Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I remember recently it might have been waterford v lit, waterford crystal game. paudie mahony racked up a big score but you said something along the lines that he was only marking kieran bennett so you would have expected it

You are correct actually. Again I don't think its the dig you see it as, hes not Senior inter county standard. I'm judging Mahony against the best because I think that's the level of his talent.

Is Kieran Bennett a Cillian Buckley or Brendan Maher in your estimation? An unfair comparison in my eyes, but you're forcing my hand here.

He may well develop into an inter county hurler, but don't see anything wrong with what I said even if I'm more than capable of being a bit harsh at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

You are correct actually. Again I don't think its the dig you see it as, hes not Senior inter county standard. I'm judging Mahony against the best because I think that's the level of his talent.

Is Kieran Bennett a Cillian Buckley or Brendan Maher in your estimation? An unfair comparison in my eyes, but you're forcing my hand here.

He may well develop into an inter county hurler, but don't see anything wrong with what I said even if I'm more than capable of being a bit harsh at times.

Fair enough. I think kieran is very underrated. Hes more of a rough diamond than the 2 younger lads but is definetly capable of developing into a top player. Still U21 this year so interesting to see if he makes that but will be hard to get on that team.

With regard to your previous post is stephen bennett as good as flynn was when he was the same age? I would think flynn was more talented but i think bennett can go on to have a better career. Hes more of a team player but has that predatory instinct aswell. Sometimes a criticism id have for stephen is that hes actually not selfish enough. But hard to compare him with flynn. He was a rare talent whose game was based on out and out skill nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Gleeson scored 1-5 from play for WIT. Surely he is more important to Waterford as a forward at this point in time

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Highlights WIT v CIT - mainly Gleeson's contribution

http://youtu.be/6XDP_EQaAEk

Highlights of UL v LIT - nice goal by Bennett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O8-dCPKsiw&feature=youtu.be

deisedude wrote: »
    Gleeson scored 1-5 from play for WIT. Surely he is more important to Waterford as a forward at this point in time

Between that and seeing the actual footage...has to be shoved up if we can get Darragh Fives fit. Him, Stephen Bennett and Dunford would make a massive impact on that forward line and give us options.

• Advertisement

Gavin O Brien got 4 points yesterday as well, which has gone under the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Does anyone know wit's game plan? Can they not see UL have doubled up at the back and they still insist on pumping ball after ball in there? As for Aussie it must be so frustrating knowing he's playing with blinkers on because if I were his teammates I couldn't come up with any other reason! And yet they're only 2 behind at halftime. Hamill has come into it since he switched wings.

Not been his biggest fan, but have to say Martin O Neill was super at the end and dragged WIT back into that game. Mahony similar at the end of normal time and start of extra time, and given what him Gleeson have had to do. A joke what they've had to play in the last week.

Thought Stephen Roche was very good midfield and still don't get why he wasn't given a chance on the pre season panel.

Bennett got the goal, but looks a good ways away from fit to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Some amount of games for the lads to be playing

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Super from wit. To come back twice deserves great credit. Tom Fox was tremendous for them all night.
    We keep hearing about player burnout but yet nothing is being done. These players deserve so much more respect and protection than what they are getting. They are not alone I know of 20yr olds out either training or playing matches on the last 14 consecutive nights with club and county teams. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH SURELY.

• Advertisement

Good to see footballers have kicked on since the mcgrath cup success anyway. #deiseforsam lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Good to see footballers have kicked on since the mcgrath cup success anyway. #deiseforsam lol

fair enough they did'nt but its great to see the support has'nt wayned ;)

fair enough they did'nt but its great to see the support has'nt wayned ;)

Look when you lead 07 - 02 at half time at home to carlow (arguably the poorest side in the division) even the most pessimistic supporters would be looking to close that game out. Cant see how you can take any positives from it. Same old story

Harsh. What is served by sticking the knife in like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Obviously not the biggest game for most waterford supporters, but just saw that the u21 football vs Clare is being played in Miltown Malbay. Too long have clare f*cked over teams by dragging them out there to play, what's worse is the fact it's a Wednesday night fixture with u21s having to travel from colleges all over Ireland. Pathetic on Clare's part. Think they are due a game in passage sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

id be concerned over the offaly game now with the fitzgibbon replay likely to be on next tuesday or wednesday and the offaly match being on next saturday

we could be missing Pauric Mahony, Austin Gleeson, Martin O Neill and possibly more for the offaly game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

PTH2009 wrote: »
    id be concerned over the offaly game now with the fitzgibbon replay likely to be on next tuesday or wednesday and the offaly match being on next saturday

we could be missing Pauric Mahony, Austin Gleeson, Martin O Neill and possibly more for the offaly game

On the other hand, you are playing Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Obviously not the biggest game for most waterford supporters, but just saw that the u21 football vs Clare is being played in Miltown Malbay. Too long have clare f*cked over teams by dragging them out there to play, what's worse is the fact it's a Wednesday night fixture with u21s having to travel from colleges all over Ireland. Pathetic on Clare's part. Think they are due a game in passage sometime

you are right to be annoyed , a couple of key members of the clare county board are from miltown so thats why they always pick there ahead of cusack park, it dose'nt suite most clare supporters either ,the ground is far too open and exposed to the atlantic and the road from ennis to back there is s**t they rarly play club championshp games there let alone county games

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I dont know how WIT managed to draw after extra time, being 4 points down with 5/6 mins left, and considering their schedule of games this week. Showed huge character and energy reserves to reel off 4 points in the closing stages. I was very impressed with Martin O'Neill i must say, took 2 lovely points in extra time to push them on. Hopefully the GAA will allow them a proper rest and not fix the replay for this week. The toll on some of these players over the past week is ridiculous as it is.

Anyone know why Offaly changed the league game to Saturday at 3pm? Hardly a traditional GAA time! Will hardly get more people in at 3 on a Saturday than they would on a Sunday afternoon. RTE still have it down as a Sunday fixture, which isn't surprising i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Tipp 1.13 wat 0.16 ft

• Advertisement

Ah here, go take a hike with your never ending pessimism

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Why would that be cause for concern? No disrespect to Offaly but even without Aussie, Paudie and MON we would still be fully targeting a win. And that would be assuming they play no part which is unlikely.
    Was it you said last week we may not reach the league quarter finals? That'd mean we'd have to finish behind Laois, Antrim and/or Offaly do you really think that's likely considering we hockeyed Laois the last day? Really?

Anyone at the Tipp challenge have a report?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Challenge v Tipp Clonmel
    1. IOR
    2. S McNulty
    3. B Coughlan
    4. S Fives
    5. P Prendergast
    6. P Mahony
    7. Pa Walsh
    8. J Barron
    9. K Moran
    10. D Breathnach
    11. Brick
    12. T Devine
    13. M Kearney
    14. D J Foran
    15. T Waring
    Subs: Barry, SOS, O’Halloran, Daniels, Dunford, Maurice, Tomas Connors, Mark O Brien, Harney.
    24 Cormac Curran started instead of Kearney.
    Tipp with the aid of a strong breeze were on top for most of the first half. Brick and Moran went well for us during the first half. Tipp were physically stronger and their touch was sharper on a heavy pitch but Waterford at times combined well to send good ball into the full line. Unfortunately the Tipp full back line were completely on top.
    Tom Devine was named at wing but played most of the game sweeper behind the half back line.
    Tipp led at half time 0-9 to 0-6.
    Waterford came into the game more in the second half and continued to work good low ball into the corners Donie Breathnach got on the end of some of these to cause trouble for the Tipp backs but in the other corner Tommy Waring despite getting a lot of good ball struggled to make an impression. Similarly with DJ Foran who tried hard but had a tough outing.
    A lot of subs introduced mid way through the half saw Brian O’Halloran on for Brick, Shane O Sullivan for Barron, Colin Dunford for Moran and later Maurice came on as well. Dunford was lively and sailed through the tipp defence to set up a great chance for Waring which was saved.
    Waterford had 2 penalties in the second half, the first one ( very soft as the Waterford player held on for an age) was driven into the ground by Barron and the second one was well saved.
    Maurice came on for about the last 10 minutes and had a big input scoring two frees and putting over a lovely point from the left touchline.
    Scorers: Barron 3, Breathnach 2, Waring 1, C Curran 1, Shanahan 3. Didn’t see who scored the other points as we had 2 scored when I got there and I couldn’t make out the number for others!
    Some of the above may be incorrect/inaccurate as a mate came in during the second half and distracted me!
    Stephen Daniels was named on the subs but didn’t come on ( I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

carter10 wrote: »
    Waterford had 2 penalties in the second half, the first one ( very soft as the Waterford player held on for an age) was driven into the ground by Barron and the second one was well saved.

Were the penalties 1v1 (as in, only the keeper on the line)? Disappointing to have two missed penalties if so!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

carter10 wrote: »
    Challenge v Tipp Clonmel
    1. IOR
    2. S McNulty
    3. B Coughlan
    4. S Fives
    5. P Prendergast
    6. P Mahony
    7. Pa Walsh
    8. J Barron
    9. K Moran
    10. D Breathnach
    11. Brick
    12. T Devine
    13. M Kearney
    14. D J Foran
    15. T Waring
    Subs: Barry, SOS, O’Halloran, Daniels, Dunford, Maurice, Tomas Connors, Mark O Brien, Harney.
    24 Cormac Curran started instead of Kearney.
    Tipp with the aid of a strong breeze were on top for most of the first half. Brick and Moran went well for us during the first half. Tipp were physically stronger and their touch was sharper on a heavy pitch but Waterford at times combined well to send good ball into the full line. Unfortunately the Tipp full back line were completely on top.
    Tom Devine was named at wing but played most of the game sweeper behind the half back line.
    Tipp led at half time 0-9 to 0-6.
    Waterford came into the game more in the second half and continued to work good low ball into the corners Donie Breathnach got on the end of some of these to cause trouble for the Tipp backs but in the other corner Tommy Waring despite getting a lot of good ball struggled to make an impression. Similarly with DJ Foran who tried hard but had a tough outing.
    A lot of subs introduced mid way through the half saw Brian O’Halloran on for Brick, Shane O Sullivan for Barron, Colin Dunford for Moran and later Maurice came on as well. Dunford was lively and sailed through the tipp defence to set up a great chance for Waring which was saved.
    Maurice came on for about the last 10 minutes and had a big input scoring two frees and putting over a lovely point from the left touchline.
    Scorers: Barron 3, Breathnach 2, Waring 1, C Curran 1, Shanahan 3. Didn’t see who scored the other points as we had 2 scored when I got there and I couldn’t make out the number for others!
    Some of the above may be incorrect/inaccurate as a mate came in during the second half and distracted me!
    Stephen Daniels was named on the subs but didn’t come on ( I think)

Good man Maurice delighted to see him back.
    If we could only get S bennet right, I'd rather to see him rehabiltate over the next year or so rather than risking his hurling career.

Throw in Patrick Curran in a year or two and we'll certainly be competitive again and win the odd Munster :)

I've a feeling the Deise Boys are slowly coming, whisper it, roll on Cork in the championship!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

I don't hold your pessimism although its hard to see the Likes of Mahony and Gleeson being fresh for this game. I wouldnt worry about Gavin or Martina as we have coverage in those positions. as said probably only two starters against Offaly affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Cake Man wrote: »
    Were the penalties 1v1 (as in, only the keeper on the line)? Disappointing to have two missed penalties if so!
    Tipp had 3 on the line for the first one and one of the waterford players asked if it should be one, the ref replied that the rule wouldn't be in for 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 leerushon

Only saw it now, missed Maurice Daly (county player), Mark Mulvhill (would be starting county if not injured) and Mark Whelan. Cathal Curran played midfield with stiches in his leg, three fourteen year olds started instead at corner back, wing forward and corner forward. Paul Whelan (county) won about 6-8 clean ball catches from midfield, and Carthach Barry (county) ran the game at centre back keeping another county minor Michael Culloo to no score. Missed three big players, one to rugby and two to injury. Lost by three points and lacked three players. Although Darragh O'Grady (county) destroyed Mikey Phelan (county) at Full back. They'll still win the league out.

Also trashed Killrossanty yesterday with half a team out and little training 5-13 to 1-1 and lacked starting players like Maurice Daly (county minor), Paul Whelan (county minor), Carthach Barry (county minor), Jack O' Donnell (county u21), Martin and Lar Houlihan (former county minor and senior players), no Mark Mulvhill or Mark Whelan either.

Must surely be a good bet to go along ways in the Senior Football Championship this year with all these County Lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

leerushon wrote: »
    Must surely be a good bet to go along ways in the Senior Football Championship this year with all these County Lads.

I doubt we are a sure bet to go along way a Quarter Final would be the aim in the Championship anything more would just be bonus points. If Brickey's manage to stay in Senior Football this year then next year is the year to go for it.

Cappoquin did it last year in the hurling using a lot of county minors but that is hurling and in Football its a different kettle of fish. Realistically they will be subs cause there is a solid team there with I say very few positions up for grabs. Maybe Midfield there aren't the same players there and at wing back but everywhere else in my eyes a certain player has locked down. Cormac Curran didn't even start last year and this year he will be occupied with hurling so may not this year either.

Having played Senior Football it is a different kettle of fish compared to lower levels and they'll have to adapt, you never throw a child into the water and expect them to swim. But slowly introducing them too it, like coming on as a sub goes along way.

I personally wouldn't like to see any of them on the subs list never mind starting until minor, u21 and county minor are all over cause there are simply too much to do.

In a couple of years though I predict we'll be a serious force in football and I say this year in hurling with Peter Cody after coming in there is a good chance next year we'd be senior hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Anyone name the players who are U21 on the senior hurling panel?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement