Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

If I were to pick Dillon id play him full forward and nowhere else but you'd need to play a real traditional game to accommodate him.. Similar to Shane Walsh when he played full forward because if you start two man full forward lines and rotation he won't get to the pitch of the ball at all.. Whereas with his game intelligence if you had him full forward working off the shoulder of a full back he could cause damage.

Which basically is a roundabout way of saying (due to nature of how we are playing) I see no place for him in the current set up.. You cannot have Maurice Pauric Dillon and Brick in the forward line its lacks that injection of pace to change a game.. and of the four named Dillon in my eyes is the man to lose out..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Slobbery wrote: »
    That was a time when no waterford team was expected to beat a Cork one.
    Albeit SARS were not the cork champions as a divisional team had one that year and they were the club that progressed the furthest so contested the Munster club...
    That result made people sit up and take notice and was on the eve of our re emergence on the inter county scene.
    That ballygunnar team was the best club side from waterford I have seen

Would you believe that Ballygunner were the only Waterford club to beat a Cork team up until then? They beat Na Piarsaigh the previous year and Avondhu in 1966. Other than that, the record for Waterford clubs against Cork clubs was P10 W0 D0 L10 (not including one abandoned match). Since and including that win over Na Piarsaigh the record for all Waterford clubs has been P10 W7 D1 L2. It's not all about one club, but that was definitely a tipping point.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

ovalu wrote: »
    I'd love to see a half back line of Darragh Fives, Gleeson and Shane Roche, along with a midfield of De Burca and Shane Bennett, I think it would be swashbuckling and fearless, I'd bring Brick back to no 3 to mind the house and have Moran at 11 to win a bit of ball, I can't see Brick becoming a forward at this stage of his career

I don`t think Shane Roche will ever develop into a starter. I`d love to see Paudie Prender get a run at wing back with Tadgh on the other side and Brick back at number 6 where he belongs IMO. I don`t think he`ll ever make a forward either. Darragh Fives belongs in midfield I think. Great ball winner and can pick off some wonderful scores but not an out and out forward. He could offer plenty of cover in the back too. I`d have Moran midfield with Fives and Shane Bennett either in the half or full forward line but he`s such a versatile player I think he`ll be able to play anywhere when he makes the team properly in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Anyone know the managers for each team this year in Senior hurling?

A number of teams have changed management but haven't heard who's replaced them yet. Only new management I've heard of so far is Ken McGrath in at Mount Sion and Denis Walsh at Ballygunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SkipFC

Anyone know the managers for each team this year in Senior hurling?

A number of teams have changed management but haven't heard who's replaced them yet. Only new management I've heard of so far is Ken McGrath in at Mount Sion and Denis Walsh at Ballygunner.

Cappoquin got Ger Manley and Paudie O'Brien in from Midleton.

Apparently the Cappoquin chairman and 6 of the players voted to get rid of Fintan Murray, there's talk of his three sons transferring to different clubs in Cork and Limerick.

• Advertisement

SkipFC wrote: »

Apparently the Cappoquin chairman and 6 of the players voted to get rid of Fintan Murray, there's talk of his three sons transferring to different clubs in Cork and Limerick.

Wasn't Fintan Murray gone anyway cos of Waterford? Strange to hear of players looking to leave the club when it's taken them so long to get back to Senior. Not doubting you, i'm just amazed that success always seems to cause spilts in a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SkipFC

Wasn't Fintan Murray gone anyway cos of Waterford? Strange to hear of players looking to leave the club when it's taken them so long to get back to Senior. Not doubting you, i'm just amazed that success always seems to cause spilts in a club.

You're thinking of Fintan O'Connor

You're thinking of Fintan O'Connor

Oh ya. Any idea what the problem was then?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

Deise189 wrote: »
    I don`t think Shane Roche will ever develop into a starter. I`d love to see Paudie Prender get a run at wing back with Tadgh on the other side and Brick back at number 6 where he belongs IMO. I don`t think he`ll ever make a forward either. Darragh Fives belongs in midfield I think. Great ball winner and can pick off some wonderful scores but not an out and out forward. He could offer plenty of cover in the back too. I`d have Moran midfield with Fives and Shane Bennett either in the half or full forward line but he`s such a versatile player I think he`ll be able to play anywhere when he makes the team properly in a few years

I rate Paudie Prender very highly too and I'd say if he got a run in his best position at wing back he'd nail down a place, I just thought that seen Roche is younger than him and was starting ahead of him for UCC until he got injured that he might have passed him out. Reading the posts about the great Fergal Hartley I'm reminded of the madness of 2001 when Fergal was placed at centre forward where he was all at sea, and Peter Queally was centre back in Fergals natural position, we were good enough to win all Ireland's in those years if we hadn't been making crazy selections like that, I think in a few years we'll view the Brick as a forward experiment similarly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

So Cappoquin shot themselves in the foot the minute they get a bit of success.. Get rid of the manager and may lose their best players who happen to be his sons??
    Why in hell would they do that? Makes no sense.. How could the success they had evaporate so fast? ... I thought this year would set them up for a long time... Must be a lot of bad eggs there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

I rate Paudie Prender very highly too and I'd say if he got a run in his best position at wing back he'd nail down a place, I just thought that seen Roche is younger than him and was starting ahead of him for UCC until he got injured that he might have passed him out. Reading the posts about the great Fergal Hartley I'm reminded of the madness of 2001 when Fergal was placed at centre forward where he was all at sea, and Peter Queally was centre back in Fergals natural position, we were good enough to win all Ireland's in those years if we hadn't been making crazy selections like that, I think in a few years we'll view the Brick as a forward experiment similarly
    and a center back ,,should have stayed at midfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Stephen Bennett played the whole game for UL today which I would imagine means he is unlikely to feature too heavily on Saturday.

Only saw the last 15-20 mins but he won a free, took a ridiculous touch to take a ball out of the air and slot it over the bar without a care in the world, and showed another two class touches to win a ball out in front and lay it off to someone running onto it on his left without catching the ball. Hes just a pure hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Reading the posts about the great Fergal Hartley I'm reminded of the madness of 2001 when Fergal was placed at centre forward where he was all at sea, and Peter Queally was centre back in Fergals natural position, we were good enough to win all Ireland's in those years if we hadn't been making crazy selections like that, I think in a few years we'll view the Brick as a forward experiment similarly

To make matters worse, Queally was cleaned out by Ollie Moran who single-handedly kept Limerick in the game when Waterford were completely on top in the first half and drove them on when they made their second half comeback. Gerald McCarthy, who was useless on the sideline, never made the obvious move. Tipperary won a very handy All-Ireland that year, and I always felt that Waterford could have gone all the way if they had gotten over Limerick (which they should have).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

^^^
    That game v Limerick 01 and 07 is talked about too often on here for my liking! Horrible days!
    Stephen Bennett played the whole game for UL today which I would imagine means he is unlikely to feature too heavily on Saturday.

Only saw the last 15-20 mins but he won a free, took a ridiculous touch to take a ball out of the air and slot it over the bar without a care in the world, and showed another two class touches to win a ball out in front and lay it off to someone running onto it on his left without catching the ball. Hes just a pure hurler.

Serious player, he's the type that if you're marking him it's a case of damage limitation than anything else. I just hope and pray tho that his hips are fine and don't cause him an early retirement as a FF line of himself and Patrick Curran in the coming years is mouthwatering.
    Good that he's getting more and more game time tho, Saturday will be an opportunity for him to get a few scores if he plays any part. The priority will be to have him fully fit and ready for summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

IT Carlow back in again. Not sure when WIT are playing

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

IT Carlow back in again. Not sure when WIT are playing

Both games due for today have been postponed anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Giveitfong wrote: »
    To make matters worse, Queally was cleaned out by Ollie Moran who single-handedly kept Limerick in the game when Waterford were completely on top in the first half and drove them on when they made their second half comeback. Gerald McCarthy, who was useless on the sideline, never made the obvious move. Tipperary won a very handy All-Ireland that year, and I always felt that Waterford could have gone all the way if they had gotten over Limerick (which they should have).

For both those games it was Brian Begley did the damage... In the second half. I'll never forget 01 for as long as I live. We led by 11 points and ended up losing the game. Wasn't that the game both mullane made his championship debut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oleo0Uk2E8M#t=119

1:40

some skill, afterwards he goes straight to doing the stretching for his hip, does he look awkward when running?

For both those games it was Brian Begley did the damage... In the second half. I'll never forget 01 for as long as I live. We led by 11 points and ended up losing the game. Wasn't that the game both mullane made his championship debut

Brendan landers did the damage by batting the ball out to Begley over and over and over again...

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oleo0Uk2E8M#t=119

1:40

some skill, afterwards he goes straight to doing the stretching for his hip, does he look awkward when running?

He looks fit, he is pure quality. Hopefully we see him fit... Even if he has to be used as an impact sub

• Advertisement

Slobbery wrote: »
    He looks fit, he is pure quality. Hopefully we see him fit... Even if he has to be used as an impact sub

He didn't look that fit to me but I only saw the end of it, so quite possible he got tired. Hes a while away from full throttle yet Id say but if they manage him well he could be in good shape come championship and that would be a huge plus.

Anyone know how the Waterford under 21's got on against Passage last night. Saw a team list on Facebook with Seanie Barry at number 10? Surely he wasn't playing outfield.
    This is a great idea on behalf of 21 management team.

Anyone know how the Waterford under 21's got on against Passage last night. Saw a team list on Facebook with Seanie Barry at number 10? Surely he wasn't playing outfield.

Ya they are playing the 12 senior clubs. Good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Waterford U21 v Passage: Barry Chester Tobin Cronin Moran Roche Walshe Donnelly O Brien Kiely Fives Foran J Gleeson C Curran O Sullivan

Park Hotel Under 21 Challenge Full Time Waterford 4-12 Passage 3-9 DJ Foran 3-1 & Jason Gleeson 0-7 made the best of it in atrocious weather

Follow Tomas Mccarthy on twitter, he's very good

Look up alltheyoungblues, good report on it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

It was a Great idea from Tony Browne in fairness, if the U21s do get beaten again come championship it wont be from a lack of preparation. Derek Lyons is a good man coupled with the experience of Tony & Mullane they will instill belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

He has. And much of it justified after last years shambles. Saturday was a promising step in the right direction. But we'll need to see a few more performances like it for the public to start backing this management team again

Agree that it was a step in the right direction but in fairness, Limerick were missing players due to injury and club tied, although the penalty awards were laughable ; if those defenders were wearing black and Amber jerseys, it would have been lauded as great defending.

Some great individual performances though, especially De Burca and Gleeson - 2 class acts ; Barron, Prender and O'H also very promising. However, the Limerick keeper might as well have not been there for all the action he saw ; that's why we need Gleeson up there, as he has that predatory instinct (plus Stephen Bennett of course).

So a spell in Div 2 (or 1B as its called) will allow W'ford to play attractive, competitive hurling but there's much more needed in order to bring the Liam McCarthy back to Ballybricken !

No team news due tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

No team news due tonight?

Unchanged team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

The same 15 starting was always going to happen but again the favouritism towards Dillon is something only McGrath can explain. He will probably play well against the lesser lights like laois and Antrim but for me he goes missing against the better sides. Shane Bennett at this stage even is a better option and can offer so much more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement