Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

whens the next game ?

Kilkenny in 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Great win for the minors. Did really well to lift themselves only a few days after the disappointment of losing the Munster final replay.

Playing Kilkenny next in the All Ireland semi final at Croke Park on August 10th.

We finally got a win in July!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Weldone Waterford minors. Good to see their is still life in waterford hurling after a dismal couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

robopaddy wrote: »
    U havin a laugh?

why? they've got dozens of radio stations, it was worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 38,344 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Well done to the minors, at least we get a Croke park date now against Kilkenny

It will be the same day as Kilkenny vs Wexford/ limerick in the Senoir

• Advertisement

gavwaldo wrote: »
    why? they've got dozens of radio stations, it was worth a shot

I've spent a lot of time in dublin. You'd be hard pushed to find a station covering the senior hurlers let alone the minors

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Are we not playin winners of antrim v Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Limerick are playing poor and still miles ahead. Makes last weeks result even more damning in my opinion. Wexford very average

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

deisedude wrote: »
    Limerick are playing poor and still miles ahead. Makes last weeks result even more damning in my opinion. Wexford very average
    I agree. It just shows how much trouble Waterford is in. Wexford was beaten by half time. So the leg weariness factor would not have set in.
    It is time for hard decisions in Waterford!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Just watching the Dublin Tipp game and I'm thinking how much persuading would it take to get Anthony Daly down this way or is he biding his time for the Clare job?

I think he would be the right guy to get the best out of the Waterford players and the idea of another player revolution should be put to bed as they would have a top manager who has progressed Dublin hurling so it definitely qualifies him as a top manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

obezyana wrote: »
    Just watching the Dublin Tipp game and I'm thinking how much persuading would it take to get Anthony Daly down this way or is he biding his time for the Clare job?

I think he would be the right guy to get the best out of the Waterford players and the idea of another player revolution should be put to bed as they would have a top manager who has progressed Dublin hurling so it definitely qualifies him as a top manager.

With the free reign he has from Dublin county board an the fact they have any amount of cash to spend on the best of gear, expenses and anything else he may need it for. I'd say he wouldn't touch us til we get our finances sorted and get rid of our Chairman an current secretary who in my view gets away lightly with his attitude towards people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

obezyana wrote: »

Looking at Dublin there today and in the Leinster final it would be like replacing like for like. Way too much handpassing, resulting in turnovers and scores conceded. Very poor first touch. Playing a sweeper against Kilkenny when they should have gone for it.
    No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Waterford minors will meet Kilkenny in the All Ireland semi final on August 10 at Croke Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Waterford minors will meet Kilkenny in the All Ireland semi final on August 10 at Croke Park

How much for students, 35?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Well done to our minor team today.
    Deise Abu!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Congratulations to our minor hurlers today, a great bounce back after the Munster final replay, they will have no fear of Kilkenny and are now only 60 minutes away from another All Ireland final, just goes to show that we are producing not only hurlers of skill but character as well, our management at senior could do with taking some pointers

• Registered Users Posts: 35 deisedoz

Congratulations to our minor hurlers today, a great bounce back after the Munster final replay, they will have no fear of Kilkenny and are now only 60 minutes away from another All Ireland final, just goes to show that we are producing not only hurlers of skill but character as well, our management at senior could do with taking some pointers

Couldn't have said it better, great to see some evidence that the old Waterford style is still there! Was a great effort down there today, some of the players who maybe didn't fire on Tuesday like Shane Bennett and Cormac Curran really delivered today...tend to agree with Derek Lyons though that this team hasn't played to its full potential yet...hopefully break will do the lads good as we need a 100% fit Paddy Curran if we're going to take out the cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

deisedoz wrote: »
    Couldn't have said it better, great to see some evidence that the old Waterford style is still there! Was a great effort down there today, some of the players who maybe didn't fire on Tuesday like Shane Bennett and Cormac Curran really delivered today...tend to agree with Derek Lyons though that this team hasn't played to its full potential yet...hopefully break will do the lads good as we need a 100% fit Paddy Curran if we're going to take out the cats.
    Was Patrick Curran struggling again today? he didn't look 100% and the minor club championship is back on tuesday, not much of a break for him

Calm down. Its their 4th week on the trot and considering they had the u21 win in between aswell its 5 games for some of them in 4 weeks. It was always going to catch up on them. I dont think anyone questioned that Wexford were average enough anyway even before this. They still beat the AI champs over 2 games. I dont think this result sheds any more light on where we stand that what we didnt know already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Where does this minor team stand in comparison to last years for those who have been watching them closely?

• Advertisement

redlead wrote: »
    Where does this minor team stand in comparison to last years for those who have been watching them closely?

I would say this years group is more of a team while last year was based more on more individual talent such as Austin Gleeson and Stephen Bennett.
    Still a very talented bunch this year but a big difference for me is we have been a lot shrewder on the sideline. We are very quick to slate management in this county not as quick to praise but I think Derek Lyons and his management team deserve great credit theyve been doing fantastic work with these lads

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Yea I guess it's stating the obvious. Beating a tired and indisciplined Clare team that looked nothing like last year meant Wexford were a good team all of a sudden. They should have been found out a week earlier but given we put in a similar performance to the Cork game when we were beating by 14 points meant the crazy hysteria continued on another week.

robopaddy wrote: »
    Calm down. Its their 4th week on the trot and considering they had the u21 win in between aswell its 5 games for some of them in 4 weeks. It was always going to catch up on them. I dont think anyone questioned that Wexford were average enough anyway even before this. They still beat the AI champs over 2 games. I dont think this result sheds any more light on where we stand that what we didnt know already.
    Wexford was after three weeks on the trot and two periods of extra time when it met Waterford. It was there for the taking. Yet Wexford finished stronger than Waterford. Such was the shambolic nature of Waterford's preparation and team selections I am not surprised that a very poor Wexford team beat us. We either sort out the mess by taking hard decisions or we deserve what is coming to us. Only in Waterford would people tolerate such a set up. We had some players selected who were over weight and unfit. The skill levels of the team have dropped alarmingly and of course some of the team selections and selectorial decisions took the biscuit. This is not just my opinion. It is the opinion of most Waterford supporters who are sick of the incompetence and mediocrity.

The decent skins are busy trying to explain away the abysmal performances and focus on 2015. It is a tactic designed to take the pressure off Derek McGrath. Sorry it wont wash with most supporters who laugh at the gobbledygook about the "three year plan". They know "their own know". Without a radical shake up up here it is curtains and a generation of good hurlers will be lost once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

culbaire wrote: »
    Wexford was after three weeks on the trot and two periods of extra time when it met Waterford. It was there for the taking. Yet Wexford finished stronger than Waterford. Such was the shambolic nature of Waterford's preparation and team selections I am not surprised that a very poor Wexford team beat us. We either sort out the mess by taking hard decisions or we deserve what is coming to us. Only in Waterford would people tolerate such a set up. We had some players selected who were over weight and unfit. The skill levels of the team have dropped alarmingly and of course some of the team selections and selectorial decisions took the biscuit. This is not just my opinion. It is the opinion of most Waterford supporters who are sick of the incompetence and mediocrity.

The decent skins are busy trying to explain away the abysmal performances and focus on 2015. It is a tactic designed to take the pressure off Derek McGrath. Sorry it wont wash with most supporters who laugh at the gobbledygook about the "three year plan". They know "their own know". Without a radical shake up up here it is curtains and a generation of good hurlers will be lost once more.

Wexford never got going, whether it be stage fright or tiredness we'll never know. I would think that on form, they'd probably be 3-5 points off Limerick.

I think that probably accurately shows how far Waterford are off the semi finalists. Cork beat us by 14 points in Munster, Kilkenny beat us by 18 or so points in the league. Tipp were there for the taking in the League, but we'd be doing well to get within 6 of them right now.

People talk about how we shouldn't be accepting mediocrity, but being completely honest, do we have mediocre players right now? Certainly in the forwards we are well below average, and the team has an average spine apart from probably centre back and one of our midfielders.

Things might have gone backwards a bit under McGrath, but that rot was set in before he got there - that sort of damage isn't done in a year. As a small county we were never under any guarantee to develop players of the quality we had before.

As the rot didn't take place overnight, the recovery won't happen overnight either. Waterford fans will probably need to wait another couple of years before they can hope to challenge for Munster titles again, regardless of who we have in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

To call Wexford a poor team is very harsh. OK they are no world beaters, but yesterday you have to factor in that they played is it five senior championship games in six weeks, two of which went to extra time, and they also had some players involved in an under 21 game as well. If Wexford are a poor side, what are Waterford as they deserved their win over Waterford last week.

If we learn one thing from Wexford and their recent run of games, it is that the GAA has to look at its calender and to work out a way so that games are more spread out and maybe for inter county games, up to and including a semi final, that they are finished on the day, something like games in the Fitzgibbon Cup are once they reach the knockout stages of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The games are spread out enough, the replays are the killer. If the games got spread out anymore the teams going through the front door would be kicking their heels even longer.

To call Wexford a poor team is very harsh. OK they are no world beaters, but yesterday you have to factor in that they played is it five senior championship games in six weeks, two of which went to extra time, and they also had some players involved in an under 21 game as well. If Wexford are a poor side, what are Waterford as they deserved their win over Waterford last week.

If we learn one thing from Wexford and their recent run of games, it is that the GAA has to look at its calender and to work out a way so that games are more spread out and maybe for inter county games, up to and including a semi final, that they are finished on the day, something like games in the Fitzgibbon Cup are once they reach the knockout stages of the competition.

The point I was making is that Waterford was shockingly bad!!!!!!

hardybuck wrote: »
    Wexford never got going, whether it be stage fright or tiredness we'll never know. I would think that on form, they'd probably be 3-5 points off Limerick.

I think that probably accurately shows how far Waterford are off the semi finalists. Cork beat us by 14 points in Munster, Kilkenny beat us by 18 or so points in the league. Tipp were there for the taking in the League, but we'd be doing well to get within 6 of them right now.

People talk about how we shouldn't be accepting mediocrity, but being completely honest, do we have mediocre players right now? Certainly in the forwards we are well below average, and the team has an average spine apart from probably centre back and one of our midfielders.

Things might have gone backwards a bit under McGrath, but that rot was set in before he got there - that sort of damage isn't done in a year. As a small county we were never under any guarantee to develop players of the quality we had before.

As the rot didn't take place overnight, the recovery won't happen overnight either. Waterford fans will probably need to wait another couple of years before they can hope to challenge for Munster titles again, regardless of who we have in charge.
    Contrast Waterford V Kilkenny last year with the shambles against Wexford. In addition the county has been relegated.
    Let me be blunt: Derek McGrath is not good enough. I will leave it at that.
    PS Word is out about the shambolic nature of team preparation and selection. Time for new management !!! John Mullane says players are not there . No John: Quality of management is not there. Before the arrival of Gerald and Justin McCarthy the word from selection committees was "the players are not there". We are now back to the bad old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Contrast Waterford V Kilkenny last year with the shambles against Wexford. In addition the county has been relegated.
    Let me be blunt: Derek McGrath is not good enough. I will leave it at that.
    PS Word is out about the shambolic nature of team preparation and selection. Time for new management !!! John Mullane says players are not there . No John: Quality of management is not there. Before the arrival of Gerald and Justin McCarthy the word from selection committees was "the players are not there". We are now back to the bad old days.

I'd also say contrast Kilkenny this year with last year.

So, just to summarise your many posts, you think that the players are up to the standard of the other semi finalists?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

My tuppence worth. There are enough good players in Waterford to compete in division 1A, for Munster and for National titles. They might not win them but they are good enough to be competing and should not be were they are now. Secondly the players are there at underage to suggest and even brighter future. The players are there so if a problem exists it is not in that area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement