Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭flatty

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Modeligo 5-12 Castlemartyr 0-14

Modeligo gave a very impressive performance in coasting to victory over prematch favourites Castlemartyr in the Munster Club Junior Hurling Championship final in Mallow today.

Modeligo dominated this game in all sectors and could well have won even more comfortably. Their defence, and especially their fullback line, were outstanding and never gave the Castlemartyr forwards a sniff of a goal. Castlemartyr’s starting forward line scored just two points from play. Ten of their points came from frees, nine of them scored by corner forward Barry Lawton. Most of the frees were conceded out the field, with the Modeligo defence making very few concessions close to goal.

By contrast, five of Modeligo’s starting forwards scored 5-9 between them, with Jamie Troy adding three points from frees. It may seem surprising that they have their best player, Tom Devine, playing at full forward, but you can’t argue with the fact that he scored two goals and set up two more. I always thought that Waterford should have played Ken McGrath at full forward for the same reason.

The game was played on a bright but cold day on a reasonably good pitch for the time of year, although the strong low sun caused some problems for the players in the first half.

The opening exchanges were pretty even, but Modeligo drove the first nail into the Castlemartyr coffin after 12 minutes when Tom Devine’s handpass sent corner forward Michael Troy in on goal and he finished beautifully to the corner of the net off his hurley. A few minutes later Devine seized on a loose ball 20 metres out to run through and finish expertly to the net. About ten minutes later Devine was again the creator, when he appeared to lose possession under pressure from his marker but managed to get the ball across the goalmouth where Michael Troy was again in position to blast to the net. Half-time score: Modeligo 3-6 Castlemartyr 0-6.

Castlemartyr upped their game considerably at the start of the second half and, taking over around the centre of the field, reeled off four points in a row to reduce the deficit to five points. A Castlemartyr goal at this stage, and anything could have happened. Instead, it was Modeligo who seized the opportunity to drive yet another nail into the Corkmen’s coffin. Under pressure on the right, a Modeligo player managed to bat the ball upwards to the edge of the Castlemartyr square. Here, another Modeligo player (sorry I don’t have the names) made contact but the goalie managed to knock the ball down across the goal, only for Jamie Troy to beat his marker to the loose ball and get it over the line.

Castlemartyr continued to win good possession and went looking for goals to get them back into the game. They did manage to create a few openings, but these were quickly closed off by the alert Modeligo defence so that Donal O’Keeffe in goal never got a shot to save in the whole game. With ten minutes to go it was all up for Castlemartyr when Tom Devine, who had moved out to the half line, ran on to Jamie Troy’s excellent pass to accelerate past the defence and blast an unstoppable shot to the net. After that, Modeligo were able to empty their bench to give the maximum number of players experience of playing in a Munster final.

I would say that, overall, Modeligo looked better balanced and were better hurlers than Ballysaggart last year – and, of course, they had their own Stephen Bennett in the shape of Tom Devine. There has been mention on this board that he is being looked at as a possible future fullback for the county seniors, but on the basis of the evidence here and in previous games, full forward may be a better option. His combination of size, strength, mobility, skill and temperament is quite formidable.

Fair dues also to coach Pa Kearney who had his charges in fine fettle today. While they did make mistakes and lost their shape at times, their touch was generally excellent, they dominated the physical exchanges, their interplay was excellent and they certainly were up for the game.

Modeligo next play Fullen Gaels from Manchester in the All-Ireland quarter-final at an English venue in January. Fullen Gaels won the All-Britain Junior Hurling Championship three times in a row between 2010-2012, and only lost the All-Ireland final to Thomastown of Kilkenny by three points (2-17 to 2-14) in 2013. With Kilburn of London beating Mullinavat in the intermediate quarter-final last Saturday, clearly the top English teams cannot be taken lightly at this level and I am sure Modeligo will be well-prepared for this challenge.

Modeligo: Donal O’Keeffe; John McGrath; Brian McCarthy; Robbie Buckley; Shane Troy; Pat Fitzgerald; Seán O’Donovan; Pat O’Donovan (0-1); Thomas Walsh; Kieran McCarthy (0-3); Jamie Troy (1-7, 4 frees); Nicky O’Donovan (0-1); Michael Troy (2-1); Tom Devine (2-0); Patrick Walsh.

Castlemartyr: Éanna McGovern; Oliver Smiddy; Robert O’Donovan; Eoin Ronayne; Donncha Ó Tuama; Brian Smiddy; Adrian Bowens; Brian Ó Tuama (0-1); Barra Ó Tuama; Damien McAuliffe; Brian Lawton (0-1); Jamie Stack (0-1, free); Cian Haines; Mike O’Neill; Barry Lawton (0-10, 8 frees, 1 65). Sub: Eddie Clifford (0-1)
    Fullen Gaels are very strong this year. They are stronger than they were when they nearly won the aif three years ago. I fully expect them to win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hurling man

Not sure about that Madeligo are a serious outfit some would say they are far better equipped then ballysaggart were last year to challenge for all Ireland honours. I know the Munster semi final was a bit of a test but I would worry about there lack of really close competitive matches.i think they are playing the 10 of January which surely gives them an edge as well, the Gaels lads will surely be all over the place at Christmas with lads returning home.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

3 more Dungarvan players have been asked to join the senior set up but have declined and apparently the Lismore goal keeper has asked not to be considered for the year aswell. Also believe there is a fine and maybe a suspension due,arising from the mess up in the challenge game against Wexford. The suspension could be handed out to the Wexford goalie for his part in stepping in after Socky was given his marching orders. Derek Lyons has made his ambitions clear by stating he was the u21 job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Thats bollocks if the Wexford keeper gets a suspension for a Waterford fcuk up

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

archieknox wrote: »
    3 more Dungarvan players have been asked to join the senior set up but have declined and apparently the Lismore goal keeper has asked not to be considered for the year aswell. Also believe there is a fine and maybe a suspension due,arising from the mess up in the challenge game against Wexford. The suspension could be handed out to the Wexford goalie for his part in stepping in after Socky was given his marching orders. Derek Lyons has made his ambitions clear by stating he was the u21 job.

Is Sean Power out of the running so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

deisedude wrote: »
    Thats bollocks if the Wexford keeper gets a suspension for a Waterford fcuk up

Wouldn't have thought challenge suspensions would carry any weight.

When are they gonna decide who will be 21s coach? Cork are already training.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Wouldn't have thought challenge suspensions would carry any weight.

When are they gonna decide who will be 21s coach? Cork are already training.

It's bit late to be starting alright

Tipp and clare have been training a while

Limerick are back

Cork are recently started

I had thought under twenty one was decided

What's lyons like

It's bit late to be starting alright

Tipp and clare have been training a while

Limerick are back

Cork are recently started

I had thought under twenty one was decided

What's lyons like

Waterford minor manager last year, thought he did well enough though they were a bit aimless v Kilkenny. That said, seen as people love talking about Waterford losing twice the year before, you could make the point that they drew with both all Ireland finalists last year despite having an inferior team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

I thought that Fintan O'Connor was the U21 manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Can anyone confirm that the senior challenge v Clare is going ahead tonight ?

• Advertisement

Can anyone confirm that the senior challenge v Clare is going ahead tonight ?

Seven thirty

Hopeful some one do match report here

Would love go this but callaghan cup final cork tonight in school hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

tomasmcc twitter -- interesting team

Waterford: ORegan Fives Coughlan Morrissey OBrien Gleeson OSullivan ONeill Breathnach Moran Connors Walsh Bennett Devine Dillon

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

@tomasmcc: Half Time Waterford 0-13 Clare 0-6 10 points from Martin O'Neill including 4 65s Bobby Duggan scored four for Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Clare win 2nd half 2.14 to 4 points jasus

• Registered Users Posts: 32 goldfinger4296

Clare 2 20 Waterford 0 17 A 16 point turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

I'd say Derek is down on his knees praying that Paddy Joe doesn't get County Board Chairman because if he does he's dead man walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Not much to be said for the match. 11 subs brought on for us in the 2nd half, lost all cohesion we had in first half. From a positive point of view we created 6 great goal scoring chances in the first half, from which we got 3 points. In the first half Brick was good, Shane Bennett had his moments as did Tom Devine and Tomas Connors in the forwards. Donie B and martin o Neill went well in midfield, Aussie read the game very well from 6 but some of his decision making in possession was suspect. Gavin o brien played ok as did Shane fives, the issue was in the first half we were playing with a good breeze and against a Clare team with no more than 2 likely starters. When Clare got some established players on (Bulger, Nicky o Connell, darach honan Shane golden) Waterford removed 11 of there's, Clare got one goal chance and took it, we gifted them a second goal at the end and missed a further 2 good chances. I think we got 6pts from play, Clare got 2 14 I think.

We run into contact they run from it, we still had no more than 3 players inside the 65 for most of the 1st half when we had the wind. Players breaking at speed from the middle of the field did create a slew of chances in the first half. Pitch was dreadful, maybe 300 people at it.

Paddy Joe Ryan (Fourmilewater) and Tim O'Byrne (Erins Own) will be competing for the position as chairman of the County board at the County Convention tomorrow night from 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Any more contests?

Just read it on site. A few of them I see

Jarjohn wrote: »
    Any more contests?

John Jackson and Joe Cleary for Treasurer. Kill's Michael O Regan new vice-chairman.

Three for Central Council delegate to succeed Ryan, namely Tom Cunningham, Pat Flynn and Tommy Hennessey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    I'd say Derek is down on his knees praying that Paddy Joe doesn't get County Board Chairman because if he does he's dead man walking.

What are you basing that assertion on exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

John Jackson and Joe Cleary for Treasurer. Kill's Michael O Regan new vice-chairman.

Three for Central Council delegate to succeed Ryan, namely Tom Cunningham, Pat Flynn and Tommy Hennessey.

Basically all the same clowns that dragged the county into the mire

Not sure about that Madeligo are a serious outfit some would say they are far better equipped then ballysaggart were last year to challenge for all Ireland honours. I know the Munster semi final was a bit of a test but I would worry about there lack of really close competitive matches.i think they are playing the 10 of January which surely gives them an edge as well, the Gaels lads will surely be all over the place at Christmas with lads returning home.

They are playing in a challenge over Christmas I think. They will be rightly confident, and should be. They will give any team plenty of it, and good luck to them. They fear no-one, nor should they.
    They themselves admit they underestimated the ulster lads last year, having beaten the Leinster champs, and had too much of an eye on the final. That won't be the case here. They have put serious work and resources into just this. They have now played I think five consecutive all Ireland junior series, and continue to improve. They have a very settled, balanced team, and look made for winter hurling. They held the London intermediate champs to two points in the all Britain final, which is unheard of, and are the backbone of the Warwickshire team which won the lory meagher. Modeligo will be very hard pushed here. If they win, it will be their toughest match yet. People back home always run down UK hurling, and it vexes me. This fullen Gaels team are a match for anyone in terms of effort, organisation, training and skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

December and we already look well off the pace :(

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

deisedude wrote: »
    December and we already look well off the pace :(

Reading the interview with Derek McGrath in the Examiner today is verging on nauseating. So self serving and utter dross.

No more talk of 3 year plans or any plan for that matter, just the same old blather about being in transition.

The attempt to reduce people's expectations for the year ahead and how poor selfless Derek might be doing all this work for someone else to come in after him and reap the benefits is just plain embarrassing and cringeworthy.

His attempt to cover up the lack of experience in the squad is pathetic.
    No mention of the forced retirements and his dropping of some real experienced players.

He mentions Iggy, who will not be playing unless Soky is out, Shane Sullivan, who shouldn't be next nor near the squad, as having experience.

All in all pathetic stuff and a metaphor for his management since last year. Aimless, leaderless, rudderless, toothless and totally lacking in any ambition.

A sign, if we ever needed one, that the guy is completely out of his depth with no idea of what he is doing or where we are going.!!

Truly disheartening stuff!!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/workaholic-mcgrath-content-to-lay-foundations-for-successor-303166.html

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Bit unfair Alf.. Unfortunately the players simply aren't there. He has brought on a bunch of young lads but there is a massive step up from minor to senior hurling. Many of those young lads haven't even played fitzgibbon yet. There is little point playing lads who have been there for the last four or five years and failed to deliver and are simply not good enough.. It will take time, maybe a year or two or more, for these lads to get up to speed with senior hurling.

Totally agree with last post said similar view on cork thread

Imo and I'm not waterford man so I don't have ties to it but seems he's grasping at straws
    You see this time and time again with poor management all levels, when there struggle all you hear is committed passionate individual preaching about old core values committed work ethic values etc
    Look at Brendan Rodgers all he says is applauds characters and work rate he's players, he's nothing else to praise
    Moyle was the same at United.

Denis walsh ex cork manager preached same value but proven with cork and club scene he's coaching was poor

The point missed is its useless unless you have good coaching, leaderships,Tactical awareness all qualities this set up you seriously even from outsider looking in can see

No sub goalies v wexford, coaches calibre frank flannery William maher leaving, four challenge matches losses so far, as admirable as work ethic is it clearly isn't enough or also to say we're bringing youth through and helping next management

If they slow down development this young talents there imo not helping next management.

???is can he Coach this youthful talent to the next level
    Doubtful imo purely based on results.
    Wasn't impressed by waterford v dublin at all.
    Looked a team lacking belief and leadership and direction all qualities that come imo from management.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Very honest article to be fair and most of the stuff he is saying correct. I'd genuinely think if the man came out and said the sky was blue there would be people come out and have a go at him for it.

The player's aren't there for him at the moment. It's that simple. How many of the current team right now could you say would walk onto the first team of any of the other four Munster hurling counties?

Whether a player plays or not, he can still be experienced. And in regards to the lads he got rid of, maybe they could have added a bit more experience to the panel but they simply wouldn't have been good enough to make the next step. By keeping them around you are only going to stump the development of younger lads.

I'm by no means a fan of Derek McGrath from his days with DLS. I have actually have sympathy for him now. In the end of the day he is a Waterford hurling man, he has not came down from Kilkenny or Cork to destroy Waterford hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Reading the interview with Derek McGrath in the Examiner today is verging on nauseating. So self serving and utter dross.

No more talk of 3 year plans or any plan for that matter, just the same old blather about being in transition.

The attempt to reduce people's expectations for the year ahead and how poor selfless Derek might be doing all this work for someone else to come in after him and reap the benefits is just plain embarrassing and cringeworthy.

His attempt to cover up the lack of experience in the squad is pathetic.
    No mention of the forced retirements and his dropping of some real experienced players.

He mentions Iggy, who will not be playing unless Soky is out, Shane Sullivan, who shouldn't be next nor near the squad, as having experience.

All in all pathetic stuff and a metaphor for his management since last year. Aimless, leaderless, rudderless, toothless and totally lacking in any ambition.

A sign, if we ever needed one, that the guy is completely out of his depth with no idea of what he is doing or where we are going.!!

Truly disheartening stuff!!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/workaholic-mcgrath-content-to-lay-foundations-for-successor-303166.html

It does come across as getting one big excuse in early - he is basically writing off his whole tenure already.

in saying that, the easiest thing in the world for D McGrath to do would be to keep all the same guys on board as last year and fail with them again.

in fairness to the guy it took balls to name the panel he did, in the long run it will benefit the county as I said before a few years after McGrath has left the scene. to be fair he is not in it just to protect his own reputation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement