Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,344 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hope I'm wrong but I think Kilkenny will be too strong for us today.

Best of luck to the minors

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

lads, anyone know is it possible to watch minor match on line. out of country. WLR is back up plan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Try aertv.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭deisedude

lads, anyone know is it possible to watch minor match on line. out of country. WLR is back up plan

Try Hola Unblocker on Chrome. Set your IP to Ireland and try tg4 player

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Wind causing mayhem with swirling

• Advertisement

Getting absolutely **** all off this ref

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Are most people here Dublin based ?

watching on tg4 online

Extra time. Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

Crazy tactics at first half ..but great changes after half time. A fair result. If they play like the second half in the replay they should win. Kk in real trouble in last ten mins

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

Extra time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

The GAA ‏@officialgaa 41 secs
    Extra-time in the @ElectricIreland #GAA Minor Semi-Final means the senior game between @KilkennyCLG & @LimerickCLG will throw-in at 3.45pm

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Please lads don't let it slip away...
    Btw Nolan is some keeper for a 16yr old jesus

That's that anyway. Touch simply not good enough and too many silly decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Huge credit to both minor teams for a really gutsy performance. Some of the quality of hooking and blocking was excellent. Waterford seemed to run out of legs in extra time.

For Waterford to win, they needed two big performance from the two Currans in particular, unfortunately neither had a good day at the office.

Two sets of defences were on top. I'd was quite impressed by Billy Nolan bar two errors in extra time. Hard to believe he's under 16.

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Hard to credit that a man who won the All-Ireland last year with Waterford wasn't deemed good enough to manage this team this year. Instead we got this horror show in extra time. All our teams were cleaned out this year. We just don't have the talent we think we have.

I think you're being extremely harsh here.

Maybe, but should we be settling for mediocrity. Our style of play is to lackadaisical to beat any decent team. Kilkenny showed real aggression and that's what won this game today. To see a fellow score a goal after losing his hurley was unbelievable. If we settle in the belief that this performance was good enough we are deluding ourselves and we will always be losers.

In general I would agree with you. We generally lack ruthlessness.

Some of our decision making was poor. We tended to lose out on a lot of ball in 50:50 scrambles and in contact. But you'd also have to credit a lot of the hooking, blocking and wristy flicks.

Hard to credit that a man who won the All-Ireland last year with Waterford wasn't deemed good enough to manage this team this year. Instead we got this horror show in extra time. All our teams were cleaned out this year. We just don't have the talent we think we have.

You haven't a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I think the lack of depth on the panel was the issue. We just didn't have the reserves to call on in extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Jesus will you cut it out.

Oh right so, as sure that was a great Waterford display we only lost by 9 points. You haven't a clue of a winning mentality. Kilkenny scored 9 points in extra time and we failed to score. If that was a roll reversal do you think Kilkenny would be happy with that display. I'm not far from the Kilkenny border and already I can hear them say we wouldn't beat snow of a rope.

I never said it was a great Waterford display. They didn't lose the game because they don't have a winning mentality and to suggest that is ridiculous. Btw Derek Lyons is a better manager than Sean Power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

In fairness, the lads gave everything they had but the couple of goal chances didn't go in like last year and our shooting around the middle of the field and in half forward line was not up to scratch. We had the chance to win it in ordinary time but had some awful wides, even when we were a point up in the last couple of minutes.

Just wondering if Patrick Curran is fully fit. Even allowing for he being tightly marked he seems to have lost a yard of pace since last year.

Billy Nolan is a brilliant shot stopper, he showed that with that save in the second half and the other many great saves he has made all year.

However, if the minors did have a goalkeeping coach, it might have been an idea to get him working at practising striking off his right. He got in trouble a couple of times today because he didn't have that option. He's a great bit of stuff though and I think his future will lay in an outfield position.

Shane Bennett was outstanding but apart from that the lads who were on the team last year were a big disappointment. Fair play also to Molomby, he kept showing.

Not wanting to sound too harsh on young lads but maybe only about two or three might be in a position to make it at the highest level and if Derek McGrath thinks that any of them are ready to come on to the senior panel next year, as he hinted, he's in dreamland.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

I listened to Derek Lyons this morning on the radio and I thought the game was lost before we took to the field. Patrick Curran and Cormac Curran had a very bad day at the office and who is taken off only Shane Ryan who scored a lifeline goal. I thought that sent out a very poor confidence message to the rest of the panel. Incidently I thought the two lads were marked very well today and all the Kilkenny backs had a great game. We didn't have the players to match them.
    What game were u watching at all? Firstly shane ryan didnt get that goal, shane bennett did, shane ryan was taken off justifiably in my opinion because he was poor enough apart from the one point. And as for the game being lost before they took to the field???? The game went to extra time and kk only pulled away in the last 10. Colm roche also shud of been taken off alot sooner than he was, wasted alot of gud scoring chances

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Hard luck to our minors today

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Firstly a great effort by the lads, and hard luck to them for that. But i really think some of the players were trying to win the game by themselves and wasted great scoring oppurtunities! Also showed our lack of strength by bringing back on Shane Ryan, who had already proven he was not good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Think we can't argue with the result, better team won without question. We probably had a chance to snatch it at the death but that would have been an unfair outcome I think.

Kilkenny hurled much better as a team. Used the ball better and really shocked they left themselves in the position where they could have lost it. Would hate to see the management blamed for this, it would be an absolute cop out. When it mattered in normal time, they made the changes I thought myself were required (Patrick Curran out to centre forward to stop the double marking, Cormac Curran full to make it awkward, and one I hadn't even considered in Shane Bennett going back center back but he was imperious there.)

It almost got them over the line, and I think that's impressive given we were bested for a good 40-45 minutes over the course of the 60. Simply put I don't think this team is as good as last years by any means.

But fairplay, the character and effort they've put in has been tremendous and would be a team you'er happy to see represent Waterford. What you'd be looking at is players that have the capabilities to play Senior hurling for Waterford and there is no doubt that Patrick Curran and Shane Bennet have that an will get their chance. The rest of the players on the age have a bit of work to do as Alf said.

But just one final aside, I actually thought Cormac Curran was good today. Few poor shots when he went in full, but was everywhere in the first half when we hadn't much else and did cause problems at full.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,344 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We could of robbed the game today but we fell just short. I think if Limerick win next weekend in the other minor semi they will win the title.

At least we defended our title with honour and lost it in the same place we won it.

It could be a while before a Waterford team in any grade is back in Croke Park.

A big thanks to the minors team of 2013/14 for the good days out in Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Hard luck to the minors who battled away and just fell away in et. I don't think as good a squad as last year but they can be satisfied with making semi. Interesting that Donal Og referred to the issue that one player faced with his club. Absolute shocking treatment of player and club. Player and club were told not to play in championship game. Whole club fixture system has been a joke this year. Minors were only team that had a good run and yet only a couple of rounds played by a lot of clubs since April. Now the panic on and games on all over the place. Most clubs would be nearly better off just gearing season for august and leave pre season till April at least. Very poor running by board imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

Sean Power only wanted the position for 12 months i believe. and credit to him, he won the all ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

donnem33 wrote: »
    Sean Power only wanted the position for 12 months i believe. and credit to him, he won the all ireland!

Pretty sure you're wrong on that one? I was sure I read something about him putting his name forward and being disappointed about not being reconsidered at the back end of last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

Pretty sure you're wrong on that one? I was sure I read something about him putting his name forward and being disappointed about not being reconsidered at the back end of last year

I worked with sean last year and thats what he said. He was travelling from waterford to dublin a few times a week last year to work and train the minor team. He was also expecting his first kid in addition to starting out his own business - he said he wouldnt have the time. He is some character though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement