Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

robopaddy wrote: »
    You just need to have patience. Give McGrath time. He has a proven track record at club and schools level. This is the final piece in the jigsaw. Give him a chance.

Dont think you will fool anybody saying he gas a proven track record at club. He managed one senior club team for 2 years in his whole life, that been with DLS where they went backwards under him, he has no county managerial experience at any level not even as a former selector. His greatest achievement was winning harty cups in 07/08 that's looking more like a curse now after those lads he managed back then got him the senior county job and now look at the mess that has followed. It's the final piece in the jigsaw alright, to turn off young players with talent from playing for the county and to waste all the good work done at underage for the last number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

You just need to have patience. Give McGrath time. He has a proven track record at club and schools level. This is the final piece in the jigsaw. Give him a chance.
    what do you mean give him a chance,would it be "a chance to finish what Davy left behind him "a chance me hole,we beat Laois this year ,,,first year plan,not to actually compete in Waterford Crystal Cup -to be relegated to Div 1B,Have a disaster in the Munster Championship and to beat LAOIS in the All Ireland Qualifiers,playing the worst hurling i have ever seen in any grade for the last 40 years,so now it is a 2 year plan so im thinking it has to be something like win the Waterford Crystal Cup, promotion from Div 1B (when it should have been to win the National League )and to get to the All ireland Semi ,we are then on course for the 3rd year a clean sweep (actually playing hurling )All Ireland Champions 2016,,,the man has had his chance numerous ones at that and as the year has gone on he has got decidedly worse,any CHANCE he would do the honorable thing and go away ,CHANCE would be a fine thing ,,,,CHANCE ,VERY FUNNY BUT DELUSIONAL,,Oh one more thing,did you find my stash ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 whiskeystones

Dont think you will fool anybody saying he gas a proven track record at club. He managed one senior club team for 2 years in his whole life, that been with DLS where they went backwards under him, he has no county managerial experience at any level not even as a former selector. His greatest achievement was winning harty cups in 07/08 that's looking more like a curse now after those lads he managed back then got him the senior county job and now look at the mess that has followed. It's the final piece in the jigsaw alright, to turn off young players with talent from playing for the county and to waste all the good work done at underage for the last number of years.

Good points....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Ye are jumping the gun here lads. This is a 3 year plan. Only one year down. Its a big project. Rome wasn't built in a day shur wasn't Alex Ferguson with united for donkeys years before he won anything. Derek has tasted success with every team he has managed and it will happen again. He's a top manager and a top guy. Any of the lads that played under him at dls and the school will tell you. They are the ones that are in the know and would die for him. Patience is a virtue men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

culbaire wrote: »
    What is Jim Greene's track record as a senior intercounty coach/selector. Mountainland is correct re Martin O'Neill.

Jim Greene had a successful spell with Carlow, winning the Christy Ring. And Mountainlad is definetly 100% correct re Martin O' Neil. Not the players own fault though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Ye are jumping the gun here lads. This is a 3 year plan. Only one year down. Its a big project. Rome wasn't built in a day shur wasn't Alex Ferguson with united for donkeys years before he won anything. Derek has tasted success with every team he has managed and it will happen again. He's a top manager and a top guy. Any of the lads that played under him at dls and the school will tell you. They are the ones that are in the know and would die for him. Patience is a virtue men

He was, but Fergie had a track record of sucess, which can be argued was greater than his sucess at Utd. He broke the old firm stranglehold on the premiership and also won a European cup. In relative terms Mcgrath has no where near the same level of sucess. I'd compare him more to David Moyes...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

This whole county needs a major over haul Co board, Magament the works

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Jim Greene had a successful spell with Carlow, winning the Christy Ring. And Mountainlad is definetly 100% correct re Martin O' Neil. Not the players own fault though.
    Big difference between winning the Christy Ring Cup and the McCarthy Cup.

Hslaw wrote: »
    This whole county needs a major over haul Co board, Magament the works
    Agree!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Derek McGrath has failed abysmally. Remember this was supposed to be the golden team.

The Golden team??. According to who.??! After all of the best Waterford players that we had seen in our lifetimes... had all retired -including John Mullane???

No the Golden team were around in 2002-2007 and ultimately fell short. Calling this unproven (at senior level) generation a golden team is waaaay off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Highlights of both Waterford minor games are up on the tg4 replayer

Hey Willie,

I'd a look there and cant seem to find it.

Any chance you can put up the link?

Deskjockey wrote: »
    The Golden team??. According to who.??! After all of the best Waterford players that we had seen in our lifetimes... had all retired -including John Mullane???

No the Golden team were around in 2002-2007 and ultimately fell short. Calling this unproven (at senior level) generation a golden team is waaaay off the mark.
    I was referring to the golden MANAGEMENT team". The management team of all the talents according to some people who posted here. When some of us challenged this we were lectured about the prowess of each member of the new MANAGEMENT team. Waterford is quickly returning to the bad old days. It is time to bring in a manager from outside the county with a proven track record.

Jesus Clare are hammering cork in the U21 final. Are we that bad at that level considering the crop of players we have.

I was referring to the golden MANAGEMENT team". The management team of all the talents according to some people who posted here. When some of us challenged this we were lectured about the prowess of each member of the new MANAGEMENT team. Waterford is quickly returning to the bad old days. It is time to bring in a manager from outside the county with a proven track record.

Get Justin back. He would have a great bunch of young players to work with. And he would get the most out of them.

Hslaw wrote: »
    Get Justin back. He would have a great bunch of young players to work with. And he would get the most out of them.
    Well he has his faults but he would turn the good hurlers that we have at present into a great team playing free flowing hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Clare 1.15 Cork 0.5 halftime score in the under 21 Munster Final. Clare look great and Cork look a very poor side indeed as many a Corkman said to me in Walsh Park before they played us. So where does that leave Waterford hurling. This year anyway I saw nothing to say we have some decent hurlers comming on. If they are they would want to start showing it on the field of play and stop blaming whoever is managing them. Players have to hold their hands up and take some of the blame if they are as good as we make them out to be. I fear for Waterford in 1b next year with Limerick and Wexford there also. I would fear Laois also as if they had studied themselves and had more belief they would have beaten us also in the Championship this year. I hope the minor team will show some promise and at least get to another All-Ireland because if Limerick had got through last year we would still be waiting for that elusive Minor title last won in 1948.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Clare 1.15 Cork 0.5 halftime score in the under 21 Munster Final. Clare look great and Cork look a very poor side indeed as many a Corkman said to me in Walsh Park before they played us. So where does that leave Waterford hurling. This year anyway I saw nothing to say we have some decent hurlers comming on. If they are they would want to start showing it on the field of play and stop blaming whoever is managing them. Players have to hold their hands up and take some of the blame if they are as good as we make them out to be. I fear for Waterford in 1b next year with Limerick and Wexford there also. I would fear Laois also as if they had studied themselves and had more belief they would have beaten us also in the Championship this year. I hope the minor team will show some promise and at least get to another All-Ireland because if Limerick had got through last year we would still be waiting for that elusive Minor title last won in 1948.

There was only one hurling team in Walsh Park that day and it wasn't Laois. They deserved to lose by a good 15 points.

In fairness, Dunford, Bourke, Gleeson have all impressed in debut seasons this year. Patrick Curran, Stephen Bennett have plenty of hurling. Darragh Fives, Paudie Prender has been hurling well, if they could get O Halloran fit, Stephen O Keefffe, Noel Connors, Jamie Barron, Jake Dillon etc. Plenty of good hurlers there.

I've just watched a Cork team lose to Clare by 15 points. The same Cork team that beat Waterford in Walsh park by 11 points. That to me is total dejection. I hope these lads you have mentioned Mountainlad do make some progress next year but all I can say about the matches I attended this year leaving out the minors have been puke hurling and very demorlizing to watch. Good luck to the minors now against Kilkenny in the Semi-Final, at least go out and if they go a few points behind don't drop the heads as the rest of the Waterford teams I have watched this yea have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭blue note

I've just watched a Cork team lose to Clare by 15 points. The same Cork team that beat Waterford in Walsh park by 11 points. That to me is total dejection. I hope these lads you have mentioned Mountainlad do make some progress next year but all I can say about the matches I attended this year leaving out the minors have been puke hurling and very demorlizing to watch. Good luck to the minors now against Kilkenny in the Semi-Final, at least go out and if they go a few points behind don't drop the heads as the rest of the Waterford teams I have watched this yea have done.

If you add the 15 points cork lost by to Clare to the 11 we lost by to Cork you get a meaningless number.

• Advertisement

Don't try and misrepresent what I posted. I have never used the word "imagine". What I have posted here is based on FACT not spin. I am calling it EXACTLY as it is not like the decent skins some of whom in the media continue with rubbish about the three year plan and McGrath the strategist. When I called for outside help I meant a coach of stature from OUTSIDE Co. Waterford not somebody from within Co. Waterford. I SPECIFICALLY mentioned Co. Kilkenny and Co. Cork.
    Derek McGrath has failed abysmally. Remember this was supposed to be the golden team.

cul beag wrote: »
    Can't agree with you. What's your take on jim Greene's involvement? Surely does this not show a manager that has lost the plot? If you were Maher Flannery or Shanahan what would your take be in the manager bringing in Greene? Whatever about Flannery and Maher, Shanahan would have the inside track on him and would certainly be not too happy I'd imagine about having him on board.

Finally though id love to know,outside of the players on the panel that he previously coached what are the rest of the squad thinking of the set up now?
    Probably never know!

I dunno but I'm pretty sure I see the word imagine there, maybe just a poor turn of phrase though.

Just I would imagine is the kind of phrase that I think suggest you don't actually know, and with that in mind it would be unfair to speculate on the opinions of the selectors unless you are actually sure. Maybe you are, and as I said maybe it was just a mistake in the chosen word.

It's that sort of thing though that would make you question how much of this is objective anger at the setup, and how much is a personal grievance/dislike etc. It maybe that it's you have nothing against him on a personal level, but it does come across that way at times.

Especially like stuff like 'the golden team' and 'everyone said this and that'. Most people, players and managers, will have those who talk well of them and those who don't. I dunno that it does anything for your point of view to say things with an underlying 'I told you so' and keep talking about 'the decent skins'.

I don't see too many people (in fact basically nobody) who was please with this year but I'd like a bit of balance at the same time. My honest opinion is that is not being provided at the moment.

blue note wrote: »
    If you add the 15 points cork lost by to Clare to the 11 we lost by to Cork you get a meaningless number.

It does highlight how poor this Cork team really were and all the more galling to get beat by them in our own back yard by 11 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

Three games played in Senior Football Championship this evening and three teams now into quarter finals.

SFC – Full Time – Kilrossanty 3-14 Rathgormack 1-5
    SFC – Full Time – The Nire 2-15 De La Salle 0-8
    SFC – Full Time – An Rinn 1-17 Ardmore 0-9. An Rinn into the quarter finals.

SFC- Group one - Ballinacourty 6pts, An Rinn 6pts, Kilrossanty 5pts Rathgormack 4pts, Clashmore 1pt, Ardmore 0pts

SFC – Group 2 – Nire 8pts, Stradbally 4pts, Gaultier 3pts, De La Salle & Saviours 2pts, Ballinameela 1pt

I dunno but I'm pretty sure I see the word imagine there, maybe just a poor turn of phrase though.

Just I would imagine is the kind of phrase that I think suggest you don't actually know, and with that in mind it would be unfair to speculate on the opinions of the selectors unless you are actually sure. Maybe you are, and as I said maybe it was just a mistake in the chosen word.

It's that sort of thing though that would make you question how much of this is objective anger at the setup, and how much is a personal grievance/dislike etc. It maybe that it's you have nothing against him on a personal level, but it does come across that way at times.

Especially like stuff like 'the golden team' and 'everyone said this and that'. Most people, players and managers, will have those who talk well of them and those who don't. I dunno that it does anything for your point of view to say things with an underlying 'I told you so' and keep talking about 'the decent skins'.

I don't see too many people (in fact basically nobody) who was please with this year but I'd like a bit of balance at the same time. My honest opinion is that is not being provided at the moment.
    The reality is that Waterford is in big trouble. The current management team lacks the ability to achieve success and has failed. There is no point in trying to pick holes in what some posters say here. The issue is the shambolic set up at Senior level. New thinking is required to secure success at U-21 level as well. The problems must be addressed if the county is to have any prospects of success. If not we will reap the whirlwind.

Also a lot of fresh blood with new ideas is required at Co. Board level.
    People should no longer walk into officerships because it is their turn. We need a new dynamic Co.Board chairman who can provide strong leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

We need a new dynamic Co.Board chairman who can provide strong leadership.

Position is up for grabs if anyone wants it at the end of the year. Cant imagine there will be a big cue, even if three names are mentioned in certain places in recent times.

The reality is that Waterford is in big trouble. The current management team lacks the ability to achieve success and has failed. There is no point in trying to pick holes in what some posters say here. The issue is the shambolic set up at Senior level. New thinking is required to secure success at U-21 level as well. The problems must be addressed if the county is to have any prospects of success. If not we will reap the whirlwind.

Also a lot of fresh blood with new ideas is required at Co. Board level.
    People should no longer walk into officerships because it is their turn. We need a new dynamic Co.Board chairman who can provide strong leadership.

Ok so, valid points made. What would your idea of a successful season have been this year for McGrath in his first year?

It does highlight how poor this Cork team really were and all the more galling to get beat by them in our own back yard by 11 points.
    bet by 11 points was hardly the true story ,cork were down to 14 men ,Waterford were withdrawing forwards and bringing on defenders to shore up the defence and keep the score down ,oh sweet jesus the hardest viewing to date ,and this cork team is far from poor you must first and foremost give credit to the winners ,the fact they were beat by Clare is down to Clare been better on the day ,we always try yardsticks like they beat us by so much and then they were bet by so much and that makes us **** ,Give credit to the winners ,,like our yardstick for success is bringing Kilkenny to extra time ffs ,it that it ,Galway do it from time to time ,even bring them to a replay,but that is not a moral victory for them ,they see that as failure not progress ,,,wisht what was that ?ah the sound of a penny dropping

Ok so, valid points made. What would your idea of a successful season have been this year for McGrath in his first year?
    A successful season ,,1 win Waterford Crystal Cup,2 National league final ,,3 win Munster ,,4.. Final of all Ireland ,but if its a 3 year plan ,then do it the hard way
    have a disaster and wait for next year

A successful season ,,1 win Waterford Crystal Cup,2 National league final ,,3 win Munster ,,4.. Final of all Ireland ,but if its a 3 year plan ,then do it the hard way

That's a very realistic vision you have there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

If you win an all Ireland the other 3 points become mute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement