Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Cake Man wrote: »
    Are WLR doing the minor match live?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Who do lads want to replace McGrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

cul beag wrote: »
    Just wondering what are McGrath's selectors roles within the setup? If,as was stated at the start of the year they were to bring certain experience and expertise to the table why on earth was jim Greene needed? What,if anything does he offer the management team? Will the selection panel be shaken up next year? Will he bring some fresh blood in to freshen it up?
    I can't see big Dan leaving as he loves the limelight too much but I wonder where do Flannery and Maher fit in? Obviously they're not too happy with having their names attached to the mess that unfolded this season.
    I can't wait to read the local paper tomorrow to see what their hurling experts take on the game was and how they rate the season as a whole. Normally its cutting when it has to be but seeing as Mr. Greene's name is involved will we see an easing off on the pen!!!

McGrath will have a hard job convincing anyone to come on board next year as selectors, unless he changes these stupid tactics. Added to that the team is going to struggle to raise funds like they did this year, mainly due to the public anger with the present set up. A good quality hurling coach is needed. Watching our warm ups all year, there is definetly an over reliance on hand passing drills. No wonder the players first touch was so poor all year. A coach similar to Justin McCarthy is what we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Orizio wrote: »
    Who do lads want to replace McGrath.

No point wasting time talking about something that isn't going to happen.

How about bringing someone along the lines of Martin fogarty into the setup. He was coaching westmeath for a while this year I'm sure he'd consider coming on board. We need someone with that type of experience in the backroom team if were not changing the manager. Makes more sense than having Jim Greene as managerial advisor

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Bottom Line the type of forwards we have are not good enough for the top Level.

Sure our tactics certainly didn't help this year but even with good tactics and 15 on 15 do you think we could beat Tipperary or Kilkenny in an All Ireland?

If you look at the Richie power for example, strong athletic type of player.
    Compare that to some of our small forwards. You don't necessarily need 6 6 foot 3 guys up there but you do need some.

I think we missed Maurice aswell, hopefully he'll be back next year.

Anyway, I'll be back next year hoping we'll have another crack, I do hope we see improved tactics, lets hope the minors can do the double.

Up the deise from down Under :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

how much oil would a gumboil boil if a gumboil could boil oil?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Lose tomorrow in the minor final and I think it will be curtains to our season. We would have a 5 day turnaround and wud be playing Dublin in Croke park ( if the rumours are true that the quarters are being moved there). This is just my opinion don't jump down my throat lol

PTH, dont know if you know the winnie the pooh characters, but every time I see one of your posts you remind me of this guy

eeyore-1.gif

always down in the dumps and imagining the worst case scenario.

Best of luck to your minors tonight. I hope we dont see them in Thurles on Sunday, but if we do, I'll be shouting them on anyway. We were robbed by Dublin in the Leinster semi, so would like to see ye do well if you do play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

robopaddy wrote: »
    No point wasting time talking about something that isn't going to happen.

How about bringing someone along the lines of Martin fogarty into the setup. He was coaching westmeath for a while this year I'm sure he'd consider coming on board. We need someone with that type of experience in the backroom team if were not changing the manager. Makes more sense than having Jim Greene as managerial advisor

I'd doubt Fogarty would take it on. He has his eye on the KK job IMO. If he took on WD he'd have to commit for at least a couple of years. Cody could be gone in that time. Plus if he was over a WD that beat KK, that wouldn't go down too well up here. He took on WH as they're never going to beat KK.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Bottom Line the type of forwards we have are not good enough for the top Level.

Sure our tactics certainly didn't help this year but even with good tactics and 15 on 15 do you think we could beat Tipperary or Kilkenny in an All Ireland?

If you look at the Richie power for example, strong athletic type of player.
    Compare that to some of our small forwards. You don't necessarily need 6 6 foot 3 guys up there but you do need some.

I think we missed Maurice aswell, hopefully he'll be back next year.

Anyway, I'll be back next year hoping we'll have another crack, I do hope we see improved tactics, lets hope the minors can do the double.

Up the deise from down Under :)
    think same could be said for midfield and backs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

citykat wrote: »
    I'd doubt Fogarty would take it on. He has his eye on the KK job IMO. If he took on WD he'd have to commit for at least a couple of years. Cody could be gone in that time. Plus if he was over a WD that beat KK, that wouldn't go down too well up here. He took on WH as they're never going to beat KK.

That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. Why wouldn't go down too well up there exactly?

I don't remember Davy Fitz getting killed when he was Waterford manager and they beating Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Some interesting so called reporting on the matches in the News and Star.

I had heard that the main reporter was called aside earlier in the year as he was being too critical of McGrath. Obviously this is the case, or maybe it's because his clubmate is now an "advisor".

The under 21s are absolutely slated and rightly so but the seniors s*ite performance is glossed over.

Fair play to Paul Flynn for calling it as it was in the same paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not a bad Waterford support in Thurles tonight.

Wat 0-13- lim 0-11 half time

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Level 9 times in the first half. Great game by the sounds of it on the radio. They seem to be playing good direct hurling and the positional changes seem to be working so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

0-20 to 0-18 to Limerick with 10 minutes left.

Limerick on top now. Lads gave it everything but are not good enough,

It will be hard to pick ourselves up for the Dublin game Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Limerick definitely the better side tonight. Morrissey some detail for them. Tops off a tough week for us. Big ask for these fellas to get back up mentally for Dublin on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Limerick on top now. Lads gave it everything but are not good enough,

It will be hard to pick ourselves up for the Dublin game Sunday

sher **** it will we just give them the walkover?

the most negative man on this msg board you are pal.

sher **** it will we just give them the walkover?

the most negative man on this msg board you are pal.
    at least he is not dilussional

systemic failure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Christ, we can't catch a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Heartbreaking week but that was a great game and we were the better team for about 40 mins until Limerick completely took over. They had some great lads midfield and centre back and their forwards couldn't hit a wide.

Though Curran was good considering he was well marked. Shane Ryan had a great first half. Colm Roche showed his class at times but we got cleaned in the last 20 ministes on breaks and particularly in the air. I wouldn't have had Conor Gleesom down as a centre back but he held the centre brilliantly, stoppeda certain goal just before half time with a super tackle and on the ball hes class.

Darragh Lyons showed well at times too and would say it was a good performance just Limerick had too much. Gutted though.

by the way, if anyone is on the train to Dublin with a spare fork on them give me a shout...not a fork to be had between my take away and the catering service on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 deisedoz

Better team won tonight despite a great Waterford effort. Cleaned out in midfield and half forward line in last 20 mins. That Limerick team will take some beating and hats off to them, some exceptional points scored in.what was a great game.

Concerned about Patrick Curran's fitness, was holding his back whole way through the game. Moving Eddie Hayden to full back worked well but David Prendergast had a tough night and lucky not to see red.

Hopefully lads will be up and ready to go Sunday, tickets secured anyway!

STIG83 wrote: »
    That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. Why wouldn't go down too well up there exactly?

I don't remember Davy Fitz getting killed when he was Waterford manager and they beating Clare.

It wouldnt go down too well in Kilkenny simple because of the rivalry, kilkenny hate losing to waterford and to have a kk man in charge would not go down well at all. Sure I remember a comment on here a few months ago the fact that a kk man captained WIT to the Fitzgibbon Cup, some people didnt like that either. Im sure most of yas know what im on about with relation to the rivalry both sides of the bridge and I think thats what citykat was trying to say. Theres a bit of niggle that goes on a lot of the time between both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    It wouldnt go down too well in Kilkenny simple because of the rivalry, kilkenny hate losing to waterford and to have a kk man in charge would not go down well at all. Sure I remember a comment on here a few months ago the fact that a kk man captained WIT to the Fitzgibbon Cup, some people didnt like that either. Im sure most of yas know what im on about with relation to the rivalry both sides of the bridge and I think thats what citykat was trying to say. Theres a bit of niggle that goes on a lot of the time between both sides.

I could be wrong....but didn't a Kilkenny man manage Waterford to one of its most infamous results of the last 30 years.....Kerry-1993

I could be wrong....but didn't a Kilkenny man manage Waterford to one of its most infamous results of the last 30 years.....Kerry-1993

to be honest I couldnt give you an answer to that question because I have no idea whether you are right or wrong with that question. Someone else on here surely could answer that

pmy.murphy wrote: »

The kk Waterford rivalry exists mainly in Waterford city and maybe a bit up around portlaw where piltown is only across the bridge. Move up west and cork is the main rivals all over then you have the tipp border areas like Carrick and clonmel where people would rather see anyone else win but tipp . Once you move outside the city area people are not too bothered about kk so don't be generalizing everyone.

If I'm not mistaken fogarty is from up north Kilkenny I really can't see his head on a plate if he was to get involved with Waterford. Usually your posts are quite reasonable but that's just nonsense talk out of you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I thought it was peter power?

JeffKenna wrote: »

George Leahy. So succcessful was 93 he got ratified for another couple years in charge after it. Leopard + spots etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

JeffKenna wrote: »

after much googling...as you can tell im very busy:cool:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/deise-bids-farewell-to-loyal-servant-mansfield-225148.html

A few years after the U21 triumph, he again took charge following the sensational defeat by Kerry in Walsh Park in the 1993 championship (when Kilkenny stalwart George Leahy was manager).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement