Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Thats correct, Limerick are the narrowest of favourites at 15/8 with Kilkenny a very close second at 2/1. Galway are 3rd favourites at 10/3 so at that evidence they must have a fairly good side, Id imagine many of their runners up team from last year are still underage. Then Waterford are 5/1 fourth favourites. All in all on this evidence you would have to say that this emphasises the importance of winning the Munster Final for either team, Galway will be a very tough proposition for whoever loses. With all due respect you cant imagine Dublin having many problems beating Antrim in the other quarter final although last years U21 semi final showed that you can get the very odd freak result

I think whoever wins Munster will go shorter than Kilkenny. Also Galways odds have really no basis other than a County with a good record at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

I think whoever wins Munster will go shorter than Kilkenny. Also Galways odds have really no basis other than a County with a good record at this level.

As it is Id certainly say Limerick will go heavy favourites if they win. Certainly their odds will lengthen significantly if they lose because they would have to play Galway and then potentially Kilkenny in a Semi Final. Do you think Waterford will go favourites or will Kilkenny edge in front? May be right as I could see the Munster winners beating Dublin seeing as Kilkenny beat them quite comfortably even more so than the scoreline suggested

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    As it is Id certainly say Limerick will go heavy favourites if they win. Certainly their odds will lengthen significantly if they lose because they would have to play Galway and then potentially Kilkenny in a Semi Final. Do you think Waterford will go favourites or will Kilkenny edge in front? May be right as I could see the Munster winners beating Dublin seeing as Kilkenny beat them quite comfortably even more so than the scoreline suggested

I wouldsay Waterford might take Limerick's price or be on an even keel. As all-ireland champions, they should be favourites if they win Sunday but Kilkenny had a big win and have the tradition (though it means little) so that will be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

I wouldsay Waterford might take Limerick's price or be on an even keel. As all-ireland champions, they should be favourites if they win Sunday but Kilkenny had a big win and have the tradition (though it means little) so that will be a factor.

Either way I would say it is fairly close but going on betting and the structure of the draw I would think myself that Waterford may go joint favourites or even narrow favourites if they win as Kilkenny would certainly have a tougher Semi Final fixture, tradition is not the only factor taken into consideration for Kilkenny though although at underage level it really does mean nothing. I reckon we have a very good Minor team the best we have had in a few years some very talented hurlers on the team and said that before the year began and in the immediate aftermath of that freak result against Dublin the first day plus we had the 2 Colleges finalists whilst we know all about Waterford and Limericks capabilities from last year, much of Limericks team still underage and Waterford have a few talented players left from last years team and as someone else said earlier on, this current Waterford team won at Tony Forristal level and U16 so all in all these 3 teams have the pedigree and there wont be much between them in the betting I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

KevIRL wrote: »
    This is more likely to be on RTE, as Sky are showing the other round 2 qualifier tomorrow night between Tipp and Offaly

Ok so that would make it an early throw in (5pm?) if I'm not mistaken.

WLR ARE covering the minor final tomorrow and according to TG4 twitter they will show Clare Tipp U-21 live Wed followed by highlights of Waterford Cork U-21. Also the advertised Stephen Molumphy feature on Thank GAA its Friday has been deferred one week to co-incide with the build up to next weeks game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

Corks half foward line did extremely well in the minor semi final and with ours being probably our best line on the pitch I think that's where we can win the game , a lit rests upon c.Currans shoulders

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Big seven days ahead for Waterford hurling, with our Minors first out tomorrow,
    followed on Wednesday by our U21,s and our seniors at the weekend..
    Best of luck to the players and management teams

Deise Abu !!!!

skaface wrote: »
    Big seven days ahead for Waterford hurling, with our Minors first out tomorrow,
    followed on Wednesday by our U21,s and our seniors at the weekend..
    Best of luck to the players and management teams

Deise Abu !!!!

Same thing happened last year, was a particularly miserable week. Hopefully we'll reverse the form in all three!

Ya, hope the minors and U21,s are successful, which might give the seniors a big boost coming into next weekend.
    Be interested to see will the Wexford lads
    that played U21 during the week get tired
    today against Clare.. I suppose you don't feel it as much when you're winning!!
    Bound to have given them a massive boost going into the game today, especially with home advantage.
    Should be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Right lads. Let's go knock out Wexford :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Brilliant game of hurling. Roll on next weekend!!! Hopefully Wexford will be exhausted / struggle to raise their game again after two titanic matches!!

Up the Deise

PS Hurling- what a game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Wexford did well against Clares system and should have won by a mile only for all the wides, but they looked shaky in defense and hopefully we can exploit that. Two games gone to extra time will sap alot of energy too. We defo have the potential to beat them but we'd want to up it alot from the Laois game. We'll have no fear of them though!

Is it in Walsh Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Nowlan park next sat. 7pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Nothing to be fear facing Wexford. Struggling to beat 14 players the first day and 13 today shows how limited they are despite all the plaudits they are getting having won.

deisedude wrote: »
    Nothing to be fear facing Wexford. Struggling to beat 14 players the first day and 13 today shows how limited they are despite all the plaudits they are getting having won.

Waterford no world beaters either and with our u21s out Wed this will be a tough one... Hopefully we can do it

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Cant say I have happy memories of Wexford in Nolan Park, (mind u don't know if anyone other than Kilkenny have happy memories of Nolan Park in general) Wexford always believe they can beat us and after the win tonight they may well believe they have the game already won .With a bit of luck that will be their downfall, To be honest I don't think either team were that outstanding but you cant fault them for heart and passion, how Wexford did not go on and win the game in normal time against 13 man Clare is beyond me, but fair play to them they never gave up .

They have a big, strong fast forward line and I would have concerns about Lawlor's pace in full back but he hasn't let us down to often in fairness, going to have his hands full though in McGovern They do play a more conventional style game though which I think will suit our players, ( perhaps not our system) so we should not have any fear of them , treat them with respect but don't make their belief that they can beat us a reality.

Going to be a big week for Waterford Hurling, hopefully a good one too, best of luck to the minors tomorrow really looking forward to heading down , and as long as we come through without injuries I actually think the un 21 game on Wed could be good for us , (especially if we can win )

Go wan the Deise

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Much easier to be facing Wexford than Clare. Wexford struggled to beat 13 men. Clare in addition was without Collins and O'Donnell. Wexford players will not be able to lift their performance for a third week on the trot. In fact this will be the fourth game for some of the Wexford players (some played in Leinster U-21 Final this week). Wexford shooting was atrocious. Waterford should be fresher though some of the players are out on Wednesday night. It is being handed to Waterford on a plate. Waterford can have no excuses if Wexford is not beaten.
    Putting it bluntly.: Defeat to this Wexford team is not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Waterford no world beaters either and with our u21s out Wed this will be a tough one... Hopefully we can do it

No doubt we arent world beaters. It could be a shocking bad game of hurling given the amount of wides both teams have been shooting!

Has that time been confirmed for next Saturday..
    Well done to Wexford today, great win.

No doubt we arent world beaters. It could be a shocking bad game of hurling given the amount of wides both teams have been shooting!
    Exactly and with tactics aswell could be as bad as the laois game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

skaface wrote: »
    Has that time been confirmed for next Saturday..
    Well done to Wexford today, great win.

Day and venue confirmed but not the time

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Day and venue confirmed but not the time

Sky were saying 7pm tonight, but I dont know how confirmed that is..

Will tickets for Nowlan Park be general admission or will you be given seat numbers do we think?

culbaire wrote: »
    Much easier to be facing Wexford than Clare. Wexford struggled to beat 13 men. Clare in addition was without Collins and O'Donnell. Wexford players will not be able to lift their performance for a third week on the trot. In fact this will be the fourth game for some of the Wexford players (some played in Leinster U-21 Final this week). Wexford shooting was atrocious. Waterford should be fresher though some of the players are out on Wednesday night. It is being handed to Waterford on a plate. Waterford can have no excuses if Wexford is not beaten.
    Putting it bluntly.: Defeat to this Wexford team is not acceptable.

This "not acceptable" piece is bullshyte, as if we have a divine right to be beating Wexford, you sound like a Tipp fan there going on like that ;-).

Wexford have knocked out the AI Champions tonight so give them a bit of credit as they fought like tigers over both nights even if their shooting was off. The better team will win next week and if it's us great, an extra game will stand our team in good stead , and if it's them I will be wishing them well and that's it. I think it's a 50/50 game even if the bookies have WX as favourites after tonight's performance. Hope we can do it.

deise_girl wrote: »
    Sky were saying 7pm tonight, but I dont know how confirmed that is..

Will tickets for Nowlan Park be general admission or will you be given seat numbers do we think?

I'd say general admission, that's what it was for the sold out KK - Tipp qualifier last year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Deskjockey wrote: »
    This "not acceptable" piece is bullshyte, as if we have a divine right to be beating Wexford, you sound like a Tipp fan there going on like that ;-).

Wexford have knocked out the AI Champions tonight so give them a bit of credit as they fought like tigers over both nights even if their shooting was off. The better team will win next week and if it's us great, an extra game will stand our team in good stead , and if it's them I will be wishing them well and that's it. I think it's a 50/50 game even if the bookies have WX as favourites after tonight's performance. Hope we can do it.
    Wexford beat a Clare team which ended the match with 13 players. The Clare team was missing several key players. Wexford was playing at home tonight. Waterford will play Wexford at Nowlan Park and will be by far the fresher of the two teams. The reality is that Wexford in both matches squandered many chances. It is being handed to Waterford on a plate. It is there for the taking. The time for excuses is over. Wexford is an enthusiastic but average team well coached by Liam Dunne.

Deskjockey wrote: »
    I'd say general admission, that's what it was for the sold out KK - Tipp qualifier last year anyway

Will it be telivised by Sky or Rte, Or maybe it's not on at all.. Anyone??

Lawlor has never let us down, ever. Full stop. Not this 'not often' business. Christ, how many times must a man go out and prove himself and yet still be identified as the weak link? He'll never win.

As for Wexford, coming team and some very good young talent. That said, 10 points clear against Clare and let it slip, playing 14 men second half. Must have had 30 wides between both games. Couldn't beat 13 men today, and extra time in two weeks plus that 21s game, there will be fatigue there.

The bottom line is we should be expecting to win. If we don't fancy ourselves against Wexford, who were behind us as recently as last year and well behind previously, then what ambition to we have? We need to stop looking at others, and start considering ourselves as a good team with some very good players. No ifs, no buts. No excuses.

Wexford beat a Clare team which ended the match with 13 players. The Clare team was missing several key players. Wexford was playing at home tonight. Waterford will play Wexford at Nowlan Park and will be by far the fresher of the two teams. The reality is that Wexford in both matches squandered many chances. It is being handed to Waterford on a plate. It is there for the taking. The time for excuses is over. Wexford is an enthusiastic but average team well coached by Liam Dunne.

Culbaire, I think that you are doing Wexford a disservice here, they have beaten a proven (All Ireland winning) Clare team that absolutely filleted Waterford the last time they met (by 5-20 to 0-18 the last time they met in this year's league), a team who went through the Waterford defense like a hot knife through butter. That Clare team contained multiple allstars from last year including last year's HOTY Tony Kelly (who is a wizard in my book) and Wexford deserve credit for overcoming that challenge, sendings off or no. Ultimately both this week and last week in extra time, Wexford played 15 v 15 against these guys and came out on top.

Like all Waterford fans I'm happy that we are playing Wexford rather than Clare, and I do think that we have a good opportunity to beat them- and will be there to support the team next Saturday night- but to say that it would be unacceptable for this Waterford team to beat Wexford is an overstatement and a bit churlish given the way things have turned out. As mentioned above hopefully Wexford playing the three weeks in a row will tell next Saturday night and we can do the business.

Up the Déise

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

There should be absolutely no fear of that Wexford team. The played with great heart and endurance but their shooting and control was diabolical. Half the time taking the ball to hand took a couple of attempts. Just overall panicy.
    I swear to Jesus if we go out with a 2 man forward line and hand pass around I'm burning the place down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Waterford are certainly no world beaters.

If Wexford can match Clare like that over 2 games and put them out they can definitely give Waterford a game.

Going to be very tight in the betting as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement