Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

Waste of money on those footballers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Hopefully last night brings some good feeling back into Waterford hurling. Weather is good, crowd should be likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hopefully last night brings some good feeling back into Waterford hurling. Weather is good, crowd should be likewise.

What was the crowd like last night? Anywhere where the teams are listed or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

nkay1985 wrote: »
    What was the crowd like last night? Anywhere where the teams are listed or anything like that?

Just short of 7,000 turned up. Hard enough to follow the line ups as neither lined up as per programme and there were lots of changes. Munster started with a forward line containing Flynn, Mullane, Dan, Kelly. Cha Fitzpatrick and Martin Comerford for Leinster were the outstanding performers in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

What was the score last night? Can't find a report any where for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

STIG83 wrote: »
    What was the score last night? Can't find a report any where for it.

Leinster 4-15 Munster 2-14

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/rolling-back-the-years-to-back-legend-ken-273706.html

Paudi Prendergast starts instead of Connors

Laois goal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Just the start Laois wanted

1-2 each, Shane Walsh goal ten mins gone

• Advertisement

Shane Walsh goal. Lovely play from dunford

Same problems with shooting, 5 wides already so far. Great Dunford point 1-3 to 1-2

Walsh second goal, good run by Moran. 2-5 to 1-5.
    8 wides tho we should be much further ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Ah lads Shane Walsh again. What a legend. Hope we can push on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Poor stuff but leading by 7 so can't complain. Donnelly goes off and yet again Shane O Sullivan survives! Mind blowing! Half backline very good

2-10 to 1-5 at ht, did wellthe last ten mins before ht, should see it out now. Hopefully continue to rack up a good few more scores second half. Brick, de Burca, Fives x2 all doing well.

Run at them more should be the half time message

• Registered Users Posts: 38,347 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wrong again for me FairPlay to the lads. Ill deff go for whoever we are playing in 2 weeks lol

i imagine round 2 will be in neutral venues (So Thurles or Nowlan Park). The winners of the game tomorrow would be a kind draw but i can see us playing Clare or Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Waste of money on those footballers

What do people expect when the underage county setups are a joke, not to mention the fact that much of the adult setup within the county leaves a lot to be desired. The lads on the county panel train just as hard as the hurlers but they'll never reach a decent level because of the way things are. Granted as we're a hurling county the hurlers will hoover up the better athletes but we shouldn't be where we are in football which is basically the worst team in the country with the exception of those who don't even bother to field a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Very disappoint performance from our side-line again, letting the win aside our persistence with a 2 man forward no matter who we play or how the game is going is f***king stupidity at this stage, how many times did their extra man pick up breaking ball ? and more often than not we either hit stupid wide's from out the field or had to play the ball back in our direction because of a lack of players/forwards in a forward position, seem like management are unwilling to admit their tactic are not working,

Also why Ryan Donnelly got whipped off after 20 min, thought he was working hard in a very difficult set up, while S o Sullivan and Jake d had done little, Jake did come in to a in fairness bit but Sullivan was poor enough for whole game , will do nothing for a lads confidence

cant see this set up going much farther in the competition ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Very disappoint performance from our side-line again, letting the win aside our persistence with a 2 man forward no matter who we play or how the game is going is f***king stupidity at this stage, how many times did their extra man pick up breaking ball ? and more often than not we either hit stupid wide's from out the field or had to play the ball back in our direction because of a lack of players/forwards in a forward position, seem like management are unwilling to admit their tactic are not working,

Also why Ryan Donnelly got whipped off after 20 min, thought he was working hard in a very difficult set up, while S o Sullivan and Jake d had done little, Jake did come in to a in fairness bit but Sullivan was poor enough for whole game , will do nothing for a lads confidence

cant see this set up going much farther in the competition ,
    We won fairly easily by 10 points so it's strange to be complaining about it but I agree with you. Loads of wides again, and easy ones too. Happy that we're through, but can't see us getting past the next round unless we get Offaly/Antrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

I see Martin o neill came on good to see him back. Is Maurice injured again or what's the story? At least Shane Walsh got goals, give the man ball at edge of square he will do damage. A win is a win and it's another game under the young lads belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

I see Martin o neill came on good to see him back. Is Maurice injured again or what's the story? At least Shane Walsh got goals, give the man ball at edge of square he will do damage. A win is a win and it's another game under the young lads belts.

His back keeps flaring up hopefully he'll be well soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

This must be the worst result I've seen the footballers get in my memory, which wouldn't be much more than six years with regard to football results.

i thought Carew having come from the McGeeney setup would be an excellent appointment. They weren't far from beating Galway last year.

But two indifferent leagues and now this. I think officially today we're the worst team in the Country. Following twitter updates today and see they had 12 men behind the ball in the 1st half, this is against a team that conceded 7 goals in the last game.

We should be good enough to beat Carlow team, not to mind a depleted Carlow team.

Unfortunately this is where were at. We had a period of 6 years prior to last year where we were consistently hammered in the munster minor and u21 chapionships. That is a whole generation of footballers where very few were good enough to come in. I think carew has done his best came within a whisker of beating galway last year but this year weve seen the quality just isnt there. I looked at that starting team yesterday and I know a lot of them lads but I just thought to myself that is a poor team

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Good to see Martin O'Neill back from a seriois injury, delighted the lad got a run.

Was a pretty poor game, very negative setup again but a win is a win. Plenty to work on but at this stage our approach won't change, half back line was v impressive, full back line was solid as well, puckouts were good but not sure how much of that was down to Laois not being that clued in. Big worry was our appalling shooting. Very high wides tally, more encouraging was the amount of times we were direct with our running. Only two goals but could have been more if we weren't keepin the scoreboard tickin over.

When is the qualifiers draw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

We won fairly easily by 10 points so it's strange to be complaining about it but I agree with you. Loads of wides again, and easy ones too. Happy that we're through, but can't see us getting past the next round unless we get Offaly/Antrim.

I know it would be sweet to get that draw be a great chance to get into an AI quarter final but do we really deserve it the way weve played so far this year. I have no faith in this manager from what ive seen of him so far. Getting into an AI quarter would be seen as a success for this management team but handy draws only give a false sence of security. Remember 08 when we got the easier side of the draw bar tipp in the semi which was a game won on adrenalin and instict we were totally found out in the final.

No disrespect to laois but I actually thought theyd be better...bar the first 20 mins they didnt really show up. Whoever said here that they are a different proposition in portlaoise is fairly on the money id say

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Just short of 7,000 turned up. Hard enough to follow the line ups as neither lined up as per programme and there were lots of changes. Munster started with a forward line containing Flynn, Mullane, Dan, Kelly. Cha Fitzpatrick and Martin Comerford for Leinster were the outstanding performers in my view.

Ken reckoned closer to 10,000 as they didn't include children in that figure. One of the best nights of his life apparently, well merited fantastic man. Would love to have been there.

As for today, given I was a bit worried going in happy with a comfortable win. Surprised how poor Laois were. To be honest, we should have won by about 20 points as it was clear early on our hurling was far superior. Doesn't really matter in the greater scheme of things but there are a few issues.

The dropping of forwards, particularly when you are playing a side setup so defensively is frustrating. Donnelly was replaced and the next on is Seamus Prendergast. What about Breathnach? How was Martin O Neill coming in there? He's been out for a year with a cruciate and no hurling done. Great to see him comeback from that injury but how much of a role can he play this year?

Bringing on Prender meant taking Shane Walsh out of full forward which was just plain stupidity. The man had managed two goals. Prendergast, despite scoring one excellent point, didn't win a ball in there. He's not a full forward as much as people like to try and think he might be. What they needed was one of Dunford and Donnelly playing closer in off Walsh and reacting to the breaks, just look at the Kilkenny forwards in the first half last Sunday. But instead he had to break it, win it and then do something all on his own. Madness. Dunford was going very well at the start and then wasn't involved. Don't think Donnelly had the ball in his hand.

The backs were good, and most importantly Moran was streets ahead of where he has been all year. We await the draw with interest, 2/3 tough choices there so chances are we'll be playing a serious team next time out. Where will the game be if it's Tipp?

That sad face shouldnt be there, my laptop does some weird **** sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,347 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The management team will now decide not to change our tactics because we won with them.

Round 2 of the qulifers is on the same weekend as the Munster final

Would we play Tipp up in thurles ???

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The management team will now decide not to change our tactics because we won with them.

It has to be Neutral I think, unless maybe we agreed. Nowlan park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

PTH2009 wrote: »

they will have to overcome galway first before even wondering about that!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement