Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Do you not think Fives would do well?

You may have a point, I wonder would Tadhg be waisted there

Lads i firmly believe Tadgh is going to be an out an out Centre back i think he is shaping like a lad has it all for no.6 he's too good for fullback if i dare say. . Forget Gleeson at no.6 too loose and wants to drive up the field on a run which is an excellent attribute to have but not for a centre back he could be much more danger from midfield eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Nagle was our best player in 2013, inexcusable how he was dropped. I'm half hoping we do poorly this year so McGrath will be shown the door ASAP. McGrath has had his own personal agendas ever since he got the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Lads i firmly believe Tadgh is going to be an out an out Centre back i think he is shaping like a lad has it all for no.6 he's too good for fullback if i dare say. . Forget Gleeson at no.6 too loose and wants to drive up the field on a run which is an excellent attribute to have but not for a centre back he could be much more danger from midfield eventually

Ya I like Burke aswell, watched last years games again tonight and Jesus he is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

If Philip Mahony comes back hitting the ground running, he's surely worth a midfield place possibly instead of SOS. Maybe the same for Daniels in corner back.
    MON and Jamie Barron have by all accounts being doing well in the challenge games and if they continue that good form into the Crystal cup and league then it'll be hard to drop them. Then again it could be a case of shoehorning them in somewhere and someone will have to lose out.

Dillon can blow hot and cold, maybe Dunford to come in there. Is Stephen Bennett even fit? Would be a great addition.
    Devine at FF would be interesting if he could maintain the club form but it's a big step up.
    Hopefully Maurice comes back but we at least have a few options in the half forward line if he doesn't or is not showing any form.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Dunford is the first forward on the team sheet for me. 2-2 against Wexford, was taken down for a pen and 4/5 scorable frees. It really was impressive especially in a forward line that wasn't. Also he was maybe the only player against Cork in the replay who didn't flounder and his injury that day was probably the most depressing moment of the match (which is saying something)

whoever is FB for the league there is some serious no14s in that division so I expect him to be fully tested. You still think Taghe Burke will cover whereever the need is greatest at the back, it could be full back. Last year against Cork we needed him to mark Cadogan, Horgan and Lehane at times..
    Would Mahony or Daniels be outside bets for FB, good defenders the 2 of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Nagle was our best player in 2013, inexcusable how he was dropped. I'm half hoping we do poorly this year so McGrath will be shown the door ASAP. McGrath has had his own personal agendas ever since he got the job.

Nagle wasn't our best player in 2013. We actually got 2 all star nominations in 2013 and he wasn't one of them. Time to stop that nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Cake Man wrote: »
    If Philip Mahony comes back hitting the ground running, he's surely worth a midfield place possibly instead of SOS. Maybe the same for Daniels in corner back.
    MON and Jamie Barron have by all accounts being doing well in the challenge games and if they continue that good form into the Crystal cup and league then it'll be hard to drop them. Then again it could be a case of shoehorning them in somewhere and someone will have to lose out.

Dillon can blow hot and cold, maybe Dunford to come in there. Is Stephen Bennett even fit? Would be a great addition.
    Devine at FF would be interesting if he could maintain the club form but it's a big step up.
    Hopefully Maurice comes back but we at least have a few options in the half forward line if he doesn't or is not showing any form.

I would try mahony centre back....as the management appear to have wrote this year off as it.....why build for the future with the brick as good as he was wont be there in five years (if he is...Waterford hurling is fcked)
    are there any of them currens from dungarvan playing this year...iknow they are right young

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Nagle isnt that quick, but he was hitting serious ball into the forwards in 2013 that stuck. We were lucky to have one forward in that half of the field at times last year. A team with a keeper, 13 halfbacks/midfielders and BOS doesn't need that type of player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Ropaire wrote: »
    Nagle isnt that quick, but he was hitting serious ball into the forwards in 2013 that stuck. We were lucky to have one forward in that half of the field at times last year. A team with a keeper, 13 halfbacks/midfielders and BOS doesn't need that type of player.

jesus that brings back depressing memories of last year....how much longer has McGrath got the contract??

jesus that brings back depressing memories of last year....how much longer has McGrath got the contract??

Hopefully not that long, our new chairman might give us a nice Christmas present with some luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

In six to eight years time waterford hurling and football I suspect will be in a great place. For years this county has been playing catch up and a somewhat professional style coaching system has been implemented at underage level by people holding sport science and strength and conditioning degrees and has put waterford into the right size shoes going forward.

I have read from page 696 to 714 and was shocked by what I was reading; this negativity is the main problem. I remember reading somewhere "hopefully there will be more funding" "funding" is what I focused in on, something I believe that the GAA isn't meant to be about. You don't need funding to be competitive. Tim Lenehan said four words he read out of Jim Mcguinness's autobiography at County Minor football training this year:

Commit, Focus, Believe, Achieve.

That is something both minor teams have agreed is their philosophy this year. Without the first one you cannot have the last three. I believe that this can be transferred over to any team. I do not know why McGrath doesn't believe we can be competitive at senior hurling. If Donegal showed anything last year is that any team can be defeated on any given day. But you need those Four words mentioned above.

If McGrath or any member on the panel does not believe they can mount an all Ireland challenge he and them member(s) should be replaced. The talent is always there. Believe. I don't see why we cant challenge, they are given free gym membership, strength and conditioning plans and nutritional diets the same as every other county. The difference between this team, and Kilkenny is that when Kilkenny players step out onto the field they expect to win. When the 2002/2004/2007 Waterford teams stepped out onto the field they believe they would win. This sport has turned into a psylocigal game and I don't think anyone can say otherwise after seeing Donegal. Disregarding the system, these players were average but Jim McGuiness came in and used psylocigal to turn a team ranked 19th in Ireland to winning an All Ireland. Simply Instilling four words into them:

Commit, Focus, Believe, Achieve

I also know that hurling and football has turned away from just skill. I recently read that only 2% of hurling is possession, 49% movement, 22% standing and I forget the rest. Anyway watching games over the last two years fitness is what catches them, they all have ability but if you can't run your in trouble.
    And like stated in previous posts players lack legs and this should be fix. No human unless physically disabled cannot increase there speed and stamina. There are limitations of course, when your 6ft 4 your not going to be able to move at the same speed as someone who is 5ft 10. And this should be the managers job to see to it all players are 800metre runners. Fitness should not be a issue at this level. If you don't have the required fitness to perform you should not be playing at this level. Brick being in his 30 doesn't mean he can't run, this is something he needs to improve, which comes down to his diet and conditioning training. In ways of Anatomy Brick's body (which includes his legs has just reached their prime) his own lack of fitness is his own problem.

However as my first line said:
    "In six to eight years time waterford hurling and football I suspect will be in a great place."

I think Minor success is the foundation in which to build a successful county in both codes. The difference between Minors and Seniors is the Minors believe they can win any game and believe that they would start for any county in the country. Not being fazed by Kilkenny, Tipp etc.

My predicted team in the next six to eight years is:
    1) SOK
    2) Noel Connors
    3) Kevin Daly
    4) Jack Mullaney
    5) Tahgd De Burke
    6) Conor Prunty
    7) Dara Fives
    8) Darragh Lyons
    9) Tom Devine
    10) Austin Gleeson
    11) Padraic Mahony
    12) Conor Gleeson
    13) Colin Dunford
    14) Cormac Curran
    15) Patrick Curran

6-8 years we'll be a dominating forefront county. Interestingly Conor Prunty who is 6ft 4/5 and currently 17 can move and can play full back. I know people will comment not to be using the future as an excuse. I believe that while the team mentioned above is the future the current team can compete for an all Ireland, the players are there. Maybe not the management but Waterford is not an attractive county to manage.

Personally I would rather Jason Ryan who manages Kildare football as manager. He is a Waterford native who played dual county minor and Dual senior for London aswell as Senior Football for Waterford.
    The reasons why he is the perfect manager is because firstly he believes Kildare can win the all Ireland despite the team he has.

He also follows the philosophy:

He comes from a Sport Science background aswell as being a Pe and Biology teacher he has turned Kildare into one of the fittest counties in Ireland in one year. Fittest is what will win all Ireland's, it's not about skill anymore. He would bring in a professional system like in Kildare in regards to dealing with the underage system, viewing young players and how club championship is run. Waterford's current backroom staff is made up of the likes of Dan Shanahan, a great player in his day but was never a leader or has a actually sports background. Waterford Minor football has a more professional structure regarding trained mentors, e.g
    Tim Lenehan - Strength and Conditioning
    Dave Nugent - PE and biology teacher

All Waterford hurlers have the skill but they lack Fitness and are going to continue to lack it until a management system is implement where fitness being the main element. Do all the ball work you want, but if you can't run your going nowhere at this level.

Hopefully people will stop criticising McGrath and that he favours players, give him time to develop the squad. But if he doesn't we can't win an all Ireland this year he should be gone, along with all the players who have the same belief.
    Waterford needs to live off those words:

If we do, there will be success.

Football - I believe we can compete in this aswell, in ten years time why can't Waterford be div 2/1 and competing with other counties. The current minor and past minor set ups show there will be a strong team in ten years because they follow the words that are being drilled into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hurling man

Just carrying on from my earlier post I think as I said Tadgh is the answer at full back as far as the fives go I would see Darragh as a real possibility for full back or centre back his record in the Fitzgibbon with Ucc speaks for itself granted its played at a different time of year.maybe Shane is too although I thought he was a little naive when he played there. As for wasting Tadgh there i think the answer for that is jj surely he would have had hurling to be outstanding at wing back for years but you can't win anything if you are conceding goals or relying on a fullback that is so slow he needs to pull all the men near to him so he doesn't get exposed. ( we have been guilty of that for the last number of years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

In six to eight years time waterford hurling and football I suspect will be in a great place. For years this county has been playing catch up and a somewhat professional style coaching system has been implemented at underage level by people holding sport science and strength and conditioning degrees and has put waterford into the right size shoes going forward.

I have read from page 696 to 714 and was shocked by what I was reading; this negativity is the main problem. I remember reading somewhere "hopefully there will be more funding" "funding" is what I focused in on, something I believe that the GAA isn't meant to be about. You don't need funding to be competitive. Tim Lenehan said four words he read out of Jim Mcguinness's autobiography at County Minor football training this year:

That is something both minor teams have agreed is their philosophy this year. Without the first one you cannot have the last three. I believe that this can be transferred over to any team. I do not know why McGrath doesn't believe we can be competitive at senior hurling. If Donegal showed anything last year is that any team can be defeated on any given day. But you need those Four words mentioned above.

If McGrath or any member on the panel does not believe they can mount an all Ireland challenge he and them member(s) should be replaced. The talent is always there. Believe. I don't see why we cant challenge, they are given free gym membership, strength and conditioning plans and nutritional diets the same as every other county. The difference between this team, and Kilkenny is that when Kilkenny players step out onto the field they expect to win. When the 2002/2004/2007 Waterford teams stepped out onto the field they believe they would win. This sport has turned into a psylocigal game and I don't think anyone can say otherwise after seeing Donegal. Disregarding the system, these players were average but Jim McGuiness came in and used psylocigal to turn a team ranked 19th in Ireland to winning an All Ireland. Simply Instilling four words into them:

I also know that hurling and football has turned away from just skill. I recently read that only 2% of hurling is possession, 49% movement, 22% standing and I forget the rest. Anyway watching games over the last two years fitness is what catches them, they all have ability but if you can't run your in trouble.
    And like stated in previous posts players lack legs and this should be fix. No human unless physically disabled cannot increase there speed and stamina. There are limitations of course, when your 6ft 4 your not going to be able to move at the same speed as someone who is 5ft 10. And this should be the managers job to see to it all players are 800metre runners. Fitness should not be a issue at this level. If you don't have the required fitness to perform you should not be playing at this level. Brick being in his 30 doesn't mean he can't run, this is something he needs to improve, which comes down to his diet and conditioning training. In ways of Anatomy Brick's body (which includes his legs has just reached their prime) his own lack of fitness is his own problem.

However as my first line said:
    "In six to eight years time waterford hurling and football I suspect will be in a great place."

I think Minor success is the foundation in which to build a successful county in both codes. The difference between Minors and Seniors is the Minors believe they can win any game and believe that they would start for any county in the country. Not being fazed by Kilkenny, Tipp etc.

My predicted team in the next six to eight years is:
    1) SOK
    2) Noel Connors
    3) Kevin Daly
    4) Jack Mullaney
    5) Tahgd De Burke
    6) Conor Prunty
    7) Dara Fives
    8) Darragh Lyons
    9) Tom Devine
    10) Austin Gleeson
    11) Padraic Mahony
    12) Conor Gleeson
    13) Colin Dunford
    14) Cormac Curran
    15) Patrick Curran

6-8 years we'll be a dominating forefront county. Interestingly Conor Prunty who is 6ft 4/5 and currently 17 can move and can play full back. I know people will comment not to be using the future as an excuse. I believe that while the team mentioned above is the future the current team can compete for an all Ireland, the players are there. Maybe not the management but Waterford is not an attractive county to manage.

Personally I would rather Jason Ryan who manages Kildare football as manager. He is a Waterford native who played dual county minor and Dual senior for London aswell as Senior Football for Waterford.
    The reasons why he is the perfect manager is because firstly he believes Kildare can win the all Ireland despite the team he has.

He also follows the philosophy:

He comes from a Sport Science background aswell as being a Pe and Biology teacher he has turned Kildare into one of the fittest counties in Ireland in one year. Fittest is what will win all Ireland's, it's not about skill anymore. He would bring in a professional system like in Kildare in regards to dealing with the underage system, viewing young players and how club championship is run. Waterford's current backroom staff is made up of the likes of Dan Shanahan, a great player in his day but was never a leader or has a actually sports background. Waterford Minor football has a more professional structure regarding trained mentors, e.g
    Tim Lenehan - Strength and Conditioning
    Dave Nugent - PE and biology teacher

All Waterford hurlers have the skill but they lack Fitness and are going to continue to lack it until a management system is implement where fitness being the main element. Do all the ball work you want, but if you can't run your going nowhere at this level.

Hopefully people will stop criticising McGrath and that he favours players, give him time to develop the squad. But if he doesn't we can't win an all Ireland this year he should be gone, along with all the players who have the same belief.
    Waterford needs to live off those words:

If we do, there will be success.

Football - I believe we can compete in this aswell, in ten years time why can't Waterford be div 2/1 and competing with other counties. The current minor and past minor set ups show there will be a strong team in ten years because they follow the words that are being drilled into them.

Great post - you are dead right!

There is no way Tipp would have won the All Ireland in 2010 without huge belief - everyone thought stopping kilkenny doing the 5 in a row was an impossible job, but Liam sheedy instilled belief, made the players work like dogs and they got their reward.

If a manger doesn't believe how can the players? Mcgraths comments were just so disappointing.

Really great post though, the reason small places like newtownshandrum win club all Ireland's, Ballyduff upper win senior counties in recent times is because of what you mention above.
    The so called small guy or underdog can make it to the top, it doesn't always have to be the most talented or skilful team, not in our games, they have to be played with passion and a team with All these qualities above in Gealic games are a hard team to stop.

Love your positivity. Fact is for years we were unique in that most of our players had no underage success or would have come in for a lot of beatings underage, yet they turned the tables at senior and beat those counties as adult players, a rare occurrence in hurling. Yet now when we have underage pedigree we are pessimistic all of a sudden. We should be feeling more bullish than ever.

Funding as far as I am aware Tipp did not go on a foreign training camp this year but did have a training camp in clonea strand in the facilities there. We don't have to go away, the facilities are here on our doorstep, keep things simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Just carrying on from my earlier post I think as I said Tadgh is the answer at full back as far as the fives go I would see Darragh as a real possibility for full back or centre back his record in the Fitzgibbon with Ucc speaks for itself granted its played at a different time of year.maybe Shane is too although I thought he was a little naive when he played there. As for wasting Tadgh there i think the answer for that is jj surely he would have had hurling to be outstanding at wing back for years but you can't win anything if you are conceding goals or relying on a fullback that is so slow he needs to pull all the men near to him so he doesn't get exposed. ( we have been guilty of that for the last number of years)

I like you did not think Shane Fives showed the instinct to be full back, he got sucked out a few times leaving the incoming forward the easy Option to Handpass a ball inside him for a goal, so I don't think he is the answer.

No player is wasted anywhere, players play where they are needed, I am sure most players, even most corner and full backs see themselves as swashbuckling centre backs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Ropaire wrote: »
    Hopefully not that long, our new chairman might give us a nice Christmas present with some luck.

Not going to happen now so forget about it. As much as I'm not a fan of McGrath in charge as the next man I dont think any good would come of removing him now, with all the plans in place for the coming season. I know paddy Joe is renowned for his keen interest in the horses but I cant see him wanting to change this particular one mid stream.
    But I do beleive that if this season is anything like last mcgrath will be gone at the end of the year. One year ahead of the end of his 3 year term. McGrath will be told in no uncertain terms that he can dress things up whatever way he wants and downplay the teams chances as much as he likes but improvement and performances are paramount on the field of play. PJ Ryan is a realist he wont be demanding all Ireland's straight away. But he is a strong believer in Waterford and wont stand for any of the losing mentality underdog nonsense that we have had to endure from McGrath since he was given the job over 12 months ago. As someone said here already Ryan was able to lift the county before when it was in the doldrums and he is the right man to lift us out of the hole again

You're right, Mcgrath is there for the year and a serious attitude change is needed. Imagine a coach reading that article from the examiner to you before a game, it'd suck.all morale out of the team. Imagine reading it out while someone like Roy Keane was on that team, theres sure to be a few unhappy players in the camp with the excuses and negativity being thrown about by McGrath. If he thinks this team isnt up to it he can cancel the overseas trip and keep them here for fitness training, they sorely lacked it last year. Brickeyvalley in as a motivational speaker would be good to, good post and exactly what we don't have. Some tactical astuteness is badly missing as well

Saw on twitterr we are playing Kilkenny Tipp and Clare before the 1st league game against Limerick.

Probably the top 3 teams in the country so that should be a good benchmark.

The Clare game is 1 week before the Limerick game. Also wonder if SOK's red card in that challenge against Wexford will keep him out of that Limerick game.

My 15 going off the current panel for Limerick game

SOK

Connors S Fives Daniels

T Burke Brick D Fives
    M Harnedy SOS
    M shanahan P Mahony A Gleeson
    S Bennet T devine B o Sullivan.

Is Patrick curran playing with the seniors does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Saw on twitterr we are playing Kilkenny Tipp and Clare before the 1st league game against Limerick.

The Clare game is 1 week before the Limerick game. Also wonder if SOK's red card in that challenge against Wexford will keep him out of that Limerick game.

SOK

Connors S Fives Daniels

T Burke Brick D Fives
    M Harnedy SOS

Patrick Curran is definitely not involved with the seniors this year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

SOK

Connors S Fives Daniels

T Burke Brick D Fives
    M Harnedy SOS

Harney hasn't started a game for the seniors yet, and you've him playing midfield! Has Daniels played yet even? Bennett won't be playing anytime soon with that hip problem and Tom Devine won't be training much because of the club championship in Jan!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SkipFC

Here's something I've wrote on the Junior championship being restructured.

www(dot)skippykelly.wordpress.com/2014/12/28/the-clashmore-conundrum/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Is it true Derek mcgrath want a role with waterford under twenty hurling team!?? As well as the senior

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

SkipFC wrote: »
    Here's something I've wrote on the Junior championship being restructured.

www(dot)skippykelly.wordpress.com/2014/12/28/the-clashmore-conundrum/

Its a ****ing disgrace if Clashmore are not relegated. This kind of **** is what puts off players, particularly those that dont play at the elite level - no justice in the game. How in Gods name is this being allowed to go through? Promotion can be decided on any given year by who had clout at committee meetings??

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Harney hasn't started a game for the seniors yet, and you've him playing midfield! Has Daniels played yet even? Bennett won't be playing anytime soon with that hip problem and Tom Devine won't be training much because of the club championship in Jan!

There is 3 more challenge games plus the crystal so Harney may get a turn.

Not sure about Daniels haven't been home in 2 years so boards and the online stuff is my only source.

I thought Stephen Bennet came on the last day in the Challenge, surely he wouldnt be risking him in a challenge if he still had Hip problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

I thought Stephen Bennet came on the last day in the Challenge, surely he wouldnt be risking him in a challenge if he still had Hip problems?

That was his younger brother Shane Bennett.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 goldfinger4296

Any date and venue for the Clare challenge. Where on Twitter was it announced

Any date and venue for the Clare challenge. Where on Twitter was it announced

On in six miles bridge

Week before opener v limerick that's live on setanta

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

On in six miles bridge

Week before opener v limerick that's live on setanta

Just from observing your posts on this forum you seem to have an indepth knowledge of all things gaelic games. I was just wondering have you been involved with any teams? Be it as a trainer or as a selector

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Is it true Derek mcgrath want a role with waterford under twenty hurling team!?? As well as the senior

This was discussed in an interview with Derek McGrath last weeks News and Star. He wanted a more cohesive link between the senior and U21 panels. Originally it was thought Fintan O Connor would be U21 manager and senior selector, then it was expected the as yet unannounced 4th selector would perform the dual role, now Derek McGrath stated in this article that he now seems to be thinking about being U21 coach.
    You would think with such a good U21 panel available it would be an easy appointment. Only 5 of the match day panel last year are over age while no Bennett or Curran started there was also the likes of Tom Devine and DJ Foran on the bench. There is also a batch from last years minor panel who could make a serious impact.
    As yet only Derek Lyons, last years minor manager, has been mentioned as a viable managerial candidate. At the end of the minor campaign , he seemed to rule himself out of going any further with Waterford but probably now sees nobody else really wants it. I think he'd be a good choice. Another possible candidate would be Paul Flynn who has experience at this level and guided Ballygunner to the U21 title here last month. Flynn however didn't seem too enthused with Derek McGrath's hurling philosophy (or lack of it) in an analytical piece written after the Wexford senior defeat last year so I don't know if they could work together.
    Derek McGrath seems to blame last years defeat to the Yellowbellies on the fall out from the U21 defeat to Cork. This deflated the (U21) players so much that he had 2nd thoughts on using them for the Senior game and that the “mood within the county” had led him to change the gameplan he had prepared to a more orthodox man to man approach. My opinion is that Dunford and Gleeson done ok !!! and Taghe Burke was played out of position in midfield where if you were going man v man at the back then he's your man. He mentioned that he thought he should start Seamus Prendergast and Molumphy instead of U21 players. However he didn't and when Shane Walsh went off injured he brought on an U21 player and not the one of the great campaigners above.
    Now McGrath wants to guard against such a thing happening again by taking control of both senior and U21 panels. It'll be a good thing to co-ordinate Senior and U21 training and challenge matches through the late spring but why that couldn't be done last year or any year I don't know. I just get the feeling that the Waterford Senior Hurling panel won't be as young as reported and that Derek McGrath's ascertation the the process of developing young players needing to start now is a little premature. Hence the interest in the U21 panel.

3ships wrote: »
    This was discussed in an interview with Derek McGrath last weeks News and Star. He wanted a more cohesive link between the senior and U21 panels. Originally it was thought Fintan O Connor would be U21 manager and senior selector, then it was expected the as yet unannounced 4th selector would perform the dual role, now Derek McGrath stated in this article that he now seems to be thinking about being U21 coach.
    You would think with such a good U21 panel available it would be an easy appointment. Only 5 of the match day panel last year are over age while no Bennett or Curran started there was also the likes of Tom Devine and DJ Foran on the bench. There is also a batch from last years minor panel who could make a serious impact.
    As yet only Derek Lyons, last years minor manager, has been mentioned as a viable managerial candidate. At the end of the minor campaign , he seemed to rule himself out of going any further with Waterford but probably now sees nobody else really wants it. I think he'd be a good choice. Another possible candidate would be Paul Flynn who has experience at this level and guided Ballygunner to the U21 title here last month. Flynn however didn't seem too enthused with Derek McGrath's hurling philosophy (or lack of it) in an analytical piece written after the Wexford senior defeat last year so I don't know if they could work together.
    Derek McGrath seems to blame last years defeat to the Yellowbellies on the fall out from the U21 defeat to Cork. This deflated the (U21) players so much that he had 2nd thoughts on using them for the Senior game and that the “mood within the county” had led him to change the gameplan he had prepared to a more orthodox man to man approach. My opinion is that Dunford and Gleeson done ok !!! and Taghe Burke was played out of position in midfield where if you were going man v man at the back then he's your man. He mentioned that he thought he should start Seamus Prendergast and Molumphy instead of U21 players. However he didn't and when Shane Walsh went off injured he brought on an U21 player and not the one of the great campaigners above.
    Now McGrath wants to guard against such a thing happening again by taking control of both senior and U21 panels. It'll be a good thing to co-ordinate Senior and U21 training and challenge matches through the late spring but why that couldn't be done last year or any year I don't know. I just get the feeling that the Waterford Senior Hurling panel won't be as young as reported and that Derek McGrath's ascertation the the process of developing young players needing to start now is a little premature. Hence the interest in the U21 panel.

Brilliant piece

Thanks

Happy new year to you and all here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

have you see this ?

http://t.co/zOFr8MZV2X

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement