Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

culbaire wrote: »
    The Waterford Senior Hurling Championship will likely include another Western team-Cappoquin. With St. Saviours being such a poor outfit, Cappoquin will win the Intermediate Hurling Championship Co Final in a canter. The Draw for the 2015 Senior hurling championship will be very interesting. It could feature some really interesting clashes between Western teams. Roll on 2015

Wouldn't be counting any Chickens yet - all year people are saying St. Saviour's are going to get beaten but here they are in a final - says alot about them, they have a real never say die attitude.

Cappoquin have a nice young team - but they have been favorites to win the west for a few years now - but it took then til this year to win it.

Congrats to both teams for making it to the Final, I think it is nicely poised

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Anybody hear anything about Tony Browne going in as selector replacing Willie Maher and also Fergal O'Brien the fitness coach with Passage also joining the backroom team??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

See, Derek McGrath has a lot to answer for :rolleyes:

Jaysus, if a selector had life threatening injuries inflicted upon him every time someone transferred club where would we be!

cul beag wrote: »
    One thing from yesterday, Ritchie Hogan,hurler of the yr elect,was taken off and not the easy option of john Power. Names or what club they're from mean nothing to him. Hope Mr.McGrath took note.

You are aware that Hogan was carrying an injury, and this is why he was substituted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Anybody hear anything about Tony Browne going in as selector replacing Willie Maher and also Fergal O'Brien the fitness coach with Passage also joining the backroom team??

Wouldn't be surprised with Fergal O' Brien. Same age as McGrath and both of them would have played together for De La Salle. Can't ever remember hearing of Tony being involved in a managerial/selector role before. Still flying with Mount Sion and has a few more years club hurling left in him I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Slobbery wrote: »
    Wouldn't be counting any Chickens yet

Would they be Cappoquin chickens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

hardybuck wrote: »
    You are aware that Hogan was carrying an injury, and this is why he was substituted?

Hogan denied that emphatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Pat Flanagan going to Cork footballers now. That has been probably the most disappointing thing for me, we let a top class fitness coach leave and it's seemed to have an immediately telling effect.

piuswal wrote: »
    Hogan denied that emphatically.

Source for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

hardybuck wrote: »
    Source for this?

He was on off the ball last night, didn't say anything about being injured just said 5 other forwards were going better than him

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Jimmy Meaney and Benji Whelan apparently are the new faces on the Derek McGrath ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

cul beag wrote: »
    Jimmy Meaney and Benji Whelan apparently are the new faces on the Derek McGrath ticket.

Its a positive move. Jimmy Meaney is a good hurling trainer and did very well with the county minors in 2009 while Benji Whelan will help bring better fitness to the team. If they can play more positive hurling without drawn one or two full forwards out the field then they should be able to turn it around. Here's hoping anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

No talk of the county final? Ballygunner must be favourites as they maintain their 100% record this year. Normally I ignore it when teams are said to have a bad record against others but I do think they struggle against Mt Sion more than they do against other similarly strong teams. Sion have built around Gleeson a few years earlier than expected and in my opinion Martin O Neill is the best free taker in the county. But the gunners have 3/4 very good forwards and a choice of 6/7 more who are good club players and may develop into more as they get older. I'd have to go with them to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

No talk of the county final? Ballygunner must be favourites as they maintain their 100% record this year. Normally I ignore it when teams are said to have a bad record against others but I do think they struggle against Mt Sion more than they do against other similarly strong teams. Sion have built around Gleeson a few years earlier than expected and in my opinion Martin O Neill is the best free taker in the county. But the gunners have 3/4 very good forwards and a choice of 6/7 more who are good club players and may develop into more as they get older. I'd have to go with them to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Can see Ballygunner shading it myself personally. Mount Sion were good against DLS but DLS showed absolutely no hunger for the game whatsoever. Ballygunner have a quick forward line which I can see causing Mount Sion problems as they struggled with the BG forwards the last day and the Dungarvan forwards who have a similar style of play. Poorer conditions will likely suit Mount Sion more I feel so it’s a tough one to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Good luck with that. To say he isn't popular in Kerry would be an understatement!

buyer95 wrote: »
    Good luck with that. To say he isn't popular in Kerry would be an understatement!

To be honest, that there is any interest in the job at all comes as a big shock to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

To be honest, that there is any interest in the job at all comes as a big shock to me.

He has more or less flamed out anywhere he has managed down here. He is a good coach, but his player management leaves a lot to be desired. Expect lots of talk about psychology, and every kind of a guru to be in with him!

If anything, hopefully they can sell it as an introduction into intercounty management for people hoping to cut their teeth at this level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

how come there is such a destine against football in waterford , i remember not too long ago the waterford footballers got promoted from division 4 , wining all 7 league games in the process, ye had some really good footballers like the hurney's and paul white , and yet within a year or two all that hard work vanished
    surely that was the time to kick on and improve the state of waterford football , considering there was relative success at club level, junior and u21 level ,

is it true what niall carew was claiming that the footballers were giving little or no investment compared to the hurlers , i have no doubt that some day jason ryan will return home to manage his native county but what state will ye be in at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

how come there is such a destine against football in waterford , i remember not too long ago the waterford footballers got promoted from division 4 , wining all 7 league games in the process, ye had some really good footballers like the hurney's and paul white , and yet within a year or two all that hard work vanished
    surely that was the time to kick on and improve the state of waterford football , considering there was relative success at club level, junior and u21 level ,

is it true what niall carew was claiming that the footballers were giving little or no investment compared to the hurlers , i have no doubt that some day jason ryan will return home to manage his native county but what state will ye be in at that stage

people will disagree, but there is as much interest as football in Waterford as hurling in Kerry, a small smattering of clubs are passionate,but for the vast majority of us, there just isnt the interest or the drive

if we ever like to really challenge , we have to ditch the football, Wexford is torn apart with this, pulling in every direction and achieving nothing

there are plenty of football counties that pay lip service to hurling but as soon as a hurling county does it it seems unsporting.

there are what., 8 or 9 hurling counties, honest real ones, we are an endangered species, and should be focused on keeping the tradition alive

people will disagree, but there is as much interest as football in Waterford as hurling in Kerry, a small smattering of clubs are passionate,but for the vast majority of us, there just isnt the interest or the drive

if we ever like to really challenge , we have to ditch the football, Wexford is torn apart with this, pulling in every direction and achieving nothing

there are plenty of football counties that pay lip service to hurling but as soon as a hurling county does it it seems unsporting.

there are what., 8 or 9 hurling counties, honest real ones, we are an endangered species, and should be focused on keeping the tradition alive

is there really that many more realistic football counties through out the country ? i believe there is an awful lot of dead wood in the inter county football championship and are there for the taking , i just felt that waterfort team could have left there mark albeit in the nfl, i think they could have followed tipperary up to division 2 and held there own that time

when clare were wining munster and all irelands in the mid 90's the footballers remained in the top 2 divisions in the nfl for nearly all of that time , i dont agree with the idea that we have enough football counties so lets ignore it where they are good at hurling, if anything i think the problem lies as you said with the counties up the country that wont entertain hurling , i think its a joke when we hear people in the gaa talk about the global promotion of hurling when they cant promote it in there own country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

do ya need to have tickets for the final tomorrow, its years since i was at a county final. and how much will it be

is there really that many more realistic football counties through out the country ? i believe there is an awful lot of dead wood in the inter county football championship and are there for the taking , i just felt that waterfort team could have left there mark albeit in the nfl, i think they could have followed tipperary up to division 2 and held there own that time

when clare were wining munster and all irelands in the mid 90's the footballers remained in the top 2 divisions in the nfl for nearly all of that time , i dont agree with the idea that we have enough football counties so lets ignore it where they are good at hurling, if anything i think the problem lies as you said with the counties up the country that wont entertain hurling , i think its a joke when we hear people in the gaa talk about the global promotion of hurling when they cant promote it in there own country

I guess it comes down to the size of the County and interest. From talking to people from West Clare, we wouldn't even match their interest in football.

We've had some very good hurling teams the last ten years. There's just been no investment in football and to be honest we're at a stage where there can't be anymore as finances are shocking. Tomorrow for example, hurling county final tickets are 15 euro and Id imagine no concessions like the semis.

They had some great footballers come out of the 2003 Munster u21 winning team but in the end most opted for hurling. Brick, Shane Walsh, The Prenders, even Gary Hurney tried it for a while.

The situation is still much better than it was 10 years or so ago. I think for a while we only had a junior football, and nobody was interested in the job bar Jackson Kiely. Now though as Hardybuck says, there seems to be greater interest instarting out with inter county management in weaker counties to learn their trade.

After the year they had last year, they are lucky anyone would take it.

do ya need to have tickets for the final tomorrow, its years since i was at a county final. and how much will it be

15 and you wont, id say it will be the smallest crowd at a final in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

15 and you wont, id say it will be the smallest crowd at a final in a few years.

for two city clubs? How come?

for two city clubs? How come?

Id say there wont be the same numbers of neutrals to be honest as there usually is given how bad the county team went this year. Wasn't great attendances at the semis I didn't think. But maybe I'm wrong, I am just guessing.

I guess it comes down to the size of the County and interest. From talking to people from West Clare, we wouldn't even match their interest in football.

We've had some very good hurling teams the last ten years. There's just been no investment in football and to be honest we're at a stage where there can't be anymore as finances are shocking. Tomorrow for example, hurling county final tickets are 15 euro and Id imagine no concessions like the semis.

They had some great footballers come out of the 2003 Munster u21 winning team but in the end most opted for hurling. Brick, Shane Walsh, The Prenders, even Gary Hurney tried it for a while.

The situation is still much better than it was 10 years or so ago. I think for a while we only had a junior football, and nobody was interested in the job bar Jackson Kiely. Now though as Hardybuck says, there seems to be greater interest instarting out with inter county management in weaker counties to learn their trade.

After the year they had last year, they are lucky anyone would take it.

very good post , i was'nt sure how people saw football down ye'r way , there was very little printed here on this tread , and i was curious as to what had happened some of those good players ye had coming up through the ranks over the years , i always had ye down as big under achievers in the code

giving how strong ye were in hurling over the last 15 years it was hard for players to turn down the chance to play hurling, ye were probably just unlucky that kilkenny produced there best ever teams over the same length of time , probably the only thing that stood in ye'r way of an all ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Id say there wont be the same numbers of neutrals to be honest as there usually is given how bad the county team went this year. Wasn't great attendances at the semis I didn't think. But maybe I'm wrong, I am just guessing.

Its also being shown deferred coverage on TG4 which will deter the maybes. For me I can't wait to see Austin Gleeson and Tony Browne play again on the same team. Surely thats worth seeing alone. I think the positioning of Gleeson and Martin O Neill at CB and MF where they starred for the Waterford Minors has lifted Mount Sion all over the pitch. They look to have a good shape about them and style of play. Sean Ryans return to scoring is essential with the lads being taken out of the forwards as is Roches contribution at MF. Any team that dispatched Abbetside by 9 points and DLS by 7 in successive weeks could hardly be ranked as outsiders.
    Ballygunner on the other hand have David O Sullivan to return from injury and JJ Hutchison and Peter Hogan as contenders for a start plus the suprise (thanks to having Taghe O Sullivan at your games) return of Philip Mahony who will be fitter now. I think Ballygunner have a better man for man team and would be a better bet in he Munster Club Championship but I think honestly Ballygunner generally have it too handy in the Championship at times and can struggle in tight games. I think it'll be tight and Mount Sion will shade it. I couldn't back against Austin Gleeson and Tony Browne

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement