Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

And I was there too, watching dublin cork links and dublin old chap
    You presumed assume buddy, wrongly
    Most know I'm avid cork gaa hurling man and with dublin and Waterford having cork links and Waterford opponent next year I went see them
    I as many know don't judge games with out knowing talk about
    Second hand info, erra
    Did I not post the result
    Didn't do post report as knew Yere lads do it as brilliant at them and long spin Waterford back to cork

Don't get excited, I'm not making insult Waterford merely saying many geuine real real knowledge Waterford fans know there's real trouble in the camp , two coaches gone, players gone, etc not happy camp

Fellas like yourself are always around credit due can't see what realism shows but just like cork football don't critise the shambles exists and say ah its woeful but hey don't be harsh thinks can only get better

Seriously would you get real , real issues in camp and lot people know frank flannery cork coach and maher did not just leave for sake it

Clear day three losses already no moral or belief in set up

Now you obviously haven't much knowledge real gaa world but tip off, just wait next few weeks and watch who frank flannery tales charge off in club scene
    Point is Could imo stayed Waterford but look clear day problems there

Waterford played tonight as individuals not team talent is there but no team work
    I think many Waterford fans here disagree your view ye beat cork under current set up
    Cork have problems yes but Waterford management won't expose them
    That's not geuinely being arrogant, it's called realism.

Don't compare apples and oranges

Cody got kilkenny all irelands final year one
    Jbm had bran new team but won minors and had proven intercounty success in 95

O shea part back room team won all ireland and when o shea did loose ist term as manager don't forget twas kilkenny in knowlan park

Your comparison mcgrath to jbm, o shea. Cody shows paucity your post I'm sure many Waterford fans agree with

No wtich hunt
    Purely judging on results
    Did man utd feel same Moyles poor ist year
    No, they sacked him as realised failed minimum standards just look at them now
    Nobody expected all ireland Waterford but results below minimum standard old sport.

few scoops last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

And I was there too, watching dublin cork links and dublin old chap
    You presumed assume buddy, wrongly
    Most know I'm avid cork gaa hurling man and with dublin and Waterford having cork links and Waterford opponent next year I went see them
    I as many know don't judge games with out knowing talk about
    Second hand info, erra
    Did I not post the result
    Didn't do post report as knew Yere lads do it as brilliant at them and long spin Waterford back to cork

Don't get excited, I'm not making insult Waterford merely saying many geuine real real knowledge Waterford fans know there's real trouble in the camp , two coaches gone, players gone, etc not happy camp

Fellas like yourself are always around credit due can't see what realism shows but just like cork football don't critise the shambles exists and say ah its woeful but hey don't be harsh thinks can only get better

Seriously would you get real , real issues in camp and lot people know frank flannery cork coach and maher did not just leave for sake it

Clear day three losses already no moral or belief in set up

Now you obviously haven't much knowledge real gaa world but tip off, just wait next few weeks and watch who frank flannery tales charge off in club scene
    Point is Could imo stayed Waterford but look clear day problems there

Waterford played tonight as individuals not team talent is there but no team work
    I think many Waterford fans here disagree your view ye beat cork under current set up
    Cork have problems yes but Waterford management won't expose them
    That's not geuinely being arrogant, it's called realism.

Don't compare apples and oranges

Cody got kilkenny all irelands final year one
    Jbm had bran new team but won minors and had proven intercounty success in 95

O shea part back room team won all ireland and when o shea did loose ist term as manager don't forget twas kilkenny in knowlan park

Your comparison mcgrath to jbm, o shea. Cody shows paucity your post I'm sure many Waterford fans agree with

No wtich hunt
    Purely judging on results
    Did man utd feel same Moyles poor ist year
    No, they sacked him as realised failed minimum standards just look at them now
    Nobody expected all ireland Waterford but results below minimum standard old sport.

What kind of rubbish is that. If you want to be taken seriously, at least try and make your posts legible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

3ships wrote: »

the starting team was

Iggy
    McNulty
    Coughlan
    ConnorsN
    GOB
    TdeB
    S Fives
    PPrender
    JBarron
    MON
    Brick
    ConnorsT
    MKearney
    Paudie Mahony
    and I initially thought Dunford but not sure

Subs: a good few, noticeable to me anyway, were Harney and Cormac Curren

Quick analysis:
    Jamie Barron caught the eye a midfield, good movement and distribution.
    Barry Coughlan worth a punt at FB
    Brick Ok at centre forward, but looked a real threat at FF in second half
    Paudie Mahony was the quality player in white.
    Mikey Kearney was on the ball a lot, didn't always work out for him but I liked the way he kept going and got his goal.
    Tommy Connors was out to impress too and put in a good shift.

It was a grand exercise and there was even a sub keeper, tho I couldn't tell you who.

The squad is so decimated from last year it's hard to know who is to even come back into that team.

SOK, Kevin Moran and Aussie Gleeson is the only ones I can think of with any certainty.

BOS, SOS and jake Dillon will be on but won't make huge difference based on previous years.

I am sure D Fives, Daniels, Philip M, Brian O'H, Maurice and Stephen Bennet could feature but I don't think we can count on having any of them based on previous injuries - it would be a miracle if we got a full season out of all of them

Who else can make an impact?

There is no way McGrath can turn this around in 2 Years.

We are facing into a season where no one can say for certain who will be playing in the following positions:

Full back
    Centre back
    Midfield
    Full forward

Now I think we can only say that
    SOK will be keeper
    Noel C - corner
    T da Burca wing.
    P mahony Centre Forward

Aussie Gleeson remains to be seen if he is back or forward
    Dunford - midfield or forward.

Moran might be centre back but he doesn't convince me there.

What other team is facing into this kind of uncertainty? I feel we are in for a very difficult year.

Mcgrath in for a few years pain, the best he can hope for is introducing some new players who will do the business for us when his time as manager has come and gone with a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Good points there. Maybe Devine and DJ Foran might bring something to it. But as you say a lot of ifs and maybes.

Just as an edit to that team, Tommy Waring was in the corner and not Dunford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Slobbery wrote: »
    The squad is so decimated from last year it's hard to know who is to even come back into that team.

SOK, Kevin Moran and Aussie Gleeson is the only ones I can think of with any certainty.

BOS, SOS and jake Dillon will be on but won't make huge difference based on previous years.

I am sure D Fives, Daniels, Philip M, Brian O'H, Maurice and Stephen Bennet could feature but I don't think we can count on having any of them based on previous injuries - it would be a miracle if we got a full season out of all of them

Who else can make an impact?

There is no way McGrath can turn this around in 2 Years.

We are facing into a season where no one can say for certain who will be playing in the following positions:

Full back
    Centre back
    Midfield
    Full forward

Now I think we can only say that
    SOK will be keeper
    Noel C - corner
    T da Burca wing.
    P mahony Centre Forward

Aussie Gleeson remains to be seen if he is back or forward
    Dunford - midfield or forward.

Moran might be centre back but he doesn't convince me there.

What other team is facing into this kind of uncertainty? I feel we are in for a very difficult year.

Mcgrath in for a few years pain, the best he can hope for is introducing some new players who will do the business for us when his time as manager has come and gone with a few years

The players are there. It's the management that's the problem. Playing the style of hurling we played last year we are going nowhere. If he abandoned the negative game plan then there is hope.

Could be a strong spine to the team.

SOK on the goal - as good as any keeper in the country.

Darragh Fives as full back - Coughlan seems to be McGraths choice here so far but he is not up to this level. Shown up against cork last year and versus Cratloe in the club championship. Fives was excellent in the full back line when he first broke onto the senior team. Big and strong too.

Austin Gleeson as centre back - play him there from the start of the year and watch him make the position his own. Enough said.

Kevin Moran midfield - his best position.

Brick centre forward - Brings the ball winning ability we so badly need. Played here before for WIT and was brilliant. Delighted to see him start here last night.

Tom Devine full forward. Big strong and lots of ability. Brings more ball winning to the forward which we so badly lack. Could swap with brick for spells during matchs.

Other guaranteed starters would be Noel Connors at corner back, Tadgh De Burca at wing back, hopefully Maurice at wing Forward. If Stephen Bennett was fit he would be great at corner forward. Also think Pauric Mahony should be the other corner forward.

On top of that we have players like Shane Fives, Philip Mahony, Jamie Barron, Colin Dunford, Stephen Daniels, Shane O Sullivan, Jake Dillon and a few more to battle it out for the remaining spots.

The players are there.

• Advertisement

The players are there. It's the management that's the problem. Playing the style of hurling we played last year we are going nowhere. If he abandoned the negative game plan then there is hope.

Darragh Fives as full back - Coughlan seems to be McGraths choice here so far but he is not up to this level. Shown up against cork last year and versus Cratloe in the club championship. Fives was excellent in the full back line when he first broke onto the senior team. Big and strong too.

Austin Gleeson as centre back - play him there from the start of the year and watch him make the position his own. Enough said.

Brick centre forward - Brings the ball winning ability we so badly need. Played here before for WIT and was brilliant. Delighted to see him start here last night.

Tom Devine full forward. Big strong and lots of ability. Brings more ball winning to the forward which we so badly lack. Could swap with brick for spells during matchs.

Other guaranteed starters would be Noel Connors at corner back, Tadgh De Burca at wing back, hopefully Maurice at wing Forward. If Stephen Bennett was fit he would be great at corner forward. Also think Pauric Mahony should be the other corner forward.

On top of that we have players like Shane Fives, Philip Mahony, Jamie Barron, Colin Dunford, Stephen Daniels, Shane O Sullivan, Jake Dillon and a few more to battle it out for the remaining spots.

The players are there.

Good post. I agree that the players are there. I agree about the management but I think there is already a hint that there will be a change to a more attacking style. Also you are spot on about Brick at centre and full forward. I would not mind seeing a team something like the following
    Stephen O Keeffe
    S Fives T Da Burca N Connors
    Ph O Mahoney D Fives S Daniels
    T Devine J Barron
    A Gleeson Brick K Moran
    M Shanahan P Mahoney Stephen Bennett

Dunford, Shane Bennett, Barry Coughlan, Jake all there or thereabouts. I would like to see the above HF line. All can win their own ball and will take on the opposition and all the FF line able to take their scores. Good hard working midfield , I think they have found the best position for Barron at midfield at intercounty. As I said before a quality player. Nothing wrong with that defense either. I would be optimistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

cascade12 wrote: »
    Good post. I agree that the players are there. I agree about the management but I think there is already a hint that there will be a change to a more attacking style. Also you are spot on about Brick at centre and full forward. I would not mind seeing a team something like the following
    Stephen O Keeffe
    S Fives T Da Burca N Connors
    Ph O Mahoney D Fives S Daniels
    T Devine J Barron
    A Gleeson Brick K Moran
    M Shanahan P Mahoney Stephen Bennett

Dunford, Shane Bennett, Barry Coughlan, Jake all there or thereabouts. I would like to see the above HF line. All can win their own ball and will take on the opposition and all the FF line able to take their scores. Good hard working midfield , I think they have found the best position for Barron at midfield at intercounty. As I said before a quality player. Nothing wrong with that defense either. I would be optimistic.

Thats a good team. Nowt to fear with that 15 and if trained well and playing proper hurling, they would give cork one hell of a rattle come championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

cascade12 wrote: »
    What kind of rubbish is that. If you want to be taken seriously, at least try and make your posts legible.

That's clear sign of paucity in one's post when your come back is attack ones grammar

What is actually rubbish as you choose to ignore, still waiting for reply is you comparing mcgrath ist year to Brian Cody of all people
    Shows what you actually know

Brian Cody got kilkenny to all ireland final beaten by a point in he's ist year
    Now please explain how mcgrath ist year compares to this.
    Such utter utter nonsense you just spoke regards Cody and mcgrath.

You then incorrectly make same assumption with eammon o shea
    Eammon o shea has proven record from four years ago and had no chance be fair beating kilkenny in knowlan park

He imo won't beat kilkenny now but much better than mcgrath
    You talked load rubbish there that had no fact

The talent is in Waterford, but to win, you need, cohesion, game plan, work ethic,team direction, good game management and real real belief in the set up with leadership within.
    Last night was just challenge but clear to see there's huge problems and you seem oblivious to the fact Waterford had two previous challenge games and this was dublin first yet imo dublin ist touch was very good

Dublin simply have ed coughlan who's skills coach working with them
    Very early but you could see there off loading at times in the tackle was good
    Bar catching cork cold last year Waterford have shown nothing in mcgrath management since then in championship or challenge matches and you still failed to answer why did two management team walk away???

Now rather than side track the issue and attack ones grammar where you devalue your own posts debate points if you simply can't well fair enough.

You made false assumption I was not at that match also

You should make judgement on realism than false perception
    To the poster, who asked do I drink, no never touched a drop in my life
    I regularly drink carrot juice though, great for the eyes and it's easy see what stares in front of me on a hurling or football field.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

That's clear sign of paucity in one's post when your come back is attack ones grammar

What is actually rubbish as you choose to ignore, still waiting for reply is you comparing mcgrath ist year to Brian Cody of all people
    Shows what you actually know

Brian Cody got kilkenny to all ireland final beaten by a point in he's ist year
    Now please explain how mcgrath ist year compares to this.
    Such utter utter nonsense you just spoke regards Cody and mcgrath.

You then incorrectly make same assumption with eammon o shea
    Eammon o shea has proven record from four years ago and had no chance be fair beating kilkenny in knowlan park

He imo won't beat kilkenny now but much better than mcgrath
    You talked load rubbish there that had no fact

The talent is in Waterford, but to win, you need, cohesion, game plan, work ethic,team direction, good game management and real real belief in the set up with leadership within.
    Last night was just challenge but clear to see there's huge problems and you seem oblivious to the fact Waterford had two previous challenge games and this was dublin first yet imo dublin ist touch was very good

Dublin simply have ed coughlan who's skills coach working with them
    Very early but you could see there off loading at times in the tackle was good
    Bar catching cork cold last year Waterford have shown nothing in mcgrath management since then in championship or challenge matches and you still failed to answer why did two management team walk away???

Now rather than side track the issue and attack ones grammar where you devalue your own posts debate points if you simply can't well fair enough.

You made false assumption I was not at that match also

You should make judgement on realism than false perception
    To the poster, who asked do I drink, no never touched a drop in my life
    I regularly drink carrot juice though, great for the eyes and it's easy see what stares in front of me on a hurling or football field.

I am laughing here because you are dead right but my only conclusion is its the season of good will and maybe some of the posters are going to ease off on Derek McGrath for the festive season!!
    Although when you hear Shane O Sullivan is the incoming capt it will be hard to bite your lip for so long!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

cul beag wrote: »
    I am laughing here because you are dead right but my only conclusion is its the season of good will and maybe some of the posters are going to ease off on Derek McGrath for the festive season!!
    Although when you hear Shane O Sullivan is the incoming capt it will be hard to bite your lip for so long!.

Did you say brick was retiring a while back or was that Cul Baire?

• Advertisement

Was rumoured earlier in the yr but thankfully it was only that.

Was rumoured earlier in the yr but thankfully it was only that.

Any possibility Shane Sully is just a rumour. Seems like the kind of thing anyone anti-McGrath would insinuate.

Any possibility Shane Sully is just a rumour. Seems like the kind of thing anyone anti-McGrath would insinuate.

I would say you are right about that.

The players are there.

Like I said would be great to get all those players on the field at the same time but things would have to change a lot from the last few years.

Daragh Fives full back - big question mark, has never played there on completed a full intercounty season, very injury prone at a young age, may not have the physical make up to make it.

Aussie Gleeson centre back - hopefully does he business but totally untested there. Will just have to wait and see.

Brick centre forward. Didn't work out before, can't see it being much better in his 30s.

Devine totally untried, may lack a little pace, have never seen him play in the forwards until I heard of him there with modeligo in the munster. Lacks a little pace but the lad is a beast.

Granted there may be some great young hurlers knocking around. But my point was that who else will be facing into a season with so many question marks over key positions.

Ya we can nominate names of guys that we think will go well in certain areas, but the fact of the matter is that for most we don't have the evidence from intercounty games to back it up.

Who knows how a new fresh team will work out, we will all have to wait and see, but in terms of team development we are way behind everyone else.

I think McGrath forced this position on himself with his cull. It was way too drastic.

You're right! Awful! Just like all the other insinuations about the set up! Pity most of those insinuations have turned out to be true though isn't it. You must have some splinters on your a**e from sitting on the fence! I thought you'd surely be backing one of yer own and he our new chairman! You do know his views on the current fawlty towers set up?

You're right! Awful! Just like all the other insinuations about the set up! Pity most of those insinuations have turned out to be true though isn't it. You must have some splinters on your a**e from sitting on the fence! I thought you'd surely be backing one of yer own and he our new chairman! You do know his views on the current fawlty towers set up?

I'd say he'll keep McGrath honest alright. Don't know enough about the setup to be honest and am wary of things that are said. You were right on a few things, but you said 'Brick is next' like it was fact. Forgive me for being a bit skeptical.

Shane Sully being McGrath's pal is one I hear a lot, I'd like to believe that nobody would consider making someone who in my opinion is a questionable starter captain so will definitely adopt and I'll believe it when I see attitude here. I would be very disappointed to see him captain, though unless you give the captaincy to Brick not too many standout candidates for it.

I'd say he'll keep McGrath honest alright. Don't know enough about the setup to be honest and am wary of things that are said. You were right on a few things, but you said 'Brick is next' like it was fact. Forgive me for being a bit skeptical.

Shane Sully being McGrath's pal is one I hear a lot, I'd like to believe that nobody would consider making someone who in my opinion is a questionable starter captain so will definitely adopt and I'll believe it when I see attitude here. I would be very disappointed to see him captain, though unless you give the captaincy to Brick not too many standout candidates for it.

Noel Connors deserves a shot at captaincy

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Noel Connors would be a great captain

Noel Connors would be a great captain

He does a lot of the media work anyway, comes across very well, obviously a intelligent guy, says the right things, is a good leader and is a very consistent player. Ticks all the boxes really

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Not me!!
    Hopefully he will keep at it for another year or two anyway.

Lads shouldn't get too hung up on the captaincy. Its not a big deal among the panel as far as I know.

• Advertisement

There was a piece in the examiner today about the negativety towards Waterford hurling management and players within the county. Don't think we are that negative toward the players here (well most of em!).

Looking at it:

The management:

Derek McGrath - loves the system, maybe too stubborn to ditch it.
    We used to be ecstatic now we we're static.
    Was hoping for it to turn out like “Galway 2012” last year but instead it was more Galway every other year.
    We can't copy Clare, they had 10/15 U21 games and minor campaigns with excellent coaching to set them up. Also Kelly and Galvin running the show thru all those teams.

I'm not against the idea of making room on the panel for the young lads, but why then have SOS instead of Ray Barry if that's the case. I think peddling the transition myth is just to buy him more time. The media have accepted it, the fans don't.

Fintan O Connor - I'll back him to do well as with Fergal O Brien

Dan Shanahan – I don't know him so I won't judge him

The players:

Going with a familiar team , likely to be available for the league and its not very transitional if you look at.
    If you want to change the dynamic you could put Austin back CB and send Brick up to the forwards. Barron and Mahony could move around within that forward line.

SOK
    P Prendergast--T de B----Connors
    S Fives
    Brick ----Ph Mahony
    D Fives
    K Moran
    A Gleeson----P Mahony--B O Halloran
    Dunford
    Dillon
    Barron

Subs

Keeper
    Iggy and AN Other (2)

You would expect if fit:

Stephen Bennett, Mo Shan and Daniels to have a good chance (3)

U21 lads knocking on the door:
    McNulty, Devine, DJ, Kearney, Donnelly, MOB, Cormac Curren, Shane Bennett, Shane Roche (9)

Where will McGrath accomodate these lads:
    Coughlan, GOB, SOS, MON, BOS, DOS (6)

also there are others, of which maybe Conor Murray, Tommy Connors, Donie Breathnach (3) will be required

There is a fair battle just to get on the panel at the moment with 38 named above. There'll be a hell of a battle just to get on the 26 for championship match day and that should lead to a strong 15. The players are there.

3ships wrote: »
    There was a piece in the examiner today about the negativety towards Waterford hurling management and players within the county. Don't think we are that negative toward the players here (well most of em!).

Looking at it:

The management:

Derek McGrath - loves the system, maybe too stubborn to ditch it.
    We used to be ecstatic now we we're static.
    Was hoping for it to turn out like “Galway 2012” last year but instead it was more Galway every other year.
    We can't copy Clare, they had 10/15 U21 games and minor campaigns with excellent coaching to set them up. Also Kelly and Galvin running the show thru all those teams.

I'm not against the idea of making room on the panel for the young lads, but why then have SOS instead of Ray Barry if that's the case. I think peddling the transition myth is just to buy him more time. The media have accepted it, the fans don't.

Fintan O Connor - I'll back him to do well as with Fergal O Brien

Dan Shanahan – I don't know him so I won't judge him

The players:

Going with a familiar team , likely to be available for the league and its not very transitional if you look at.
    If you want to change the dynamic you could put Austin back CB and send Brick up to the forwards. Barron and Mahony could move around within that forward line.

SOK
    P Prendergast--T de B----Connors
    S Fives
    Brick ----Ph Mahony
    D Fives
    K Moran
    A Gleeson----P Mahony--B O Halloran
    Dunford
    Dillon
    Barron

Subs

Keeper
    Iggy and AN Other (2)

You would expect if fit:

Stephen Bennett, Mo Shan and Daniels to have a good chance (3)

U21 lads knocking on the door:
    McNulty, Devine, DJ, Kearney, Donnelly, MOB, Cormac Curren, Shane Bennett, Shane Roche (9)

Where will McGrath accomodate these lads:
    Coughlan, GOB, SOS, MON, BOS, DOS (6)

also there are others, of which maybe Conor Murray, Tommy Connors, Donie Breathnach (3) will be required

There is a fair battle just to get on the panel at the moment with 38 named above. There'll be a hell of a battle just to get on the 26 for championship match day and that should lead to a strong 15. The players are there.

Be happy to see Barron and O Halloran back in there this year. If Brian O'Halloran just got a clear run at it, I'm convinced he was the best of the 2009 Minor team and the best forward produced until maybe Stephen Bennett and Patrick Curran.

Bourke is a bit young for full back, wouldn't like him facing Callinan or Richie Power even though he looks a great hurler on the back of last year. Again, Austin Gleeson is quite young to be playing center back even though I'm sure that's where his future is and he adds the height to the forwards. At the same time, not sure what Brick has left in the legs back there. Don't trust Moran there, he's an out and out midfielder.

Think we need another corner back as well as Paudie Prender isn't one, but a wing back option. Good wing backs, strong midfield. Dunford made a very promising start, and Mahony is no doubt a serious talent but a bit slow. Don't see Dillon as a full forward though.

It's a team that is good in parts and good players around but not strong enough in a few key areas. The competition for places on the panel as you mention is good and will hopefully promote the development of the younger lads coming in now. There'll be less lads resting on their laurels anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I was at the wexford game and I was very impressed with O Halloran. He played corner forward and was a constant outlet for ball coming from deep. He didn't score but he was fouled for a couple of frees and laid off some good ball. Also that surface wouldn't have suited him. He's not at the level of a few years back but it was promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I was at the wexford game and I was very impressed with O Halloran. He played corner forward and was a constant outlet for ball coming from deep. He didn't score but he was fouled for a couple of frees and laid off some good ball. Also that surface wouldn't have suited him. He's not at the level of a few years back but it was promising.

Not sure who you are talking about but it isn't o halloran

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DLS2THECORE

Interesting to see Shane Fives has transferred back to his home club Tourin. He'll be a big addition to them in their quest for intermediate honours. With Liam Lawlor on board as coach they could be worth an outside bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Interesting to see Shane Fives has transferred back to his home club Tourin. He'll be a big addition to them in their quest for intermediate honours. With Liam Lawlor on board as coach they could be worth an outside bet.

We've seen transfers blocked before and players not tog out.

hardybuck wrote: »
    We've seen transfers blocked before and players not tog out.

Who would stop a player from returning to his original club though?

As its an inter-county transfer I couldn't see it being blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Slobbery wrote: »
    Who would stop a player from returning to his original club though?

As its an inter-county transfer I couldn't see it being blocked

Sorry I read that completely wrong! I saw back and read blocked.

Big coup alright.

• Advertisement

Be happy to see Barron and O Halloran back in there this year. If Brian O'Halloran just got a clear run at it, I'm convinced he was the best of the 2009 Minor team and the best forward produced until maybe Stephen Bennett and Patrick Curran.

Bourke is a bit young for full back, wouldn't like him facing Callinan or Richie Power even though he looks a great hurler on the back of last year. Again, Austin Gleeson is quite young to be playing center back even though I'm sure that's where his future is and he adds the height to the forwards. At the same time, not sure what Brick has left in the legs back there. Don't trust Moran there, he's an out and out midfielder.

Think we need another corner back as well as Paudie Prender isn't one, but a wing back option. Good wing backs, strong midfield. Dunford made a very promising start, and Mahony is no doubt a serious talent but a bit slow. Don't see Dillon as a full forward though.

It's a team that is good in parts and good players around but not strong enough in a few key areas. The competition for places on the panel as you mention is good and will hopefully promote the development of the younger lads coming in now. There'll be less lads resting on their laurels anyway.

Thats fair enough. I was just sketching out a team for the league that looks familar enough, not perfect but one that can be built upon toward the summer. I'm trying to highlight that we don't have to rely on the 2013 minors as we keep being informed we must do in the media. They'll come thru in good time. In fact the team will be mostly made up of players from the 2009 minor / U21 teams who still have their best years ahead of them.

As for player positions that'll settle later in the year no harm having a look at a few different things. Even with Tipp last year their 3 Mahers were changing positions right up to the end of All Ireland replay, In Kilkenny where's Mick Fennelly gonna play.. thats the modern way. Lads we didn't see much last year like Barron, Philip Mahony, O Halloran, Shan, Daniels and a fully fit Daragh Fives would be some boost going forward. The main jersey that needs to be filled is no 3, Coughlan has it at the moment but whoever it is I would be happy to see him mark Callinan or Power cause if we played Tipp or the Cats this summer we'll be doing alright.

Looking at the examiner today the constraints of the team budget is evident for all to see. A difficult obstacle for any manager

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/waterford-gaanbspdelighted-at-euro12497-surplus-302674.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement