Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

How did Tallow beat DLS?

Ha Ha...I think we all know how :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Jarjohn wrote: »
    Ha Ha...I think we all know how :)
    I'm sick to the back teeth of people saying DLS threw the game against Tallow. Tallow beat basically the same DLS team earlier in the year. Jake Dillon missed a penalty and frees against BG just like he did against Tallow but no one saying DLS threw the BG game.
    All the group 1 teams beaten this weekend and people still think a Lismore who only won 2 games in that group would be contenders for championship. People will say Tallow were poor today and they were but FMW who finished second in group 1 took a bigger beating than Tallow and not a word will be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Would actually disagree on both accounts.

While I would install Ballygunner as favourites, I wouldn't say there will be a lot between them. Hard to read group game form against knockout stages but Abbeyside bet the well that day.

Can't see past Mount Sion in the other game surely. Ballyduff gave Passage an awful lot of it today.

The Waterford hurling championship must be one of the strangest around results wise.

Mount Sions result yestersay will flatter them a bit I dont want to insult our Tallow friend here but they are a very poor team compared to some of the Tallow teams of the past and are simply not at the same level. Sion will be favourites but Passage will fancy a real cut off them and Kelly will relish the chance to get one over them. I know Ballyduff are without Molumphy and Power but they are still always hard to beat and Passage will be flying high after that second half comeback.

Black Suir wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the Passage men went and shook Mickey Waddings hand after the game. He was their man of the match. The goal came as a result of a side line the linesman had awarded to Ballyduff but Wadding got him to reverse the call. There was Ballyduff players who went down with knocks in the second half, some may be to the head as they took their helmet off straight away, but he would not allow the game to be held up. Its not that long ago that he was the ref for an All-Ireland final, but has since got dropped off the panel and after today's show it was easy to see why. I asked a referee in the ground and contacted another from outside the county after the game if he should have stopped the game when a player was on the field without wearing a helmet. Both without taking a second to think about it said yes. They said the rule to referees is very clear. If a player is not wearing a helmet the game stops even if a player is in the process of shooting for a goal.

i hate people publicly slaying referees but jaysus thats shocking if its true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

robopaddy wrote: »
    Mount Sions result yestersay will flatter them a bit I dont want to insult our Tallow friend here but they are a very poor team compared to some of the Tallow teams of the past and are simply not at the same level. Sion will be favourites but Passage will fancy a real cut off them and Kelly will relish the chance to get one over them. I know Ballyduff are without Molumphy and Power but they are still always hard to beat and Passage will be flying high after that second half comeback.

Wouldn't disagree with that as such, but I think it was still a big win for Mount Sion. They gave De La Salle a good game in the semi last year. They've probably taken things for granted a couple of times in the last few years, Dunhill and Ballyduff the year before namely.

But think they have too much for Passage. Still, probably a better draw for Passage than either of the other two. Abbeyside look to have seriously turned a corner since the first day against Passage and would be mad to make up for that. And Ballygunner bet them with ease in the game I saw, and doubt much would change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Very interested to log on today and see that DLS are out. Great stuff from Ballygunner obviously, fairplay to them.

As regards Mullane at midfield, I would have thought anyone watching him last year with Waterford could see that he was performing better in a deeper role. I think he might have lost the slightest of edges off his turn of pace. But he excelled in that role at half forward against Clare, winning ball and running at them, and even more so against Cork when playing even deeper in midfield.

Obviously didn't see the game, but saw Mullane in that role with DLS and having him roam, pick up ball from deep and run at teams to me seemed like a clever use of him. He didn't play in the full forward line that oftnen with them anyway.

The issue seems to be more the fact he was injured and shouldn't have played or should have been taken off. But people shouldn't just try an add to that with something that's not really true just as an extra stick to beat McGrath with.

The issue wasn't really that Mullane was out the field, it was that he was out the field with other players who weren't really suitable in there. They had Brian Phelan rotating between full forward and win forward, who is a half back/midfielder for example. Should Mullane have been on the field at all - he looked ok for about 15 mins but then seemed to get a pull in the hamstring when he tried to turn a defender. How he lasted another hour after that is bizarre.

Was this DLS team as good as the last couple of years - I don't think so. In fairness to them, I think they were a bit unlucky with injuries on the day also. Daniels and Nevin were both out before the game. Keane was on his way back from injury and came off the bench. Madigan, Mullane, Keevers and then Dillon got injured during the game. Twomey has recently come home from the States apparently, and was miles off the pace. Very few teams could absorb those sort of losses.

I think my major criticism of McGrath at the weekend was that DLS did not seem to have a Plan B. They tippy-tappy short passing was not working for them at all, yet they persisted with it. When positional switches looked obvious - they weren't forthcoming either. Their stickwork was terrible, the players looked very flat, and with the huge amount of injuries I wonder what sort of training they were doing.

I'm also hearing that DLS went for two weekends away over the last couple of months also - which would conjure memories of the type of spending which took place during with the Harty Cup teams.

I'm being quite critical here on the face of it probably, but I'm judging the performance as if I was judging an intercounty performance. I would say that the players definitely failed to bring the goods on the day. There is very little room for error at that level.

All this talk about DLS, and hardly any about BG. They looked very composed. They worked whatever possession they had quite patiently. They looked to have developed a game plan and stuck to it.

hardybuck wrote: »
    The issue wasn't really that Mullane was out the field, it was that he was out the field with other players who weren't really suitable in there. They had Brian Phelan rotating between full forward and win forward, who is a half back/midfielder for example. Should Mullane have been on the field at all - he looked ok for about 15 mins but then seemed to get a pull in the hamstring when he tried to turn a defender. How he lasted another hour after that is bizarre.

Was this DLS team as good as the last couple of years - I don't think so. In fairness to them, I think they were a bit unlucky with injuries on the day also. Daniels and Nevin were both out before the game. Keane was on his way back from injury and came off the bench. Madigan, Mullane, Keevers and then Dillon got injured during the game. Twomey has recently come home from the States apparently, and was miles off the pace. Very few teams could absorb those sort of losses.

I think my major criticism of McGrath at the weekend was that DLS did not seem to have a Plan B. They tippy-tappy short passing was not working for them at all, yet they persisted with it. When positional switches looked obvious - they weren't forthcoming either. Their stickwork was terrible, the players looked very flat, and with the huge amount of injuries I wonder what sort of training they were doing.

I'm also hearing that DLS went for two weekends away over the last couple of months also - which would conjure memories of the type of spending which took place during with the Harty Cup teams.

I'm being quite critical here on the face of it probably, but I'm judging the performance as if I was judging an intercounty performance. I would say that the players definitely failed to bring the goods on the day. There is very little room for error at that level.

All this talk about DLS, and hardly any about BG. They looked very composed. They worked whatever possession they had quite patiently. They looked to have developed a game plan and stuck to it.

What do you think this result does for Derek McGraths credentials in getting the Waterford job? Many people on here seemed to think it was a no-brainer and that he should be installed immediately havent seen too many of them since Saturday

Interesting stuff Hardy, appreciate all the info I can get on this weekends games as I am away.

But if DLS are as short handed as they seem to have been from your post, how much praise do Ballygunner deserve for not being able to beat them in 60 minutes?

I know there is a lot of hurling left to play, and really just like the inter county this year would take a brave man to call it, but having seen how impressive Ballinacourty have looked in the Football I wonder could we be looking at the first (to my knowledge anyway) Senior County Double this year?

The Abbeyside/Ballinacourty club probably won't like me saying that of course, as they will have no easy games from the semis onwards but it's interesting.

What do you think this result does for Derek McGraths credentials in getting the Waterford job? Many people on here seemed to think it was a no-brainer and that he should be installed immediately havent seen too many of them since Saturday

I'd say it was more that there was a lot of people thinking McGrath would be the next Waterford manager based on rumours that the players have him as the preferred choice.

But certainly his prospects have to have taken a hit after that game. Possibly even his desire to take on the extra responisibility will have reduced.

Interesting stuff Hardy, appreciate all the info I can get on this weekends games as I am away.

But if DLS are as short handed as they seem to have been from your post, how much praise do Ballygunner deserve for not being able to beat them in 60 minutes?

I know there is a lot of hurling left to play, and really just like the inter county this year would take a brave man to call it, but having seen how impressive Ballinacourty have looked in the Football I wonder could we be looking at the first (to my knowledge anyway) Senior County Double this year?

The Abbeyside/Ballinacourty club probably won't like me saying that of course, as they will have no easy games from the semis onwards but it's interesting.

No problem - as I'm away myself a lot of the year I greatly appreciate a lot of the info around here myself.

I would say that BG were an inferior team on paper, despite the DLS injuries. Both teams looked rusty and a bit hesitant, DLS looked like they would break free eventually but never did. BG to their credit made the most of whatever possession or chances came their way. They slowed down every free, and made sure they converted all of those - DLS missed at least three routine frees for example. O'Keeffe was worth at least 7 points to them in saves, and then his puck outs were excellent as well.

I think BG will definitely gain an awful lot of confidence after coming through that game. They are normally extremely tough to beat in this sort of scenario also. They're shrewd enough on the sideline, and will have a large home support. I saw a few Abbeyside lads in Walsh Park doing their homework, and no doubt the BG lads were doing the same on Sunday.

Do Abbeyside have the big game mentality or nous to come through in this sort of fixture? This may be the difference between the sides. Should be a great game.

• Advertisement

I don't think it'll make a massive amount of difference. There were plenty of question marks beforehand, now there will be more. However, at the end of the day, there are few lads who have been around as much success as him in fairness to the guy.

I would be uncomfortable if he was appointed. In an ideal world I'd like if he had an opportunity to become part of a strong management team as a selector to gain more experience, or for him to do another year in DLS before maybe a stint with a Carlow or someone like that.

I may be a bit unfair here, but my gut tells me there are a few mistakes in him yet which I'd like to be seen made somewhere other than the Waterford setup.

I don't think it'll make a massive amount of difference. There were plenty of question marks beforehand, now there will be more. However, at the end of the day, there are few lads who have been around as much success as him in fairness to the guy.

I would be uncomfortable if he was appointed. In an ideal world I'd like if he had an opportunity to become part of a strong management team as a selector to gain more experience, or for him to do another year in DLS before maybe a stint with a Carlow or someone like that.

I may be a bit unfair here, but my gut tells me there are a few mistakes in him yet which I'd like to be seen made somewhere other than the Waterford setup.

yea. that makes sense. Basically he might be a potential candidate in the future but definetly not ready for it at the moment. In an ideal world if you really wanted to blood him you could get a Donal O'Grady or someone in charge for a year or 2 and have mcgrath in the backroom team and then maybe hed be better equipped to take over, or maybe a spell with the co. u21s and intermediates aswell but Im guessing he'll probably see all of the above roles as a step backwards from his current role.

Do Abbeyside have the big game mentality or nous to come through in this sort of fixture? This may be the difference between the sides. Should be a great game.

Who did they beat to make the 2008 final?

They didn't lose to DLS by much that day, losing out in both finals that year. They have the experience of winning two football County finals, and while I know the Senior final would be better attended I still think that would stand to them.

Their hurling has clearly improved too. Also, given they had lost (although narrowly) in their last 3 games against Fourmilewater before yesterday winning that game would do them a lot of good. I have no idea how that game planned out, needless to say was shocked to see the result but the manner of the win suggests they mean business this year.

I'd welcome a change in the winners of the County Championship. All due respect to Mount Sion, just because they haven't won a County since 2003 or 2004 I wouldn't see that as change. Don't think Passage will do it, but if they do then I think a few people will have to seriously reassess their opinions of Peter Queally.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

That's all fair comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

So any white smoke from the County Board meeting on a manager or are they going to form a group to think about it putting together a short list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

will we get anything of the teams objections?

Missed most of the game, first time seeing the highlights. What a team, some smile on my face now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

will there be a dvd coming out celebrating the minor win ??

id imagine a similar dvd to Chasing Glory dvd set that came out a couple of years ago

PTH2009 wrote: »
    will there be a dvd coming out celebrating the minor win ??

id imagine a similar dvd to Chasing Glory dvd set that came out a couple of years ago

I think the CB could use the moneyspinner, smart choice would be to have it ready for crimbo, which gives em 6-8 weeks to film and edit it

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I think the CB could use the moneyspinner, smart choice would be to have it ready for crimbo, which gives em 6-8 weeks to film and edit it

yeah it be a good seller for xmas. The best we can hope for id say is a 3 disc dvd showing highlights of the munster championship games and possibily 2 discs with the full All Ireland Semi vs Kilkeny and the All Ireland final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

I'm sick to the back teeth of people saying DLS threw the game against Tallow. Tallow beat basically the same DLS team earlier in the year. Jake Dillon missed a penalty and frees against BG just like he did against Tallow but no one saying DLS threw the BG game.
    All the group 1 teams beaten this weekend and people still think a Lismore who only won 2 games in that group would be contenders for championship. People will say Tallow were poor today and they were but FMW who finished second in group 1 took a bigger beating than Tallow and not a word will be said.
    It very clear that DLS could have fielded a much stronger team but chose not to. I don't see how anyone can dispute that. Interesting that's your first post....well as mickotallow anyway :)

PTH2009 wrote: »
    yeah it be a good seller for xmas. The best we can hope for id say is a 3 disc dvd showing highlights of the munster championship games and possibily 2 discs with the full All Ireland Semi vs Kilkeny and the All Ireland final

be far more interested in interviews from inside the camp than spitting out some coverage that can be found found around

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

A 6 man committee has been put in place to nominate a senior hurling manager, 4 executive officers along with two ex players have been tasked with finding the right man. Clubs have until next Monday only to nominate, and candidates must declare their interest before being nominated, it is understood funds would be available for an "outside" manager towards travel expenses etc...

Watch this space........

A 6 man committee has been put in place to nominate a senior hurling manager, 4 executive officers along with two ex players have been tasked with finding the right man. Clubs have until next Monday only to nominate, and candidates must declare their interest before being nominated, it is understood funds would be available for an "outside" manager towards travel expenses etc...

Watch this space........

Any preferences for an outside man beside the usual obvious names that are thrown around for every vacant job?

Joe Dooley or Martin Fogarty would be great candidates imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Any preferences for an outside man beside the usual obvious names that are thrown around for every vacant job?

Fogarty would be a good choice, I'd like to see him considered but did he not retire from the KK setup or what? If that's the case, he probably wouldn't put his name forward.

Watch this space........

Any idea where this is coming from? Is somebody backing this financially or just rumour? I know in previous years there were a few local businessmen who backed Davy (Tom Murphy who owns the Volkswagen car dealership in the city was one I know of). If funds are available for an outside manager, it would very much increase our options as to who we could try get.
    AI minor final vids
    Missed most of the game, first time seeing the highlights. What a team, some smile on my face now

Sound, was only looking on Youtube yesterday for vids of the final but didn't find any.

I don't know too much about Fogarty's credentials as a manager - it may or may not suit him.

I would give cautious approval to Dooley. He's an All Ireland winner himself (albeit not in one of the most professional counties!) and did a decent job with Offaly. Offaly also tend to play nice wristy hurling as well, they always seem to be excellent at the basics - hooking, blocking and stickwork. That might complement Waterford well.

I would give cautious approval to Dooley. He's an All Ireland winner himself (albeit not in one of the most professional counties!) and did a decent job with Offaly. Offaly also tend to play nice wristy hurling as well, they always seem to be excellent at the basics - hooking, blocking and stickwork. That might complement Waterford well.

Im surprised some of the bigger counties never looked at Dooley after he finished with Offaly I thought he did great work with them at a time when quality-wise they were at a very low-ebb. Im always very impressed with him when giving analysis, very articulate, he was co-commentating for the minor final on RTE radio 1 and I was very impressed with his knowledge of all the players that day and their strengths and weaknesses etc. Really knows his stuff.

Hard to know if hed be interested in outside intercounty management, with his own son being involved with Offaly and the like. I know hes very much involved in underage coaching and development in his own county but hes definetly a top class hurling man and Ive no doubt would do a serious job with us

Im surprised some of the bigger counties never looked at Dooley after he finished with Offaly I thought he did great work with them at a time when quality-wise they were at a very low-ebb. Im always very impressed with him when giving analysis, very articulate, he was co-commentating for the minor final on RTE radio 1 and I was very impressed with his knowledge of all the players that day and their strengths and weaknesses etc. Really knows his stuff.

Hard to know if hed be interested in outside intercounty management, with his own son being involved with Offaly and the like. I know hes very much involved in underage coaching and development in his own county but hes definetly a top class hurling man and Ive no doubt would do a serious job with us

Just in case any committee members happen to be reading...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Hand on heart, Would the people of Waterford city accept a Kilkenny Man in charge of a Waterford team. I think in the past there would be a better chance of a Mount Sion supporter accepting a Ballygunner man, a Ballygunner man accepting a Mount Sion man, or even some De La Salle man accepting anyone other than a De La Salle man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Cake Man wrote: »
    Fogarty would be a good choice, I'd like to see him considered but did he not retire from the KK setup or what? If that's the case, he probably wouldn't put his name forward.

Any idea where this is coming from? Is somebody backing this financially or just rumour? I know in previous years there were a few local businessmen who backed Davy (Tom Murphy who owns the Volkswagen car dealership in the city was one I know of). If funds are available for an outside manager, it would very much increase our options as to who we could try get.

Sound, was only looking on Youtube yesterday for vids of the final but didn't find any.

Maybe Murphy or Barrett could provide a new car for an outside manager to get him to Waterford and back a few times a week and Paddy Joe could throw in a fill of petrol or diesel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement