Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

hardybuck wrote: »
    You're aware that the players were obliged to hold a vote on the issue due to GAA rules?

obliged to vote , why exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

You're aware that the players were obliged to hold a vote on the issue due to GAA rules?

Then do the voting properly and have the full panel present. Instead 11 players had a sneaky meeting 2 hours before the minors were due to play in croke park. There is no manager in Ireland could have got a better performance out of waterford against kilkenny in the championship. I was really happy with that performance and also we did well in div 1A of the league.

If something is not broke then dont try and fix it as you'll end up breaking something that was good. The man that's favourite to replace Ryan has not got DLS to the same level they played at since 2010 when Ryan managed them. In 2011 & 2012 Ryan was doing a good job with the county team as far as I could see and fully deserved another year. If a new manager comes in and the performances of the team start going in the opposite direction then I will be holding the players responsible and I wont be holding back. The dumb asses really shot themselves in the foot with their badly organised meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

There is a rule now agreed between Gaa and GPA where the squad must be consulted in this fashion when a managers term is up. I think the Fanning article in the News & Star had a good bit of detail, but I think they were asked to doit as soon as possible - hence the bungled Sunday morning effort.

The players then are lambasted by the media and county board, who had their own agendas. They are pawns in the mess as much as Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sami Jenkis

Bizarre senior hurling quarter final in Walsh Park in front of a large crowd. Despite two huge rivals facing off in a must win game, there was little or no intensity from both sides.

DLS dominated possession for most of the 60 mins, but couldn't translate it to the scoreboard. Their game plan seemed to involve a lot of fancy interplay, but their first touch was generally awful and moves kept breaking down.

BG on the other hand relied on a lot of frees from Mahoney, many of them soft from what I thought was a fussy referee. They used what little possession they had to good effect and knocked over some tidy scores.

DLS suddenly spring into action with less than 5 left, and went a point up approaching injury time. They had 3 wides in a row which should have put the game to bed, but were punished by a last minute 65 from mahony.

DLS were carrying a few injuries coming in. Mullane was clearly injured, Jake Dillon and Keevers both pulled up hurt. BG drove on and were far livlier, the game was over after the first period of injury time.

BG will go on to win this now I think. I wonder what training DLS were doing in recent weeks as they were totally flat, and their touch was dreadful. They looked like a group of individuals who just expected it to happen for them.

I don't think McGrath will have covered himself in glory today. Brian Phelan at full forward made no sense at all, while Mullane was out in the middle of the field. The team have had two weekends away in the last couple of months, I don't think he'd know how to manage without spending like mad. That's before I even consider the 3-3-1 fiasco last year.

Would totally agree with you about the atmosphere and intensity. It was extremely flat and dead. Seemed like both teams were cagey in normal time. I thought by their own standards DLS were very poor over the course of the game. Especially their big players. Kevin Moran hit 7 or 8 balls without even looking, many which resulted in wides. Mullane was clearly not fit enough to start, but then to leave him for the whole game, and especially out around midfield was mind boggling? Thought Jake Dillon was poor also. Missed a lot of very scorable frees. Their best player was Shane McNulty at corner back. As stated above, the positioning of Bull Phelan was very strange. Wing forward to full forward, to the bench an back on to full forward. Derek McGratg certainly didn't cover himself in glory tonight.

Have to give credit to Ballygunner though, especially for their extra time performance. They clearly had a specific game plan from their puck outs, where not to rain them down on DLS half back line, and while at times a few were intercepted, they stuck to them and got their rewards. SOK was outstanding on goal all night. Barry Coughlan was exceptional in defence, and his goal was worth admission alone. Wayne Hutchinson was also very prominent. Shane O Sullivan was quite for large periods but came to life in extra time, and totally dominated the midfield area.
    It blows the championship wide open, and i'm sure there's 5 or 6 teams who feel they have a genuine chance of winning it out. Gunners have certainly thrown down a serious marker that they're the team to beat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

We had a good senior manager form the county ,the players shafted him , the only reason given so far was his bogger accent

Did anyone mention the earliest exit from the championship in ten years?

• Advertisement

Would totally agree with you about the atmosphere and intensity. It was extremely flat and dead. Seemed like both teams were cagey in normal time. I thought by their own standards DLS were very poor over the course of the game. Especially their big players. Kevin Moran hit 7 or 8 balls without even looking, many which resulted in wides. Mullane was clearly not fit enough to start, but then to leave him for the whole game, and especially out around midfield was mind boggling? Thought Jake Dillon was poor also. Missed a lot of very scorable frees. Their best player was Shane McNulty at corner back. As stated above, the positioning of Bull Phelan was very strange. Wing forward to full forward, to the bench an back on to full forward. Derek McGratg certainly didn't cover himself in glory tonight.

Have to give credit to Ballygunner though, especially for their extra time performance. They clearly had a specific game plan from their puck outs, where not to rain them down on DLS half back line, and while at times a few were intercepted, they stuck to them and got their rewards. SOK was outstanding on goal all night. Barry Coughlan was exceptional in defence, and his goal was worth admission alone. Wayne Hutchinson was also very prominent. Shane O Sullivan was quite for large periods but came to life in extra time, and totally dominated the midfield area.
    It blows the championship wide open, and i'm sure there's 5 or 6 teams who feel they have a genuine chance of winning it out. Gunners have certainly thrown down a serious marker that they're the team to beat!!
    Ballygunner have been coming on a great run now after a ropey start to the championship. I'd fancy them for Munster at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dickys Back Garden

Ballygunner have been coming on a great run now after a ropey start to the championship. I'd fancy them for Munster at this stage.

Stephen O' Keeffe's importance to Ballygunner is huge-everything he did today smacked of class-the best number 1 in the country in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Big win for Ballygunner this evening. They continued their recent good form and ran away with it in extra time. DLS had more possession in normal time but wasted a lot of it. I thought the Gunners looked fitter than DLS in extra time and seemed to want the win a bit more.

Barry Coughlan's goal was unreal, soloed from half way line, flicked it over DLS full back and collected the ball and buried it in the bottom corner. Absolute class.

Paudie Mahony hit 15 points which is some going and SOK was class in goal, saving goals and points. He's really developing into a top keeper. His puck out strategy was excellent, they couldnt put high balls down on top of Moran and Kennedy and expect to win. Worked out well for them.

DLS wont be happy this evening. Leaving Mullane on was ridiculous, he couldnt even walk by the end. Phelan at full forward? As others have said, Derek McGrath didnt come out of tonight looking great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

GAA Rule or GPA Rule?

Black Suir wrote: »
    GAA Rule or GPA Rule?

If they were only following a rule ,why no statement ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Stephen O' Keeffe's importance to Ballygunner is huge-everything he did today smacked of class-the best number 1 in the country in my view.

Sok is good but Nash is the best keeper in the country by a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

GAA rule following an agreement with the GPA, who are now an official body.

Why no statement - I put it down to a lack of experience and savvy among the players. Even the more senior lads like Brick and Sully would be quiet enough chaps.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

deisedude wrote: »

Not gonna say he's the best in the country but what he did for Ballygunner today was... wow tbh
    Not even the saves he made in the first few mins but his composure with the ball, his puckouts, his ability to find a man. He was actually unreal!!

deisedude wrote: »

Indeed , we'll see next year but for now ,I have to say he's the second best priest

3s3kvh.jpg

GAA rule following an agreement with the GPA, who are now an official body.

Why no statement - I put it down to a lack of experience and savvy among the players. Even the more senior lads like Brick and Sully would be quiet enough chaps.

Do we know they both were at the meeting and that they voted to moved Michael Ryan out. If they were amongst those that wanted to keep him they are hardly going to speak out and explain the reasons why the players voted the way they did.

After De La Salle's extra time loss to Ballygunner last night, do people think Derek McGrath is still the man to take over the Waterford job. Does his CV stand up. 2 Munster and 2 All-Ireland Colleges finals with De La Salle College, you cant argue with that, but managing Colleges teams to success is a lot different to try and manage a senior inter county team. OK he won a County Final last year with De La Salle, but lets be honest, was last year's County Senior Hurling Championship the best we have had in recent years. Like Tallow the year before, Dungarvan rode their luck a bit to get to the final, but you need that at times. Did Dungarvan supporters really see themselves win that game and could the De La Salle supporters really see themselves loose the game. In Munster, he was Lucky to see his side get past the Clare champions and were beaten by Thurles Sars. I wonder did those that voted out Michael Ryan really plan out what they were doing. Did they make their judgement on what they might be reading on places like here at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

After De La Salle's extra time loss to Ballygunner last night, do people think Derek McGrath is still the man to take over the Waterford job. Does his CV stand up. 2 Munster and 2 All-Ireland Colleges finals with De La Salle College, you cant argue with that, but managing Colleges teams to success is a lot different to try and manage a senior inter county team. OK he won a County Final last year with De La Salle, but lets be honest, was last year's County Senior Hurling Championship the best we have had in recent years. Like Tallow the year before, Dungarvan rode their luck a bit to get to the final, but you need that at times. Did Dungarvan supporters really see themselves win that game and could the De La Salle supporters really see themselves loose the game. In Munster, he was Lucky to see his side get past the Clare champions and were beaten by Thurles Sars. I wonder did those that voted out Michael Ryan really plan out what they were doing. Did they make their judgement on what they might be reading on places like here at times.

The idea of McGrath getting the Waterford job shouldnt even be entertained imo I'm sick of hearing about him. What has he actually done? I agree about the 2 All Ireland Colleges its a totally different kettle of fish to senior intercounty management its not even on the same wave length. That was an exceptionally good group of players and while there was an awful lot of good work done with them there was an almost obscene amount of money invested in it and you would expect some silverware to come back after going to those lenghts. Michael Ryan got the Waterford job based on what he done mainly with the DLS seniors and as someone else alluded to McGrath hasnt even been able to get out of them what skully did even though they have arguably a stronger team now.

Mount Sion hammered Tallow in first of the triple header games at the Fraher Field, something like 2-22 to 1-7.

Half time in the second game is Ballyduff Upper 0-12 Passage 1-4. Passage got 1-1 just before half time and have wind for second half

Passage put in a big second half and won by 5 points in the end, 1-19 to 0-17 it finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Very interested to log on today and see that DLS are out. Great stuff from Ballygunner obviously, fairplay to them.

As regards Mullane at midfield, I would have thought anyone watching him last year with Waterford could see that he was performing better in a deeper role. I think he might have lost the slightest of edges off his turn of pace. But he excelled in that role at half forward against Clare, winning ball and running at them, and even more so against Cork when playing even deeper in midfield.

Obviously didn't see the game, but saw Mullane in that role with DLS and having him roam, pick up ball from deep and run at teams to me seemed like a clever use of him. He didn't play in the full forward line that oftnen with them anyway.

The issue seems to be more the fact he was injured and shouldn't have played or should have been taken off. But people shouldn't just try an add to that with something that's not really true just as an extra stick to beat McGrath with.

• Advertisement

Half time in the last quarter final and Abbeyside are well in front, 2-9 to 0-2. Evan allowing for the strong wind, thats a long way back for Fourmilewater

Abbeyside hammered Fourmilwater in the end, 3-15 to 0-6 last i heard with time almost up. So semi finalists will be Ballygunner, Mount Sion, Passage and Abbeyside. Open draw to be made after last quarter final

Semi final draw is:

Ballygunner v Abbeyside
    Passage v Mount Sion

Games down to be played in 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Interesting. I think gunners will have too much for abbeyside but passage could well take mt sion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

robopaddy wrote: »
    Interesting. I think gunners will have too much for abbeyside but passage could well take mt sion

Would actually disagree on both accounts.

While I would install Ballygunner as favourites, I wouldn't say there will be a lot between them. Hard to read group game form against knockout stages but Abbeyside bet the well that day.

Can't see past Mount Sion in the other game surely. Ballyduff gave Passage an awful lot of it today.

The Waterford hurling championship must be one of the strangest around results wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Would actually disagree on both accounts.

While I would install Ballygunner as favourites, I wouldn't say there will be a lot between them. Hard to read group game form against knockout stages but Abbeyside bet the well that day.

Can't see past Mount Sion in the other game surely. Ballyduff gave Passage an awful lot of it today.

The Waterford hurling championship must be one of the strangest around results wise.

Galway would take some beating. Clarinbridge nearly got relegated 2 years after winning the all ireland!

Mikey Kearney did very well for Ballyduff at full forward today and Cian Leamy did reasonably at centre forward. They were a very small outfit though and Passage horsed them out of it by the end. The goal before halftime was crucial though Ballyduff were undone by their own puck out strategy for the first 15 minutes of the second half. Every ball was pucked out high and just held up in the wind and Passage could just rush onto it. Eventually they pucked the ball out low and got back into it,but too late. You'd imagine Adrian Power would have made a huge difference if he was available.

Still when they could get the ball they played a lovely brand of hurling.

How did Tallow beat DLS? Mount Sion had them rolled over after 10 minutes despite playing into the gale. I think they had 1-6 up before Tallow scored. Eoin MCGrath was excellent in open play as were Owen Whelan and Stephen Roche. Austin Gleeson gave a Rolls Royce display but tougher test lie ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Mikey Kearney did very well for Ballyduff at full forward today and Cian Leamy did reasonably at centre forward. They were a very small outfit though and Passage horsed them out of it by the end. The goal before halftime was crucial though Ballyduff were undone by their own puck out strategy for the first 15 minutes of the second half. Every ball was pucked out high and just held up in the wind and Passage could just rush onto it. Eventually they pucked the ball out low and got back into it,but too late. You'd imagine Adrian Power would have made a huge difference if he was available.

How did Tallow beat DLS? Mount Sion had them rolled over after 10 minutes despite playing into the gale. I think they had 1-6 up before Tallow scored. Eoin MCGrath was excellent in open play as were Owen Whelan and Stephen Roche. Austin Gleeson gave a Rolls Royce display but tougher test lie ahead.
    Mikie Kearney was class wasn't he, gave Mark Wyse a very tough time. Cian Leamy had a tough day at the office marking Noel Connors but handled himself well. Tallow played DLS when DLS were missing Mullane, Keane, Kevin Moran, Ian flynn, Dean Twomey they didn't want to lose their intermediate players either so Stevie Brenner the goalkeeper was their only sub used. Thought Abbeyside played very well, Patrick Hurney has 10-10 scored in this years championship I think, Waterford call up might be a possibility?

I wonder how many of the Passage men went and shook Mickey Waddings hand after the game. He was their man of the match. The goal came as a result of a side line the linesman had awarded to Ballyduff but Wadding got him to reverse the call. There was Ballyduff players who went down with knocks in the second half, some may be to the head as they took their helmet off straight away, but he would not allow the game to be held up. Its not that long ago that he was the ref for an All-Ireland final, but has since got dropped off the panel and after today's show it was easy to see why. I asked a referee in the ground and contacted another from outside the county after the game if he should have stopped the game when a player was on the field without wearing a helmet. Both without taking a second to think about it said yes. They said the rule to referees is very clear. If a player is not wearing a helmet the game stops even if a player is in the process of shooting for a goal.

• Advertisement

I wonder how many of the Passage men went and shook Mickey Waddings hand after the game. He was their man of the match. The goal came as a result of a side line the linesman had awarded to Ballyduff but Wadding got him to reverse the call. There was Ballyduff players who went down with knocks in the second half, some may be to the head as they took their helmet off straight away, but he would not allow the game to be held up. Its not that long ago that he was the ref for an All-Ireland final, but has since got dropped off the panel and after today's show it was easy to see why. I asked a referee in the ground and contacted another from outside the county after the game if he should have stopped the game when a player was on the field without wearing a helmet. Both without taking a second to think about it said yes. They said the rule to referees is very clear. If a player is not wearing a helmet the game stops even if a player is in the process of shooting for a goal.

Yes the carry on with the injured players was farcical.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement