Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

So the winners of next weeks game will face Limerick in a QF the following weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DunedinOg

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    I have to correct you there and say that Cricket is Australia's national sport followed by Rugby Union. I love the game of hurling too but I am not blind to the popularity of what we call soccor and by critizing a game that has spread way farther than all the countries that were colonized by Britian wont make the game of hurling any better. Will you be watching the World Cup tonight I wonder.

Rugby union is nowhere near the national game of Australia, it is well behind Aussie Rules, cricket and rugby league in popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    I have to correct you there and say that Cricket is Australia's national sport followed by Rugby Union. I love the game of hurling too but I am not blind to the popularity of what we call soccor and by critizing a game that has spread way farther than all the countries that were colonized by Britian wont make the game of hurling any better. Will you be watching the World Cup tonight I wonder.
    You are not fully correct. You obviously dont know the difference between Rugby League and Rugby Union.
    The most attended sports in Australia in order of popularity are:
    (1)Australian Rules
    (2) Racing
    (3) NRL(National Rugby League)
    (4)Motor Sports
    (5 )Soccer
    (6) Cricket
    (7) Rugby Union
    The point I made is that Rules is an indigenous Australian game. The Aussies are proud of it and don't give a damn what outsiders think. Thats how true hurling people in Ireland feel as well. Hurling is indigenous to Ireland.
    It was you who in your original post had a dig at hurling on SKY Sports and introduced World Cup Soccer into a discussion that had nothing to do with soccer. I am not an anti soccer bigot. However I regularly listen to soccer supporters make jibes about hurling-similar to the one you made

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Ropaire wrote: »
    Will I pipe down and start believing in the infallibility of a manager who hasn't won a game of note or tried to change a clearly malfunctioning system our players aren't suited to like you? Not likely! Just out of curiosity, where does the blind faith you have in him come from? Are you related to him or something?
    exactly "piss up in a brewery"
    blind faith since 63

exactly "piss up in a brewery"
    blind faith since 63
    no **** tactics today ,no overplayin the ball out of defence,no ridicilous short hand passing game, just good quick hurling ,quick ball into anyone of 6 forwards ,great game when a manager does'nt believe he actually is a tactical genius ,as for all who thought Clare could not be touched ,and we have to play the clare way ,ffs ye make me laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

Any analysis on the minor game only listened to it on the radio as I couldn't get a ticket. But wow some heart shown will defo be in thurlas fir replay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Great heart shown by the minors to pull the game out of the fire, really thought our goose was cooked after we went 7 down but to be fair to the lads they started to win every ball and created the chances.

Funny game, we could have been hammered in one sense but could have won by a few points in another with a few goal chances mid way through the second half going a begging.
    Was nice for Lim to get a taste of a sickener of a last min goal equaliser like what we got last year (if I recall correctly that Morrissey lad who scored it took about 10 steps aswell to rub salt into the wounds).

Hopefully we get revenge for last year and Lim are the ones who feel they left it behind so this should give us a boost in the replay I think. We were very flat in that replay last year and you could see the psychological effect of having thrown it away the first day.

Since Cork beat Limerick in the senior final, I'm sure this now means Waterford/Wexford will play Limerick in the QF, as I don't think Tipp can meet Limerick again so it'll have to be Tipp v Dublin (open to correction on that one though).

• Registered Users Posts: 35 deisedoz

Interesting to see what way quarters are laid out and where they will be played...a Croker double header would give Dublin home advantage and a Thurles double header would do likewise for Tipp. Possibly two standalones with Limerick game v ourselves /Wexford in Thurles and Dublin v Tipp in Nowlan Park?

It is crucial that we win next week...Wexford have come on but are far removed from the level many believe them to be at and will be on their third weekend on the trot ...if we can't beat them and persist with our baffling tactics then the year will have to be chalked down as a failure and hard questions will need to be asked of management.

Fabulous resilience from minors today and great to get another crack at it. Sadly had to give up my ticket but sounded like a very tense affair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

deisedoz wrote: »
    Interesting to see what way quarters are laid out and where they will be played...a Croker double header would give Dublin home advantage and a Thurles double header would do likewise for Tipp. Possibly two standalones with Limerick game v ourselves /Wexford in Thurles and Dublin v Tipp in Nowlan Park?

It is crucial that we win next week...Wexford have come on but are far removed from the level many believe them to be at and will be on their third weekend on the trot ...if we can't beat them and persist with our baffling tactics then the year will have to be chalked down as a failure and hard questions will need to be asked of management.

Fabulous resilience from minors today and great to get another crack at it. Sadly had to give up my ticket but sounded like a very tense affair!

Double header in Thurles is what I'm hearing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

culbaire wrote: »
    Wexford beat a team that ended up with 13 men and was without Collins and O'Donnell. Wexford was playing at home. As it was Clare nearly won the game with 13 men. It is much easier for Waterford to be playing Wexford than a full strength Clare team. Leg weariness will be a major problem for Wexford next Saturday night. So there are no excuses for Waterford. Putting it bluntly a MUST WIN attitude is essential. i am just sick of the excuses and inferiority complex in Waterford! Get rid of them and adopt a MUST WIN attitude.

Just in relation to this, you've said numerous times that Clare finished the game with 13 men, they didn't, they finished with 15 men. Plus I dont get the argument of trying to run down Wexfords performance in beating the reigning AI champions by stating these things or saying that they were at home etc. Both teams started with the same conditions, and the end result was Wexford won. Over both games, CLare had 2 players dismissed for really stupid petulantly losing their composure, and the other one was sent off because he couldnt cope with his opponent beating him up a stick. They also played them down in Ennis and werent defeated. And when Clare had 13 men on the field, they didnt nearly win the game, they needed a very dodgy 65 to level things with the last puc of the 70 minutes.

I'd love it if the Waterford team take a 'Must win' attitude into the game. Talk about putting pressure on yourself? There is a difference between believing you can/should win and saying you must win. Instead of running down Wexford and talking of hypothetical situations, you would be better off trying to talk up your own side and where they can win it.

I didnt think we'd beat Clare, at all to be honest. But I do believe we can beat Waterford. The bookies have Waterford as slight favorites, which is correct, and I'd say the media will be split 50-50, and probably more will tip Wexford as they are fresher in the mind having had 2 epic games shown on TV. But reality is Waterford are still a level above us and if we are to win, it would be another great stepping stone on a long recovery.

Both sides will fancy their chances, and both sides will believe they can win. If it is anything like the atmosphere and craic in 03 it will be great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

Double header in Thurles is what I'm hearing.

Before we get ahead of ourselves, we have to beat Wexford first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

DE DEISE wrote: »
    Before we get ahead of ourselves, we have to beat Wexford first

It's a double header in Thurles, regardless of who wins next weekend to my knowledge.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Get in! Rescued that! Repeat in reverse if last year well done lads!
    repeat in reverse ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Any analysis on the minor game only listened to it on the radio as I couldn't get a ticket. But wow some heart shown will defo be in thurlas fir replay

Team showed great heart and belief to come from 7 points down to draw, In truth I felt our hurling never really flowed, even when we had our periods on top, to casual in our play for the first 20 min and when we did come into the game it seemed in spurts and somewhat nervous.
    The fact that we managed to draw the game without playing to our potential has to be a positive though, mixed bag in terms of personal displays,

Bennet was our best player over the 60 min with others coming in and out, cant really critise any one because they never gave up but am sure a lot of the players will feel they can up their game for the replay. Hope Patrick Curran is not serious, looked in a lot of pain after being taken out of it just before our first goal.

can take great heart for the replay , Limerick are a strong side but I feel we have the goods to take them in the replay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Limerick really should have closed it out. They had a period at the start of the second half that had 7 or 8 wides and thats what ultimately gave waterford the belief to come back into it. In the end I thought waterford got the result they deserved. Thought Limerick were actually quite cynical in the second half particularly on Patrick Curran. Thought he took some fierce punishment, there was 2 men following him everytime he went for the ball and he should have had at least 2 or 3 frees when he was dragged down but the ref waved play on. Wasnt surprised to see Curran come off injured in the end and hope he'll be alright for the replay and a marked man like that really should be entitled to more protection from referees.
    I thought we were very slow to make changes on the line but when we did eventually make them they paid off. I really dont think this Limerick team is as good as they were made out to be, they really took the foot off the gas in the last 10 / 15 minutes. Their forwards that were running us ragged in the first half like Cian Lynch, Morrissey and Nash all faded. Interesting to see how the replay goes. Last year Limerick came with the late surge and their tails were up for the replay and hopefully we can go into the next game with the ascendancy. I think this game will have brought us on a lot as our 2 previous games were both scrappy affairs and today the lads started to express themselves a bit more. Really have nothing to fear going forward now as we showed to day were as good as the best in this competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Great comeback form the minors, showed great heart and belief in themselves to reel in Limerick's 7 point lead with about 8/10 minutes left.

Waterford never seemed to play to their full potential but showed glimpses of the class they possess. Hopefully this game will have brought them on a lot for the replay. Limerick hit a lot of wides in the second that could have had us buried. In saying that, Waterford missed a few very good goal chances including a penalty just before half time.

I thought the moving of Cormac Curran to full forward was the turning point for Waterford. He started catching balls and caused all sorts of trouble to the Limerick full back line, scoring the first goal to bring us back into the game. Patrick Curran looked very dangerous and almost scored an unbelievable goal with a first time pull without even controlling the ball, flew just wide but would have been some score. Hopefully his injury isnt serious but he seemed in a bit of bother leaving the field.

This game should bring Waterford on a lot and hopefully the team will be more settled coming into the replay. I'd expect to see Cormac Curran at full forward. Looking forward to the replay already, this team has shown huge potential and are capable of more again.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Was honoured to be in Cork yesterday to witness a really gutsy display by this Waterford side. Thought we started very nervous on the pitch and on the line. Could not believe my eyes at throw in that the only player in side the Waterford 45 was Billy Nolan, Limerick just emptied our half of the field and we followed. Took us a long while to settle and lacked our normal intensity for the first 15 minutes- Credit again to Billy Nolan for keeping us in touch, but boy did we show character at the end, especially with the Limerick crowd at it most vocal

Full credit to these young lads, they just refuse to give up - twice yesterday they hauled themselves back for 6 / 7 point deficits. Credit to every single one who played any part of the 60 odd minutes. No wanting to single anyone out after such a strong team display, but Shane Bennett yesterday must get special mention. Considering he had very little hurling over the last 10 days, Patrick Curran just injured, a difficult free at any time, on technically the wrong side of the field for him, with let us say a "vocal" Limerick crowd doing their best to put him of and he splits the posts to leave just one score between the sides as if he were in a training match. - as Davy would say "hats off to him"

Speaking of Patrick Curran, but is it just me or is it ridiculous the amount of time this lad gets fouled, he gets less than 50% of the frees he is entitled to and hardly anyone gets booked. Yesterday he got tripped, kicked, elbowed, short-armed and sat on, sometimes by two players and he got no protection from the ref. I have seen professional rugby players get less treatment. Maybe it is my "blue tinted glasses" but to me he doesn't go looking for a free, all the time trying to play the ball, but that doesn't mean that they should be left savage him. A Limerick player dropped the elbow on him yesterday after the first goal and hence he having to leave the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Lads, any idea what time the minor replay is on at Tuesday week?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Lads, any idea what time the minor replay is on at Tuesday week?

I would guess 7 or 7.30

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Think I read somewhere it was 7:30

The big question though.. Will they open the 2 stands this year :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

blueflame wrote: »
    Was honoured to be in Cork yesterday to witness a really gutsy display by this Waterford side. Thought we started very nervous on the pitch and on the line. Could not believe my eyes at throw in that the only player in side the Waterford 45 was Billy Nolan, Limerick just emptied our half of the field and we followed. Took us a long while to settle and lacked our normal intensity for the first 15 minutes- Credit again to Billy Nolan for keeping us in touch, but boy did we show character at the end, especially with the Limerick crowd at it most vocal

Full credit to these young lads, they just refuse to give up - twice yesterday they hauled themselves back for 6 / 7 point deficits. Credit to every single one who played any part of the 60 odd minutes. No wanting to single anyone out after such a strong team display, but Shane Bennett yesterday must get special mention. Considering he had very little hurling over the last 10 days, Patrick Curran just injured, a difficult free at any time, on technically the wrong side of the field for him, with let us say a "vocal" Limerick crowd doing their best to put him of and he splits the posts to leave just one score between the sides as if he were in a training match. - as Davy would say "hats off to him"

Speaking of Patrick Curran, but is it just me or is it ridiculous the amount of time this lad gets fouled, he gets less than 50% of the frees he is entitled to and hardly anyone gets booked. Yesterday he got tripped, kicked, elbowed, short-armed and sat on, sometimes by two players and he got no protection from the ref. I have seen professional rugby players get less treatment. Maybe it is my "blue tinted glasses" but to me he doesn't go looking for a free, all the time trying to play the ball, but that doesn't mean that they should be left savage him. A Limerick player dropped the elbow on him yesterday after the first goal and hence he having to leave the field.
    Have to agree with you I went to see Dungarvan play Tallow in this year's championship and he took unbelievable punishment again. Something should be definitely done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

deise_girl wrote: »
    Think I read somewhere it was 7:30

The big question though.. Will they open the 2 stands this year :pac:

Jesus I'd forgotten about that absolute farce :o

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

How does this years minor team rate against last years minirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

I think it is unfair to compare teams from different years. Last year we had some outstanding individuals and players that grew as the tournament progressed. This year again some outstanding individuals and we will have to see how they develop.

At this stage last year our minors had lost to Tipp, hammered Clare, survived in Cork and lost a comfortable lead against Limerick. This year they outfought Clare in Ennis and then rode their look against them in Dungarvan, and came back from the dead against Limerick in a cauldron in Cork They have had less games than last year but you can see they have the same guts, determination and never say die attitude.

Will they beat Limerick in the replay, - I don't know.
    Will they win an All Ireland - I don't now

Will they give their all in search of both these titles, - i believe so and if they are to win either, luck will have to play a part as it does in any All Ireland winning side.

These are a really dedicated and talented bunch of lads willing to go to the end. They have big shoes to fill from last year, but boy did they show yesterday how determined they are to do that.

Big appeal to all supporters, get along to Thurles on Tuesday week. I know we have Walsh Park this Wednesday and Nolan Park on Saturday, but last year in Thurles we were vastly outnumbered by Limerick in the replay - lets not let that happen this year. Because of the senior pairing yesterday our lads had to battle both the Limerick team and the crowd yesterday, and they did so valiantly. They deserve every bit of support we can give them

• Registered Users Posts: 19 1club1county

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Great comeback form the minors, showed great heart and belief in themselves to reel in Limerick's 7 point lead with about 8/10 minutes left.

Waterford never seemed to play to their full potential but showed glimpses of the class they possess. Hopefully this game will have brought them on a lot for the replay. Limerick hit a lot of wides in the second that could have had us buried. In saying that, Waterford missed a few very good goal chances including a penalty just before half time.

I thought the moving of Cormac Curran to full forward was the turning point for Waterford. He started catching balls and caused all sorts of trouble to the Limerick full back line, scoring the first goal to bring us back into the game. Patrick Curran looked very dangerous and almost scored an unbelievable goal with a first time pull without even controlling the ball, flew just wide but would have been some score. Hopefully his injury isnt serious but he seemed in a bit of bother leaving the field.

This game should bring Waterford on a lot and hopefully the team will be more settled coming into the replay. I'd expect to see Cormac Curran at full forward. Looking forward to the replay already, this team has shown huge potential and are capable of more again.
    That waw Cormac Curran who pulled first time for the wide. Great skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

any word on the u21 starting team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

any word on the u21 starting team?
    I'd love to know if Jamie Barron and Stephen Bennett are in contention. I think Barron is a bigger doubt than Bennett. Would they move Austin Gleeson to the backline to accomodate Jamie Barron? If he's injured the forward line would be something like..
    Dunford, Breathnach, Gleeson
    Bennett, Dillon, Donnelly

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

The team should be released to the press tonight.
    Expect it to be something along these lines
    Seanie Barry ( Lismore )
    Shane McNulty ( DLS )
    Kevin Daly ( Dungarvan )
    Shane Roche ( Shamrocks )
    Gavin O'Brien ( Roanmore )
    Ray Barry ( Lismore )
    Tadhg Burke ( Clashmore )
    Tom Devine ( Modeligo )
    Kieran Power ( Clonea )
    Jake Dillon ( DLS )
    Austin Gleeson ( Mt Sion )
    Cathal Curran ( Dungarvan )
    Ryan Donnelly ( Dungarvan )
    Stephen Bennett ( Ballysaggart )
    Colin Dunford ( Colligan )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Seanie Barry ( Lismore )
    Shane McNulty ( DLS )
    Kevin Daly ( Dungarvan )
    Ray Barry ( Lismore )
    Tom Devine ( Modeligo )
    Kieran Power ( Clonea )
    Jake Dillon ( DLS )
    if Donie Breathnach is fit, he's a much better option for puck outs than Curran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Seanie Barry ( Lismore )
    Shane McNulty ( DLS )
    Kevin Daly ( Dungarvan )
    Ray Barry ( Lismore )
    Tom Devine ( Modeligo )
    Kieran Power ( Clonea )
    Jake Dillon ( DLS )

Serious team that is and id imagine there are other serious hurlers who arent there either. will definately win the All Ireland Id say. Clare wont be as strong as last year and certainly not as strong as this team

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement