Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

chinguetti wrote: »
    So as John Allen has left the Limerick job tonight, do you think the county board would even look at having someone give him a ring and see if he's interested in the Waterford job?

Don't they meet to discuss the issue this week if i'm right?

The county board can't afford the phonecall nevermind John Allen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

alllcounty wrote: »
    The minors didn't go all county in 2004 or 2005. It was the 8th July 2008 the first minor club games were played all county and 12 months later on 12th July 2009 waterford were munster minor champions. In 2008, 2007, 2006 and 2005 waterford suffered heavy beatings against Cork at minor where the club structures were still divisional. The U12 was not an all county competition, only the winners of the east and west played in a county final, and I don't expext U12's to change to all county competions. Pat Grant from Fourmilewater was never in favour of all county structures and he was one of the men who favoured the motion at the start of this year to bring back the minor hurling and football club games to divisional competions.

I never said under 12 was an All County Competition. I just said that Pat Grant while chairman of Bord na nÓg brought in a Co Final at this grade, which I think was a plus for Waterford hurling. I never said either that Pat was for or against All County competitions.

What did ye think of Loughnane mentioning Donal Og to be Waterford manager? He was probably just joking but he said it a few times so I wonder was there anything more to it.

Fantastic turnout and atmosphere at the Mall just there for the homecoming.

When Davy took over Waterford, I remember that it was brought up a number of times in the one programme before he was appointed. Maybe Donal Óg has told the lads something.

cornerboy wrote: »
    Duck Whelan was an Abbeyside man but I think Abbeyside didn't have a minor team in those days so they played with Dungarvan.

I checked up on Dick Roche's book from a few years back and there was a D Whelan on both the 48 and 59 teams. For both they said he was with Dungarvan. I don't know if it was the same person on the two teams or not.

robopaddy wrote: »
    Tom cunningham said to the waterford crowd that their reception wont be surpassed for a long time and then said to the crowd in dungarvan that the waterford crowd had nothing on them. Spoofing as ever

Talk about keeping the East West thing going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

So as John Allen has left the Limerick job tonight, do you think the county board would even look at having someone give him a ring and see if he's interested in the Waterford job?

Really !!! Sad to hear that, I thought John Allen done a marvellous job to put Limerick back on the map. Even though he made one mistakes against Clare in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I think he would be a good appointment, what part of Cork is he from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Deskjockey wrote: »

He's from Cork city. St. Finbarr's unless I'm mistaken.

I wouldn't get my hopes up folks. I couldn't see Allen moving from one county to another without a break at this stage of his career. Also, it's no surprise that he's followed Donal O'Grady in both of his managerial appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

John Allen wouldn't be the worst appointment we could make if we could afford him. Although his occasional ramblings in the Times would have me slightly wary, at least he has a track record of managing an All Ireland winner and bringing a county in the doldrums back to the top table.

Donal óg, on the other hand, would be an insane appointment at this stage, in my view. He has never managed at any level and his track record is anti-establishment 'if only the players were treated right we'd win the All Ireland every year'. I'm not arguing whether that attitude is right or wrong but at the moment it is beyond our County Boards resources (which would be stretched even further by an outsider with inevitable outsider entourage).

We need a safe pair of hands who will work on a shoestring and hopefully keep us comptetitive for the next year or two until the underage talent comes through. Hopefully at that stage the financial and playing picture will have changed to a degree where players won't find it more attractive to go travelling rather than play for their county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Hes a St Finbarrs man as far as I know in Cork city.

Just cant see it happening. We can live and hope and dream for a high profile manager but its going to be Derek McGrath I think its about 80% a given at this stage. That is who the players want and that is all we can afford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Deise Vu wrote: »
    John Allen wouldn't be the worst appointment we could make if we could afford him. Although his occasional ramblings in the Times would have me slightly wary, at least he has a track record of managing an All Ireland winner and bringing a county in the doldrums back to the top table.

Donal óg, on the other hand, would be an insane appointment at this stage, in my view. He has never managed at any level and his track record is anti-establishment 'if only the players were treated right we'd win the All Ireland every year'. I'm not arguing whether that attitude is right or wrong but at the moment it is beyond our County Boards resources (which would be stretched even further by an outsider with inevitable outsider entourage).

We need a safe pair of hands who will work on a shoestring and hopefully keep us comptetitive for the next year or two until the underage talent comes through. Hopefully at that stage the financial and playing picture will have changed to a degree where players won't find it more attractive to go travelling rather than play for their county.

In reality, Donal Og was probably doing nearly as much managing of the Cork team as John Allen was. Allen was the safe pair of hands who kept the show on the road. He, along with a lot of the senior players in the squad, did a very good job of that.

Waterford were one point away from beating Kilkenny this year, and missing our best forward. I wouldn't have thought it at the start of the year, but we aren't far off.

Cork have shown what a team can be built with quite limited talent in a very short space of time. They have had no underage success in a number of years, which has, and continues to worry Cork people. Obviously they have a far larger pick than us, but it still shows what can be done with the right manager in place.

Deise Vu wrote: »

thats what we had already until the players took their stance. Effectively its going to be robbing Peter to pay Paul whoever comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

thats what we had already until the players took their stance. Effectively its going to be robbing Peter to pay Paul whoever comes in

Undoubtedly the stauts quo would have been the safest way to go. Unfortunately Michael Ryan has to be ruled out in my view. Regardless of the job he did, a section of the players don't want him and I do not see how anyone can manage in those circumstances.

The frontrunner to replace him, Derek McGrath, also has issues depending on who was behind the players revolt. The last thing we need is an East-West divide emerging in the dressing room (particularly if McGrath persuades his brother-in-law to line out again).

I do not envy the county board making this decision at all. You will notice I jibbed making any suggestions myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Just wondering, I keep hearing people saying "if the county board can afford him", how much are these top managers earning?

Just wondering, I keep hearing people saying "if the county board can afford him", how much are these top managers earning?

Technically speaking they are not meant to be earning anything as far as I know, but its about finances available in a particular county that will attract the top managers to certain counties. For example Limerick would be much more attractive job at the moment than Waterford as they will leave no expense spared and the manager can make whatever demands he sees fit bring in the top class coaches/backroom staff/dieticians etc and avail of the top class facilities.

Waterford on the other and you are operating on a shoe-string budget and you are basically told what you can and cannot do due to financial constraints. For someone like Liam Sheedy for example Waterford are not goin to go for a fellah like him as they know only the sun the moon and the stars will be good enough to coax him in as he will demand only the best to do his job to the best of his ability. Someone like Skully Ryan on the other hand would do it all himself with zero expenses if he had to because he loves the county and thats why its a big setback for the co. board that he has been ousted.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

Technically speaking they are not meant to be earning anything as far as I know, but its about finances available in a particular county that will attract the top managers to certain counties. For example Limerick would be much more attractive job at the moment than Waterford as they will leave no expense spared and the manager can make whatever demands he sees fit bring in the top class coaches/backroom staff/dieticians etc and avail of the top class facilities.

Waterford on the other and you are operating on a shoe-string budget and you are basically told what you can and cannot do due to financial constraints. For someone like Liam Sheedy for example Waterford are not goin to go for a fellah like him as they know only the sun the moon and the stars will be good enough to coax him in as he will demand only the best to do his job to the best of his ability. Someone like Skully Ryan on the other hand would do it all himself with zero expenses if he had to because he loves the county and thats why its a big setback for the co. board that he has been ousted.
    Of course we would never win anything with him in charge, but hey that's beside the point. As long as he costs nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

Half remember reading an article about him in the times years ago when he was cork manager, he is from aghabullogue originally, pretty sure he played with them but joined finbarrs when older... I think he was also a footballer.
    I know he was a principal but has since retired... Maybe he would like the Waterford job to keep him occupied.

Is there any wealthy benefactor around the county who can basically do a Roman Abramovich on things in Waterford, like JP has down in Limerick. Is there no millionaire out the Dunmore Road who says "I loves me county" or some filthy rich GAA freak hidden away in West Waterford with a quasi Cork accent, having made millions from a timely investment in Angry Birds.

Fatcats of Industry, Entrepeneurs of distinction, Ladies who organise charity balls, Trustafarians and internet whizzkid gazillionaires- is there not one dreamer amongst you...? Were you not inspired by last Sunday and Monday?? "Let's be having you" as Delia Smith once said after a few too many sherries.

Lets go from Carriganore to kicking it in the Caribbean for an off season training camp. Lets be feckless with Sliothars. Lets have another Jedward concert, just for the crack. Lets do this thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

haha brilliant, unfortunetly its wishful thinkin, because we're all huuuuuuuuuuuuuungry basterds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Advertisement

Great news for the rest of the hurling world. The man has become a serious liability in the last year.

Great news for the rest of the hurling world. The man has become a serious liability in the last year.

He has in his hole.

Officially nothing, but some are on generous mileage. I doubt for example that Mick O'Dwyer from his home to Wicklow a few times a week or that Kevin Ryan is doing the same to Antrim for the love of the games.

He has in his hole.

He has. He made some shocking decisions this year. Did you not notice?

He has. He made some shocking decisions this year. Did you not notice?

He had a team with a lot of miles on the clock, his best player (M Fennelly) was hobbled with injury), and yes he erred in picking an unfit Henry Shefflin (hadnt reckoned on sentimentality as being one if his characteristics), but to say he made shocking decisions is just kind of wummery. To say he is a liability- with his track record - is just idiotic to be honest.

Is there any wealthy benefactor around the county who can basically do a Roman Abramovich on things in Waterford, like JP has down in Limerick. Is there no millionaire out the Dunmore Road who says "I loves me county" or some filthy rich GAA freak hidden away in West Waterford with a quasi Cork accent, having made millions from a timely investment in Angry Birds.

Fatcats of Industry, Entrepeneurs of distinction, Ladies who organise charity balls, Trustafarians and internet whizzkid gazillionaires- is there not one dreamer amongst you...? Were you not inspired by last Sunday and Monday?? "Let's be having you" as Delia Smith once said after a few too many sherries.

Lets go from Carriganore to kicking it in the Caribbean for an off season training camp. Lets be feckless with Sliothars. Lets have another Jedward concert, just for the crack. Lets do this thing

John Halligan gives away some if not all the extras he gets as a TD. Maybe he could give it to the G.A.A. Might be small fish, but would be a help. But come to think about it, he is a soccer man. Has he ever gone to a G.A.A. match. I have never seen him at one, not in the railed off seats any.

Please stop feeding the troll guys, they are only saying provocative things to provoke a response

He had a team with a lot of miles on the clock, his best player (M Fennelly) was hobbled with injury), and yes he erred in picking an unfit Henry Shefflin (hadnt reckoned on sentimentality as being one if his characteristics), but to say he made shocking decisions is just kind of wummery. To say he is a liability- with his track record - is just idiotic to be honest.

His track record is history. It won't matter a damn if they fail to win the All Ireland this year. Yes the Shefflin thing was the height of bad judgement but so was peaking the team for the league final to send out a message. And if the team has suddenly grown old whose fault is it for not bringing through fresh talent?

• Advertisement

His track record is history. It won't matter a damn if they fail to win the All Ireland this year.

KK are probably favourites for the AI next year, he has a great chance of winning another one.
    . Yes the Shefflin thing was the height of bad judgement but so was peaking the team for the league final to send out a message.

Didnt do them too bad for the (i'm guessing) 4 years that they've done the league and AI double under Cody's reign
    . And if the team has suddenly grown old whose fault is it for not bringing through fresh talent?

Look we'd all like to see them winning nothing for a few years. But let's just see if this year is a blip or whether they truly have lost that magic touch that they had. That new corner back Murphy looks scarily like a new Tommy Walsh.

Anyway, this probably isn't the thread for this discussion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement