Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dien

Thanks for the replies lads, hoping for a good showing from Laois and may the best team win!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Someone saidon twitter its 10 years since 2004 final today could you pick a more perfect night for this ?

On a bus in wexford now will have to make a mad dash to make throw in but no doubt itll be worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

KevIRL wrote: »
    Bad bobs is closed and paddy brownes not great IMO. Mt sion might be drank dry tonight after the ken McGrath match ;)

When did bad bobs close?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    When did bad bobs close?

Spring time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

I fear for us 2moro if laois are any good. Can't see our forwards being able to do enough, hopefully I'm wrong and maybe laois aren't that good hard to judge them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I fear for us 2moro if laois are any good. Can't see our forwards being able to do enough, hopefully I'm wrong and maybe laois aren't that good hard to judge them

Pth2009 that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Dien wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads, hoping for a good showing from Laois and may the best team win!

Mate norrises is the the closest. Its on the city side of the stadium about 5 mins walk past th primary school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

dzilla wrote: »
    Mate norrises is the the closest. Its on the city side of the stadium about 5 mins walk past th primary school

Kitty kiernans on barrack st a nice boozer. Big gah pub

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

robopaddy wrote: »
    Kitty kiernans on barrack st a nice boozer. Big gah pub

Afaik kitty's has been closed a long time, nor rises is a good call, does dumbo Dunphy still have the lease there?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Best bet for a few drinks before the game would be Barrack Street i reckon. Only a few minutes walk to the ground. Norris's is a good call. Thats a De La Salle pub as far as i know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,347 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

STIG83 wrote: »
    Pth2009 that you?

It's was not me, that poster could be right though, pat Flanagan could win it for Laois, they will be really fit

Laois by 1 for me or they will win in extra time

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I wonder what the results would show if a monitor was attached to the heart of an ardent hurling fan for a game like the Waterford/Clare minor semi-final on Wednesday night. The machine would probably blow every fuse and gasket it had long before the game was over. Is there any evidence that hurling fans have shorter life spans or greater vulnerability to heart failure than the rest of the population?

Think of the exhilaration of the first seven minutes as Waterford cut Clare to ribbons with some marvellously quick and accurate hurling to go 1-6 to 0-0 ahead, and it should have been 2-6 had the Clare goalie not got his body in the way of Patrick Curran's shot from the edge of the square.

Then, all of a sudden, the scoring tap was switched off. To an extent it may have been due to Clare raising their game boosted by Aaron Shanagher's two-goal burst in the 10th and 12th minutes. However, the fact is that Waterford continued to create scoring chances, but managed to hit nine wides during the remainder of the half, and some of them were really bad misses. Perhaps the concession of those goals served to undermine their self-belief.

The worst miss was when Peter Hogan (I think) soloed through the Clare defence and then managed to hit the ball wide of the post from the edge of the square. They were also unlucky when a Waterford forward (Aaron O'Sullivan, I think) at the edge of the square got his hurley to Cormac Curran's super sideline cut but the ball was stopped on the line by a Clare defender.

At the same time, Waterford were lucky that Clare's shooting was equally inept at the other end of the field. They missed five scorable frees, including two from the 20 meter line by the usually reliable Shanagher.

The Waterford mentors can take no credit in allowing (or instructing) corner back Eddie Hayden to follow his man who was brought out to midfield by Clare. This made it much easier for the tall, skillful and athletic Shanagher to both get possession and make ground when he had possession. You will never see Joe Canning one-on-one with his marker when playing at full forward against Kilkenny. In situations like this a team should move one of their own corner forwards out to midfield to pick up the free man if he is causing problems.

Having said that, Shanagher was very lucky with his first goal, as he was hooked from behind as he took his shot only for the rolling ball to slip under Billy Nolan's hurley as he came out to collect. That wasn't Nolan's only mistake. Later in the half, after he blocked out a high ball into the square and went after it, he made the basic error of turning back infield with the ball only to lose possession which was compounded by one of the defenders doing the same thing. Clare worked the ball into the goalmouth only for MJ Sutton to make a desperate (and brilliant) clearance off the line. However, fair dues to Nolan for an excellent second half performance, capped by that unbelievable save from point-blank range at the death.

Waterford appeared to regain the initiative just before half time when Patrick Curran offloaded an excellent long pass out of defence with a superb sideways pass to the inrushing Shane Bennett who flew past the Clare last line of defence and blasted the ball to the net (although the Clare goalie might have done better as the shot went right through him).

The sending off of Clare's Michael O'Malley five minutes after half time should have further strengthened Waterford's hand. However, rather than buckling at this setback, Clare really got stuck in and completely dominated play for the next 15 minutes, moving from six points down to two points ahead.

A major problem for Waterford in this phase of the game was the persistence and predictability of aiming all puckouts to Cormac Curran on the left wing. Not only was Curran not at the top of his game, but Clare were able to crowd the landing area and repeatedly win possession. Waterford should have varied the puckouts more and in particular made more use of the extra man who should have been deployed in midfield, where Waterford were finding it impossible to get possession.

However, just as it appeared that Waterford's goose was cooked, they managed to turn the tide. There were a number of factors involved in this. Switching centre back Colm Roche and centre forward Conor Gleeson proved to be a master stroke. Bringing on Eddie Meaney gave Waterford a lot more possession on the right side of the attack. As Meaney had a similar impact when brought on in the first game against Clare, one wonders what he needs to do to get a starting place.

As the game became more open in the closing stages, the advantage of the extra man became increasingly important for Waterford. And, given that Waterford won the first game with a similar late spurt, it might be that they were simply fitter than Clare.

This game will have brought Waterford on a ton. I would not rush to move Colm Roche out of the centre back position, as this was his first competitive game in several months. However, I do believe that Shane Bennett would be of most value to us at left half back. I also think we need a ball winning presence in midfield which could be provided by Cormac Curran or Eddie Meaney. We might also need a rethink in the full back line, as Limerick have three very nippy full forwards.

I was at the Limerick-Cork game on Thursday night, and Limerick certainly did not look world-beaters in a game in which there was a lot of poor play (again, the long lay-off for both teams may account for this). Cork lost two of their starting players to injury in the first half, missed a penalty, and had a late free saved. They panicked a bit when they went five points down early in the second half and, despite getting a lot of possession, they repeatedly ran at the Limerick defence looking for goals which, with one exception, never came. Had they taken their points, the game could have had a different result.

The Limerick full back line looked solid, Ronan Lynch is a strong presence at centre back, Colin Ryan did well at centre field (and at free-taking) and their captain Cian Lynch won a lot of aerial ball at left half forward. Their star turn was Tom Morrissey at full forward who scored five points from play. This is the guy whose goal, after taking 12 steps, brought Limerick back into the game in last year's final. He is a very different proposition from Aaron Shanagher, not particularly tall but very skillful and fast and he likes to take his man on. That said, Limerick never forced the Cork goalie to make a save and seemed content to keep taking their points (they got 23 of them).

Two interesting features of this game were the very low number of wides (seven by my count compared with 22 on Wednesday) and the fact that all the officials were from Waterford. The referee was Paul Foley (who did a good job, I thought - which you couldn't say about the referee in Dungarvan) with Michael O'Brien and Michael Wadding running the lines and Alan Kissane as 4th official).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Waterford 1-6 carlow 0-6 at ht

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

I presume you can buy a ticket outside Walsh park tonight, same as the Fraher field the
    other night for the minor match..
    I wonder are there many stand tickets left, and is it first come gets best seats or are
    they numbered????

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

skaface wrote: »
    I presume you can buy a ticket outside Walsh park tonight, same as the Fraher field the
    other night for the minor match..
    I wonder are there many stand tickets left, and is it first come gets best seats or are
    they numbered????

You just get a general admission ticket and whoever turns up first gets their pick of seats, theres no allocations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Poor result for the footballers

deise_girl wrote: »
    You just get a general admission ticket and whoever turns up first gets their pick of seats, theres no allocations

Cheers, thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

This must be the worst result I've seen the footballers get in my memory, which wouldn't be much more than six years with regard to football results.

i thought Carew having come from the McGeeney setup would be an excellent appointment. They weren't far from beating Galway last year.

But two indifferent leagues and now this. I think officially today we're the worst team in the Country. Following twitter updates today and see they had 12 men behind the ball in the 1st half, this is against a team that conceded 7 goals in the last game.

We should be good enough to beat Carlow team, not to mind a depleted Carlow team.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Poor result for the footballers

What was the score??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Some soul searching required for the footballers following that defeat to Carlow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

skaface wrote: »
    What was the score??

17 v 1-13

• Registered Users Posts: 38,347 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A bad start to the day. I imagine Carew will go now

Laois are confident tonight and done well in a recent challenge against tipp only losing by a few points and scoring 2-23. Laois will win tonight I'd say thus starting a new era in Waterford Hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

If anyone fancies posting a few score updates during tonight's game, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently in San Sebastian (poor me, I know) and the wifi is barely good enough to post on here, never mind steam the match.

Would like to think we'll have enough for Laois but they've been gaining a lot of respect the last couple of years and I just hope we're not the ones on the wrong side of their first big shock win.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    A bad start to the day. I imagine Carew will go now

Laois are confident tonight and done well in a recent challenge against tipp only losing by a few points and scoring 2-23. Laois will win tonight I'd say thus starting a new era in Waterford Hurling.

Wtf are you on about victory is by no means assured but it is expected on all sides

In all reality we should try to be put up a crocket score and change some attitudes , get ahead and then Bury them and keep burying them in a ruthless fashion

Hopefully Derek doesn't duck about and play a straight up game

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

nkay1985 wrote: »
    If anyone fancies posting a few score updates during tonight's game, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently in San Sebastian (poor me, I know) and the wifi is barely good enough to post on here, never mind steam the match.

Would like to think we'll have enough for Laois but they've been gaining a lot of respect the last couple of years and I just hope we're not the ones on the wrong side of their first big shock win.

will do, nkay.

Tomas McCarthy twitter always very good for updates too

https://twitter.com/tomasmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Looking forward to this now should be a very interesting game. A good start is very important I wouldn't like to be chasing the game against a well drilled, determined and settled Laois team. They will cut the route to goal (not that we'll be using it) and well able to pick off scores.

I wonder how our 6 forwards will go. Very young if things go against them. Shane Walsh and Jake Dillon can't have the excuse of fitness now, Paudi has to show leadership and get on the ball more. Expect Donnelly and Dunford to work hard and if the get off the mark early should go well. Austin Gleeson is liable to do anything, already our biggest threat up front. There is always Seamus if its not working.

The backs look decent in fairness and Moran and SOS just have to produce, there are plenty of options on the bench if not.

Don't know if I have ever seen Waterford play Laois. The last Championship game was in 2006 and Brick pitched in with 1-6 from FF to make the difference. If somebody gets that kind of score I'd be delighted.

Should be close will the Laois who ran Galway to 2 points or the Laois who ran Antrim to 2 points turn up.

nkay1985 wrote: »

Follow @Thomaskeane1973 on twitter he does live updates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Folks, if ever Carlow was due a win it was today after their last game. They were at home and had nothing to lose and no one didn't give them a hope. Rainbow said at least 10 lads didn't want to join the panel so they have the basis of a panel similar to Waterford's so they was never going to be much between them today.

As for the hurlers, Laois should give them plenty to worry about tonight but hopefully they will win out and get a few goals in the process.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Folks, if ever Carlow was due a win it was today after their last game. They were at home and had nothing to lose and no one didn't give them a hope. Rainbow said at least 10 lads didn't want to join the panel so they have the basis of a panel similar to Waterford's so they was never going to be much between them today.

As for the hurlers, Laois should give them plenty to worry about tonight but hopefully they will win out and get a few goals in the process.

It was probably the best draw we could get not to easy not too hard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Cheers lads. I already follow Tomas McCarthy but didn't know about Thomas Keane. I'll follow him too but always handy to read the thread after the game too as I'll be away from the wifi during it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement