Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

3ships wrote: »
    In reference to the Cork v Waterford match in JUNE!!!!!!!

As an an example:
    In the first game last year
    Kevin Moran at CB played a great ball into Jake Dillon which was confidently dispatched over the bar..
    In the replay, Kevin Moran sent a similar ball into well ... nobody ... while Jake Dillon was actually standing beside him. That just illustrated the tactical problems we had that day.

I could not care less what Cork people think of Waterford Hurling,, things can change...

Last March in Ennis... At Half time Clare were in hurling heaven having just put 4-14 or so past Waterford in a 20 minute spell in the first half of a league game. The Banner crowd at the half time break believed that they had now become the dominant force in the hurling world .....

What happened next:
    Waterford outscored them 0-16 to 1-4 in the second half.. "don't mind that"
    Clare then drew at home to Galway .. "so what"

Laois ran them to a couple of points in a League QF... "not important"
    Tipp beat them in the League Semi... "Clare didn't want to play Kilkenny in a final just yet".. said Donal Og Cusack

Clare were as All Ireland Champions absolutely rubbish in their Championship games after......... who would have thought (especially those in Cusack Park that March)

Back to Waterford v Cork in June .. who knows, I wouldn't be scared of anyone in Munster if I'm honest..

What happened in the following game. At the break Waterford were well in with a chance of beating Kilkenny at Nolan Park. What happened in the second half. Kilkenny ran riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Can a Mod edit the thread title from 2013 to 2015 please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

What happened in the following game. At the break Waterford were well in with a chance of beating Kilkenny at Nolan Park. What happened in the second half. Kilkenny ran riot.

they weren't.....they were surviving by the skin of there teeth and the luck ran out relatively quickly in the second half......it was nothing short of blind optimism to think they were in with a chance of beating kk that day

il never forget the Kilkenny supporters laughing at Waterford (even in the first half)....thinking back on there last game v Waterford before that (mike ryans last game in charge)

no one can call this progress

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

they weren't.....they were surviving by the skin of there teeth and the luck ran out relatively quickly in the second half......it was nothing short of blind optimism to think they were in with a chance of beating kk that day

il never forget the Kilkenny supporters laughing at Waterford (even in the first half)....thinking back on there last game v Waterford before that (mike ryans last game in charge)

Maybe come to think of it you could be right. Thinking back Kilkenny hit a lot of wides in the first half. If half of them went over we would not have been as close.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Stop trying to rewrite history. Waterford played a very positive brand of hurling that day and was quite close to winning. The Kilkenny team got one hell of a scare as did its supporters.

• Advertisement

culbaire wrote: »
    Stop trying to rewrite history. Waterford played a very positive brand of hurling that day and was quite close to winning. The Kilkenny team got one hell of a scare as did its supporters.

im on about the league game last year (2014).....not actually mike ryans last game:p

im on about the league game last year (2014).....not actually mike ryans last game:p

Your post stated that it was Michael Ryan's last game. You state "..il never forget the Kilkenny supporters laughing at Waterford (even in the first half)....thinking back on there last game v Waterford before that (mike ryans last game in charge)

no one can call this progress.."

Your post stated that it was Michael Ryan's last game. You state "..il never forget the Kilkenny supporters laughing at Waterford (even in the first half)....thinking back on there last game v Waterford before that (mike ryans last game in charge)

no one can call this progress.."

it was summery (if you read back...you will see I was clearly replying to a sarcastic post in relation to Waterford performance in the league games v clare and kk)
    I even referred to it (ryans last game!!) as the last game v kk before it

I can link you to the stream of posts if you require???

I apoligize for any confusion caused:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Really? I find this hard to believe. If it was Tipp I could believe it but the Deise?

citykat wrote: »
    Really? I find this hard to believe. If it was Tipp I could believe it but the Deise?

ya...I was up at it....I taught them days were behind Waterford hurling:mad::mad:....yet theres some who come here and profess this to be progress:confused::confused:

• Advertisement

it was summery (if you read back...you will see I was clearly replying to a sarcastic post in relation to Waterford performance in the league games v clare and kk)
    I even referred to it (ryans last game!!) as the last game v kk before it

I can link you to the stream of posts if you require???

I apoligize for any confusion caused:o
    There was no progress last year under Derek McGrath. In fact there was regression.

There was no progress last year under Derek McGrath. In fact there was regression.

this was the point I made:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

I would much rather see Noelie Connors get it he's the one most deserving of the lot..

Fair is fair. Moran is a worthy choice. I honestly think people will go against whatever decision McGrath makes just for the sake of it at this stage. Moran has Been on the panel since 06. Has been a great leader and servant since. Good luck to him for the year ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Moran has done nothing to deserve it since being captain in 2013. He had two excellent games that year against Kilkenny and Tipp but that was it. Last year, I dint remember him being outstanding in any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

ya...I was up at it....I taught them days were behind Waterford hurling:mad::mad:....yet theres some who come here and profess this to be progress:confused::confused:

I was at it myself. Reasonably competitive in the first half. KK lorded the second half alright. I didn't witness any laughing like you describe though. AFAIK there isn't that kind of rivalry between KK and Waterford (well not on the KK side at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Moran has done nothing to deserve it since being captain in 2013. He had two excellent games that year against Kilkenny and Tipp but that was it. Last year, I dint remember him being outstanding in any game.

That shouldn't be a surprise though in you follow trait any poor manager you will find unlogical decision are quite common
    But look sure it's early yet no need to fear cork just turn up on the day , tear in to cork, and cork this average poor enough team waterford will, as they ah challenge matches are just them despite fact results such poor run affects confidence
    Of course people shouldn't worry bout cork game, sure that's only real focus of season you would think

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hurling man

That shouldn't be a surprise though in you follow trait any poor manager you will find unlogical decision are quite common
    But look sure it's early yet no need to fear cork just turn up on the day , tear in to cork, and cork this average poor enough team waterford will, as they ah challenge matches are just them despite fact results such poor run affects confidence
    Of course people shouldn't worry bout cork game, sure that's only real focus of season you would think

I think you should change your name if you think Waterford are going to rock up in June and tear in to cork. I know you are been sarcastic but you know what they say about sarcasm. I know by your posts you are obviously a big fan of frank flan dry and maybe there's a lot to admire but IMO he walked away for whatever reason now Waterford need to move on. Worrying about someone who clearly doesn't want to be involved with group won't help them against cork in june

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I think you should change your name if you think Waterford are going to rock up in June and tear in to cork. I know you are been sarcastic but you know what they say about sarcasm. I know by your posts you are obviously a big fan of frank flan dry and maybe there's a lot to admire but IMO he walked away for whatever reason now Waterford need to move on. Worrying about someone who clearly doesn't want to be involved with group won't help them against cork in june

Your spot on with the team thepost
    It's not just oveflan maher r leaving also worry

I'm geuinely not in to sarcasm but I said I'd just speak words some belive here with waterford and then knew it been soon questions which proofs my point how ridiculous it is suggest waterford turn up tear in to cork like utter nonsense in that paper article just tear in to your opponent

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Fair is fair. Moran is a worthy choice. I honestly think people will go against whatever decision McGrath makes just for the sake of it at this stage. Moran has Been on the panel since 06. Has been a great leader and servant since. Good luck to him for the year ahead.

I'm certainly not knocking Kevin Moran or going against any decision for the sake of it . Good luck to him in terms of experience he's a good choice, i know he was disappointed last year to lose the captaincy and then to see Jake Dillon be named vice captain at such young age probably raised a few doubts in his mind, so delighted for him to get another crack of the whip, hopefully we drive on under him and McGrath. I just think if Mac is all about putting his own stamp on things then surely the most consistent player we've had over the past five years at least and also just happens to be the only All Star left within the panel who hasn't captained the team yet and plays in the fullback line so he gets to face all the play,a player who would have the same respect amongst the players as a Molumphy must be due a day soon. Just my opinion thinking out loud..

So Mountainlad if our logic is anything to go on Colin dunford or Aussie Gleeson should be captain for the coming year? As they were 2 of a very small few who came out of 2014 wit any credit imo. Just because a guy didn't have a massive year by his own Standards dosent make him undeserving of captain. Other counties where the captain comes from the co champions you often find a fringe player selected or someone barely good enough for the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

So Mountainlad if our logic is anything to go on Colin dunford or Aussie Gleeson should be captain for the coming year? As they were 2 of a very small few who came out of 2014 wit any credit imo. Just because a guy didn't have a massive year by his own Standards dosent make him undeserving of captain. Other counties where the captain comes from the co champions you often find a fringe player selected or someone barely good enough for the panel.

I think Moran has the world of talent but he's one of the most inconsistent players we've ever had. I dunno did he handle being captain well in 2013, he looked like he lost a yard of pace. He did lead well against Kilkenny in the final game to be fair to him. But he was poor last year, and maybe inconsistency and poor performances aren't entirely his own fault and more that managers won't play him in the same position but keep moving him around.

Well, other counties making that mistake doesn't mean we should. Noel Connors was the obvious candidate. After that, not many others maybe Brick. Moran would probably be close after that I suppose. It's not an outrageous decision or anything, but I would imagine if Noel Connors was from De La Salle he would be captain. He was vice Captain in 2013 and since then his club has won the County and he has been easily as consistent a performer as anyone.

On the back of Jake Dillon being named vice captain last year, it does betray a bit of bias there. I know he's trying to counter act that with and East and West vice captain but wouldn't too bothered by Paudi Mahony being named sole vice captain as I think he came out of 2014 with a lot of credit for club and county, and am excited to see how he goes next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

There are many forms of leadership, of which leading by example on the field is one. In reality, it doesn't really matter to those outside the camp who is captain as long as they are happy with it.

We love to talk about KK here. They see the captaincy as a token gesture to the county champions. If the likes of Ballyhale they'll inevitably hand it to an experienced player who hadn't got the chance before. They'll hope this helps them get into the starting team, not that it hasn't stopped Cody from benching captains.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

I agree Noel was the obvious candidate however a possible explanation may be that Noel just started a PhD which is extremely stressful and time consuming Derek might feel the extra responsibility of captaincy might be too much

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Footballers won their McGrath cup opener v UL today. 1-16 to 2-7

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

cookey123 wrote: »
    I agree Noel was the obvious candidate however a possible explanation may be that Noel just started a PhD which is extremely stressful and time consuming Derek might feel the extra responsibility of captaincy might be too much

In what.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

nagle,foley,lawler all gone which is managers choice...Now before people jump all over this to keep in line with what he is doing long term why is brick still there?.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Waterford played UCC today in clashmore. Just wondering if anyone was at it, result/report. Thanks

citykat wrote: »
    I was at it myself. Reasonably competitive in the first half. KK lorded the second half alright. I didn't witness any laughing like you describe though. AFAIK there isn't that kind of rivalry between KK and Waterford (well not on the KK side at least).

I was there myself...though being fair...it was comical at times the complete lack of gameplay etc...though being laughed at is never nice

there is that kind of rivilary though....by a vocal (albeit small) section of the kk support who seem to take defeat badly...but are even worse when kk win...at what point deos it cross from being craic at matches to open and often vile abuse towards Waterford players and supporters??

*well maybe not often abuse to the supporters...but jesus it would be great to win just once:o

Orizio wrote: »
    In what.

In minding this own private business maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Hurling man

Your spot on with the team thepost
    It's not just oveflan maher r leaving also worry

I'm geuinely not in to sarcasm but I said I'd just speak words some belive here with waterford and then knew it been soon questions which proofs my point how ridiculous it is suggest waterford turn up tear in to cork like utter nonsense in that paper article just tear in to your opponent

Fair enough change is always worrying but cork are going through a fair bit of change too mark landers is in a totally new role. Also a lot can happen in a few months 1 a is no joke and cork mightn't be all that confident come June. Willie maher was very good with tipp minors a few years go and done a good job with his own club ballingarry too so he will be missed no question but if he wasn't able to give the time or didn't believe in the set up players ect they are better off too part ways time will tell if himself and frank are missed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement