Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

have you see this ?

http://t.co/zOFr8MZV2X

The media spin McGrath is working on is nothing short of pathetic. If he put is much effort into preparing the team we would be flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

have you see this ?

http://t.co/zOFr8MZV2X

The media spin McGrath is working on is nothing short of pathetic. If he put is much effort into preparing the team we would be flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

deisedude wrote: »

Why are you attacking Derek McGrath for something that was written by somebody else. There seems to be an agenda on here, to have a go at him regardless of what he does or says. I think it is time now to get behind him and support the team. That piece you are referring to was written by someone with no agendas either way as far as Waterford are concerned. It was his personal opinion and as I see it, is shared by a lot of hurling people within the county.
    I have no doubt there are many within the County who would love to see him fail but by the same account there are an awful lot more who want to see him succeed. They are the real supporters. I thought he made mistakes in his first season as manager but he has now freshened up the panel and added a new coach / selector who in my opinion is very good addition to the set up. I am also hearing good things about the new physical trainer. I also think it is a good idea to have somebody from the Senior set up involved with the u21s as the majority of the u21s are already involved with the panel.
    So, lets set the agendas aside and support the Team and Management for 2015. I , for one think we will beat Cork and reach the Munster Final and hopefully we can drive on from there. We are going in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Who ever wrote articlet he's imo following trend what some ex players stick to, seen it Cork many times where likes great teddy Mccarthy, etc attuide to defeats is very simplistic view in just go out give it all, give it spirit, tear In to your opponent, give hundred ten per cent, and results tale care themselves.
    This give it a lash jack attuide I don't agree with

I'm sorry but that just doesn't hold up now, or of it did cork would won all ireland and limerick last two years as work rate character, tearing in to opponents was there problem was both were simply out maneuvered by better teams tactically and this old school of though they have is imo outdated

He made reference to Laois In the article
    Interest of note imo he should take note of is Laois back room set up better than waterford,.
    Cheddar plunkett brings the work rate, the honesty. Passion Laois jersey but ger cunningham ul former backs Coach waterford for a bit, Newton all ireland winner Club manager and Ul and limerick and with many clubs like aware,tipp club etc brings modern tactical nous and the added coup of padraigh fanning ex waterford selector. Top top coach imo, has joined for next year so compare them to Laois and imo Laois have less talent but much much better management

Mcgrath has passion and pride like cheddar but clearly lacking tactical nous to direct waterford imo
    What Laois hurling actually have imo that waterford don't seem to have is they have direction under ger cunningham not just working with the senior but development squads also had big part in bring Donal o grady to Laois before Xmas to do coaching one the possession game which is Laois favoured style and their even working on that for younger generation
    Laois have also had Brendan Cummins doing work with them last year
    Laois my point won't just rely on hard work there relying on expertise coaches to guide them on their journey

This talk of tearing in to your opponent like Cody does, I'd say he'll Smile at that like a Cheshire cat that got the cream in he will be delighted that he's myth he doesn't do tactics or he can't read a game from the side line that he preached is actually being believed

Cody in fairness probably greatest tactical man ever, and in 2006 he tactical out witted cork and just look at dublin last year way he tactical dropped he midfield deeper to beat daly sweeper system

Of course he couldn't read the limerick game from the side line, he just got lucky making key subs that just changed the game, are we to belive that.
    Of course not.
    There's more to Kilkenney than tearing in to your opponent there's craft, guile, work ethic, hook and blocking and tactical awareness game management, and not one but two game plans that all comes imo from a great manager
    Everything we have seen of waterford so far doesn't portray imo mcgrath got the potential to become one

I think it's unfair just my opinion to portray some one as an agenda just cause they criticism a manager
    It's all well and good to say support a team, I think its fair to say all waterford want mcgrath to do well, and just cause they criticism doesn't mean they won't go to a match

Just my opinion of course but I often find the guys that criticsed the most with due cause are actually likely be ones go most matches. Real real love of their county and probably are outspoken simply cause they expect. Demand and want more of their county
    I heard news talk today mark Lawrenson described the newscastle fans
    He said it's fine to say they support their support team and their are loyal fans and passionate etc but that's all well and good but you must have realisim

Nobody expected waterford to win an all ireland but surely even the eternal optimistic can question waterford after a run of four defeats in a row,With challenge matches v tipp, Clare and Kilkenney still to come and then limerick, the non sub goal keeper in the panel so they had to embarrassing ask WExford for their keeper and the absence of Frank flannery, and William maher two proven coaches after year one, then waterford fans have just cause to question things, their the ones paying good money to follow their team in tough times

As for beating cork
    I'm sorry now but unless you can actually justify that with reasonable logic, imo that's just way way of the mark
    Cork clearly weren't full throttle the ist day but destroyed waterford in the replay and will be stronger next year much stronger and while they have lots to do waterford under current regime won't come close to cork
    What has this new selector success wise done??that he's better than flannery or maher
    Okay you say he's good but I need more to say fair point you're right

It's unfair to say the last poster imo is attacking mcgrath, he's purely solely questions him on the field of play
    You should read the irish times article on cork ladies football where Elaine Harte at just twenty two eleven years ago read statement demanding cork get new manager despite she clearly saying the panel really liked the current manager. Nothing personal, she knew it would hurt people but for sake cork ladies football she had do what she had to do

Whatever happened next??
    Well cork got new. A new manager.
    A proven manager won minior football all ireland cork, two senior county club titles, load success at all level any club lucky enough to have him

Changed culture of being no bodys to winners of nine out of ten all ireland, leagues, munster, countless all stars and of course ireland teams of the year in the public vote
    It all started because their attuide demanded more and they had the realism to see that imo

As for beating cork
    I'm sorry now but unless you can actually justify that with reasonable logic, imo that's just way way of the mark
    Cork clearly weren't full throttle the ist day but destroyed waterford in the replay and will be stronger next year much stronger and while they have lots to do waterford under current regime won't come close to cork

As I have stated earlier I believe that there were mistakes made last year and while Cork may not have been at full throttle the first day it would also be a fair assumption to say that Waterford were nowhere near their best the second day and dont forget that Cork were destroyed by Tipp in their last match of 2014. But we are predicting what may or may not happen in June 2015, and while you may not rate the current regime in Waterford there are many in your own county who have not got great confidence in your own regime (tactical nous etc). But as I said, a new year, a few new faces on the panel and on the management team and a few vital players back from injury ( reference the team I would like to see a few pages back ) , I think we have every reason to think we are capable of beating Cork.

What has this new selector success wise done??that he's better than flannery or maher

Fintan O Connor coached Cappoquin to a county and Munster Intermediate title this year 2014, he also was coach to WIT who won the Fitzgibbon in 2014 and had previously managed Fourmilewater to a County Senior semi final, the furthest they have ever got. He also along with Denis Ring managed Blackwater to an All Ireland Schools title. Denis Ring holds him in the highest regard, you should ask him as I assume you know him. Am I correct?

It's unfair to say the last poster imo is attacking mcgrath, he's purely solely questions him on the field of play

Why then was he referencing the newspaper article. What media spin is he talking about and what does he know about the preparation, where were the questions about the field of play.

Nobody expected waterford to win an all ireland but surely even the eternal optimistic can question waterford after a run of four defeats in a row,With challenge matches v tipp, Clare and Kilkenney still to come and then limerick, the non sub goal keeper in the panel so they had to embarrassing ask WExford for their keeper and the absence of Frank flannery, and William maher two proven coaches after year one, then waterford fans have just cause to question things, their the ones paying good money to follow their team in tough times

You should know more than most that Challenge matches in December are for trying out new players and some of the established ones in different positions, it is not about winning or losing. The teams we saw in those matches will be nowhere near the team that will line out against Cork next June. To be honest I thought we played well enough against Dublin and in the first half against Clare ( we made 11 substitutions at HT or early in the 2nd half of that match). And as far as the Goalkeeper thing is concerned the sub keeper cried off sick just before that match and with Waterford playing a Challenge the day before their was nobody else available. Storm in a tea cup.

• Advertisement

cascade12 wrote: »
    As for beating cork

As I have stated earlier I believe that there were mistakes made last year and while Cork may not have been at full throttle the first day it would also be a fair assumption to say that Waterford were nowhere near their best the second day and dont forget that Cork were destroyed by Tipp in their last match of 2014. But we are predicting what may or may not happen in June 2015, and while you may not rate the current regime in Waterford there are many in your own county who have not got great confidence in your own regime (tactical nous etc). But as I said, a new year, a few new faces on the panel and on the management team and a few vital players back from injury ( reference the team I would like to see a few pages back ) , I think we have every reason to think we are capable of beating Cork.

Fintan O Connor coached Cappoquin to a county and Munster Intermediate title this year 2014, he also was coach to WIT who won the Fitzgibbon in 2014 and had previously managed Fourmilewater to a County Senior semi final, the furthest they have ever got. He also along with Denis Ring managed Blackwater to an All Ireland Schools title. Denis Ring holds him in the highest regard, you should ask him as I assume you know him. Am I correct?

Why then was he referencing the newspaper article. What media spin is he talking about and what does he know about the preparation, where were the questions about the field of play.

You should know more than most that Challenge matches in December are for trying out new players and some of the established ones in different positions, it is not about winning or losing. The teams we saw in those matches will be nowhere near the team that will line out against Cork next June. To be honest I thought we played well enough against Dublin and in the first half against Clare ( we made 11 substitutions at HT or early in the 2nd half of that match). And as far as the Goalkeeper thing is concerned the sub keeper cried off sick just before that match and with Waterford playing a Challenge the day before their was nobody else available. Storm in a tea cup.

No I disagree and you still have not answered other key points I raided

Who is this coach you think is the saving grace

What has he done please

Challenge matches I do correctly as you say know lot about them and you can get key indication from them and that dublin match yere touch was absolutely way off imo dublin were fine but I expect that from ger cunningham who was as you know with ballygunner and ed coughlan with mayo, the football team now not the hurling team

You are perfectly entitled to disagree with me and I did answer your post about the coach (read above) and I did not say anything about a saving grace, I said he was a very good addition to the set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I don't think it was a Waterford man wrote the article TTM, if I was to guess I'd say Loughnane. I think that there are times when everything McGrath says is or does is used against him even if some of it is trivial or not even a particularly bad thing. Most of what he does is read in a negative light no matter what. If he wants to change that, however, he needs to get results. At the same time, not in challenge matches in December because nobody cares. We'll need to be close to promotion in the league and put in a good effort against whoever we play in the quarter final.

Having read 3ships summary of the article in the news and star, have to say I'm a bit disappointed. Blaming the mood in the County for a change in tactics that he is using as an excuse for defeat along with saying hed rather have started Molumphy and Prendergast when there was really no reason he couldn't have is also disheartening. I think the best thing he could do would be to say that we weren't good enough on or off the field and we need to be better, we will be better. A bit of conviction is badly required.

My apologies you did be fair answer the question but you had your answers right under mine so hard at first to distinguish in I thought my post firstly
    I'm sure you understand my oversight

O connor impressive absolutely now be fair
    Is he more impressive than flannery or maher, imo I don't think so
    Now flannery was also wanted by ring, to coach present cork minors but declined for other reasons you'll see probably soon

No I don't know Denis ring personally , it wouldn't matter a dime as I keep emotions out of it
    I have watched many ring team but know, don't know man if I know everyone I watch team in psst etc be lor cup tea etc

Point is what is new man going bring that two astute coaches had in maher and flannery yet couldn't do it waterford

Just my opinion problem isn't the coaching in more manager
    I can't speak why other poster posted that and I don't know him either but so what he posted article I done myself other in other threads numerous times, in article saying imo forget all expert management back room men but tear in your opponent And give lash jack simply is absolutely just my opinion nonsense in you need more to win all ireland then just tear in to your opponent

Your entitled to your opinion, so are others and say that they have agenda or against mcgrath complete nonsense when valid concerns

This year one nonsense that he needs time doesn't add up when jbm absolutely in year one on 2011 made huge progress and fitzmaurice and gavin and also mcguinness like wise

We all know two well cork have issues tactical but I think you will find is cork fans acknowledge that and say that on cork thread, difference is jbm and crowley have won before and mcgrath simply won't test them like Cody would

It's not just challenge matches in your building new team you go loosing run you will find it hard to get confidence momentum
    Building a young team imo winning challenges are vital more so than an expierenced senior team

There is valid reasons to doubt mcgrath based on performance and drop in standards in year one imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

[QUOTE=thinkstoomuch1;93648983
    As for beating cork

[/QUOTE]

Extraordinary level of confidence there. There is nowhere near the gulf in class between the 2 teams you are suggesting. Yes I would say Cork are a more balanced side and are probably a couple of years down the line to where Waterford are aiming to be at. But realistically this is an average enough cork side who imo have over achieved under jbm. If you were judging on quality of players at disposal I would say cork slightly better but not much in the difference. Waterford will too improve as you would expect any young team to. Mark my words there will be little to choose between these teams cone May. To completely write off a teams chances like that in a one off game in 6 months time in ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

If Derek McGrath has the team playing his lack of confidence negative brand of hurling with one man in the full forward line and nearly everyone in their own 65 then it should be an easy win for Cork again.

Extraordinary level of confidence there. There is nowhere near the gulf in class between the 2 teams you are suggesting. Yes I would say Cork are a more balanced side and are probably a couple of years down the line to where Waterford are aiming to be at. But realistically this is an average enough cork side who imo have over achieved under jbm. If you were judging on quality of players at disposal I would say cork slightly better but not much in the difference. Waterford will too improve as you would expect any young team to. Mark my words there will be little to choose between these teams cone May. To completely write off a teams chances like that in a one off game in 6 months time in ridiculous

You left out one key aera you judged on playing talent alone

No one ingredient ever made a cake
    To judge a team you also need manager to compliment the talent which I clearly many times said waterford had but it's ridiculous for you think imo waterford will beat cork with poor manager they have just my opinion

You left out one key aera you judged on playing talent alone

No one ingredient ever made a cake
    To judge a team you also need manager to compliment the talent which I clearly many times said waterford had but it's ridiculous for you think imo waterford will beat cork with poor manager they have just my opinion

Waterford are playing Limerick in February, not Cork. We had no hope (admittedly amongst ourselves) before the Cork game and in reality we should have won that game so I think while Cork are no doubt deserving favourites it's ridiculous to be talking about a game in June as a forgone conclusion on the 2nd day of the New Year.

Waterford are playing Limerick in February, not Cork. We had no hope (admittedly amongst ourselves) before the Cork game and in reality we should have won that game so I think while Cork are no doubt deserving favourites it's ridiculous to be talking about a game in June as a forgone conclusion on the 2nd day of the New Year.
    Where did I mention beating cork in league

No where you will find
    You know surely I know cork and waterford are in two different leagues
    I'm talking clearly regard championship
    Championship clearly you prepare now for
    Key indication can be got preparation you don't just turn up on the day

Where did I mention beating cork in league

No where you will find
    You know surely I know cork and waterford are in two different leagues
    I'm talking clearly regard championship
    Championship clearly you prepare now for
    Key indication can be got preparation you don't just turn up on the day

I know, my point is you're talking about a game that is 6 months away as if it's a foregone conclusion. Discussion should at the moment be on the league campaign, which comes before the championship.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Does anyone have the dates of the 3 challenge games in January?

deise_girl wrote: »
    Does anyone have the dates of the 3 challenge games in January?

20th kilkenny on all weather in waterford
    30th tipp fraher field
    7th clare in the bridge league 14th get grounds live setanta

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

20th kilkenny on all weather in waterford
    30th tipp fraher field
    7th clare in the bridge league 14th get grounds live setanta

Fantastic, glad to see they scheduled them around my exams nicely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

3ships wrote: »
    This was discussed in an interview with Derek McGrath last weeks News and Star. He wanted a more cohesive link between the senior and U21 panels. Originally it was thought Fintan O Connor would be U21 manager and senior selector, then it was expected the as yet unannounced 4th selector would perform the dual role, now Derek McGrath stated in this article that he now seems to be thinking about being U21 coach.
    You would think with such a good U21 panel available it would be an easy appointment. Only 5 of the match day panel last year are over age while no Bennett or Curran started there was also the likes of Tom Devine and DJ Foran on the bench. There is also a batch from last years minor panel who could make a serious impact.
    As yet only Derek Lyons, last years minor manager, has been mentioned as a viable managerial candidate. At the end of the minor campaign , he seemed to rule himself out of going any further with Waterford but probably now sees nobody else really wants it. I think he'd be a good choice. Another possible candidate would be Paul Flynn who has experience at this level and guided Ballygunner to the U21 title here last month. Flynn however didn't seem too enthused with Derek McGrath's hurling philosophy (or lack of it) in an analytical piece written after the Wexford senior defeat last year so I don't know if they could work together.
    Derek McGrath seems to blame last years defeat to the Yellowbellies on the fall out from the U21 defeat to Cork. This deflated the (U21) players so much that he had 2nd thoughts on using them for the Senior game and that the “mood within the county” had led him to change the gameplan he had prepared to a more orthodox man to man approach. My opinion is that Dunford and Gleeson done ok !!! and Taghe Burke was played out of position in midfield where if you were going man v man at the back then he's your man. He mentioned that he thought he should start Seamus Prendergast and Molumphy instead of U21 players. However he didn't and when Shane Walsh went off injured he brought on an U21 player and not the one of the great campaigners above.
    Now McGrath wants to guard against such a thing happening again by taking control of both senior and U21 panels. It'll be a good thing to co-ordinate Senior and U21 training and challenge matches through the late spring but why that couldn't be done last year or any year I don't know. I just get the feeling that the Waterford Senior Hurling panel won't be as young as reported and that Derek McGrath's ascertation the the process of developing young players needing to start now is a little premature. Hence the interest in the U21 panel.

The interview was in the Munster Express wasnt it.

3ships wrote: »
    This was discussed in an interview with Derek McGrath last weeks News and Star. He wanted a more cohesive link between the senior and U21 panels. Originally it was thought Fintan O Connor would be U21 manager and senior selector, then it was expected the as yet unannounced 4th selector would perform the dual role, now Derek McGrath stated in this article that he now seems to be thinking about being U21 coach.
    You would think with such a good U21 panel available it would be an easy appointment. Only 5 of the match day panel last year are over age while no Bennett or Curran started there was also the likes of Tom Devine and DJ Foran on the bench. There is also a batch from last years minor panel who could make a serious impact.
    As yet only Derek Lyons, last years minor manager, has been mentioned as a viable managerial candidate. At the end of the minor campaign , he seemed to rule himself out of going any further with Waterford but probably now sees nobody else really wants it. I think he'd be a good choice. Another possible candidate would be Paul Flynn who has experience at this level and guided Ballygunner to the U21 title here last month. Flynn however didn't seem too enthused with Derek McGrath's hurling philosophy (or lack of it) in an analytical piece written after the Wexford senior defeat last year so I don't know if they could work together.
    Derek McGrath seems to blame last years defeat to the Yellowbellies on the fall out from the U21 defeat to Cork. This deflated the (U21) players so much that he had 2nd thoughts on using them for the Senior game and that the “mood within the county” had led him to change the gameplan he had prepared to a more orthodox man to man approach. My opinion is that Dunford and Gleeson done ok !!! and Taghe Burke was played out of position in midfield where if you were going man v man at the back then he's your man. He mentioned that he thought he should start Seamus Prendergast and Molumphy instead of U21 players. However he didn't and when Shane Walsh went off injured he brought on an U21 player and not the one of the great campaigners above.
    Now McGrath wants to guard against such a thing happening again by taking control of both senior and U21 panels. It'll be a good thing to co-ordinate Senior and U21 training and challenge matches through the late spring but why that couldn't be done last year or any year I don't know. I just get the feeling that the Waterford Senior Hurling panel won't be as young as reported and that Derek McGrath's ascertation the the process of developing young players needing to start now is a little premature. Hence the interest in the U21 panel.

The way the things are done with the last two or three years, the Under 21 team is nearly the same as the Intermediate team, with few ex-seniors thrown in and maybe one or two from the extended senior panel over the age of 21 who may benifit from a game.

If Waterford are to go down this route in 2015 will it mean that we could see members of the senior management set up involved in the under 21 and Intermediate set up as well.

• Advertisement

Which was the true Waterford and the true Cork last year.

Was it the first day when Waterford could have beaten a Cork side that were favourites to win but served up a below standard performance, or was it the second day when after a good showing in the drawn game Waterford were expected to push Cork all the way, but were blown apart by Cork who won by double scores.

Which was the true Waterford and the true Cork last year.

Was it the first day when Waterford could have beaten a Cork side that were favourites to win but served up a below standard performance, or was it the second day when after a good showing in the drawn game Waterford were expected to push Cork all the way, but were blown apart by Cork who won by double scores.

Somewhere in between. I don't get how it can be alright to suggest Cork were below there best the first day, but that pretty much nobody argues the same about Waterford the second day. Cork were anihilated by Tipp as well, so in 2/5 games they played they were below par, and they fairly let Clare back into the game as well.

I think they are talented, but inconsistent and so not beyond the realms of possibility that they might produce a poor performance in June. Also conceivable that Waterford might improve. So the point is, as I said, way too early to be talking about June when nobody gave Waterford a hope in as little as a week before the drawn game.

deise_girl wrote: »
    Fantastic, glad to see they scheduled them around my exams nicely :)

You'll have get the games changed :-)
    Best of luck in the exams

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

The interview was in the Munster Express wasnt it.

I read it in the news and star

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

In reference to the Cork v Waterford match in JUNE!!!!!!!

As an an example:
    In the first game last year
    Kevin Moran at CB played a great ball into Jake Dillon which was confidently dispatched over the bar..
    In the replay, Kevin Moran sent a similar ball into well ... nobody ... while Jake Dillon was actually standing beside him. That just illustrated the tactical problems we had that day.

I could not care less what Cork people think of Waterford Hurling,, things can change...

Last March in Ennis... At Half time Clare were in hurling heaven having just put 4-14 or so past Waterford in a 20 minute spell in the first half of a league game. The Banner crowd at the half time break believed that they had now become the dominant force in the hurling world .....

What happened next:
    Waterford outscored them 0-16 to 1-4 in the second half.. "don't mind that"
    Clare then drew at home to Galway .. "so what"
    Laois ran them to a couple of points in a League QF... "not important"
    Tipp beat them in the League Semi... "Clare didn't want to play Kilkenny in a final just yet".. said Donal Og Cusack

Clare were as All Ireland Champions absolutely rubbish in their Championship games after......... who would have thought (especially those in Cusack Park that March)

Back to Waterford v Cork in June .. who knows, I wouldn't be scared of anyone in Munster if I'm honest..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Kevin Moran is the captain for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

STIG83 wrote: »
    Kevin Moran is the captain for this year.

I would much rather see Noelie Connors get it he's the one most deserving of the lot..

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

just about shades captaincy to be fair....although was poor last year...waterford are going to struggle big time for a couple of years and mcgrath in my opinion is not the man to rebuild waterford,you need experience but hope it works out..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

doublejj wrote: »
    just about shades captaincy to be fair....although was poor last year...waterford are going to struggle big time for a couple of years and mcgrath in my opinion is not the man to rebuild waterford,you need experience but hope it works out..

Gonna be another busy year on here slating Derek McGrath....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Derek McGrath uses the term "that's the reality of it" quite a lot. I think that term needs to be remembered at all times when looking at 2015. I don't think anyone expects an All Ireland or indeed any senior silverware this year. Despite this, the standard of hurling in general has regressed over the past number of years. Cork were 30 seconds from an All-Ireland in 2013, with a team that was far inferior to their teams of 2003-2006. I think Cork have gone further back over the past 12 months and are probably the county Waterford would target most to beat in Munster as Limerick, Tipperary and Clare would all be ahead if they get preparations correct. However due to the top teams such as Kilkenny and Tipperary coming back, there is very little between 7 or so teams now who I would expect are targeting winning. While I don't think Waterford are in this top tier, they should still be looking to claim a scalp or two as they wouldn't be too far behind if they play to potential.

To me Waterford need to be allowed to play to potential however. The current Waterford panel contains players who have played in club All-Ireland finals with De La Salle, won school All-Ireland finals with De La Salle and Dungarvan, won Fitzgibbon All-Ireland finals with WIT and UCC and some have won an All-Ireland minor final. Clearly these guys have ability. Due to this it is hard to understand why it would be seen to be beneficial to engage in an extremely negative game plan. One example I recall from the Wexford game last year, Stephen O Keeffe collected the ball and looked up to see his half forward line about 45 yards away, with all other players within that space and only two Waterford forwards further upfield and out of reach. Under pressure he did the only thing he could and hit long down the line. However a Wexford player read this and mopped up before striking over the bar. This was an example of playing so negatively/defensively that it cost a score. I think this is a crucial aspect. If Waterford get poor results this year, while playing a negative brand of hurling with one man full forward lines and auxiliary defenders who don't seem to understand where to be the year is a failure and huge knock to the development of young players.

I entirely accept that Waterford lack ball winning half forwards. Players like Eoin Madigan (De La Salle), Seamus Keating and Cormac Heffernan who served that function on underage teams haven't made the step up, with injury being a factor. I would hope Cormac Curran, Tom Devine or DJ Foran may develop into such a role but it's too much to expect it this year. Due to this a different style is required, or else reposition players which seems to be trialled with Michael Walsh and Kevin Moran. To be fair to Derek McGrath he is trying such options.

Another requirement is to try to blood new players. The cull in the panel was surprising. Personally I would have retained Jamie Nagle and Liam Lawlor on the panel as there are not 30 better players in the county and some of the players retained seem fortunate to be rated ahead of them. I would have also retained Richie Foley if his injury problems allowed it, if not I would have removed him as an active part of the panel but ensured he received the necessary support so if his fitness returned he could rejoin. I've heard different versions of why Stephen Molumphy retired, if he was willing to play on I'd have certainly retained him. However Derek McGrath has recognised that the younger players need an opportunity. The manner of introducing young players to the team is another aspect 2015 will be judged on.

It is essential that Waterford qualify for the league semi final. Limerick and Wexford will give a good test, but Waterford should have their sights set high enough to expect victory against Offaly, Antrim and Laois anyway. Any slip ups here are unforgiveable, regardless of new styles of play and new personnel. Limerick and Wexford are beatable too and poor performances in these games would reflect badly.

I was at some of the pre season games. It was difficult to make any real observations as the ground is soft, the pace slow and players have varying degrees of fitness. I did make one comment that it was good to see Brian O Halloran impress against Wexford as he won an ocean of ball in the first half when the game was relatively competitive before the second half farce. Waterford retained two men in the full forward line during that half and O Halloran's speed, intelligence and positioning meant he was an outlet for clearances while shape was retained in the first half. However it is discouraging to hear Derek McGrath state that he feels Waterford were not defensive enough last year. Those comments alone are my greatest concern ahead of 2015.

So to try to view the year objectively and neutrally I would suggest the priorities are:

Playing a more positive style.
    Making best use of resources, particularly with a view to improve ball winning/retention in the half forward line.
    Blooding new players
    Results

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement