Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

robopaddy wrote: »
    Very little as far as I know. Sounds like either horse s**t or a publicity stunt from him which he has been renowned for in the past.

Either way he cant be a realistic candidate

That's a good analysis I'd say. He was on the radio during the week launching a new business so this is probably all part of a campaign to keep himself in the public eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭soggy biscuit

Heard of two people definitively putting their names forward anyway, those being Derek McGrath and Peter Queally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Heard of two people definitively putting their names forward anyway, those being Derek McGrath and Peter Queally.

After last week and the way he lined out the De La Salle team, I think Derek McGrath for now would be better off staying away from the job. He should be building up a better CV in the game at ADULT level.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Hope the other bridesmaids of Irish sport can do it today. Up Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

the minors won for the first time since '85, that's not bad change,but having the record of 7 lost finals in a row is heartbreaking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

Black Suir wrote: »
    After last week and the way he lined out the De La Salle team, I think Derek McGrath for now would be better off staying away from the job. He should be building up a better CV in the game at ADULT level.

i was hoping he stays away full stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

the minors won for the first time since '85, that's not bad change,but having the record of 7 lost finals in a row is heartbreaking

For some of that team its their 4th AI lost. Ouch

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=201420

wouldnt exactly have you jumping out of your seat with excitement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Martin Fogarty is the man fror the job. When you hear names like DJ Carey and Paraic Fanning mentioned its very worrying.

Martin Fogarty is the man fror the job. When you hear names like DJ Carey and Paraic Fanning mentioned its very worrying.

Hands down hes the guy Id like to see, Give him a 2 year term and maybe derek mcgrath and joxer o'connor as selectors and if either of them are ready to step up to senior intercounty management down the line they will have a bit more experience then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Seems Paraic Fanning is out of the running. Are there seriously only three people interested?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Hands down hes the guy Id like to see, Give him a 2 year term and maybe derek mcgrath and joxer o'connor as selectors and if either of them are ready to step up to senior intercounty management down the line they will have a bit more experience then.

No way Jockser is leaving Carrigtwohill for Waterford (certainly not to be a selector anyway). Too sweet a deal down there.

No way Jockser is leaving Carrigtwohill for Waterford (certainly not to be a selector anyway). Too sweet a deal down there.

Probably, i was just kind of taking joxer as an example, someone like him it would ideal opportunity to get experience at senior intercounty level if he had higher ambitions.

Im just hoping there are much better candidates than whats been mentioned on the Hoganstand article as the shortlist provided there is pretty pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I don't know why it popped into my head just now, but this reminds me of a fella telling my brother how a previous Waterford manager was onto a good thing as well. Supping his pint at the bar, this lad said that "AN Other has it good. He's getting twenty grand, a car and [conspiratorial pause] a woman". Beat that, Carrigtwohill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

I think it was Oisin Langan on twitter or maybe in the Examiner I saw that who ever gets the job is getting three years. Timmy O'Keeffe says the first meeting about any names put forward will take place tomorrow evening in Lawlors Hotel.

deiseach wrote: »
    I don't know why it popped into my head just now, but this reminds me of a fella telling my brother how a previous Waterford manager was onto a good thing as well. Supping his pint at the bar, this lad said that "AN Other has it good. He's getting twenty grand, a car and [conspiratorial pause] a woman". Beat that, Carrigtwohill!

Haha fantastic, maybe if we used that angle a bit more here we might have a few more interested candidates this time around :p

https://twitter.com/LilyReddy/status/382213277725769728

Is it out of line that the cynic in me feels that there is something unusual here? Like people talking about DJ being nominated being a publicity stunt, and then it's being tweeted about by somebody in WLR.

Do you think it's possible Abbeyside are getting their own sweetner here, or do they have some affiliation to him? Or are they just really big DJ Carey fans on that side of Dungarvan?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Intermediate Football Championship shaping up nicely. Tough one to call who will come through from it:

Western Final: Ballyduff Upper vs Geraldines

Eastern Final: De La Salle vs. John Mitchells

Geraldines should come through against Ballyduff but DLS/Mitchells is 50/50.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

I dont think he is interested in the position. He said on KCLR radio "I haven't been asked and I don't want to be asked because I have no interest in management. Anybody that would know me would know I have no interest in management."

http://examiner.ie/breakingnews/sport/waterford-nomination-is-news-to-dj-607894.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Intermediate Football Championship shaping up nicely. Tough one to call who will come through from it:

Western Final: Ballyduff Upper vs Geraldines

Eastern Final: De La Salle vs. John Mitchells

Geraldines should come through against Ballyduff but DLS/Mitchells is 50/50.
    I'd go for de la salle, a good few of the hurlers are after joining the football panel so they should be strong enough. Looking forward to the senior hurling double header, I'd go for a mount sion win but the Abbeyside/Ballygunner game is very tough to call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    I'd go for de la salle, a good few of the hurlers are after joining the football panel so they should be strong enough. Looking forward to the senior hurling double header, I'd go for a mount sion win but the Abbeyside/Ballygunner game is very tough to call

How many hurlers did they get?

alllcounty wrote: »
    I dont think he is interested in the position. He said on KCLR radio "I haven't been asked and I don't want to be asked because I have no interest in management. Anybody that would know me would know I have no interest in management."

http://examiner.ie/breakingnews/sport/waterford-nomination-is-news-to-dj-607894.html

Ok now im confused

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

That quote is from 2008 and was in relation to Dublin.

hardybuck wrote: »
    How many hurlers did they get?
    Kevin Moran, Jake Dillon, Eddie Barrett etc

Interesting, I wonder does that etc. include John Mullane - possibly not if he is injured. As far as I'm aware Eddie Barrett was playing anyway.

If they have Kevin Moran in particular, you'd have to fancy them to win it out.

Mad situation that DLS, Mount Sion and Ballygunner find themselves in really though. Very unusual to have lads not togging out for the club like that.

Moran was a serious footballer underage

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Dont know about Moran but Jake Dillon played in their last game as did Jack Kennedy afaik. Barrett has played for the footballers for a few years now, very handy too.

DJ is now out of the running. Thats if he was ever actually in it in the first place...

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=201647

• Advertisement

DJ is now out of the running. Thats if he was ever actually in it in the first place...

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=201647[/QUOTE]

'DJ turns down Deise' - that's a bit much now. You'd swear he was offered the role the way the headline is written.

Does anyone have a list of the nominees that I understand were discussed at the Board meeting last night?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement