Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 The Whisperer

We did it were up, back where we belong! F*** the begrudgers

who are the begrudgers??? bit of a defensive attitude for what should be a happy day all round for you.

Wish ye well in senior but dont see anything other than a swift return to intermediate ranks , just like ardmore this year. who actually were pretty comprehensive winners over cappoquin last year.

Cappoquin County Champions. Shane O Rourke man of the match with 0-12 points.

Anyone know his age? Saw him play last year and score 0-8 from play from center forward. Heard he was around 25? Worth a look for the Seniors?

he is 24 this year and no is the answer in terms of inter co set up, if anyone from that cappoquin team deserves a trial with the seniors its paul murray or keith landers, good hurlers and will look forward to seeing them play senior next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

who are the begrudgers??? bit of a defensive attitude for what should be a happy day all round for you.

Wish ye well in senior but dont see anything other than a swift return to intermediate ranks , just like ardmore this year. who actually were pretty comprehensive winners over cappoquin last year.

In fairness I think the age profiles of the cappoquin and Ardmore teams are very different. Ardmore are an older team who it is fair to say may have there best years behind them (and what a great team those group of players were for the club from underage to eventually the senior ranks)
    Cappoquin on the other hand are a much younger team and their best is yet to come I would think. Didn't they supply four players to the minor panel this year?

Slobbery wrote: »
    In fairness I think the age profiles of the cappoquin and Ardmore teams are very different. Ardmore are an older team who it is fair to say may have there best years behind them (and what a great team those group of players were for the club from underage to eventually the senior ranks)
    Cappoquin on the other hand are a much younger team and their best is yet to come I would think. Didn't they supply four players to the minor panel this year?

3 as far as I'm aware? Molumby is the best of their young players by a mile..minor again next year, lightening fast but kinda small for wing forward for a senior team

Some interesting match ups all the same potentially next year with tallow ballyduff lismore and cappoquinn .

Is it possible that they could all be drawn in same group ??

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

15 and you wont, id say it will be the smallest crowd at a final in a few years.

Big crowd yesterday in Fraher Field for the Junior and Intermediate finals, Showing that the real hurling support in Waterford in the west of the county. Before anyone jumps on their high horses, I am only trying to get those that are easy to wind up going.

• Advertisement

he is 24 this year and no is the answer in terms of inter co set up, if anyone from that cappoquin team deserves a trial with the seniors its paul murray or keith landers, good hurlers and will look forward to seeing them play senior next year.

I heard they are hoping to be in the same group as Lismore, Tallow and Ballyduff. Could have good attendances at the games if they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I heard they are hoping to be in the same group as Lismore, Tallow and Ballyduff. Could have good attendances at the games if they were.

Probably not the only reason they want them in the group say as opposed to DLS, Mount Sion, Ballygunner and Dungarvan.

I think each case on its merits, and unfair of people writing off Cappoquin already.

Probably not the only reason they want them in the group say as opposed to DLS, Mount Sion, Ballygunner and Dungarvan.

I think each case on its merits, and unfair of people writing off Cappoquin already.

Its only a fool that would write off the chances of Cappoquin.

Its only a fool that would write off the chances of Cappoquin.

Bit harsh. I personally think they will struggle big time in senior, they won a very below average intermediate title, they were beaten by ring earlier in the year who didn't win a game at senior when they were up. I think it's a fair enough statement to say they will struggle.
    Very small team too, might have to be creative to win clean ball or might struggle physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Slobbery wrote: »
    Sounds like you can't wait and will be absolutely delighted when all these retirements and players opting out are announced so?
    Proves you have someone close to you on the panel? Don't worry from what I'm hearing he won't be in the know for much longer either

Nothing to do with anyone on the panel but the dogs on the street know fellas are either definitely or considering leaving the set up. Having spoken to a connection of a player he's definitely leaving the set up and possibly 2 more of his colleagues(all were u21) 2 of the older contingent will be politely told to retire aswell rather than be dropped off it. A minor from last yr has been plagued to make himself available but has declined on several occasions because of the mess. The plot will thicken even further when the new chairman is elected because if what we're hearing is true then McGrath will have another battle on his hands there!

Very impressed with Modeligo yesterday and credit to Pa Kearney who has them playing a nice brand of hurling. Tom Devine is turning into a fine athlete and could have a big future ahead of him.
    Cappoquin,while definitely the better hurlers made hard work of a dogged St.Saviours outfit. Nicky Jacob never got going for the losers but credit to them they battled right to the end. Shane O Rourke David Cahalane and Andy Molumphy stood out for the victors. Physically i think they could struggle at senior but it is a bit harsh to be writing them off just yet as teams like Tallow,Lismore,Ballyduff,Roanmore and even Fourmilewater are no world beaters at this grade. Possibly experience for the above mentioned teams could have a bearing on any possible meeting with Cappoquin next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

One down! Just announced on Twitter Ray Barry is off to America next year! Maybe not a hugh loss(in McGrath's eyes anyway!) as he saw little championship action this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hurlinbanter

Bit harsh. I personally think they will struggle big time in senior, they won a very below average intermediate title, they were beaten by ring earlier in the year who didn't win a game at senior when they were up. I think it's a fair enough statement to say they will struggle.
    Very small team too, might have to be creative to win clean ball or might struggle physically.

You obviously dont know much about hurling as the intermediate grade this year has displayed a much better show of hurling..the senior hurling has been very dissapointing...cappoquin as far as I know have a 2 good hurlers out with injury which will be a good addition to next years panel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Outside of the DLS and Ballygunnar I think Cappoquin will do fine, albeit they are very small physically

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Sean Lyons announced as the new minor manager for 2015!

You obviously dont know much about hurling as the intermediate grade this year has displayed a much better show of hurling..the senior hurling has been very dissapointing...cappoquin as far as I know have a 2 good hurlers out with injury which will be a good addition to next years panel

the senior hurling might of been "dissapointing" in terms of general free flow hurling and in terms of atmosphere at games.. but in terms of quality i think there is definitley a huge gap between the two grades.. 8/9 teams in senior that would quiet comprehensively beat anything from the intermediate grade.

Theres no point having quality if you cant pull togeather as a team ..The senior county final was worse then watching paint dry...I thing theres a few intermediate teams that would give the senior teams a run for there money

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Deise189 wrote: »
    Sean Lyons announced as the new minor manager for 2015!

Has he been involved in previous underage teams? Was he involved with the current U17's and what club is he from?

All the minors would know him fairly well he has been with under 17 crew as far as I know

Theres no point having quality if you cant pull togeather as a team ..The senior county final was worse then watching paint dry...I thing theres a few intermediate teams that would give the senior teams a run for there money

okay.......... because we have seen how successful the recent promoted intermediate teams have been latley.. ring ardmore dunhill, roanmore done alright this year in fairness but still what you are saying is complete nonsense about "giving the senior teams a run for their money"

I think in time Cappoquin and Ballinameela will be strong enough for Senior, both have very young teams.

Don't know enough about Saviours, fairplay on what they achieved but I'd imagine they must have an older base of players as they've been struggling underage for a good while now.

Ballygunner B getting to the East final wouldn't be a great endorsement of the competition really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

I think in time Cappoquin and Ballinameela will be strong enough for Senior, both have very young teams.

Don't know enough about Saviours, fairplay on what they achieved but I'd imagine they must have an older base of players as they've been struggling underage for a good while now.

Ballygunner B getting to the East final wouldn't be a great endorsement of the competition really.

Can't really speak for the west tbh but the eastern intermediate championship is fairly poor and I couldn't pick any team out of it that wouldn't be relegation fodder were they to be promoted. Fair play to Saviours for what they achieved this year but they are nowhere near good enough for the senior grade.

The level of hurling simply isn’t good enough at intermediate level to prime teams for Senior. They really need to play a county intermediate championship. This would make it far more competitive. The Cork Intermediate championship is extremely difficult to win and in general the teams that come up are at least competitive at the senior grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

I see Seamus is after retiring according to the News and Star. Can't blame the chap. Sitting on the bench for most of last year looking out at small forwards unable to win their own ball. A great servant. If only we had a few more ball winners in the forwards like him coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Waternut wrote: »
    Has he been involved in previous underage teams? Was he involved with the current U17's and what club is he from?

He`s from Ballyduff Lower. I`m not sure on his past involvment but I presume he would have been involved in a waterford underage set up before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭deisedude

All the best to Seamus in his retirement. Could never be faulted for effort in the white shirt and had great aerial presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Sean Lyons would have hurled with Ballygunner back in the day. Minor selectors are Ray Murphy and Sean Cullinane who were with Michael Ryan in 2013. I see also Frank Flannery has stepped down. So the minor managerial line up is complete ... waiting for the senior announcements now

3ships wrote: »
    Sean Lyons would have hurled with Ballygunner back in the day. Minor selectors are Ray Murphy and Sean Cullinane who were with Michael Ryan in 2013. I see also Frank Flannery has stepped down. So the minor managerial line up is complete ... waiting for the senior announcements now

So Maher and Flannery are gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

So Maher and Flannery are gone?

Ye its on News and Star

okay.......... because we have seen how successful the recent promoted intermediate teams have been latley.. ring ardmore dunhill, roanmore done alright this year in fairness but still what you are saying is complete nonsense about "giving the senior teams a run for their money"

I disagree how in all fairness is what im saying nonsence why would an intermediate team not be capable of giving a senior team a run for their money thats like saying a junior team moving up to intermediate level wouldnt give the intermediates a run for their money. ..we all know looking at modeligo they would be well able there would be no point in any of it if what your saying was true seriously youd want to wake up is it in your dreams your watching games

There is no doubt the last few years that some of the intermediate teams have struggled.

But then Dunhill did beat Mount Sion. And I would have more faith in Cappoquin than a time like Ardmore or Rinn who are equally if not more involved in Hurling. There's no doubt that Cappoquins priority will be hurling next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Hello deise men and women, I am from across the border but if you like hurling you might enjoy this. I just uploaded a video on to YouTube with a little song I wrote and recorded with the help of a friend here across the water, it's called "up for the match - Kilkenny hurling song" it's a bit of a giggle, we are not musicians, but hope it gets a few laughs! I wrote it after the drawn game, I could probably put another verse about the replay on now but anyway enjoy and pass it on if you like it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement