Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Serious team that is and id imagine there are other serious hurlers who arent there either. will definately win the All Ireland Id say. Clare wont be as strong as last year and certainly not as strong as this team

Cork will provide a serious test, if they can get the right kind of ball to Cadoghan he could doo enough damage to make this very close, he is unmarkable at senior when he has ball put in front of him is space, I would not be counting any chickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Deise_abu wrote: »
    Cork will provide a serious test, if they can get the right kind of ball to Cadoghan he could doo enough damage to make this very close, he is unmarkable at senior when he has ball put in front of him is space, I would not be counting any chickens

Last years performance by Cork would suggest otherwise with a team that had lehane, Cahalane, Joyce and all these players, cadogan would have been on that team too. they were beaten out the gate by a very good but not outstanding Tipperary team. This is an outstanding Waterford team. Cadogan is only 1 player at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

blueflame wrote: »
    I think it is unfair to compare teams from different years. Last year we had some outstanding individuals and players that grew as the tournament progressed. This year again some outstanding individuals and we will have to see how they develop.

At this stage last year our minors had lost to Tipp, hammered Clare, survived in Cork and lost a comfortable lead against Limerick. This year they outfought Clare in Ennis and then rode their look against them in Dungarvan, and came back from the dead against Limerick in a cauldron in Cork They have had less games than last year but you can see they have the same guts, determination and never say die attitude.

Will they beat Limerick in the replay, - I don't know.
    Will they win an All Ireland - I don't now

Will they give their all in search of both these titles, - i believe so and if they are to win either, luck will have to play a part as it does in any All Ireland winning side.

These are a really dedicated and talented bunch of lads willing to go to the end. They have big shoes to fill from last year, but boy did they show yesterday how determined they are to do that.

Big appeal to all supporters, get along to Thurles on Tuesday week. I know we have Walsh Park this Wednesday and Nolan Park on Saturday, but last year in Thurles we were vastly outnumbered by Limerick in the replay - lets not let that happen this year. Because of the senior pairing yesterday our lads had to battle both the Limerick team and the crowd yesterday, and they did so valiantly. They deserve every bit of support we can give them

Felt quite emotional reading that. What a privilege it has been following Waterford these last couple of decades, so much to get fired up about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Serious team that is and id imagine there are other serious hurlers who arent there either. will definately win the All Ireland Id say. Clare wont be as strong as last year and certainly not as strong as this team

They are 9/2 to win the All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    if Donie Breathnach is fit, he's a much better option for puck outs than Curran

DJ Foran is another option for the half forward line, great fielder and a good man to score when his confidence is in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

Anyone know when tickets go on sale for Waterford v Wexford match

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

DE DEISE wrote: »
    Anyone know when tickets go on sale for Waterford v Wexford match

On sale now €20 lady in shop says one stand already sold out don't no how true that is but that's what she said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

sjb25 wrote: »
    On sale now €20 lady in shop says one stand already sold out don't no how true that is but that's what she said

Not a chance

Not a chance

That's what I said she said ya ya I said ok I don't believe her by the way ha but there ya go

sjb25 wrote: »
    That's what I said she said ya ya I said ok I don't believe her by the way ha but there ya go

To be fair, tickets.ie only have city end tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

But it says on the previous page - all UNRESERVED. so I wonder if ya bought tickets on it would they let you in anywhere? normally just says UNRESERVED though if that's the case when you choose tickets and not a location like CITY END TERRACE. Hmmmm do I wait and risk not getting a ticket. I guess it will sell out?!

Mayb she was right I dunno if she was wow

watermark wrote: »
    But it says on the previous page - all UNRESERVED. so I wonder if ya bought tickets on it would they let you in anywhere? normally just says UNRESERVED though if that's the case when you choose tickets and not a location like CITY END TERRACE. Hmmmm do I wait and risk not getting a ticket. I guess it will sell out?!

Is it not like a 25,000 seater stadium? I didn't think there'd be that big a crowd but there was a fantastic attendance at Wexford park I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

bruschi wrote: »
    Just in relation to this, you've said numerous times that Clare finished the game with 13 men, they didn't, they finished with 15 men. Plus I dont get the argument of trying to run down Wexfords performance in beating the reigning AI champions by stating these things or saying that they were at home etc. Both teams started with the same conditions, and the end result was Wexford won. Over both games, CLare had 2 players dismissed for really stupid petulantly losing their composure, and the other one was sent off because he couldnt cope with his opponent beating him up a stick. They also played them down in Ennis and werent defeated. And when Clare had 13 men on the field, they didnt nearly win the game, they needed a very dodgy 65 to level things with the last puc of the 70 minutes.

I'd love it if the Waterford team take a 'Must win' attitude into the game. Talk about putting pressure on yourself? There is a difference between believing you can/should win and saying you must win. Instead of running down Wexford and talking of hypothetical situations, you would be better off trying to talk up your own side and where they can win it.

I didnt think we'd beat Clare, at all to be honest. But I do believe we can beat Waterford. The bookies have Waterford as slight favorites, which is correct, and I'd say the media will be split 50-50, and probably more will tip Wexford as they are fresher in the mind having had 2 epic games shown on TV. But reality is Waterford are still a level above us and if we are to win, it would be another great stepping stone on a long recovery.

Both sides will fancy their chances, and both sides will believe they can win. If it is anything like the atmosphere and craic in 03 it will be great!
    In the game proper(before extra time) Clare finished with 13 men. This was a huge advantage to Wexford as Clare players were drained going into extra time. Podge Collins and Shane O'Donnell were missing for Clare.Shane O'Donnell would have destroyed the Wexford backline. Wexford was at home.

Some Wexford players will be playing their fourth game in three weeks. Their legs will go in the second half of the game. Waterford will be much fresher. They will be playing at a neutral venue. Most of the injuries have cleared up.
    Its time to drop the excuses. Wexford must be beaten. Otherwise the season will have been an unmitigated disaster. That was the motto adopted in Cork for the Limerick game on Sunday. Wexford played a lot of rough and tumble hurling against Clare. Clare was clearly the more skilful team but could not overcome sendings off and the loss of Shane O'Donnell and Podge Collins.
    The skill levels of the Waterford players are in most cases higher.
    If Waterford players and management go into this game lacking in confidence Wexford will win. I make one forecast. If Wexford wins this game it will be hammered in the next game if the opposition is Tipperary.

culbaire wrote: »
    In the game proper(before extra time) Clare finished with 13 men. This was a huge advantage to Wexford as Clare players were drained going into extra time. Podge Collins and Shane O'Donnell were missing for Clare.Shane O'Donnell would have destroyed the Wexford backline. Wexford was at home.

Some Wexford players will be playing their fourth game in three weeks. Their legs will go in the second half of the game. Waterford will be much fresher They will be playing at a neutral venue. Most of the injuries have cleared up.
    Its time to drop the excuses. Wexford must be beaten. Otherwise the season will have been an unmitigated disaster. That was the motto adopted in Cork for the Limerick game on Sunday. Wexford played a lot of rough and tumble hurling against Clare. Clare was clearly the more skilful team but could not overcome sendings off and the loss of Shane O'Donnell and Podge Collins.
    The skill levels of the Waterford players are in most cases higher.
    If Waterford players and management go into this game lacking in confidence Wexford will win

Shane O Donnell is a decent young hurler, who was made look exceptional by a Cork defense at sea. He wouldn't start for Clare this year if fit in my opinion, and I think you'll find a lot of Clare fans would agree. One thing is for sure, he would have destroyed no one if he played last weekend or the week before. Podge also looked off colour in the 1 and a half games he played, though undoubtedly a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

Is it not like a 25,000 seater stadium? I didn't think there'd be that big a crowd but there was a fantastic attendance at Wexford park I suppose

yeah 24000 capacity with 17000 seating according to wikipedia

edit: wait isnt it all seating at the small end of the ground as well now?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

1. Seanie barry
    2. Kevin daly
    3. T de bourke
    4. Shane roche
    5. Shane mcnulty
    6. Ray barry
    7. Michael harney
    8. Colin dunford
    9. Gavin o brien
    10. Jake dillon
    11. Jamie barron
    12. Aussie gleeson
    13. Donie breathnach
    14. Ryan donnelly
    15. Mikey kearney

Subs
    16. Shane forristal
    19. Tom devine
    20. Kieran power
    21. Stephen bennet
    22. Jason roche
    23. Seamus keating
    24. Cathal curran
    25. Dj forn

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The team should be released to the press tonight.
    Expect it to be something along these lines
    Seanie Barry ( Lismore )
    Shane McNulty ( DLS )
    Kevin Daly ( Dungarvan )
    Shane Roche ( Shamrocks )
    Gavin O'Brien ( Roanmore )
    Ray Barry ( Lismore )
    Tadhg Burke ( Clashmore )
    Tom Devine ( Modeligo )
    Kieran Power ( Clonea )
    Jake Dillon ( DLS )
    Austin Gleeson ( Mt Sion )
    Cathal Curran ( Dungarvan )
    Ryan Donnelly ( Dungarvan )
    Stephen Bennett ( Ballysaggart )
    Colin Dunford ( Colligan )

u-21 Team named
    1. Barry
    2. Daly
    3. De Burca
    4. Roche
    5. McNulty
    6. Barry
    7. Harney
    8. Dunford
    9. G O Brien
    10. Dillon
    11. Barron
    12. Gleeson
    13. Breathnach
    14. Donnelly
    15. Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Shane O Donnell is a decent young hurler, who was made look exceptional by a Cork defense at sea. He wouldn't start for Clare this year if fit in my opinion, and I think you'll find a lot of Clare fans would agree. One thing is for sure, he would have destroyed no one if he played last weekend or the week before. Podge also looked off colour in the 1 and a half games he played, though undoubtedly a loss.
    There is nobody going to persuade me that this is a great Wexford team. It is fit, enthusiastic and physical. One or two of its players were lucky to escape a few yellow cards. However a lot of Wexford players skills are not on a par with those of Kilkenny or Tipperary or even Cork. Exhaustion will get them in the second half. The only thing that will save them is, if Waterford flop. Don't agree re Shane O'Donnell. He has great speed, skill and vision.

KevIRL wrote: »
    u-21 Team named
    1. Barry
    2. Daly
    3. De Burca
    4. Roche
    5. McNulty
    6. Barry
    7. Harney
    8. Dunford
    9. G O Brien
    10. Dillon
    11. Barron
    12. Gleeson
    13. Breathnach
    14. Donnelly
    15. Kearney

Really like that team. Only thing I would like to see is Kieran Power in the team, thought he was very good last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

IanVW wrote: »
    1. Seanie barry
    2. Kevin daly
    3. T de bourke
    4. Shane roche
    5. Shane mcnulty
    6. Ray barry
    7. Michael harney
    8. Colin dunford
    9. Gavin o brien
    10. Jake dillon
    11. Jamie barron
    12. Aussie gleeson
    13. Donie breathnach
    14. Ryan donnelly
    15. Mikey kearney

Subs
    16. Shane forristal
    19. Tom devine
    20. Kieran power
    21. Stephen bennet
    22. Jason roche
    23. Seamus keating
    24. Cathal curran
    25. Dj forn
    Very surprised with Kieran Power, I thought he would push on after last year and be challenging for the Senior team this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Theres only.one terrace nowadays at the city end.. macdonagh junction is behind it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

And they had both stands on it at around 8pm...

More tickets better be coming available..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Annie Oakes

KevIRL wrote: »
    u-21 Team named
    1. Barry
    2. Daly
    3. De Burca
    4. Roche
    5. McNulty
    6. Barry
    7. Harney
    8. Dunford
    9. G O Brien
    10. Dillon
    11. Barron
    12. Gleeson
    13. Breathnach
    14. Donnelly
    15. Kearney

no Stephen Bennett?? Also to those of you questioning kieran powers exclusion, if any of ye seen the waterford intermediates lose to cork then u would no longer be questioning his exclusion

dzilla wrote: »
    Theres only.one terrace nowadays at the city end.. macdonagh junction is behind it.

I take it back shouldn't of laught at the woman

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

no Stephen Bennett?? Also to those of you questioning kieran powers exclusion, if any of ye seen the waterford intermediates lose to cork then u would no longer be questioning his exclusion

I take it if Bennett is named on the bench he might see action at some stage? Strong panel but they need to be on song because apparently they haven't been going well in training or challenge games. Hopefully it comes right wens night.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 deisedoz

cul beag wrote: »
    I take it if Bennett is named on the bench he might see action at some stage? Strong panel but they need to be on song because apparently they haven't been going well in training or challenge games. Hopefully it comes right wens night.

Open to correction but since we started using the intermediate as an under 21 platform 4-5 years ago we have been beaten in both codes on every occasion? Intermediates were appalling first day out v Cork and that doesn't fill me with confidence but hoping to be proved wrong as it's a very strong panel.

deisedoz wrote: »
    Open to correction but since we started using the intermediate as an under 21 platform 4-5 years ago we have been beaten in both codes on every occasion? Intermediates were appalling first day out v Cork and that doesn't fill me with confidence but hoping to be proved wrong as it's a very strong panel.

They were far worse last year and we very nearly beat Clare.

culbaire wrote: »
    There is nobody going to persuade me that this is a great Wexford team. It is fit, enthusiastic and physical. One or two of its players were lucky to escape a few yellow cards. However a lot of Wexford players skills are not on a par with those of Kilkenny or Tipperary or even Cork. Exhaustion will get them in the second half. The only thing that will save them is, if Waterford flop. Don't agree re Shane O'Donnell. He has great speed, skill and vision.

Your talking nonsense, yes we should have nothing to fear,(even though we haven't been setting the world on fire ourselves), but in any game the moment you underestimate your opposition you are in trouble, Wexford have plenty of fine hurlers and are every bit as skilful as any of the top counties, have been doing well enough at minor and un 21 this last few years, they wont lack belief this Saturday and little belief goes a long way.

• Advertisement

IanVW wrote: »
    1. Seanie barry
    2. Kevin daly
    3. T de bourke
    4. Shane roche
    5. Shane mcnulty
    6. Ray barry
    7. Michael harney
    8. Colin dunford
    9. Gavin o brien
    10. Jake dillon
    11. Jamie barron
    12. Aussie gleeson
    13. Donie breathnach
    14. Ryan donnelly
    15. Mikey kearney

Subs
    16. Shane forristal
    19. Tom devine
    20. Kieran power
    21. Stephen bennet
    22. Jason roche
    23. Seamus keating
    24. Cathal curran
    25. Dj forn

Not a bad looking team, and a strong sub bench, would hope for some positional changes, Dillon to forward line and Breathnach to half forward for starters

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement