Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Podge Collins will be focusing on football only next year while Paul Kinnerk is taking a year out. I'd say 2015 will be Davy's last year managing Clare. The U21 management team are waiting for the inevitable.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/3/1809141059-fitzgerald-shakes-up-banner-backroom-team/

Collins announcement is old news at this stage. Why would Clare give him a term up to 2018? After winning their fourth All Ireland in their history, it's amazing the criticism he gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hardybuck wrote: »
    Collins announcement is old news at this stage. Why would Clare give him a term up to 2018? After winning their fourth All Ireland in their history, it's amazing the criticism he gets.

Entirely self provoked.

Entirely self provoked.

Much of it is, but not all. I remember them getting massive criticism in the year they won the All Ireland for their short passing game, and then suddenly it clicked.

The Clare people are very, very vocal as many people would have observed over the years. Louis Mulqueen recalled a woman coming up to him after the Munster semi in 2013, who threw a match programme into his face, and told him to tell Davy to shove his short passing game up his a***.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Vèry poor finish to minor league wth Dungarvan and Mount Sion not fulfilling their fixture. Sion are out of it but what are Dungarvan up to? You would think that they would have the strength in depth, is it mind games, not wanting to show their hand?

Dungarvan should be thrown out of the competition for givin a walkover it's not acceptable they done the same in the U16 this year gave a walkover to Ballygunner without even askin for a re fixture yet they are in semi's aswell it's not fair on the other teams in competition and no excuse for it. It's obvious to they wanted to avoid playin Passage (who bey them already) in the semi and much rather a crack of Ballygunner (who I'm led to believe also put in for the game to be off). Sorry to waffle but any team who gives a walkover without trying to re fix games should be punished

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

February 14: v Limerick (a): February 21: v Laois (h); March 8: v Offaly (a); March 15: v Antrim (h); March 22: v Wexford (a).

How come we've three away games again this year?

Will probably get to most of those games with the exception of Offaly but tough enough having Wexford and Limerick away.

On the plus side it should mean a home Q.F yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

February 14: v Limerick (a): February 21: v Laois (h); March 8: v Offaly (a); March 15: v Antrim (h); March 22: v Wexford (a).

How come we've three away games again this year?

Will probably get to most of those games with the exception of Offaly but tough enough having Wexford and Limerick away.

3rd year in a row with 3 away games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

On the plus side it should mean a home Q.F yeah?

A bit too confident. Unless things improve can't see us beating limerick or wexford away.

Surely the gameplan can't be so negative next year. Imagine us playing extra defenders against the likes of Antrim and Offaly. Would be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

A bit too confident. Unless things improve can't see us beating limerick or wexford away.

Surely the gameplan can't be so negative next year. Imagine us playing extra defenders against the likes of Antrim and Offaly. Would be crazy.

Nothing to do with confidence, dont 4 of the 6 make the q.f against the 1A teams. No matter how bad things are I cant see Waterford in the relagation zone in that group.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

How can we keep getting shafted with these fixtures? Limerick, Offaly and Wexford all away from home. Do we have any county board representative who can stand up and ensure this sort of thing isnt allowed to happen year in year out. Kilkenny and Clare away 2 years in a row, more away fixtures than home it seems every year. You could see these fixtures coming a mile off. Cork, Kilkenny, etc just wouldnt allow it to happen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭blue note

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    How can we keep getting shafted with these fixtures? Limerick, Offaly and Wexford all away from home. Do we have any county board representative who can stand up and ensure this sort of thing isnt allowed to happen year in year out. Kilkenny and Clare away 2 years in a row, more away fixtures than home it seems every year. You could see these fixtures coming a mile off. Cork, Kilkenny, etc just wouldnt allow it to happen to them.

It's a draw, no the county board can't affect it. Just like they couldn't affect us getting a semi final draw in Munster and avoiding tipp 4 years in a row.

Swings and roundabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

blue note wrote: »
    It's a draw, no the county board can't affect it. Just like they couldn't affect us getting a semi final draw in Munster and avoiding tipp 4 years in a row.

Swings and roundabouts.

Is it the same kind of draw that was on The Sunday Game a few years ago for the qualifiers when the fixtures appeared on screen just before the draw took place?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Lads we had the same problem last year when the fixtures came out.
    After playing Dublin away in 2013, we (Limerick) were due to play Cork at home in 2014 as it was assumed Cork would take Dublin's place in the fixture rota.

However, the GAA changed the rules to say Cork would take Carlow's (I think they were relegated in 13) place in the 2014 rota.
    As no team was relegated, I presume you take on Cork's rota. Cork last year had Limerick, Wexford and Offaly at home.

Hope that clears it up, I said I would explain after reading the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭blue note

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Is it the same kind of draw that was on The Sunday Game a few years ago for the qualifiers when the fixtures appeared on screen just before the draw took place?

There's always a delay with live streams. The teams were probably drawn out and someone clicked enter on the graphic a couple of seconds too soon.

Honestly, some people are just dying for a conspiracy!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

cul beag wrote: »
    Watch this space my friend,watch this space.
    From what I am hearing you are correct!

KevIRL wrote: »
    3rd year in a row with 3 away games?

No only second, we had Cork, Tipp and Galway at home in 2013.

Collins is on the way to obscurity.

culbaire wrote: »

And Cathal McInerney?

And Cathal McInerney?

I think Clare will make an impression on Munster in football next year. Cathal McInerney has joined too. If the Gooch and Tommy Walsh returned for Kerry though that would strengthen them and also Cork can;t be as bad as they were this year.

Davy has managed to get on the bad side of an awful lot of people in a short space of time in Clare despite his achievements as a player and manager. It would be harsh if they got rid of him this year but another bad year like this year and I'm not sure he'd survive it.

Really looking forward to the match in Walsh Park today, should be a great game. Haven't seen much of the club championship this year so will be interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Mount Sion 2-17
    DLS 0-16

Full time result!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,335 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Congrats to mount Sion better team throughout the game, Austin Gleeson had a masterclass and marked john Mullane out of the game, hope they go on to win the title now

The Waterford will play at home to the Clare champions at the end of October and then if they win that its the limerick champions in the semi finals.

Was very impressed with the way Mount Sion tried to play the game, albeit the execution was lackluster at times. They certainly showed the willingness to persevere however and brought each other into play really well through out.

Stephen Roche was excellent in midfield, scored about 1-03 I'd say? Tony Browne is just some man, 0-3 from play I think and one absolutely super point without catching it in the second half.

Austin Gleeson as has been mentioned had a great game, at one point first half he caught in ball inside his own 65 and must have run about 60 metres with it before putting it over off the hurley. Made a few of those driving runs and I thought generally used it quite well. Sean Ryan was a nuisance inside and scored a great goal too. Owen Whelan did very well at wing back too, tidy out and very strong.

Iggy also made one or two good saves but think he needs to be careful with the puckouts. Eoin McGrath is in the right place at center forward but he faded out of the game for a long time before scoring the clinching point at the end to put Sion 4 up.

His touch isn't good enough, and he's not very composed. It means that he really needs a lot of space and to be heading towards goal. He still has great pace so can contribute that way.

DLS are a bit out of sorts. There really was little desire from them today. Never seen Mullane hit so many wides. I thought Madigan had Chris Ryan in trouble once or twice but they didn't threaten much otherwise, though Dillon played fairly well from open play but missed some crucial frees where his counterpart Martin O Neill was assasin like. Shane McNulty was also good I thought.

Would have been a travesty if Mount Sion had lost because I thought Pat Casey was quite unfair on them, some very questionable decisions. All in all Mount Sion have a great chance of breaking their longest ever duck but think where they could fall down is that little bit of class in the forwards that I think is more evident in Dungarvan and especially Ballygunner.

I think Clare will make an impression on Munster in football next year. Cathal McInerney has joined too. If the Gooch and Tommy Walsh returned for Kerry though that would strengthen them and also Cork can;t be as bad as they were this year.

Davy has managed to get on the bad side of an awful lot of people in a short space of time in Clare despite his achievements as a player and manager. It would be harsh if they got rid of him this year but another bad year like this year and I'm not sure he'd survive it.

Really looking forward to the match in Walsh Park today, should be a great game. Haven't seen much of the club championship this year so will be interesting to see.
    Clare is never going to win a Senior Football All Ireland. These players will regret this in years to come. What a waste of talent!

And Cathal McInerney?
    He is just wasting his time playing football.

Cappoquin will play Ballinameela in the West Intermediate final. I'd say Ballinameela have never won that? When was the last time Cappoquin won it?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Cornerstonelad

14th November 1976

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Looks like the county final could be tonight in Fraher Field?. DLS haven't been good all yr and credit to mt sion for doing a very professional job last night but the signs were there from earlier in the championship. Lost to passage and struggled to beat an average Tallow team in the q/final it was always going to be hard to turn it on overnight and produce something special.
    Surely both teams tonight will be fancied in the final which ever team prevails as both have beaten Mt.sion comfortably in the earlier rounds. In saying that i would imagine once the sion boys get the bit between their teeth come final day they'll be no pushover.
    Joxer and his contingent to come out on top for me tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Ballygunner through 0-17 to 1-12. Good final ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

Long time follower 1st time poster...// ny1 kno y d lights went used 2n??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

cookey123 wrote: »
    Long time follower 1st time poster...// ny1 kno y d lights went used 2n??

at a guess.....cost

the county board are effectively broke!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement