Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Polster wrote: »
    Rarely see two teams in any sport both marked up as evens in a two horse race, but that is what the majority of bookies have Waterford Wexford at. I rarely do it, but as I think it will be very close and the GAA fondness for a replay, I have gone on the Draw at 10-1.

The good thing is both these sides look to have some very promising underage players coming through, and Wexford in particular have made huge strides with their underage setup over the last 5 years, starting to see the results of that now.

I would have said the opposite and would say Waterford have made huge strides over the last 5 years in the underage set up. Wexford haven’t won a leinster minor title since 1985 but they have picked up 2 U21 lenister titles this year and last year when the standard at that level in leinster has been very poor. Kilkenny don’t have a single u21 player on the senior county team while Dublin with the loss of the dual players to football should have been knocked out by Westmeath this year and were dumped out by Laois the year before. Other than the 2 easy U21 lenister titles Wexford have won I don’t see where the strides at underage are been made in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

I would have said the opposite and would say Waterford have made huge strides over the last 5 years in the underage set up. Wexford haven’t won a leinster minor title since 1985 but they have picked up 2 U21 lenister titles this year and last year when the standard at that level in leinster has been very poor. Kilkenny don’t have a single u21 player on the senior county team while Dublin with the loss of the dual players to football should have been knocked out by Westmeath this year and were dumped out by Laois the year before. Other than the 2 easy U21 lenister titles Wexford have won I don’t see where the strides at underage are been made in the county.

To be fair to Wexford, what they are doing is producing a higher standard of player through their underage system. Take their forwards for example. Players like Morris, McDonald, McGovern, Guiney have bucket loads of ability and would all be in or around any senior team at the moment.

Liam Ryan at 18 looks like a star in the making in the backs too. Redmond, O'Keefe and Chin are also super players to come out of their underage system in recent years. I'd give them every chance of become a serious team to be reckoned with in the next few years.

That's progress for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Cork haven't exactly been shooting the lights out at underage for a while yet they're hotly tipped for the AI this year. However, they've done it, Wexford've managed to cobble together a team that has every chance of doing a number on Waterford at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Has the standard in Leinster been poor? The Dublin Minors cleaned our clock in 2011 - the nine-point gap flattered us in the end - and I'd imagine a large proportion of that team would have been part of their Under-21 team beaten by Wexford this year

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

Plenty of typical Munster attitudes towards Leinster hurling in here. Leinster u21's very poor, bar the obvious progression of Dublin and Wexford, Kilkenny are still not 'very poor'. Wexford cobbling together a team? Ignorance is bliss I guess.

I think there is a lot more respect and open mindness with the view from Leinster regarding Munster hurling, we freely awknowledge the overall competitiveness of it, the strengths each side has and the progress made by certain counties. The other way seems to be a lot of, Leinster Hurling, one team, nothing coming through, disaster not to beat Wexford etc etc. I really hope the seniors come out with the same attitude on Saturday and they will be in for a surprise. I am no way saying we are a level above Waterford, I think the bookies have it right, to tight to call and will probably only be a puck of the ball in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 larry_o

citykat wrote: »
    However, they've done it, Wexford've managed to cobble together a team that has every chance of doing a number on Waterford at the weekend.

Bet kk minor and u21 last year, beat kk u21 comprehensively this year.. that's one facet of how we managed to cobble together a team that could do a number on Waterford this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Lads plenty of other forums discuss the Munster v Leinster hurling debate. To all the outsiders here ye are all welcome but this is the only Waterford forum can we keep to the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

larry_o wrote: »
    Bet kk minor and u21 last year, beat kk u21 comprehensively this year.. that's one facet of how we managed to cobble together a team that could do a number on Waterford this year.

I'd never read too much into what minor and u21 teams do when assessing the senior team, Limerick and Galway have had alot of success underage without doing anything consistently in senior or winning an All Ireland.

The likes of the Brick and Rory Jacob havent been minor or u21 in a long time now either, but they're serious players! I think it's asking alot of some very talented u21s to backbone and lead that Wexford team, they retreated against Clare when they were playing 13 players and could have been caught in the end. A few more experiences campaigners in therwe with them wouldn't go astray, but they could be okay on their own yet. We'll wait and see, it didn't stop Clare last year (I think not having to play Kilkenny or Tipp on the way to the final was their saving grace having said that).

Wexford have serious potential though, the two games against Clare will definitely stand to them. If Waterford send out our strongest available team and don't go overboard with the tactics we should have the winning of the game, but it's a lottery what Waterford team will show up on the day and how we'll line out. The bookies have it about right I think, hopefully its a cracker of a match and may the best team win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

deiseach wrote: »
    Has the standard in Leinster been poor? The Dublin Minors cleaned our clock in 2011 - the nine-point gap flattered us in the end - and I'd imagine a large proportion of that team would have been part of their Under-21 team beaten by Wexford this year

Between Costello, Kilkenny and I Conghaile they had their 3 best forwards who scored 5 goals between them that day. None played for Dublins 21s this year. Nit trying to undermine Wexford, just saying that comparison wouldn't be strictly relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Polster wrote: »
    Plenty of typical Munster attitudes towards Leinster hurling in here. Leinster u21's very poor, bar the obvious progression of Dublin and Wexford, Kilkenny are still not 'very poor'. Wexford cobbling together a team? Ignorance is bliss I guess.

I think there is a lot more respect and open mindness with the view from Leinster regarding Munster hurling, we freely awknowledge the overall competitiveness of it, the strengths each side has and the progress made by certain counties. The other way seems to be a lot of, Leinster Hurling, one team, nothing coming through, disaster not to beat Wexford etc etc. I really hope the seniors come out with the same attitude on Saturday and they will be in for a surprise. I am no way saying we are a level above Waterford, I think the bookies have it right, to tight to call and will probably only be a puck of the ball in it.

Its plain to see that Wexford are put in the work where it counts at underage level, they are producing a lot of excellent players now and its great to see some many hurling counties on the way back, they are a match for anyone now.
    Senior intercounty is going to become even more cut-throat over the next few years (it already is) with more and more big teams getting dumped ut early because I can see the great work being done by the hurling counties paying off and leveling the playing field.
    Every county is putting in the work now, it is great to see and we are on the verge if a for a golden age of hurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

larry_o wrote: »

Come back to me when you win one that counts...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

i think this has gone off in a tangent not interested in debate but to create the attitude that Waterford will understimate Wexford, How can we as a county of infinate nearly's , on days when we had ganes won, ever be disparaging to a county with a similer and better pedigree than our own interms of ultimate success.
    However i think if we are to go on whom have liked to be picked to play, we would not have refused wexford, as i think they are in the middle of a serious development which is not backed up with the underage success that is needed to round out a panel, i think there will be nothing in it, but i would expect waterford , who will be fresher, have darragh fives back, and a few other injuries cleared up to win by 2 points, but if we were to be beaten, i would be overjoyed if wexford could replicate that victory with a win over limerick of which they are also quite eqipped to do.
    Looking forward to tonight anyone know of any last minute injuries, or changes, as i don't think that team will line out as stated, and i have never in all my years seen a bench where at least 4 of the panel , will probably play senior hurling within 2/3 years, or definatly sooner, hopefully we will be up for it, need a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 larry_o

citykat wrote: »
    Come back to me when you win one that counts...;)

they all count ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

deiseach wrote: »

All of the stars of that Dublin team are off playing football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Kilkenny had a very poor team but there were shining lights on the team. Richie Reid is actually on the training panel. Kevin Kelly is a huge talent too he will be on it next year and would have been the best player on that Kilkenny team and missed the Wex game through injury. Our Full Back and Captain is another who should make the step up, he held Conor McDonald very well that night plus to say Wexford had 2 easy Leinster Titles isnt fair. This year maybe but last year they beat a good Kilkenny team narrowly in the Leinster Final who actually won the Minor All Ireland 3 years earlier in 2010. I loathe your ignorance towards Leinster Hurling, the Leinster U21 Championship was very competitive last year, Kilkenny pushed all the way by Offaly, Carlow beating a very good Dublin team who had the footballers like Ciaran KKilkenny and those lads playing, Wexford pushed all the way by Carlow against in the Semi and then the fantastic Leinster Final which WExford won after extra time. Also Westmeath had a very good team this year. Your some hurling fan alright knocking everyone who puts in an effort. Westmeath should have beaten Dublin because they were good enough to beat them not that Dublin had a bad team, very unfair knocking a team just because of their name when you know absolutely nothing about it. Theres some great work going on in the weaker counties like Westmeath and Laois too who are coming on big time, gave the KK minors quite a game in the Leinster Semi Final

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I loathe your ignorance towards Leinster Hurling, the Leinster U21 Championship was very competitive last year, Kilkenny pushed all the way by Offaly,

Your getting carried away with yourself. If lenister U21 was so strong last year why did Antrim beat the leinster champions and we know they weren’t great by their performance against Clare in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

Your getting carried away with yourself. If lenister U21 was so strong last year why did Antrim beat the leinster champions and we know they weren’t great by their performance against Clare in the final.

That was one of those games where unfortunately we just didn't turn up. We were 1/50 on in the bookies, Antrim at about 12's, which was also unfair. I actually took Antrim on the spread still fully expecting we'd win comfortably. Some games you can't get a real fair assessment of a team and are better just written off. Every team has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Lovely evening for it although stiff enough breeze it must be said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Sure dont mind that, that was a freak result, Wexford came into the game with the wrong attitude completely, they thought all they had to do was turn up and got caught out. Sure werent Waterford beaten by Kerry in Walsh Park in 93, does that mean Kerry were a better team. Kilkenny minors were hammered by Dublin earlier on in the year. Freak results do happen. Id guarantee Kilkenny would have hammered Antrim last year too if we'd beaten Wexford in the Leinster Final

• Advertisement

Waterford with the wind in first half

2 good saves by cork keeper already

9 pts to 8 to waterford 21 mins

11pts to 10 at ht..waterford ahead. Have to feel we should be further ahead. 3 good saves by cork keeper

Cadogan goal

Red card for Murphy cork. They ahead by 5

Awful goal to concede

3rd cork goal. Sin e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

What the actual f*ck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 deisedoz

This result raises very serious questions as to what we are doing at this level, disgraceful stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement