare game. But you can be rest assured it wont happen this year. They will really fancy coming down and having a go at us. We are probably as low as weve been for a few years and they are improving all the time. I dont know of anyone taking this for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

I wasn' been disrespectful, just been realistic. There's only about 12 clubs that play hurling in Laois and as well prepared their management team have them in comparsion to our management team we still have a bigger pick of players to choose from that have been playing at a higher level since the Tony Forristal tournament. With home advantage and greater depth I dont see any issues on Sat in walsh park.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Problem is how many of the forwards picked will win the ball in the air. Lots of similar type of players, who are all good stickmen with plenty of skill with ball in hand. But you need a few hardy lads in there as well. The present Waterford forward unit is too soft and has been destroyed by the Clare, Kilkenny, Dublin and Cork defences already this year and management seem blind to it.

The present Waterford unit struggled against Clare, Killkenny Dublin & Cork defences this year because of ridiculous tactics. not because we didn't have ball winners. We played Brian O'Sullivan as a lone forward in almost all those games, expediting them to bring our their corner backs and leave space to isolate Sullivan 1 on 1 with a defender. Of course the opposition being aware of this "tactic" left there corner backs in there, outnumbering us three to one, we kept hitting ball into the corners where the back had all the time in the world with no threat to pressure them to launch attack after attack with quality delivery.

We need our six forwards to compete for every ball high or low, we need to apply pressure to their full back line, we need to ensure that the full forward if we are trying to isolate him gets quality ball in dropping in front of him and we have to get support to him in a flash, not thirty seconds after the ball has been cleared.

This was a large part of the reason Nagle got cleaned out against the teams in question because of the quality of ball that was being played into our half back line and he is paying a hefty price for our Managements naive and still tactics.

On the team itself, glad to see Darragh Fives back, super player, Paudie Prendrgast very unlucky to loose out, if Connors is fit as we assume he is , I would have tried Prendergast in midfield, he has played there for us last year and never left us down, for me Sully just not up to it anymore. Would also like to see Molomphy get a run alongside him in mid-field. Moran just not at the races this year and a bit of time on the bench might freshen him up.

in the forwards a bit limited for choice at the moment in the absence of Barron, Shanahan O'Halloran and O'Sullivan. Dillion has been a disappointment for me this year so far but is only coming back from niggling injuries and i belive he is a super hurler and that has not changed.. Would like to see Donnie Breathnach and Gavin O'Brien get some game time if other not going well.

I expect a very tough physical challenge and for Laois to really put it up to us. If management don't get their "game plan" right we could be in for a very rough ride and indeed a shock. Laois will smell blood if we play with fear

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

blueflame wrote: »
    The present Waterford unit struggled against Clare, Killkenny Dublin & Cork defences this year because of ridiculous tactics. not because we didn't have ball winners. We played Brian O'Sullivan as a lone forward in almost all those games, expediting them to bring our their corner backs and leave space to isolate Sullivan 1 on 1 with a defender. Of course the opposition being aware of this "tactic" left there corner backs in there, outnumbering us three to one, we kept hitting ball into the corners where the back had all the time in the world with no threat to pressure them to launch attack after attack with quality delivery.

We need our six forwards to compete for every ball high or low, we need to apply pressure to their full back line, we need to ensure that the full forward if we are trying to isolate him gets quality ball in dropping in front of him and we have to get support to him in a flash, not thirty seconds after the ball has been cleared.

This was a large part of the reason Nagle got cleaned out against the teams in question because of the quality of ball that was being played into our half back line and he is paying a hefty price for our Managements naive and still tactics.

On the team itself, glad to see Darragh Fives back, super player, Paudie Prendrgast very unlucky to loose out, if Connors is fit as we assume he is , I would have tried Prendergast in midfield, he has played there for us last year and never left us down, for me Sully just not up to it anymore. Would also like to see Molomphy get a run alongside him in mid-field. Moran just not at the races this year and a bit of time on the bench might freshen him up.

in the forwards a bit limited for choice at the moment in the absence of Barron, Shanahan O'Halloran and O'Sullivan. Dillion has been a disappointment for me this year so far but is only coming back from niggling injuries and i belive he is a super hurler and that has not changed.. Would like to see Donnie Breathnach and Gavin O'Brien get some game time if other not going well.

I expect a very tough physical challenge and for Laois to really put it up to us. If management don't get their "game plan" right we could be in for a very rough ride and indeed a shock. Laois will smell blood if we play with fear
    Would agree with most of this but with regards to Nagle unfortunately when he's turned he lacks the pace to recover. Yes alot of players are struggling for form,none more than Dillon,Moran and Shane o Sullivan and to be honest they have been given more opportunities this yr than of the lesser lights on the panel were given so much so that it seems no matter how they perform they will start. I suppose Nagle has been no better or worse than Moran but he was always going to make way before McGrath's clubmate. At least O Halloran is fit again he's an option to come in along with Gavin O Brien and Midget. Injuries still ruling out Barry,Barron and Shanahan so realistically we'll have the 2 Prendergasts Foley and Molumphy to make up the panel.
    I would be fearful if we're taking laois lightly,they're due a big scalp and definitely won't fear us and have the added advantage of Ger Cunningham with them,he having worked down here last year with Michael Ryan.

blueflame wrote: »

Have to agree with the managements tactics being stupid. Sad thing is I wouldn't be surprised if they used them again tomorrow. Still think if we went 15 v 15 like we should be playing, our forwards are just too light.

• Advertisement

i wont even comment on management any more.

Every time i do a certain moderator gets a hard on for me

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ct98

KevIRL wrote: »
    Good call on Donnelly I reckon, was impressed with him in the league.

Don't agree. Thought he was poor. But did well for Intermediates. Hopefully goes much better than his league.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

ct98 wrote: »
    Don't agree. Thought he was poor. But did well for Intermediates. Hopefully goes much better than his league.

Donnelly was excellent in the league when played, had a hard time of it in Ennis like everyone else

I wasn' been disrespectful, just been realistic. There's only about 12 clubs that play hurling in Laois and as well prepared their management team have them in comparsion to our management team we still have a bigger pick of players to choose from that have been playing at a higher level since the Tony Forristal tournament. With home advantage and greater depth I dont see any issues on Sat in walsh park.

That is true but didnt Galway have the same too a greater pick, underage success,lads playing All Ireland Club Finals etc and they should have been beaten. It doesnt mean anything really because anything can happen on the day. Their a very well organised team and something Ive gotten the impression of this year is that the Waterford management seem a little tactically naive which could be something that plays into the hands of Laois. Laois will set up to frustrate Waterford and stop their main men from hurling like what they did against Galway because obviously Waterford will have the classier hurlers and they ran Clare very close during the league. Clare had home advantage that day too I also believe. Canning didnt get a sniff that day either but with home advantage you would expect Waterford to win but it will be closer than most people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Laois apparently are extremely fit under the guidance of one Pat Flannigan, who i am sure will be anxious to show what we are missing

You can be guaranteed that they will be in our faces, they will apply pressure to our backs and midfield making sure we do not have time where possible to pick out possession passes, I also expect them to be very quick to try and hunt down any short handpassing around the back line.

From what i saw they were prepared for Clare's running game when the met in the league and were for Clare to bring the ball into contact allowing them met the challenge and get an organised defence. If we try this type of tactic tomorrow night i fear for us. We cannot afford to dally on the ball in the back line looking to keep possession the whole time.

My preference would be to try and pull our half forward line a bit deep, keep our inside forwards close to goal and try and open up space in front of them, moving the ball quickly into that space allowing the likes of Donnelly and Dunford get out in front of their man and gain primary possession where they can turn and run. at their full back line. We would also need to get our half forwards bursting a gut to to come through at pace and give our corner forwards options if they have the ball in wide areas. If the Laois half backs do not come out with out half forwards then we need to use our half forward by giving them ball and getting them to take scores from distance or to run at the Laois backs with support coming off the shoulder, that will force them to come out.

Did someone say O'Halloran is back and fit? if so he could be just the half forward to do that and the sooner he gets some game time under his belt the better.

One thing i pray for tomorrow night, please try and keep our shape. so many times we have gone missing this year it is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dien

Well lads a few of us travelling down tomorrow for the game and wondering where would be the best place for a few pre match pints? The closer to Walsh Park the better. Cheers!

Dien wrote: »
    Well lads a few of us travelling down tomorrow for the game and wondering where would be the best place for a few pre match pints? The closer to Walsh Park the better. Cheers!

I would say best bet is roanmore GAA club. V close and full of like minded people

Dien wrote: »

Bad Bobs or Paddy Browns are the only ones I can think of that are fairly close to Walsh Park just down near WIT. Maybe 5 min walk at most

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

Bad Bobs or Paddy Browns are the only ones I can think of that are fairly close to Walsh Park just down near WIT. Maybe 5 min walk at most

Is bad bobs open again? How about mt sion centre? Handy stroll to Walsh park after

• Advertisement

Bad bobs is closed and paddy brownes not great IMO. Mt sion might be drank dry tonight after the ken McGrath match ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement