Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

cookey123 wrote: »
    Hutch working in the K Club I think for Educogym so he isnt really based in dublin at present

That would be like working in Slieverue and living in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

By my reckoning we've the following players for this years panel (including injured players)

SOK
    Daniels
    T de B
    N Connors
    S Fives
    D Fives
    A Gleeson
    Philip Mahony
    K Moran
    Maurice
    Pauric Mahony
    Shane Bennett
    Stephen Bennett
    Brian O'Halloran
    Jake Dillon
    Brick
    M Kearney
    D Breathnach
    T Connors
    C Dunford
    Ryan Donnelly
    Tom Devine
    J Barron
    M O'Neill
    G O'Brien
    S McNulty
    M O'Brien
    Foran
    T Waring
    C Curran
    I O'Regan
    B Coughlan
    P Walsh
    M Flynn
    J Morrissey
    P Prendergast
    S O'Sullivan
    E Power
    E Madigan

Who will make the cut? and what combination would posters like to see come the league/championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Wayne Hutchinson would have been 29 on January 1st. His last year under 21 was 2006. His brother JJ would be a year younger.
    Did Hutchy play in the U21 game in 2007 v Limerick where Jamie Nagle got sent off? They had a good team that year, the sending off really upset the balance in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GAA2TheCore

carter10 wrote: »
    By my reckoning we've the following players for this years panel (including injured players)

SOK
    Daniels
    T de B
    N Connors
    S Fives
    D Fives
    A Gleeson
    Philip Mahony
    K Moran
    Maurice
    Pauric Mahony
    Shane Bennett
    Stephen Bennett
    Brian O'Halloran
    Jake Dillon
    Brick
    M Kearney
    D Breathnach
    T Connors
    C Dunford
    Ryan Donnelly
    Tom Devine
    J Barron
    M O'Neill
    G O'Brien
    S McNulty
    M O'Brien
    Foran
    T Waring
    C Curran
    I O'Regan
    B Coughlan
    P Walsh
    M Flynn
    J Morrissey
    P Prendergast
    S O'Sullivan
    E Power
    E Madigan

Who will make the cut? and what combination would posters like to see come the league/championship?

Don't think foran is up to senior intercounty IMO and would have harney in ahead of him even though he is not a forward he is very versatile and a hard worker and crafty , foran is flash in the pan IMO and from what I have seen of him through last years intermediate championship he shys away from contact and is very greed on the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

There will be genuine lads who have hurled with dungarvan from under8s all the way upto senior on the subs bench because of outide lads that got poached in, tell me thats not against everything the GAA stands for.

Just heard the new man coming in above with ye! Easily known you didn't want to broadcast it on here! Lets just say it will be entertaining anyway! I presume ye didn't get a reference from his previous employers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

archieknox wrote: »
    Just heard the new man coming in above with ye! Easily known you didn't want to broadcast it on here! Lets just say it will be entertaining anyway! I presume ye didn't get a reference from his previous employers?

Have you got a list of the transfers?

What Power was playing wing forward last night last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Slobbery wrote: »
    Are there new rules with regards U16's playing Minor this year?

I thought I heard over the weekend on the radio that U16s are no longer allowed play Minor... but I wasn't sure if it was a proposed change that had to come through congress or if it was coming in for definite

What that mean that the minor goalie from last year (Billy Nolan - I think he was 15) can not play this year as he would be considered underage?

Your right about the rule (inter-county only), but last year Billy was U16 this year he is U17 so he is free to play. Interesting to see what will happen if the minor is scrapped an U17 brought in instead of it.

SOK
    Daniels
    T de B
    N Connors
    S Fives
    D Fives
    A Gleeson
    Philip Mahony
    K Moran
    Maurice
    Pauric Mahony
    Brian O'Halloran
    Jake Dillon
    Brick
    C Dunford
    Ryan Donnelly
    Tom Devine
    J Barron
    M O'Neill
    G O'Brien
    S McNulty
    B Coughlan
    S O'Sullivan.
    Iggy

You could say these are the definite squad members. That's 24. Then you have the 2 Bennetts, (one doubtful with injury, the other with exams) Kearney, Foran, Curran and Harney are all u21, I think another year with them while training with the Seniors will do no harm. Breathnach and Tommy Connors have been on the fringes the last few years, Personally I think Donie is better off with the footballers as he could do a terrific job at #11 for them. Paudie Pender is decent but already I count 10 defenders I'd start ahead of him. We do need a ball winner but Foran and Curran aren't ready yet IMO and I don't know if Tommy Connors is good enough for a starting place

SOK

Tadgh De Burca, Barry Coughlan, Noel Connors

Philip Mahony, Austin Gleeson, Darragh Fives

Jamie Barron, Kevin Moran

Brian O' Halloran, Pauric Mahony, Maurice

Colin Dunford, Brick, Jake Dillon/Ryan Donnelly

I don't like the look of Brick at full forward but if you hit direct ball and leave 3 in the full forward it could be decent. You could bring him to the half forward line if things aren't going our way there. Very inexperienced backline bar Noelie, just something what I'd like to see! You could argue about Coughlan full back but he's been the best FB in Waterford last 2 yrs, I'd like to see him there for the league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DLS2THECORE

Have you got a list of the transfers?

Full list of transfers will be published at the weekend. A meeting is taking place tonight for the players that want to transfer but don't have their previous clubs signature. I believe 10 Tramore players are on the move, they have a hearing tonight and John Dee has a hearing as well. Once this is all finalized, the list will be made public. All the big transfers are already out there, power to Dungarvan, Fives back to Tourin and Dee to Mount Sion etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Full list of transfers will be published at the weekend. A meeting is taking place tonight for the players that want to transfer but don't have their previous clubs signature. I believe 10 Tramore players are on the move, they have a hearing tonight and John Dee has a hearing as well. Once this is all finalized, the list will be made public. All the big transfers are already out there, power to Dungarvan, Fives back to Tourin and Dee to Mount Sion etc, etc.

Where are the Tramore players transferring to and who are mount Sion getting apart from the tipp lad and possibly John dee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

archieknox wrote: »

Who are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Did Hutchy play in the U21 game in 2007 v Limerick where Jamie Nagle got sent off? They had a good team that year, the sending off really upset the balance in that game.

No hutchys last year would have been 06 with the 21s. Always felt he didn't get a fair go with Waterford seniors. Some of the posts here have been a bit harsh. His best position was always wing back. But was unlucky that Waterford have always been v strong in this position. Especially with Tony Browne manning the number 7 jersey for donkeys years. and he kept being tried full back which was never his natural position. He was the outstanding player in the club championship for me over a good few seasons. Top class hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

No hutchys last year would have been 06 with the 21s. Always felt he didn't get a fair go with Waterford seniors. Some of the posts here have been a bit harsh. His best position was always wing back. But was unlucky that Waterford have always been v strong in this position. Especially with Tony Browne manning the number 7 jersey for donkeys years. and he kept being tried full back which was never his natural position. He was the outstanding player in the club championship for me over a good few seasons. Top class hurler.
    I'd agree
    Ger cunningham if it's true bring him to dublin he is no fool must be good
    He probably played under ger when he was in ballygunner won the county in 2009 was it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

I'd agree
    Ger cunningham if it's true bring him to dublin he is no fool must be good
    He probably played under ger when he was in ballygunner won the county in 2009 was it??

Ger Cunningham was in charge the year ballygunnar and lismore went to a replay, lismore raced into a big lead the first day and got reeled back in, can't remember the year exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Slobbery wrote: »
    Ger Cunningham was in charge the year ballygunnar and lismore went to a replay, lismore raced into a big lead the first day and got reeled back in, can't remember the year exactly
    Would hutch played under him?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

SOK

Tadgh De Burca, Barry Coughlan, Noel Connors

Philip Mahony, Austin Gleeson, Darragh Fives

Jamie Barron, Kevin Moran

Brian O' Halloran, Pauric Mahony, Maurice

Colin Dunford, Brick, Jake Dillon/Ryan Donnelly

I don't like the look of Brick at full forward but if you hit direct ball and leave 3 in the full forward it could be decent. You could bring him to the half forward line if things aren't going our way there. Very inexperienced backline bar Noelie, just something what I'd like to see! You could argue about Coughlan full back but he's been the best FB in Waterford last 2 yrs, I'd like to see him there for the league

Think if Brick is going into the forwards I would prefer to see him in the half forward line where he is more consistently involved and winning ball, going to need a lot of work on his striking though as you can't carry a forward for his ball winning only,
    I can't say I have a lot of faith in Coughlan ( hope I am wrong as I reckon he's going to be there though) Think S Fives or De Burke would be a better option long term.

While Moran brings a lot of power to mid field more often than not his driving forward often breaks down leaving us open for counter attack,

As for the forwards not sure if were going to see much of Shan, Dunford or Donnelly in the early part of the league anyway since I don't think any of them have seen any game time to date ( P Mahony as well for that matter) and from what I've seen of Dillon to date I think he has a bit to do in terms of getting back to his best but don't think we have a lot of other real options at presence .

For the first part of the league Id like to see a starting 15 something like
    Sok
    S Fives, De Burke, Conners
    G o Brien, Austin, Moran
    Barron, D Fives
    Mahony, Brick, Breathneach
    Kearney/ Bennet, Dillon O Halloran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Would hutch played under him?

Yeah, it was 2009. Pretty sure they brought Fergal back for a swansong so I would say Hutchison was wing back, and in my opinion was overshadowing him at that stage at 36 (Fergal was a brilliant hurler to be fair). His best year was 2011 with the club, maybe that had something to do with playing games for the County in the league and against Limerick. Was excellent for Ballygunner.

Don't believe he was unfairly overlooked, but even if he was he would not be the answer for Waterford at wing back now even if he was available which it appears he isn't. Good luck to Dublin if they take him on, would be happy enough that we have better available. Mind you, whole thing sounds a bit like Cha going to Dublin in 2009/2010 as in it might be nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

Your right about the rule (inter-county only), but last year Billy was U16 this year he is U17 so he is free to play. Interesting to see what will happen if the minor is scrapped an U17 brought in instead of it.

If you can't be under 16 and play minor county this year someone might want to tell ye county minor hurling and football managers. I know there's atleast 5 u16 players training with the minor hurlers which is yet to be cut and two u16 players on the football.

If so, can someone give my clarity as too why, because the only reason I want think of is that it's cause they wouldn't be physically ready, which in most cases would be wrong. Cause I'm pretty sure that the centre back last year for clan na Gael was 15 cause he was on the u15 development squad and is 6ft 3/4. So why should he not be able play?

With the minor footballers last year 15 year old Dylan Guiry started corner and wing forward and he was outstanding and he's about 5ft 9. Why bring in new limitations that will deprive counties of valuable players?

Another good example is Colm Roche on the all Ireland team, he's still eligible this year and he was 15 when they won it.

• Advertisement

If you can't be under 16 and play minor county this year someone might want to tell ye county minor hurling and football managers. I know there's atleast 5 u16 players training with the minor hurlers which is yet to be cut and two u16 players on the football.

If so, can someone give my clarity as too why, because the only reason I want think of is that it's cause they wouldn't be physically ready, which in most cases would be wrong. Cause I'm pretty sure that the centre back last year for clan na Gael was 15 cause he was on the u15 development squad and is 6ft 3/4. So why should he not be able play?

With the minor footballers last year 15 year old Dylan Guiry started corner and wing forward and he was outstanding and he's about 5ft 9. Why bring in new limitations that will deprive counties of valuable players?

Another good example is Colm Roche on the all Ireland team, he's still eligible this year and he was 15 when they won it.

The rule has only been brought in this year and i can tell you for a fact there is not one U16 player on the current Minor hurling squad that is in training. Not sure who was centre back for clann na gael if he was U15 it could have been Kai Wilmott or Gearoid Murphy. Any of them names ring a bell with you?? Dylan Guiry was U16 last year as the rule was not in by then he qas able to play and now he's U17 from January 1st he is eligible this year.

Is Colm Roche minor again really?

The rule has only been brought in this year and i can tell you for a fact there is not one U16 player on the current Minor hurling squad that is in training. Not sure who was centre back for clann na gael if he was U15 it could have been Kai Wilmott or Gearoid Murphy. Any of them names ring a bell with you?? Dylan Guiry was U16 last year as the rule was not in by then he qas able to play and now he's U17 from January 1st he is eligible this year.

I do understand why most of you are regarding Hutch so highly. He had tons of game time in leagues and pre-league games and league games yet he was consistently dropped by management. Yes Tony Browne did occupy wing back for a long time but the opposite wing was never fitted with a consist player, Moran, Foley, Murray, O Sullivan, too name a few. If there was still a shortage today for wing back I would rather tiny Browne come out of retirement at 40/41 than Hutch because he cannot mark a man at the highest level, club level he gets away with it. His main philosophy is to get free ball and drive the ball as long and as far possible and look good doing it. Also why would he deserve to be on the Dublin team when currently they are far better than Waterford, this would be like a player leaving west ham who is on the reserve team and starting for Liverpool first team.

Also, Brick, he was a great midfielder / cb, Why he is in the full forward line baffles me, he is not a scorer even when he was a mid he was a defensive midfielder. He would be a great full back in my opinion and the pre league should try him there cause, as a full back, you don't need to have the best shot, fastest, or height, but you need to be able to be tight at marking. JJ Delaney showed this throughout his career, I remember he was put in fb once against dan Shanahan when dan was on form and dan got no score cause JJ kept tight. While Strength Brick has, he has all the qualities of a full back. I don't see how being a full back is a natural position because brick is and always has been a utility player best used defensively.

Cormac Curran - I first am not just wanting my own clubman on the team. He has shown his worth but I will simply say what Joe.ie said when they said, "is this the biggest minor in the country last year, the Waterford Plan is simple, drive it long and to the edge of ye square and your full forward will do damage" 6ft 4 1/2 and 16 stone he is physically ready and I rarely see him get beaten in the air. But it's better than Devine full forward. On a traditional Gaa team your full forward is normally the biggest, strongest, slowest player "Dan Shanahan" and just lob in high balls.

And for people who say brick is passed his peak to be full back, the human body doesn't reach it's peak til 33-35 as shown by tony Browne, it simply comes down to the players wish to make themselves better. Brick losing the yard is due to lack of training because he probably doesn't have as much time for gym work as he did when he was in his 20's.

Is Colm Roche minor again really?

No he is not i think brickeyvalley gettin confused with the January 1st new yr new age..

Not sure about his name but I am sure u16's were training with the minors cause Cathal Curran was dropped or gave up cause he only go selected for a few trainings, have they cut the panel yet?. But that Clan na Gael lad was a serious tank.

Not sure about his name but I am sure u16's were training with the minors cause Cathal Curran was dropped or gave up cause he only go selected for a few trainings, have they cut the panel yet?. But that Clan na Gael lad was a serious tank.

Cathal Curran is U17 now since January 1st so when he was training before Christmas the whole Minor team were actually U17 if ya get me.. its down to 40 now and being cut to 30 next month as far as i know,
    Cathal was dropped before Christmas

The blue Blaa very select people would actually know that so I have to ask, in what way are you affiliated with the county minors :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Its been brought in to help deter player burnout. I can kind of see the logic to be honest. Look at Stephen Bennett as an example. he was a Waterford minor at 15 and was sensational at that. Scored 3-3 from play in a Munster semi against limerick. Look at him now. Crippled with injuries. He's hardly pucked a ball since he came out of minor. You'd have to be worried about his long term future in the game at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Cormac Curran - I first am not just wanting my own clubman on the team. He has shown his worth but I will simply say what Joe.ie said when they said, "is this the biggest minor in the country last year, the Waterford Plan is simple, drive it long and to the edge of ye square and your full forward will do damage" 6ft 4 1/2 and 16 stone he is physically ready and I rarely see him get beaten in the air. But it's better than Devine full forward. On a traditional Gaa team your full forward is normally the biggest, strongest, slowest player "Dan Shanahan" and just lob in high balls.

And for people who say brick is passed his peak to be full back, the human body doesn't reach it's peak til 33-35 as shown by tony Browne, it simply comes down to the players wish to make themselves better. Brick losing the yard is due to lack of training because he probably doesn't have as much time for gym work as he did when he was in his 20's.[/QUOTE].

Not as Convinced of Curran to be honest having been watching him for years.. I think he lacks the toe for Intercounty.. Cant question his touch or his striking but its his movement that I think will badly affect him.. This time of the year his physical attributes will get him through and the stick in the ground means that we won't see it so much, but last year for the minors he was really poor in all games bar the Semi Final where he improved but for me he looked lazy and a bit on the soft side (as in carrying a bit cause he certainly isn't shy) The replay up in Thurles he was stuck in full forward and he was a liability more than a help.. Bombs were dropped on him and he didn't win one clean ball and when it became two inside he didn't have the legs to get around..

Hope Im wrong as his hurling is top class but his speed is where id worry.. Great Idea to pull him into the senior Squad so they can have a real good look at him because a fella like that would just tapper off if he was back training with his club..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement