Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Can't complain too much about the draw I suppose, no matter who we were drawn against we'd most likely be going in as underdogs anyway. Bonus that one big performance and result against Cork would have us hurling into the summer but it's a big if. We'll know more what kind of shape we're in after the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭seananigans

Cake Man wrote: »
    Can't complain too much about the draw I suppose, no matter who we were drawn against we'd most likely be going in as underdogs anyway. Bonus that one big performance and result against Cork would have us hurling into the summer but it's a big if. We'll know more what kind of shape we're in after the league.

lads we have a league first, who knows what records we can break ,like letting dublin beat us at home, the sky is the limit

in all seriousness, derek wanta bitta copon,his self belief is growing tiresome

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Good draw. If nothing else it opens up a couple of weeks on the calender. Realistic chance of a Munster Final. Hopefully Aidan Walsh will go with the football. We need to get to a league Semi Final to tee us up. Its been too long since we done anything in that competition. Our best years have come on the back of a good league campaign.

It might be funny to say that our first 15 would match our second 15 but this just highlights our quality of fitness (some injuries couldn't be foreseen I know) and managerial selection issues last year.

We have yet to find out who will leave the panel but there is a solid 10/15 players who will be looking to make the breaktru in the next couple of years making the panel stronger than its ever been. If not the first 15 certainly players positioned 20-40 in the ranks.

Hopefully Derek McGrath will have them ready but will Walsh Park be ready, we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Any one else hear any more about retirements, and J1'S happening next year, some load of lads potentially gone, if half of it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Patrick Curran has already indicated that he won't be involved this year, wants to focus on college. Big call from a young player but probably the right one, he will hopefully have a long career with Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Any one else hear any more about retirements, and J1'S happening next year, some load of lads potentially gone, if half of it is true.

Who's thought to be unavailable or gone for next year?
    Disappointing that Patrick Curran isn't making himself available next year if true but can't blame him and a wise decision. A bit like Stephen Bennett this year, 2015 is probably a year too early for Curran at senior anyway IMO. As another poster has said he'll hopefully have big days out with us in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Slobbery wrote: »
    Oh keep watching

Pure attention seeker that lad... Runs to the tell the internet his vague rumours to show he is in the know.

But better not to talk about it, shhhhh!
    The internet can keep a secret right?

Won't be long now aul slobs! Where have you been my friend im missing your knowledgeable inputs into these sort of threads! Tick tock,tick tock ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Judging from the rumours about 10 lads will leave the panel but on the bright side we'll have about 10 selectors next year

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SkipFC

"It’s a county final and it doesn’t matter where it’s on, Fraher Field, Walsh Park, wherever. We’ll play it in a back garden if we have to.”

Trevor Whelan, St Saviours selector, speaking ahead of Sunday's intermediate county final v Cappoquin.

I've interviewed Trevor and the Cappoquin management team and you can find the piece I wrote at
    www(.)skippykelly(.)wordpress(.)com

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

lads we have a league first, who knows what records we can break ,like letting dublin beat us at home, the sky is the limit

in all seriousness, derek wanta bitta copon,his self belief is growing tiresome

derek mcgrath has a very difficult job and from what i am told he has one hand tied behind his back

I have heard that he kept his finances extremely tight last year and managed not to spend all the budget he was given. instead of carrying that over and having a bigger sum of money my information is that his budget has now been cut back to what he spent last year.
    that is hardly fair if it`s true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

derek mcgrath has a very difficult job and from what i am told he has one hand tied behind his back

I have heard that he kept his finances extremely tight last year and managed not to spend all the budget he was given. instead of carrying that over and having a bigger sum of money my information is that his budget has now been cut back to what he spent last year.
    that is hardly fair if it`s true

If that is true then i'd feel for the lad but thats a massive **** up. Its common practice in business that if a group did a job on less than their allocated budget that the budget is cut back the next year. I dont rate Derek at all, if he has even less cash to work with this year we're totally screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It would be fairly safe to assume that you would have some budget leftover if they didn't make the quarter finals. Otherwise they would have run out of funds by reaching that far.

Bizarre if true from the county board.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

They're in debt up to their ears and also pretty useless. I wouldnt put anything past them. Maybe they're saving up for a decent manager after McGrath goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hardybuck wrote: »
    It would be fairly safe to assume that you would have some budget leftover if they didn't make the quarter finals. Otherwise they would have run out of funds by reaching that far.

Bizarre if true from the county board.

Agreed. And we don't have actual figures here so while the quarter finals were actually only an extra week it could be that what he was under budget by wasn't huge.

I'd be cautious in commending McGrath for being under budget as obviously the performance of the County team was poor but at the same wouldn't be putting 2 and 2 together to say that whatever budget difference there may have been would have made any difference in improving the performance.

One thing I will say is the polciy adopted by Irish political departments of spend what you're allocated to make sure you're not cut and then inevitably make inefficient use of resources is not something we can afford to do and therefore to say McGrath made a huge fúck up is very unfair, especially with such a little amount of information (there's not even confirmation that this was the case, never mind actual figures you can use to form an opinion on whether we got the most out of the funds available). Don't think it's right the County board would offer any less of a budget than last year.

The fact that we're in such a poor financial situation has seen the County Board take what I'm sure is an unprecedented measure of having no concessions for the County semis.

They have a loan from Aib in excess of what the debt was, I assume its being guaranteed by central council. From what Ive heard the CC will have a big say in who is going to be the next Waterford county board chairman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GAA COACH

So who will be the next senior manager for waterford GAA. Who us linked to the post.

GAA COACH wrote: »
    So who will be the next senior manager for waterford GAA. Who us linked to the post.

Do you know something I don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

cul beag wrote: »
    Won't be long now aul slobs! Where have you been my friend im missing your knowledgeable inputs into these sort of threads! Tick tock,tick tock ðŸ˜

Sounds like you can't wait and will be absolutely delighted when all these retirements and players opting out are announced so?
    Proves you have someone close to you on the panel? Don't worry from what I'm hearing he won't be in the know for much longer either

Cappoquin County Champions. Shane O Rourke man of the match with 0-12 points.

Anyone know his age? Saw him play last year and score 0-8 from play from center forward. Heard he was around 25? Worth a look for the Seniors?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

We did it were up, back where we belong! F*** the begrudgers

We did it were up, back where we belong! F*** the begrudgers

Well done, great for Hurling in the west with Cappoquin and Modeligo winning

And it's all down to years of hard work - at least 15 years of underage work in cappoquins case.

What begrudger's? Anyone who would begrudge a club like cappoquin now is a fool, look at their hurling and camogie teams going senior this year, they are a great example of how to turn around a club

• Advertisement

Cappoquin County Champions. Shane O Rourke man of the match with 0-12 points.

Anyone know his age? Saw him play last year and score 0-8 from play from center forward. Heard he was around 25? Worth a look for the Seniors?

Not sure what age he is, he is a great striker of a ball - but he would need to but in a lot of fitness work over the winter to be looked at

Not sure what age he is, he is a great striker of a ball - but he would need to but in a lot of fitness work over the winter to be looked at

Yeah there was that aspect alright. Something that could be achieved with the guidance of the type of fitness expertise you'd have in a County setup though.

If he's that age however unlikely to be considered because in Waterford if you're over 20 and haven't played for a County team you're "past it".

Yeah there was that aspect alright. Something that could be achieved with the guidance of the type of fitness expertise you'd have in a County setup though.

If he's that age however unlikely to be considered because in Waterford if you're over 20 and haven't played for a County team you're "past it".

Yep and that's totally wrong as can be seen with Kilkenny they give 23-24 year olds a chance.

What about Finan Murray? An impressive minor a few years ago, haven't heard sight or sound of him since is he still playing or worth looking at? He was on the minor team that won in 2009 so he would be 23?

I would say that Shane O'Rourke is younger or at least the same age as Finan - I would think he is younger to be honest

Yep and that's totally wrong as can be seen with Kilkenny they give 23-24 year olds a chance.

What about Finan Murray? An impressive minor a few years ago, haven't heard sight or sound of him since is he still playing or worth looking at?

He was on the intermediate team two years ago anyway, didn't have a great day that day on a day were they were well bet (what's new) by Clare. Think he was playing center back for them last year, not sure with this year.

Agree and not to be going back to the old Kilkenny well of comparisons but I do feel like a couple should be brought to the panel every year to see what they're like.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Shane is a very good player and worth a place on extended panel over the winter. Needs to shape up a bit but has the ability which is the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Sounds like you can't wait and will be absolutely delighted when all these retirements and players opting out are announced so?
    Proves you have someone close to you on the panel? Don't worry from what I'm hearing he won't be in the know for much longer either
    On whose behalf are you speaking? There is a touch of desperation about your post!

Jarjohn wrote: »
    Shane is a very good player and worth a place on extended panel over the winter. Needs to shape up a bit but has the ability which is the most important thing.

Yes of course you can't make a hurler over the winter but you can get a hurler fit - he has a beautiful strike of a ball

culbaire wrote: »
    On whose behalf are you speaking? There is a touch of desperation about your post!

Look whatever - I am just adding to two of you to my ignore list

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Look whatever - I am just adding to two of you to my ignore list
    The feeling is mutual. Adding you to my ignore list. Thankfully the only one here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 GAA COACH

Sorry I meant who us going to be the next football manager there is a Kerry man linked with it but I hope not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement