Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

cul beag wrote: »
    Maher has been mentioned as part of the new set up with Dublin. I would imagine his mind was made up alot easier when he saw some of the s**t that went on last year. Obviously having little input,coupled with the addition of Mr.Greene to the backroom team i would say he was on the first stage coach out of town!
    Stong rumours today of possible retirements and also of players leaving the panel aswell. Then again these things have a habit of snowballing when one piece of bad news emerges from the camp so we might be better off waiting for concrete evidence.

Good thing you waited so

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Good thing you waited so

Watch this space my friend,watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,335 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Reckon the brick, Seamus, Shane Walsh and Stephen molumphy will go.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Reckon the brick, Seamus, Shane Walsh and Stephen molumphy will go.

Think Shane Walsh might hang on, Molumphy will stay. I would be surprised if Prender stayed and I wouldn't like to second guess Brick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Watch this space my friend,watch this space.

Its still September.... from my experience plenty of guys feel like they haven't the stomach to play on and come the new year are raring to go again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Can we stop watching the space now ? , Can we?.

Can we stop watching the space now ? , Can we?.

Oh keep watching

Pure attention seeker that lad... Runs to the tell the internet his vague rumours to show he is in the know.

But better not to talk about it, shhhhh!
    The internet can keep a secret right?

Slobbery wrote: »
    Oh keep watching

Pure attention seeker that lad... Runs to the tell the internet his vague rumours to show he is in the know.

Your right,dead right. If only you could see the smirk on my face!! Like shooting fish in a barrel playing with ye! As the chant goes " Derek McGrath's blue and white army"! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Oh keep watching

Genuinely moved with your public show of affection towards me but you'll have to stop it now or people will talk! Xxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Dont mind the knockers. Serious problems exist with the county senior management team , how derek forced his way in, the way the team is playing, type of training been done and the waste of underage talent in the county. Trying to pretend all is ok will not change the under achievement we continue to experience. If we want success mistakes need to be recognised and lessons learned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

At least with Willie Maher stepping down there will be change. Let's be honest we don't need him and he doesn't need us now. I'm sure a role with the Dubs or Tipp U-21s will suit him better. He was given the role of trainer after it was decided Jimmy Payne and Pat Flanagan were not required and Flannery got the coaching role. Can we go back to the two lads now to get the fitness right, I hope so but the bridge is probably burned. Maybe it a funding issue that Derek choose not to use the lads obvious expertise. It was a bad move bearing in mind Pat Flanagan also had a 3 year plan for preparing this team

On retirements, whats the big deal!!. Seamus is 35 next year what more do ye want from him, Shane Walsh is 33 next year and almost always injured at the best of times, Brick too approaching 33 if he stays we will still have to look at alternatives for CB etc. anyway, Molumphy has too many commitments to be on the bench but an injury free season would see him back in the reckoning. After that there are a couple of more senior players like Nagle who can still have a role, Foley again injury free season would be a massive asset, Lawlor shouldn't be ruled out after a one difficult game.

I will despair if Taghe Burke and Austin Gleeson and Colin Dunford retire until then I'll hold off on the doomsday scenario. We have about 40 players between minor this year and U-21 2009 that will be the future of this team let's see how they go.

Genuinely moved with your public show of affection towards me but you'll have to stop it now or people will talk! Xxxxx

All I can promise is that I will no longer reply to your idiotic posts

3ships wrote: »
    At least with Willie Maher stepping down there will be change. Let's be honest we don't need him and he doesn't need us now. I'm sure a role with the Dubs or Tipp U-21s will suit him better. He was given the role of trainer after it was decided Jimmy Payne and Pat Flanagan were not required and Flannery got the coaching role. Can we go back to the two lads now to get the fitness right, I hope so but the bridge is probably burned. Maybe it a funding issue that Derek choose not to use the lads obvious expertise. It was a bad move bearing in mind Pat Flanagan also had a 3 year plan for preparing this team

On retirements, whats the big deal!!. Seamus is 35 next year what more do ye want from him, Shane Walsh is 33 next year and almost always injured at the best of times, Brick too approaching 33 if he stays we will still have to look at alternatives for CB etc. anyway, Molumphy has too many commitments to be on the bench but an injury free season would see him back in the reckoning. After that there are a couple of more senior players like Nagle who can still have a role, Foley again injury free season would be a massive asset, Lawlor shouldn't be ruled out after a one difficult game.

I will despair if Taghe Burke and Austin Gleeson and Colin Dunford retire until then I'll hold off on the doomsday scenario. We have about 40 players between minor this year and U-21 2009 that will be the future of this team let's see how they go.

You are right - these lads have to retire at some time and it is time to build a new team.
    Anyway whoever it is walking away we just have to get on with it and move on with new guys. That's just the nature of it

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

We need a new management team with EXPERTISE! End of story!! How long more are some people on this forum going to delude themselves? Unfortunately we have not got the required clean out at management level!! We have not got the change the county requires!

I suppose we'll have to watch this space for the next managerial upheaval.

I see Phil Fanning reports Philip Mahony back for Ballygunner.
    Expecting the two city teams to progress in Walsh Park. Hope to be wrong.

Jim Greene cud take over from willie maher. With Paul kinnerk gone frm the clare set up Derek should go for him

Are de la salle playing dungarvan in the semi finals or is there going to be a draw after the matches today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

I suppose we'll have to watch this space for the next managerial upheaval.

I see Phil Fanning reports Philip Mahony back for Ballygunner.
    Expecting the two city teams to progress in Walsh Park. Hope to be wrong.
    Philip Mahony is back already? He broke his leg and dislocated his ankle? I thought if he made the league next year would be good progress!

Mount Sion 1-21
    Abbeyside 0-15 Full Time!

Didn't see that coming!

Lismore 2-12- ballygunner 3-20

Semi final draw

Dungarvan vs Ballygunner ( sun 21 sep 7pm)
    Mount sion vs de la Salle ( sat 20 sep 5.30)

Ballygunner vs mount sion final for me

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

You are right - these lads have to retire at some time and it is time to build a new team.
    Anyway whoever it is walking away we just have to get on with it and move on with new guys. That's just the nature of it

I hope the retirements don't happen - I think they can all still make a contribution , even if its from the bench. Molumphy didn't do himself any favours by going for his own scores against Wexford last year when he came on but Seamus Prendergast changed the game. Experience counts - especially with the real physical battles we will have in 1B next year.

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Philip Mahony is back already? He broke his leg and dislocated his ankle? I thought if he made the league next year would be good progress!

That was qualified by an 'if passed fit' but like that didn't expect him to be mentioned till next year.

Wasn't at the games today but will be next week tho a double header would have been ideal!!

Did Martin O' Neill score much from play today? Waterford Gaa didn't really say if they were from frees or not.....12 points not a bad performance!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Really good performance from Mount Sion today. I saw them a few weeks ago and they were poor - different story today. They were well up for the battle and put together some really good moves at times. While the Abbeyside challenge is hardly likely to be as stiff as that posed by DLS, on today's evidence Mount Sion will be closer to them next weekend than i would have thought before today's game.

The second game wasnt great really. Lismore did most of the hurling in the first half but didnt put the scores up, 1-4 each at the break. The second half was livelier, Paul Coughlan red carded a couple of minutes after coming on as a sub for an off the ball incident. The Gunners upped their game and pulled away despite being at a numerical disadvantage. Good to see Philip Mahony make an appearance in the second half and hopefully Maurice Shanahan's leg injury isnt too bad - he didnt look great leaving the field.

2 interesting semi finals next weekend. Likely to be a DLS v Ballygunner county final i think.

Fancy Dungarvan to beat Ballygunner on Sunday. DLS and Mt.Sion will be too close to call. Surely the old boro will have learned from their first round game against the gunners and they have improved all around as a team since then so I think they have a hugh opportunity of taking this especially as its on in Fraher field.
    Shud be tasty in Walsh park aswell and I think mt sion have a massive opportunity of turning DLS over as they're not firing properly yet so could come undone. As I said though it should be very close. Donnelly and Mullane double for the first goals!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Fancy Dungarvan to beat Ballygunner on Sunday. DLS and Mt.Sion will be too close to call. Surely the old boro will have learned from their first round game against the gunners and they have improved all around as a team since then so I think they have a hugh opportunity of taking this especially as its on in Fraher field.
    Shud be tasty in Walsh park aswell and I think mt sion have a massive opportunity of turning DLS over as they're not firing properly yet so could come undone. As I said though it should be very close. Donnelly and Mullane double for the first goals!!

I reckon Ballygunner will beat Dungarvan with a few points to spare. They would be my favourites at this point. DLS stuttered to a win against Tallow - they'll need to be a lot better if they want to beat Mount Sion.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Tough opener for Waterford in Division 1B next year, away to Limerick on 14.02.15

• Registered Users Posts: 19 1club1county

Vèry poor finish to minor league wth Dungarvan and Mount Sion not fulfilling their fixture. Sion are out of it but what are Dungarvan up to? You would think that they would have the strength in depth, is it mind games, not wanting to show their hand?

February 14: v Limerick (a): February 21: v Laois (h); March 8: v Offaly (a); March 15: v Antrim (h); March 22: v Wexford (a).

How come we've three away games again this year?

Will probably get to most of those games with the exception of Offaly but tough enough having Wexford and Limerick away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭blue note

Very tough financially. We got the two counties who will bring fewest and attract fewest supporters. I'd say the county board are sickened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Podge Collins will be focusing on football only next year while Paul Kinnerk is taking a year out. I'd say 2015 will be Davy's last year managing Clare. The U21 management team are waiting for the inevitable.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/3/1809141059-fitzgerald-shakes-up-banner-backroom-team/

Tipp and Kilkenny made 250,000 each from the league last year. I'd say we will be lucky to breakeven from the league. Cant see there been much interest anyway unless the negative one and two man forward line changes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement