Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Neutral venues for round 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

I guess Thurles now out of the question, if they want a double header , as is pairc ui caoimh, so say will split it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

If its Waterford offaly Tipp and Wexford then surely Nowlan Park comes into the reckoning?

jacko1 wrote: »
    If its Waterford offaly Tipp and Wexford then surely Nowlan Park comes into the reckoning?

didn't consider that, yeah suppose its big enough for the match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

But if one game is going to be on next weekend and the other the weekend after? I think if Waterford are playing Tipp, Offaly or Wexford it will be in Nowlan Park. If it's Clare, it'll be Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

But if one game is going to be on next weekend and the other the weekend after? I think if Waterford are playing Tipp, Offaly or Wexford it will be in Nowlan Park. If it's Clare, it'll be Limerick.

Yea one qualifier is this weekend and the other the following.
    Unless they go mad altogether and have a double header in Wexford..

deise_girl wrote: »
    Yea one qualifier is this weekend and the other the following.
    Unless they go mad altogether and have a double header in Wexford..

Now that would be mad

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Be a lot of people listening to the radio in the morning I'd say..
    Interesting today when they asked Tj Reid about the Tactics of the game today..
    No tactics he said, just man for man, 15 against 15 and most importantly, be able
    to win your own ball..
    That's what we should be concentrating on doing..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have a feeling we will draw tipp tomorrow morning

It will be played in Nowlan park at 5pm on sat 12 July

PTH2009 wrote: »

Any idea of Wednesday's lotto numbers while you're at it?

• Advertisement

Last time we knocked out tipp,possibly only time,we were in the AI,and they don't look too good.

I think everyone wants and eyes offlay as the soft draw, but we have to hi real competition eventually, getting into a semi bu luck and calling it progress will do no one any favours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I think everyone wants and eyes offlay as the soft draw, but we have to hi real competition eventually, getting into a semi bu luck and calling it progress will do no one any favours

I know what you're saying but I'd gladly take Offaly in the draw. It would be a great chance to get to an AI QF and we wouldn't fear a lash at Limerick or Dublin if we beat Offaly. We'd go into that game with some momentum built up aswell.
    I'd much prefer to say get past Offaly and into a QF then to say, be beaten by Tipp for example. At the very least it'd be another championship game under the belts of the younger lads and hurling further into the summer so they can't be bad things.

I'm going to assume that Clare will beat Wexford in the replay and if that is the case then the more I think about it, the more I think we'd be catching them at a good time if we were to draw them. They'll have had two tough games v Wexford and their u21's also out against Tipp next week.
    With many of their u21's on the senior team they'd surely have a good few players that come into our game out on their feet.

All speculation of course but we'll know more later. Simply put, best case Offaly. Worst case Tipp. Middle of the draw Clare/Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

skaface wrote: »
    Be a lot of people listening to the radio in the morning I'd say..
    Interesting today when they asked Tj Reid about the Tactics of the game today..
    No tactics he said, just man for man, 15 against 15 and most importantly, be able
    to win your own ball..
    That's what we should be concentrating on doing..

Do that against KK and see how much you lose by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Orizio wrote: »
    Do that against KK and see how much you lose by.

Agreed.
    I can see why the management want to set up a system that will make us hard to beat. harsh truth is we dont have the quality of players (particularly forwards) at the moment to really take teams on in a 15 v 15 scenario and expect to win. Im not saying Im happy with the exact way we are going about things either as I dont really think its having the desired effect, but people need to be a bit more realistic aswell. Ive heard some people say that theyd rather see u lose the next round playing well than get into an AI quarter final with the current system. come on in fairness....

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Well you can see how well our defensive set up worked so far can't we. Three trimmings against Clare, Kilkenny and Cork.

Defensive set ups start at the front. Just look at all the passing Dublin tried around their back line yesterday and how KK hunted them down, by applying pressure there. This restricts the quality of ball being played out of the back line, giving the defender the edge. Wexford did the same to Clare for large parts on Saturday.

Our defensive system at the moment is based on flooding our half back line, hitting the ball aimlessly into our undermanned full forward line, where good quality opposition will pick up easy ball and use this time and space to launch attack after attack. Given an endless supply of quality ball good teams will hurt you no mater how many men yo have in the back line.

When KK look to isolate a full back, even where teams leave the extra defender back, their forwards get up in support like lightning. That is the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Waterford v clare/wex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Hurling
    Tipp v Offaly
    Waterford v Clare/Wexford

Neutral Venues

Football
    Sligo v Limerick
    Laois v Tipp

Venues to Be confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Clare or Wexford it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tough draw can't see us winning with the way we play

Probley be in thurles on the 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

u21s out on the thursday17th, it'll hardly be sat 19th, sunday 20th maybe!!

• Advertisement

48hrs after the u21 semi - frankly I'd prioritse the u21 !

Tough draw can't see us winning with the way we play

Probley be in thurles on the 19th

I think the internet would collapse with shock if you predicted a win for us

fairly certain that Sky have the rights and it specifies a sat night - SKy wont want to go up against Leinster Football Final on 20th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

The thought of maybe seeing Dan and Davy running up and down the sidelines ..... you'ld never get a chance to watch the match as it would be too boring compared to the sidelines.:D

I fear we wouldn't be able to live with either for 70 minutes due to the rigid system we play and the scores we get wouldn't be enough. We'ld require 20 + points and a goal or two and that is something we struggle to do every day.

Venue wise, thurles if its clare and nowlan park if its Wexford I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Clare or Wexford it is so, and we will go in as Underdogs which suits us.
    IF we do win who we play in the Quarter? Dublin or Cork/Limerick?
    Hope McGrath comes up with something to see us perform better and not get a trimming.

Still hard to see who will win in Sept,
    Cork should beat Limerick for Munster.
    Tipp should beat the Biffos handy enough too. They want a go at KK big time.

I think this 6 week wait for provincial winners goes against teams now and again.
    We got caught out in 2007 by Limerick and we ambushed Tipp in 2008 aswell.

Could be an AI in Cork or Tipp this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

48hrs after the u21 semi - frankly I'd prioritse the u21 !

I can see McGrath pulling his u21s out of that game

robopaddy wrote: »
    I can see McGrath pulling his u21s out of that game

If Clare get through then they have a similar problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

It's not a bad draw for ye in Waterford. Wexford and Clare have already had 1 bruising encounter with extra time thrown in for good measure.
    If Clare come through next Saturday there's an U21 semi final v Tipp mid week before the Waterford game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

If Clare get through then they have a similar problem

Clare play on the Wens we play on the Thurs. By all accounts the u21 team aren't going well at all so we could be having a quiet summer unless the minors can come up with something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement