Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

God that was poor stuff tonight. Thought Dungarvan would come out on top but they're lacking some physicality up front. For Cormac Curran's size he's totally ineffective in the air and that is there problem throughout the forward line. They never got the space they've been awarded against the lesser opposition throughout the year tonight and that ultimately was they're downfall. Shane O Sullivan was probably Ballygunner's best player,along with Stephen O keeffe fullback,over the hour.
    Hard to find any new players for our county panel looking at both semi finals. Transition period could be extended for a longer period!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

cookey123 wrote: »
    Long time follower 1st time poster...// ny1 kno y d lights went used 2n??

Agreement by both teams not to use the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

IanVW wrote: »
    Agreement by both teams not to use the lights
    Ah rite..... Fair enuf BT they wer needed..... Thought d dung num 2 had a good game.....v tenacious on a tuff opponent... Also there isn't too many ball winners n d senior champ n regards d senior team

Ah rite..... Fair enuf BT they wer needed..... Thought d dung num 2 had a good game.....v tenacious on a tuff opponent... Also there isn't too many ball winners n d senior champ n regards d senior team

Would agree with you Aaron Donnelly was very good corner back tonight. On a line where they feared all yr that they would have there problems they more than held their own,its further out the field the problems are.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

I think Clare will make an impression on Munster in football next year. Cathal McInerney has joined too. If the Gooch and Tommy Walsh returned for Kerry though that would strengthen them and also Cork can;t be as bad as they were this year.

Davy has managed to get on the bad side of an awful lot of people in a short space of time in Clare despite his achievements as a player and manager. It would be harsh if they got rid of him this year but another bad year like this year and I'm not sure he'd survive it.

Really looking forward to the match in Walsh Park today, should be a great game. Haven't seen much of the club championship this year so will be interesting to see.
    The Collins brothers opted for football because their father is the football manager. They are wasting their time. Davy is correct. If you are serious about winning an All Ireland hurling title you must give hurling 100% commitment. Cork have learned that to their cost. Clare footballers are never going to win a Senior Football All Ireland. These players will regret this in years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

culbaire wrote: »
    The Collins brothers opted for football because their father is the football manager. They are wasting their time. Davy is correct. If you are serious about winning an All Ireland hurling title you must give hurling 100% commitment. Cork have learned that to their cost. Clare footballers are never going to win a Senior Football All Ireland. These players will regret this in years to come.

Maybe they enjoy intercounty football more so why would they regret it? It wasn't an issue when Podge was nominated for POTY in 2013. He hasn't chosen football on the basis that he thinks he will get more medals in it than from hurling obviously. It's an amateur sport, if you're good enough then you should be allowed to play both.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Great to see you making the leap from a reader to a poster but seriously, please don't post in textspeak any more, it's absolutely brutal to read. It's not that much more effort to type "the" instead of "d", likewise "to" as opposed to "2", "enough" as opposed to "enuf" etc etc

Up the Deise, cheers.

jive wrote: »
    Maybe they enjoy intercounty football more so why would they regret it? It wasn't an issue when Podge was nominated for POTY in 2013. He hasn't chosen football on the basis that he thinks he will get more medals in it than from hurling obviously. It's an amateur sport, if you're good enough then you should be allowed to play both.
    Both Collins brothers have chosen football because their father is the Clare football manager. Davy correctly was not prepared to use dual players. How can dual players compete with the likes of Kilkenny? Was speaking to a very prominent former Cork player recently who bemoaned the fact that Cork had been using dual players. Hurling and football are two completely different games. Note how the Dublin football management would not tolerate the use of dual players!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

Anyone know why so many minor and U16 hurling matches were conceded this week? Just looking at the results email this morning. 12 U16 walkovers and 7 minor walkovers and mostly in div 1 & 2.

Guessing it is because the adult board forced in a full round of minor the evening after a full U16 round, but maybe other posters have a better idea. Crazy situation though for a county that won a minor all-ireland last year to have 19 walkovers in 1 week at such important levels for future development.

Anyone any wisdom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

The Camogie County finals were played over the weekend and the skill levels on display were very high, well done to Lismore on winning the senior and Cappoquin on winning the Intermediate title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Anyone know why so many minor and U16 hurling matches were conceded this week? Just looking at the results email this morning. 12 U16 walkovers and 7 minor walkovers and mostly in div 1 & 2.

Guessing it is because the adult board forced in a full round of minor the evening after a full U16 round, but maybe other posters have a better idea. Crazy situation though for a county that won a minor all-ireland last year to have 19 walkovers in 1 week at such important levels for future development.

Anyone any wisdom?

It was the last round of fixtures before the semi finals were to be finalised and it was walkovers from teams who mathematically couldn't progress. There is a lot of pressure being put on players from various teams like Minor, Dean Ryan,Harty Cup so teams that were knocked out couldn't fulfill fixtures unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SkipFC

Lights were on afterwards as there appeared to be some team training on it, was the same case Friday night as Dungarvan trained on the pitch with lights after the Melleray v Clashmore game, seems silly when teams actually playing aren't allowed onto the pitch until 10 minutes before throw-in

SkipFC wrote: »
    Lights were on afterwards as there appeared to be some team training on it, was the same case Friday night as Dungarvan trained on the pitch with lights after the Melleray v Clashmore game, seems silly when teams actually playing aren't allowed onto the pitch until 10 minutes before throw-in

Apparently it was Ballygunner minors that trained under the lights afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

blue note wrote: »
    It's a draw, no the county board can't affect it. Just like they couldn't affect us getting a semi final draw in Munster and avoiding tipp 4 years in a row.

Swings and roundabouts.

Its not really a draw. If you have 2 home games in a given division this year you have 3 home games in that same division next year. Waterford were relegated as we all know from division 1A this year and were replaced by Cork. Cork in this year's Division 1B had three home games and two away. Had they not won promotion in 2015 they would have had 2 home and 3 away games in division 1B. Because we swap places with them, Waterford next year will have the two home and three away games Cork would have had they not won promotion. In 2016 if Waterford are not promoted, and the format remains the same, Waterford will have three home games and two away.

Anyone any wisdom?

Guess the timing of the games is not a help. Its a little madness to be asking lads to tog out this time of the year having had a day in school. If games must go ahead, then they should be arranged that they are all local enough derby games. For a lad to travel from the west to the east or vice versa is not really acceptable at this time of the year. The summer is long enough and we dont play games in it for some stupid reason. Even for a player to have to travel say from the middle of the county to the county boundary to play a game is not on.

In saying this, I dont know what games walk overs were given is. I gave up looking at the County Website as a source as to when games are on etc.

Slobbery wrote: »
    The Camogie County finals were played over the weekend and the skill levels on display were very high, well done to Lismore on winning the senior and Cappoquin on winning the Intermediate title

I dont know what the Camogie County Board took in from the game. I think it was €8 to get into see two good games, where some very skillful players were on view with all four sides in action.

At a guess i would say that there was 500 to 600 people at the senior final, and there was people that left after the intermediate game. In all I would say there was 8 or 9 hundred people that passed through the turn styles.

I think if the Adult Mens board got attendances like this at some of their games they would be delighted. What a pity that what is happening with our womens games do not get the recogintion they deserve.

A week earlier there was an underage and the senior Ladies football final was also played at Fraher Field and they again drew a good crowd to the ground, again over 500 i would say in for the senior game. The entry I think was €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 1club1county

Just looking up the result page on the Waterford gaa site and can anyone tell me what clubs make up Glenshelene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Just looking up the result page on the Waterford gaa site and can anyone tell me what clubs make up Glenshelene?

Cappoquin, Tourin, Affane, Mellary (Glen Rovers) I think is all of them. Only at u21 level I think they go by that, maybe Juvenile as well.

Interesting to see all of Kilkenny's forwards today stand at over 6ft, and I think 4 of Tipp's 6 starting forwards do as well.

Only Paudie Mahony and Austin Gleeson (who is 19) stood at that height when we played Cork. It surely goes a long way to explaining why we have trouble winning ball in the forwards.

Some win for St. Saviours. Absolutely delighted for them. With all the players lost over the years its a testament to the club to keep going through some lean years. Would be brilliant to see them going the whole way to senior now. Congrats to all involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

cul beag wrote: »
    Some win for St. Saviours. Absolutely delighted for them. With all the players lost over the years its a testament to the club to keep going through some lean years. Would be brilliant to see them going the whole way to senior now. Congrats to all involved.

Yes great win for Saviours. Would be interesting to see them back at senior and playing DLS in the championship!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Yes great win for Saviours. Would be interesting to see them back at senior and playing DLS in the championship!

I know Saviours got at least one lifetime ban after the last time they played. I wonder do those sort of sanctions get enforced properly.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I know Saviours got at least one lifetime ban after the last time they played. I wonder do those sort of sanctions get enforced properly.

Was that hurling or football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Was that hurling or football?

It was a Hurling relegation final and a De La Salle selector got some terrible injuries from a bad assault, he was in bad shape after it.
    I am sure the offender got a life ban not just from the GAA disciplinary procedures but also a lifetime ban from entering GAA pitches from a judge in court
    In that instance I would say that ban would most definitely be adhered too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Slobbery wrote: »
    It was a Hurling relegation final and a De La Salle selector got some terrible injuries from a bad assault, he was in bad shape after it.
    I am sure the offender got a life ban not just from the GAA disciplinary procedures but also a lifetime ban from entering GAA pitches from a judge in court
    In that instance I would say that ban would most definitely be adhered too

See, Derek McGrath has a lot to answer for :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Interesting to see all of Kilkenny's forwards today stand at over 6ft, and I think 4 of Tipp's 6 starting forwards do as well.

Only Paudie Mahony and Austin Gleeson (who is 19) stood at that height when we played Cork. It surely goes a long way to explaining why we have trouble winning ball in the forwards.

Is Paudie Mahony over 6ft, wouldn't have taught so. He is not good at winning ball in the air as can be said for nearly all our forwards bar Seamus. Hope to god Derek McGrath and his selectors are trawling the county looking for ball winning forwards or it will be a disappointing year again next year. Have any such players stood out in the clubs championships or are they just not there?

Is Paudie Mahony over 6ft, wouldn't have taught so. He is not good at winning ball in the air as can be said for nearly all our forwards bar Seamus. Hope to god Derek McGrath and his selectors are trawling the county looking for ball winning forwards or it will be a disappointing year again next year. Have any such players stood out in the clubs championships or are they just not there?

I'd say he's right on the margin, just about 6 foot. Not certain though, but I saw Shane Walsh being touted at 5 11 so Im sure he must have an inch on him.

I think by and large their not their. DJ Foran will have to be looked at next year but it would be a big ask of a 20 year to except him to solve the problem. I think they need to work with Maurice to develop this in him more, he has the height and the capacity but maybe a bit more coaching required.

Kilkenny were spot on today, they cause untold problems today that Tipp just could not mirror in terms of the aerial battles. I guess Austin Gleeson will remain up front next year, but having seen his display from Center back v DLS I reckon he'll be the eventual successor of Brick though somebody might be there as a stop gap measure until then.

Even though today's game was hardly awe inspiring, I think in physical terms we are just a few years a way yet unfortunately.

On RTE One today-at half time- John Mullane wrote off Kilkenny completely. What match was that man watching? Certainly has egg on the face after his stupid comments today.

One thing from yesterday, Ritchie Hogan,hurler of the yr elect,was taken off and not the easy option of john Power. Names or what club they're from mean nothing to him. Hope Mr.McGrath took note.

• Advertisement

The Waterford Senior Hurling Championship will likely include another Western team-Cappoquin. With St. Saviours being such a poor outfit, Cappoquin will win the Intermediate Hurling Championship Co Final in a canter. The Draw for the 2015 Senior hurling championship will be very interesting. It could feature some really interesting clashes between Western teams. Roll on 2015

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement