Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

bruschi wrote: »
    this is where I'd see it too. IF* (and I'm keeping that asterisk there as it is a very big if) we beat Clare, Waterford should, and would still be favorites. As I said to Mountainlad in another thread, one swallow doesnt make a summer, nor does one game mean over a decade of crap has been eradicated with one game. Yes, we played excellently against Clare, but that performance has not been seen in that Wexford team yet. They need to follow it up with consistency before they can be considered as being back up there with the rest again. I'd like to have a crack off Waterford. Just after being relegated, a poor loss to Cork, its an ideal time to try get the win. But it would be another shock, not an expected win at all.

Its a GAA thing, but I dont understand why people rush to declare themselves underdogs and the opposition favorites. Doesnt make sense to me.

However, I dont think we will get a chance to play Waterford. I dont see us catching Clare on the hop like we did in the first 20 minutes again. Be great if we did, and it would be a fantastic game and atmosphere in Nowlan park, memories of a great Saturday evening in 2003 flooding back!

I think you're dismissing another couple of decent Wexford results from last year as well. Don't forget, they drew with Dublin the first day last year in a game that really could have gone either way. It was a very dour affair, but they very nearly came out on the right side of it.

After that they drew with Clare in normal time. I agree they looked a long way off Clare in terms of quality that day, but that seemed to be a feature of Clare games last year - they should have won more comfortably, including in the final.

And then obviously the draw yesterday, where if you'd have to say if Wexford were lucky to get it last year, Clare were equally lucky to get it this year.

I wouldn't write off Wexford against anyone. On their day they could cause an upset against anyone remaining except Offaly. 3 draws against top opposition is the type of thing you look back on and say we shouldn't have been surprised when they finally get over the line against a genuine contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

robopaddy wrote: »
    Agreed.
    I can see why the management want to set up a system that will make us hard to beat. harsh truth is we dont have the quality of players (particularly forwards) at the moment to really take teams on in a 15 v 15 scenario and expect to win. Im not saying Im happy with the exact way we are going about things either as I dont really think its having the desired effect, but people need to be a bit more realistic aswell. Ive heard some people say that theyd rather see u lose the next round playing well than get into an AI quarter final with the current system. come on in fairness....

Look what happened to Dublin yesterday with a two man forward line..
    Just like what happened to us against both Kilkenny and Clare in the League..
    We need a plan B, and not be so predictable..
    We're going to have to start Manning up.. The only team that put it up to Kilkenny
    over the last few years were Tipp when they went toe to toe with them..
    Why can't Waterford start believing in their own style and ability and stop the negativity.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I cant see us being strong enough in the forwards beating Clare or Wexford.

In recent times both Thurles and Nowlan Park have been bad stadiums for us

This match could be Bricks and Seamus Prendergasts last game for Waterford.

Cheer up Boy

Orizio wrote: »
    Do that against KK and see how much you lose by.

If we don't have the belief that we're as good as any of the teams in the Championship
    why bother playing them at all.. Every team can be beaten, including Kilkenny.
    Time for us to stop admiring teams and start beating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

skaface wrote: »
    Look what happened to Dublin yesterday with a two man forward line...

Dublin's problem there wasn't the two man full forward line, but the ballooning of high aimless ball in on top of Delaney and Tyrrell. They kept doing it - it was obviously a gameplan for them.

Wouldn't be too impressed with Daly. They looked to have gone back a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

Why would anyone think brick is going to retire? He's only 31 and as fit as a flea, tee totaller and non smoker, always fit, Christ there's some negativity been spouted on here, negative for the sake of being negative

Anyone know who the pat fanning from Waterford who was in charge of the Dublin minors is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Anyone know who the pat fanning from Waterford who was in charge of the Dublin minors is?

The Mount Sion Pat Fanning like all Pat Fannings. Pat Fannings grandson if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

redlead wrote: »
    The Mount Sion Pat Fanning like all Pat Fannings. Pat Fannings grandson if I'm not mistaken.

He is the son of the late Pat Fanning.

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    He is the son of the late Pat Fanning.

Brother of phil and an uncle of paraic so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

bruschi wrote: »

However, I dont think we will get a chance to play Waterford. I dont see us catching Clare on the hop like we did in the first 20 minutes again. Be great if we did, and it would be a fantastic game and atmosphere in Nowlan park, memories of a great Saturday evening in 2003 flooding back!

Ah you'd have to bring that one up... ;-). What a nightmare of a day that was from a Waterford point of view. Waterford just fell away in the second half and were blown out of it by Wexford when the fat was in the fire. And then to rub salt into the wounds, when one of the Wexford players (Paul Codd maybe?) was being interviewed after the game he said - and I'm paraphrasing - "look, we would never have any fear of a Waterford team at any stage, they're a shower of bottlers"

Maddening. Up there for me as one of the most disappointing results from the entire era.

Paul Codd has since got his commupance!!

Paul Codd has since got his commupance!!

If indeed it was him...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Minor Championship is all wide open now lads, whoever wants it the most will win it I think, Limerick and Waterford looking very strong as are Kilkenny based on yesterdays performance, Dublin will surely be better the next day out too and Galway are always a force at this level too. Very interesting year at this grade

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

Orizio wrote: »
    Do that against KK and see how much you lose by.

Michael Ryan did it last year and brought Kilkenny to extra time , these bloody ejects are trying to recreate the game of hurling. Can we go out for once with an actual full foward line and look like even half a treath up front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Anyone going to the minor final next week? This is a serious Limerick team, but we are more than capable of taking them. Management have some big calls to make. The worry for me with is that the spine of the team is rather unsettled. From full back right up. Sutton started at full back the last day as his physical presence was to be used to curtail the influence of the Clare full forward Shanagher. Limerick full forward Morrissey is a different type of player, quicker. So do you persist with the same full back? Sutton would be more accustomed to playing further out the field.
    Also, Conor Gleeson was moved back centre back for the last 20 mins of the game the last day where he excelled. Do you gamble on him there again? that could release Roche up to centre forward where he is more effective and would quell the influence of the Limerick centre back Ronan Lynch aswell. Midfield aswell we lacked ball winners the last day. One of Limericks main go-to men is the wing forward line Cian Lynch, killed us last year in the replay. Big ball winner, very quick and can pick off scores from all over. From our own perspective playing high balls down on top of Curran has not really worked in either of the 2 games to date. A big powerful player but hard to know where to use him. Hate to get bogged down on tactics at minor level god knows we are sick of it at senior level but I think this is a final which could be won or lost on the line.

edit: i mean cormac curran above obviously not patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah I agree the team is a bit unsettled, there seems to be a few places up for grabs and players being shifted from backs to forwards and vice versa makes you wonder what our best 15 is.

Eddie Meaney did very well when introduced the last few games so you'd imagine he'll be in line to start. Cormac Curran very capable of winning ball but can blow hot and cold.
    Where do you start Gleeson, Roche and Shane Bennett even?

The players are definitely there and there seems to be good options on the bench aswell, just a case of them performing on the day as that's what it always comes down to at minor.
    It's basically going to be an away game again this year with Limerick sure to bring a big crowd but we owe them one from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

While in a local establishment over the weekend I was informed that there's to be another concert held in the Fraher Field this year. The board have outsourced the event this time,just charging a fee to a promotion company. The actual lineup is under wraps at the moment so I was wondering has anyone else heard this? No Garth Brooks jokes now pleaseðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

cul beag wrote: »
    While in a local establishment over the weekend I was informed that there's to be another concert held in the Fraher Field this year. The board have outsourced the event this time,just charging a fee to a promotion company. The actual lineup is under wraps at the moment so I was wondering has anyone else heard this? No Garth Brooks jokes now pleaseðŸ˜

I heard 50 cent is to headline this time and the support act is Brendan shine

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Has anyone heard whether the U21 game has been put back? It's hardly fair for lads to be playing two knock out games in the space of a few days. Can't understand why the U21 wasn't played off weeks ago, poor form from the Munster Council.
    I reckon Limerick will be tough to beat in the minor, they have some fantastic hurlers in the two Lynches and Nash and I heard they have something like seven or eight starters from last year's team and another few subs. I agree that the Waterford team is unsettled and I don't think we have the same calibre of forwards as we had last year. I'd expect them to stick with Gleeson at centre back as the Limerick half forward line are very strong. I'd like to think someone would be assigned to picking up Lynch. O'Halleron should be considered too. He played very well in the half back line for Clashmore last year. Perhaps half back is his best position.
    The Waterford seniors face a tough ask whether it's Clare or Wexford. I know a lot of lads are complaining about Waterford's style of play but again we are seriously struggling for forwards. Prendergast was a great servant and one of my favourite but simply does not have the legs for this level anymore. Dunford has been a great find but he's still very very young and would he survive against the likes of Kilkenny. I just can't see us getting the scores required to beat a top 8 team. Unfortunately it's where we are at the moment.

• Advertisement

I heard 50 cent is to headline this time and the support act is Brendan shine
    LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

Anyone going to the minor final next week? This is a serious Limerick team, but we are more than capable of taking them. Management have some big calls to make. The worry for me with is that the spine of the team is rather unsettled. From full back right up. Sutton started at full back the last day as his physical presence was to be used to curtail the influence of the Clare full forward Shanagher. Limerick full forward Morrissey is a different type of player, quicker. So do you persist with the same full back? Sutton would be more accustomed to playing further out the field.
    Also, Conor Gleeson was moved back centre back for the last 20 mins of the game the last day where he excelled. Do you gamble on him there again? that could release Roche up to centre forward where he is more effective and would quell the influence of the Limerick centre back Ronan Lynch aswell. Midfield aswell we lacked ball winners the last day. One of Limericks main go-to men is the wing forward line Cian Lynch, killed us last year in the replay. Big ball winner, very quick and can pick off scores from all over. From our own perspective playing high balls down on top of Curran has not really worked in either of the 2 games to date. A big powerful player but hard to know where to use him. Hate to get bogged down on tactics at minor level god knows we are sick of it at senior level but I think this is a final which could be won or lost on the line.

edit: i mean cormac curran above obviously not patrick

Is Bennett injured?? Heard he broken nuckle

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

The team that loses the munster minor final on Sunday will be out 2 weeks later against Dublin in the quarter final while the winner will play either Galway or Antrim on the 10th August in the Semi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

The team that loses the munster minor final on Sunday will be out 2 weeks later against Dublin in the quarter final while the winner will play either Galway or Antrim on the 10th August in the Semi.

Good draw, Dublin were cat Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Looking at that draw, the loser of Munster might be better off. Neither Dublin or Kilkenny were supposed to be particularly strong this year.

Invariably if you meet a Galway team at minor they will be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 deisedoz

Lucky enough to get a ticket for Sunday so looking forward to minor final.

Limerick will probably be slight favourites on the basis of a great win in Cork and the fact that they retain a good number of last year's panel. As regards ourselves, as has been pointed out there seems to be uncertainty about the best position for a number of players. I would retain Roche at CB and pair Cormac Curran with Lyons in midfield and start Gleeson in the forwards but who knows how they'll line out. Have some reservations about FB line which wasn't tight enough against Clare and gave up some easy scores. Can anyone confirm story with Shane Bennett, he would be a huge loss.

Don't think there will be a lot in it but think Limerick may just come out on top by 3-4 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

In fairness to the management team they have had huge problems with injuries hence the unsettled look to the team. M J Sutton had only returned from a serious hip injury, Colm Roche has been out for a while, Patrick Curran has been concussed, and now Shane Bennett. These are all big players for the team. Add to this yo have long-term injuries such as Jack McCarthy of De la Salle, a serious hurler who was captain of the Tony Forristal team when this squad won it, played full back on Patrick Curran in the County final last year and Craig Browne of Erin's Own, another serious hurler plays corner back and was part of last year's set up.

Story with Shane Bennett is (as far as i know) had a good number of stitches inserted in a very wide hand wound, will try it out this week. Personally given that we have a second bite at the cherry after Sunday I would rest him and see how we o. Two weeks would make a big difference, whereas if he plays and opens the wound it could set him back weeks.

I think the Clare game will have done our lads the power of good and I have every confidence in we putting it up to Limerick even without Shane Bennett. It will be tough but Munster finals always are especially in Minor.

Best of luck to Derek Lyons his management team and of course the full panel of players - play without fear and give 'em hell and the result will be what it will be. This and last years bunch of lads have given so much to our county over the last 18 months they deserve every luck, praise and support..

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Any truth the u21 has been moved back one night to the Wens? Played at the same time as the Tipp/Clare game by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

cul beag wrote: »
    Any truth the u21 has been moved back one night to the Wens? Played at the same time as the Tipp/Clare game by all accounts.

Cork GAA tweeted it, you are correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

An extra 24 hours of recovery for players involved in both the senior and u21 is better than nothing. I'm surprised Cork agreed to it though but fair play to them for agreeing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement