Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

cul beag wrote: »
    Blaming the referee by Derek Lyons saying we were rode in an excuse really. On the face of it we were outplayed in the middle third for most of the second half. Would agree with horseboxhead about Shane Bennett he offered no cover whatsoever to Gleeson at centre back. That's a serious limerick team and we were still well in the game with 15 mins to go so all in far from lost. Would Cormac Curran benefit from some personal work on ladder racks to work on his feet? His speed of hurling seems slow at times but my god he has some ability if a few little things were sorted with him. Potentially he can have a hugh senior career but I think some ball alley work on an individual basis would help him enormously. We're crying out for men like him at u21 and senior level and as I said if a few little things were sorted out with him he could be a colossus for us as a centre forward or full forward.
    No doubt Patrick Curran is pure class and you can see he's not fully fit. You can see from this team we'll get 4-5 potential senior players for the future. Our problem at the moment is these fellas with be strangled with tactics,like all the good youngsters since 09 that have come through and they're natural tendencies that got them to this stage of their hurling careers will be sacrificed for the good of the negative systems we employ at the moment.
    This is the problem, I think Cormac Curran has a great career ahead of him, We are seriously lacking in ball winners, him and DJ Foran could be great additions for the senior team in 2 years time. That being said, from minor to u21 is crucial for the development of players, there are many that have the ability at minor and don't make the transition to u21.....I really think we need someone to work with these players from the 2012 minor team and 2013....potentially we could get at least 6 or 7 brought onto the senior team after Gleeson and Bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Speaking of KK men hating losing to Waterford. Have a look at the reaction to particular KK man at the final whistle of the defeat to Wexford at the 20 second mark. The fcuker never smiled as much at KK All Ireland wins.The cat has been well and truly let out of the bag, so to speak.

Bit of a small minded view I think. Id imagine he was smiling at the reaction of the Wexford fans at the final whistle which was wild. Wexford are the bandwagon of the Championship afterall like Clare were last year. Im sure theres a lot of neutrals who have gained a fondness for them too(Not saying Brian Cody in particular is who Id feel as a hurling man just went to see a great game) as they have been serious underdogs in this particular championship, i know they werent against Waterford but with the success Waterford have had over the last 12 years, they are very much an established team most of ye might not agree with that I know but in comparison to wexford who have been in a dark place these last 10 years. Thats the nature of sport I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    That being said, from minor to u21 is crucial for the development of players, there are many that have the ability at minor and don't make the transition to u21.....I really think we need someone to work with these players from the 2012 minor team and 2013....potentially we could get at least 6 or 7 brought onto the senior team after Gleeson and Bennett

If the county board are considering someone to manage the U21 next year, should the person have some experience from been involved with the development squads in the county or would an ex player or something like that be able to get the best out of what is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I'm sure Cody was smiling at the possibilities of coming up against the in laws in a semi final and nothing else!

I think Waterford have a great chance against Dublin this Sunday and setting up a repeat of last years semi final against KK.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

Just a reflection of minor match last night I taught we hurled very for 40 mins as most of you have been saying we worked some lovely short puck outs and good passes playing ourself out of trouble,, we have a few splendid hurlers in this team that have real quality , I think we started to tire a bit then and limericks half back line dominated and it seemed we couldn't get a break it looked like when limericks midfielders and Half backs got the ball they seemed to have time to pick out lads and when they did that there very classie forwards started to trive on it wit Nash casey and morrisey driving on for them but I think we can beat Dublin Sunday and have a crack who ever the lads will meet in semi final... But I taught wen limerick started getting on top we started driving balls from puck outs etc. instead off playing it out as we previous did,, I think we should name an unchanged team and see what these lads are worth(made of steel IMO) against Dublin to give them a chance to rectify themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I'm sure Cody was smiling at the possibilities of coming up against the in laws in a semi final and nothing else!

I think Waterford have a great chance against Dublin this Sunday and setting up a repeat of last years semi final against KK.

You beat me to it, Cody is married to a Wexican so he was prob having a bit of craic for himself. I doubt he lies awake at night plotting how to exterminate Waterford hurling somehow, although he did a fair job of that in 08. Dont mention the war...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

You are really getting your panties in a twist over nothing if it offends you that Cody smiles after a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Slobbery wrote: »
    Peter Power was on the managment team in 1995 when Tipp hammered us out the gate in Cork,

It was the game the Queally got caught on Camera for his part in a schemozzle and was prevented from passing out with the guards a few weeks later

passing out with the guards ?

deisedude wrote: »
    You are really getting your panties in a twist over nothing if it offends you that Cody smiles after a game!

We haven't beaten them in championship since '59 ,i doubt he cares about us tbh, do you think he really should ?

I was smiling as well, it's great to see wexford do well, an honest hurling county with a fair and deserved win,why wouldnt you be happy for them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

passing out with the guards ?

See attached pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

We haven't beaten them in championship since '59 ,i doubt he cares about us tbh, do you think he really should ?

I was smiling as well, it's great to see wexford do well, an honest hurling county with a fair and deserved win,why wouldnt you be happy for them ?

Well I must have missed you last Saturday, I didn't see anybody in a Waterford shirt smiling at the final whistle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Your man that threw that video up is from Cork anyway so can't understand him getting offended

Slobbery wrote: »
    See attached pic

passing out = to lose consciousness

graduating = graduating

http://gifstumblr.com/images/me-fail-english-thats-unpossible_605.gifme-fail-english-thats-unpossible_605.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

graduating = graduating

http://gifstumblr.com/images/me-fail-english-thats-unpossible_605.gifme-fail-english-thats-unpossible_605.gif

Not always, it is used in police and other areas as a term to signify graduation. Generally applies where trainees live 'in house' and are said to pass out at the end

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_out

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Speaking of KK men hating losing to Waterford. Have a look at the reaction to particular KK man at the final whistle of the defeat to Wexford at the 20 second mark. The fcuker never smiled as much at KK All Ireland wins.The cat has been well and truly let out of the bag, so to speak.

ah will ya fcuk off ,he has enjoyed the moment and probably happy for the men from his own province ,he is probably one of the greatest men ever to grace the game ,When the word Legend is dished out to many people that fail in the game ,,,one man above all else deserves this accolade and that is Brian Cody,,,,far from a fcuker that you called him ,,,show some respect ,typical sad loser/supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

dilinja1 wrote: »

ahh jesus lads of course Kilkenny do not like losing to Waterford - it is whats called a rivalry. Just like we would love to beat them in the championship and also hate to lose to them. Anyway Kilkenny have nothing to do with our current predicament!

One thing from our three defeats the past week is how we have faded in the second half - particularly in the last 15-20 minutes. Wexford were all over us in the senior game in the last quarter and considering they were playing their third game in 14 days is a damning indictment of the seniors fitness levels. Was not at the game last night but going by the reports on here we tired in the last quarter. U-21s last week were a no show against Cork even with the opposition reduced to 14 men. Who is leading the fitness training in all grades? Why is Gerry Fitz now in the Wexford camp?
    when most teams lose now its put down to fitness ,but in fact the opposite is true,its usually down to bad preparation ,hurling ability, team selection ,management or lack of it ,we had enough chances to get scores to win the match but fitness i believe is not won of them ,,unless of course you are one of the management team,then you are not fit to be anywhere near a county setup

KevIRL wrote: »
    Not always, it is used in police and other areas as a term to signify graduation. Generally applies where trainees live 'in house' and are said to pass out at the end

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_out

I stand corrected ,on slobbery's confusing but correct use of english , who came up with that one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

graduating = graduating

Ha ha

It's a common phrase with respect to guard/ army graduation.

Maybe you should spend a bit more time with the dictionary

2. (Military) (intr) Brit (esp of an officer cadet) to qualify for a military commission; complete a course of training satisfactorily:

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

If the county board are considering someone to manage the U21 next year, should the person have some experience from been involved with the development squads in the county or would an ex player or something like that be able to get the best out of what is available.

Why not get John Mullane involved he's currently involved with DLS minors for the 2nd yr in a row. Get himself and Someone like Big Dan involved with last years minor manager Sean power who came thru the development route it would be a major positive for the players havin lads with their experience involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

ah will ya fcuk off ,he has enjoyed the moment and probably happy for the men from his own province ,he is probably one of the greatest men ever to grace the game ,When the word Legend is dished out to many people that fail in the game ,,,one man above all else deserves this accolade and that is Brian Cody,,,,far from a fcuker that you called him ,,,show some respect ,typical sad loser/supporter

Lads I think yell find willietherock was just havin a bit of banter puttin that up so put yere knickers back on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Jesus, this really is plumbing the depths and a new low even for this site.

For God's sake Brian Cody was enjoying the occasion as a neutral, and what neutral wouldn't be delighted for Wexford. God almighty they have been down too long.

Brian Cody doesn't need to explain himself to anyone. He has given of his time free of charge on numerous occasions to present medals and carry out coaching sessions in Waterford.

I do really wonder at some of the so called Waterford supporters on here.

We are all hurling people and to try to belittle Brian Cody in that manner out of sheer begrudgery that we were beaten by a better team on the night is just embarrassing.

We would be better served by firstly getting our rag bag management camp in order.

Why not get John Mullane involved he's currently involved with DLS minors for the 2nd yr in a row. Get himself and Someone like Big Dan involved with last years minor manager Sean power who came thru the development route it would be a major positive for the players havin lads with their experience involved

The only chap from Waterford who has managed underage in the past few years with no agenda, club or family is Liam O'Connor.

Just ask any young lad who has played under him. He is straight as a die and at least players know where they stand with him. Any lad that ever played under chuck would put his body on the line for him. Any lad that has played under Chuck, I can guarantee you he keeps in contact with.

Derek McGrath could learn a bit from him and maybe think of borrowing his balls and indeed his expertise.

At least lads wouldn't be getting mixed messages and it might go some way towards restoring a little bit of spirit to players and maybe they might to start to pull together again.

But then again Chuck is a stand up guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    The only chap from Waterford who has managed underage in the past few years with no agenda, club or family is Liam O'Connor.

Just ask any young lad who has played under him. He is straight as a die and at least players know where they stand with him. Any lad that ever played under chuck would put his body on the line for him. Any lad that has played under Chuck, I can guarantee you he keeps in contact with.

Derek McGrath could learn a bit from him and maybe think of borrowing his balls and indeed his expertise.

At least lads wouldn't be getting mixed messages and it might go some way towards restoring a little bit of spirit to players and maybe they might to start to pull together again.

I believe he looked for and was given the nod from Tom Cunningham to get the under 21 for this year but Tom forgot to put his name forward when the time came , another golden moment for the county Board

Know one lad who told me he had a certain dislike for one particular player on that team in 2011, and so didn't give him the opportunities on the field that he deserved through his performances.

One incident I know, and I guess maybe his record with Waterford isn't as questionable in light of the hammering the 21s got the other day, but to be honest I wasn't totally convinced, nice as he maybe.

Know one lad who told me he had a certain dislike for one particular player on that team in 2011, and so didn't give him the opportunities on the field that he deserved through his performances.

One incident I know, and I guess maybe his record with Waterford isn't as questionable in light of the hammering the 21s got the other day, but to be honest I wasn't totally convinced, nice as he maybe.

He was over that Waterford minor team that suffered the awful mauling from Dublin in an AI semi in 2011. They ran straight though us as if we werent there we were found badly wanting on the line that day. The game was over after 20 mins. I know players can freeze on the day aswell but that was a good waterford minor team, and Dublin were poor enough in the final after, well beaten by Galway.

robopaddy wrote: »
    He was over that Waterford minor team that suffered the awful mauling from Dublin in an AI semi in 2011. They ran straight though us as if we werent there we were found badly wanting on the line that day. The game was over after 20 mins. I know players can freeze on the day aswell but that was a good waterford minor team, and Dublin were poor enough in the final after, well beaten by Galway.

I know what you mean. Hard to know really, they were well bet by Clare despite the scoreline too. And took extra time to beat Limerick despite a Bennett hat trick. The under 21 team didn't perform either. Maybe not as good as we thought.

But yeah wasn't overly impressed with that game I must say, was some mauling.

I know what you mean. Hard to know really, they were well bet by Clare despite the scoreline too. And took extra time to beat Limerick despite a Bennett hat trick. The under 21 team didn't perform either. Maybe not as good as we thought.

But yeah wasn't overly impressed with that game I must say, was some mauling.

Had a quick google, None of the starting 1-7 from that team were playing for the u21s this year. Bar Barron who has since moved to the forwards so maybe it was just defensively that weren't at the races. We were strong further up the field though Bennett Barry Dillon dunford breathnach Gavin o'brien etc

robopaddy wrote: »

On the day the Goalkeeper, Full Back and Centre Back froze in the first 20 minutes and the damage was done. It was only when I think it was Ray Barry went to Centre Back that the ship was steadied. To be fair we were weak in those positions throughout that year.

Agreed, that wasn't Chuck's finest hour but the point I'm making is that he and Dave Bennett did unbelievable work with those lads on and off the field and really looked out for their welfare to the point that they were told that if they didn't do their study for the Leaving Cert they weren't allowed train. Chuck went to unbelievable lengths to solve any issues that those lads may have had off the field. I know they may seem trivial things now but it shows how straight Chuck is and how he genuinely looked after lads. Many of them are senior inter county now and some are not but Chuck is still there for them all.

The same year Chuck organised fundraiser after fundraiser for those lads as the county board turned their backs. The reason he hasn't been given a team since is because he went to them, present secretary included and told him what he thought of them. It was no co-incidence that his nomination went missing this year as our brilliant administrators didn't want him as they looked on him as and had been heard to call him a trouble maker.

I know one thing, Chuck wouldn't have taken the bulls*it from McGrath that Peter Queally had to take this year and he definitely wouldn't, like McGrath, in desperation, play someone who hadn't trained all year exposing him to an even longer layoff and further injury whilst giving the finger to lads on the panel who had trained and stayed off the drink for months.

I'm not saying he's a messiah. What I am saying though is that, unlike McGrath, he is straight up, has the courage of his convictions and is truthful with players and they respect him for that. A situation would never arise like in the senior panel this year where several players were not spoken to by the Manager for months on end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

On the day the Goalkeeper, Full Back and Centre Back froze in the first 20 minutes and the damage was done. It was only when I think it was Ray Barry went to Centre Back that the ship was steadied. To be fair we were weak in those positions throughout that year.

Agreed, that wasn't Chuck's finest hour but the point I'm making is that he and Dave Bennett did unbelievable work with those lads on and off the field and really looked out for their welfare to the point that they were told that if they didn't do their study for the Leaving Cert they weren't allowed train. Chuck went to unbelievable lengths to solve any issues that those lads may have had off the field. I know they may seem trivial things now but it shows how straight Chuck is and how he genuinely looked after lads. Many of them are senior inter county now and some are not but Chuck is still there for them all.

The same year Chuck organised fundraiser after fundraiser for those lads as the county board turned their backs. The reason he hasn't been given a team since is because he went to them, present secretary included and told him what he thought of them. It was no co-incidence that his nomination went missing this year as our brilliant administrators didn't want him as they looked on him as and had been heard to call him a trouble maker.

I know one thing, Chuck wouldn't have taken the bulls*it from McGrath that Peter Queally had to take this year and he definitely wouldn't, like McGrath, in desperation, play someone who hadn't trained all year exposing him to an even longer layoff and further injury whilst giving the finger to lads on the panel who had trained and stayed off the drink for months.

I'm not saying he's a messiah. What I am saying though is that, unlike McGrath, he is straight up, has the courage of his convictions and is truthful with players and they respect him for that. A situation would never arise like in the senior panel this year where several players were not spoken to by the Manager for months on end.

Sounds like there was a lot of unhappy players this year and wonder if you have been one of them or else it's someone fairly close to you. Anyway chuck did an ok job with that minor team, good wins against tipp, limerick and the worst Kilkenny minor team ever but against Dublin in particular they were destroyed. A bit too much physical training in the lead up to that match may not have helped from what i heard. Don't think he has managed any team since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Waterford have the best underage structures in munster with a constant ability to produce good minor teams but the seem unable to get the under 21s right for some reason. There are no circumstances under which the under 21s should be getting a hiding.
    That cork result could look fairly bad if clare hurl to their potential

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement