Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Cake Man wrote: »
    An extra 24 hours of recovery for players involved in both the senior and u21 is better than nothing. I'm surprised Cork agreed to it though but fair play to them for agreeing.

Yea fair dues. Problem solved now couldn't really ask for much else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Anyone want to have a stab at the U21 team? Always seems to be confusion every year about who is/isn't underage. Are Darragh Fives, Eamonn Murphy, Martin O'Neill and Jake Dillon eligible this year?

The players I can think of that will make up the squad will be:
    Seanie Barry
    Ray Barry
    Paudie Prendergast
    Stephen Bennett (is he fit??)
    Shane McNulty
    Austin Gleeson
    Gavin O'Brien
    Colin Dunford
    Micháel Harney
    Ryan Donnelly
    Tadhg de Búrca
    Jamie Barron (fit?)
    Donie Breathnach (fit?)
    Kieran Power
    Cathal Curran
    Stephen Roche
    Shane Roche
    Cormac Heffernan

I'm sure there are a few I'm either forgetting or are overage (or maybe not even in the squad at all for whatever reason).

Like the minors it's hard to know who to play where as there seems to be plenty of players capable of playing in a variety of positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Anyone want to have a stab at the U21 team? Always seems to be confusion every year about who is/isn't underage. Are Darragh Fives, Eamonn Murphy, Martin O'Neill and Jake Dillon eligible this year?

The players I can think of that will make up the squad will be:
    Seanie Barry
    Ray Barry
    Paudie Prendergast
    Stephen Bennett (is he fit??)
    Shane McNulty
    Austin Gleeson
    Gavin O'Brien
    Colin Dunford
    Micháel Harney
    Ryan Donnelly
    Tadhg de Búrca
    Jamie Barron (fit?)
    Donie Breathnach (fit?)
    Kieran Power
    Cathal Curran
    Stephen Roche
    Shane Roche
    Cormac Heffernan

I'm sure there are a few I'm either forgetting or are overage (or maybe not even in the squad at all for whatever reason).

Like the minors it's hard to know who to play where as there seems to be plenty of players capable of playing in a variety of positions.

Jake Dillon is eligible. Other 3 are overage.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Jake Dillon is eligible. Other 3 are overage.

Paudie Prendergast is overage aswell.
    Add in Kevin Daly,Tom Devine and I hope Patrick Curran gets a call up from the minors also,even if he's not starting he's some addition to the squad. I'd say Barron is only 50/50 to make it so il have a go at the team
    Seanie Barry,
    Shane McNulty
    Kevin Daly
    Shane Roche
    Tadgh de Burca
    Kieran Power
    Ray Barry
    Tom Devine
    Gavin O Brien
    Jake Dillon
    Aussie Gleeson
    Donie Breathnach
    Ryan Donnelly
    Stephen Bennett /Patrick Curran
    Colin Dunford

If Barron is fit id play him instead of Breathnach or even start him at full forward seeing as Bennett mightn't be fit. DJ Foran is another option at wing forward aswell, can clearly win possession from puckouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Think Paudi Prendergast is over age?? Daly and Devine from last year's minor will probably be in contention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Anyone know if Bennett is back playing for Ballysaggart recently??

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

Does anyone know if the Minor match is been shown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

DE DEISE wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Minor match is been shown

Minor munster finals are never usually shown

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Annie Oakes

The U21 team should look something like this if everyone is fit for the game against cork: Expectation shoould be high enough on this team as they reached semi final stage when they were minor and also add into last years successful minors you should should deffo be able to put together a decent side.

Seanie Barry
    Shane Roche
    Daly
    Tadgh Burke
    McNulty
    Gleeson
    Harney/Devine
    Barry
    O Brien
    Barron
    Dillion
    Breathnach
    Curran
    Bennett
    Dunford

Interestingly the Minors played a challenge game against the u21s recently and were well beaten. I think u21s were only missing maybe 3/4 players. I hope the u21s play Curran as he is top class corner forward, if your good enoug your old enough. Conor Mcgrath was playing u21 when still a minor.
    I may have left people out,so apologies if I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The U21 team should look something like this if everyone is fit for the game against cork: Expectation shoould be high enough on this team as they reached semi final stage when they were minor and also add into last years successful minors you should should deffo be able to put together a decent side.

Seanie Barry
    Shane Roche
    Daly
    Tadgh Burke
    McNulty
    Gleeson
    Harney/Devine
    Barry
    O Brien
    Barron
    Dillion
    Breathnach
    Curran
    Bennett
    Dunford

Interestingly the Minors played a challenge game against the u21s recently and were well beaten. I think u21s were only missing maybe 3/4 players. I hope the u21s play Curran as he is top class corner forward, if your good enoug your old enough. Conor Mcgrath was playing u21 when still a minor.
    I may have left people out,so apologies if I have.

The minors beat the u21s or did the u21s beat the minors ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I reckon the under 21 panel will look something like this. I am assuming that Eoin Madigan is not available (he would be a hell of an addition if he was). Mark O'Brien, who has been featuring on UCC teams, may also be in the mix. Interestingly, of the ten on the senior panel, 8 are forwards (including Gavin O'Brien and Austin Gleeson). If Stephen Bennett is available that would mean moving three of these back to midfield or defence. The most likely transferees are Gavin O'Brien (midfield), Austin Gleeson (centre back) and Ray Barry (midfield or half back). Jamie Barron at corner back might also be an option. I do hope they give it a lash, as this team does have enormous potential.

Seanie Barry
    Tadhg Bourke
    Kevin Daly
    Shane McNulty
    Donie Breathnach
    Gavin O’Brien
    Jamie Barron
    Austin Gleeson
    Ray Barry
    Jake Dillon
    Kieran Power
    Ryan Donnelly
    Seamus Keating
    Mikey Kearney
    Tom Devine
    Adam O’Sullivan
    Cormac Heffernan
    Stephen Bennett
    Shane Roche
    DJ Foran
    Michael Harney
    Kieran Bennett
    Colin Dunford
    Cathal Curran

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I reckon the under 21 panel will look something like this. I am assuming that Eoin Madigan is not available (he would be a hell of an addition if he was).

Hes overage

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

I'd agree with the team posted by Annie Oakes tho I presume Ryan Donnelly would be in it ahead of Patrick Curran (for now anyway). K Power at 7 also I suppose. Placing T Bourke at corner back would allow him to man mark Alan Cadogan. Jamie Barron may be ok with a protective glove on hand.
    Derek McGrath said 13 of the senior panel are U-21, so the 3 others would be Barry in goal, Bennett who dropped off the official panel a couple of months ago to concentrate on recovery and Mark O Brien who was an unused sub in the earlier rounds of the League.
    It's a very good team on paper and this is a great chance to win our first match at this level since 2009.
    I know the squad is strong but would Darren Foley and Brenden Phelan be included I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

3ships wrote: »
    I'd agree with the team posted by Annie Oakes tho I presume Ryan Donnelly would be in it ahead of Patrick Curran (for now anyway). K Power at 7 also I suppose. Placing T Bourke at corner back would allow him to man mark Alan Cadogan. Jamie Barron may be ok with a protective glove on hand.
    Derek McGrath said 13 of the senior panel are U-21, so the 3 others would be Barry in goal, Bennett who dropped off the official panel a couple of months ago to concentrate on recovery and Mark O Brien who was an unused sub in the earlier rounds of the League.
    It's a very good team on paper and this is a great chance to win our first match at this level since 2009.
    I know the squad is strong but would Darren Foley and Brenden Phelan be included I wonder

Darren Foley in US, Brendan Phelan dropped himself from panel, (injured)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

When is the Waterford v Clare/Wexford game ? is it 19th July ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Limestone1 wrote: »
    When is the Waterford v Clare/Wexford game ? is it 19th July ?

Yes

Any sign of a minor team announced for Sunday? Very interested to see what positional switches are made...

robopaddy wrote: »
    Any sign of a minor team announced for Sunday? Very interested to see what positional switches are made...

Apparently Roche was centre back and Gleeson was centre forward for the game against the u21's. I would be worried slightly about that going on the game against Clare. Big week for Waterford hurling coming up,minors will still be in the all Ireland series whatever the result is on Sunday but both the u21 and Senior have difficult tasks ahead of them against Cork and Clare/Wexford respectively. It's going to be a tough task for the u21 players that will play the senior aswell,having to get up mentally for Cork on Wens and then again for the senior qualifier on the Sat.
    Here's hoping the minors get us off to the perfect start on Sunday. No reason why they shouldn't,they're a decent side with very decent players whom all have had big game experience through colleges or intercounty so shouldn't be fazed by the occasion.
    Anyone know if Mickey Kearney from ballyduff upper is on the u21 squad? Haven't seen his name mentioned on any of the posts here and he's one fella who is going very well for his club in the senior championship this year.

cul beag wrote: »
    .Anyone know if Mickey Kearney from ballyduff upper is on the u21 squad? Haven't seen his name mentioned on any of the posts here and he's one fella who is going very well for his club in the senior championship this year.

I know he wasnt initially as he was still only doing the leaving. Unless he might have been called up after it Im not sure but wouldnt be a bad fellah to spring off the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Is the U21 match v cork on next wed night as in on the munster gaa website ? as i was told to day it is gone now untill after the Saturday night Qualifier, can anyone confirm this?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Can't confirm it but the Munster GAA website is spot on generally and I go there for fixtures first.

Also can't confirm but presume

Minor Final live Radio WLR Sunday
    U-21 match deferred coverage tg4 Wed
    All Ireland Qualifier v Clare / Wex live Sky sports

One thing for definate is That GAA it's Friday this evening RTE2 8:30
    featuring a piece on Stephen Molumphy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Do ye think the Minor team could deliver another All Ireland this year or what are yere expectations?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

3ships wrote: »
    Can't confirm it but the Munster GAA website is spot on generally and I go there for fixtures first.

Also can't confirm but presume

Minor Final live Radio WLR Sunday
    U-21 match deferred coverage tg4 Wed
    All Ireland Qualifier v Clare / Wex live Sky sports

One thing for definate is That GAA it's Friday this evening RTE2 8:30
    featuring a piece on Stephen Molumphy

This is more likely to be on RTE, as Sky are showing the other round 2 qualifier tomorrow night between Tipp and Offaly

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Do ye think the Minor team could deliver another All Ireland this year or what are yere expectations?

Theyve been a successful group up through the grades winning tony forristal and nenagh plate u16 2 years ago but whether as good as last Years group remains to be seen. They've got to a Munster final with an unsettled enough team so Sunday will tell a lot.
    Limerick I believe are bookies faves for the all ireland

Minor team for sunday has been announced
    1. Billy Nolan
    2. David Prendergast
    3. MJ Sutton
    4. Michael Cronin
    5. Conor Prunty
    6. Colm Roche
    7. Jack Mullaney
    8. Darragh Lyons
    9. Andy Molumpy
    10. Shane Bennett
    11. Conor Gleeson
    12. Cormac Curran
    13. Peter Hogan
    14. Aaron O Sullivan
    15. Patrick Curran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

robopaddy wrote: »
    Theyve been a successful group up through the grades winning tony forristal and nenagh plate u16 2 years ago but whether as good as last Years group remains to be seen. They've got to a Munster final with an unsettled enough team so Sunday will tell a lot.
    Limerick I believe are bookies faves for the all ireland

Thats correct, Limerick are the narrowest of favourites at 15/8 with Kilkenny a very close second at 2/1. Galway are 3rd favourites at 10/3 so at that evidence they must have a fairly good side, Id imagine many of their runners up team from last year are still underage. Then Waterford are 5/1 fourth favourites. All in all on this evidence you would have to say that this emphasises the importance of winning the Munster Final for either team, Galway will be a very tough proposition for whoever loses. With all due respect you cant imagine Dublin having many problems beating Antrim in the other quarter final although last years U21 semi final showed that you can get the very odd freak result

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Am I right in saying that's an unchanged team from the Clare game?

Does anyone know if the u21 games next Weds will be live in WLR?

no 1 change Prendergast at corner back for Hayden

• Registered Users Posts: 19 1club1county

1 change. David prendergast in for Eddie Hayden. I heard Eddie picked up a dead leg in a club game.

• Advertisement

Think they're broadcasting alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement