Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I'm happy for Davy he's heart is in the right place behind the big media front, he learned a lot from us and goodluck to him I say.

De La Salle v Dungarvan in the minor final sunday week who will contest the Senior?

I predict Abbeyside V Mount Sion anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deise_Davy

Imagine there are loads of people in this county who believe that Scully is a better manager than Davy Fitzgerald.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

anyone happy for davy today? I think, yes he did get the best out of the waterford team. He can be an eijet but good luck to him

I still wouldnt be a fan of him & dont agree with him getting the best out of Waterford but I'm very impressed with what he's done with that Clare team.
    He took a great young team & helped them kick on with an amazing intensity, pace & teamwork. Theyve proven me wrong a few times this year & you cant help but be happy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

Deise_Davy wrote: »
    Imagine there are loads of people in this county who believe that Scully is a better manager than Davy Fitzgerald.

It's gas. But then sure apparently we play a lovely brand of losing hurling. Sure that's more important than winning All Irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Deise_Davy wrote: »

You sound like a person who knows nothing about hurling. If Davy had his way they would be still be playing a boring short passing game getting the team in trouble, as the slow buildup constantly breaks down running into blind allays. It was during the Laois game this year that Davy finally abandoned the constant short passing game and he finally listened to what the suporters wanted. During the Laois game, Laois had most of their men inside their own half of the field. Therefore trying to short hand/hurl pass the ball to the inside forwards was not an option. They then decided to hit shots from distance thus avoiding the Laois blanket defence. Since then Davy has finally abandonded the slow short passing game and mixed it up with a more direct supply of ball.Davy will get all the plaudits tonight but the real mastermind behind Clare's skillfull high intensity game is Paul Kennerk. He first came in with the minors in 2010 and 2011 when they won munster. Then he trained the U21 and seniors in 2012 and 2013. In his training sessions they never played a full match or did sprints. It is all conditioned and modified games where the players are playing in confined spaces and making quick split decisions under pressure. If you want to find the person who really is behind this Clare teams performance you are are looking in the wrong direction.It is clowns like you who come on here and make stupid statements that would be better off going back to the pub. Michael Ryan was our best hope of winning an all ireland. He had an ability to get the best out of the players he was working with. Over the coming 2 years as better forwards come through that can score on the run from either left or right, we would have been in a position to land the big one. The forwards is the one area where we lag behind 7 counties currently but with better forwards in the next year or two and a manager in Ryan who had the ability to get the best out of what he had available to him then I was fully confident we were going in the right direction to land the big one. We had Davy allready in waterford when there were only 2 counties with a chance of winning the all ireland and with the slow short passing I never once felt we would win an all ireland. Sure he will be praised tonight but dont forget it was Paul Kinnerk that changed Clare's style of play and it was the laois game that Davy finally woke up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

I thought Davy did a decent job with us with an ageing team past their best. Got it badly wrong twice but i think he has learned massively since then. Still not perfect by any means but he has achieved with every team he has been with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

its all about winning matches, no matter what the tactics are. winning is more important then playing a game that we enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

alllcounty wrote: »
    You sound like a person who knows nothing about hurling. If Davy had his way they would be still be playing a boring short passing game getting the team in trouble, as the slow buildup constantly breaks down running into blind allays. It was during the Laois game this year that Davy finally abandoned the constant short passing game and he finally listened to what the suporters wanted. During the Laois game, Laois had most of their men inside their own half of the field. Therefore trying to short hand/hurl pass the ball to the inside forwards was not an option. They then decided to hit shots from distance thus avoiding the Laois blanket defence. Since then Davy has finally abandonded the slow short passing game and mixed it up with a more direct supply of ball.Davy will get all the plaudits tonight but the real mastermind behind Clare's skillfull high intensity game is Paul Kennerk. He first came in with the minors in 2010 and 2011 when they won munster. Then he trained the U21 and seniors in 2012 and 2013. In his training sessions they never played a full match or did sprints. It is all conditioned and modified games where the players are playing in confined spaces and making quick split decisions under pressure. If you want to find the person who really is behind this Clare teams performance you are are looking in the wrong direction.It is clowns like you who come on here and make stupid statements that would be better off going back to the pub. Michael Ryan was our best hope of winning an all ireland. He had an ability to get the best out of the players he was working with. Over the coming 2 years as better forwards come through that can score on the run from either left or right, we would have been in a position to land the big one. The forwards is the one area where we lag behind 7 counties currently but with better forwards in the next year or two and a manager in Ryan who had the ability to get the best out of what he had available to him then I was fully confident we were going in the right direction to land the big one. We had Davy allready in waterford when there were only 2 counties with a chance of winning the all ireland and with the slow short passing I never once felt we would win an all ireland. Sure he will be praised tonight but dont forget it was Paul Kinnerk that changed Clare's style of play and it was the laois game that Davy finally woke up.
    Couldn't say it better myself

alllcounty wrote: »
    You're priceless. Michael Ryan was our best chance of an All Ireland?? Is it ladies football you're on about??

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

You're priceless. Michael Ryan was our best chance of an All Ireland?? Is it ladies football you're on about??

You can stay in denial if you want. The performances of the team during the 2 years spoke volumes especially when you consider the forwards he had at his disposal. He was the right man to bring this team to the next level over the coming years and when you have something good it should never be changed until its broke.

I wouldn't expext you to give him the respect he dererves. Way back in the league when we beat Clare and Tipperary you were constantly cutting him and putting him down under your previous username manfromcheese. As time went on you gave up posting. Then as the eastern players put a knife in the back of our chances of winning an all ireland in the coming years you suddenly reappear under Sam Swarek, too ashamed to post under manfromchese as you were allready found out to be an idiot. Then I exposed you and off you disappeared again.

Next you come back as Sid Wallace trying to be all friendly starting off with 'first time post here folks.... bla bla more ****e. Then you could't help yourself and stated attacking Ryan again and I called you out on it, which you dug your heels in and pretended it wasn't the same gob****e. But yet again here you are. You dont have the intelligence to understand when we have a good management team in place and all you can muster is come on here to fullfill your childish putdowns and comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Some start by passage here 1-3 to no score

Mt soon finished first half like a train and lead 2-8 to 1-8 at half time. Entertaining stuff and plenty of off the ball action as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Bizarre, twitter say Passage were 7 points up after 25 mins, and Mount Sion then scored 2-4 and now lead by 3.

Thought yesterday's game was mad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

I see a former club mate of Pat Casey having a go at him on Twitter for his handling of the game in Walsh Park. What's he up to or not up to.

Just a point in it now. 2*12 2-11 to my sion

Passage goal

Passage win 3-15 to 2-13. Fair play to them thought they were finished at half time

Why are WLR playing crap 80's music instead of covering the match? Frankie goes to Hollywood seriously :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

deisedude wrote: »
    Why are WLR playing crap 80's music instead of covering the match? Frankie goes to Hollywood seriously :mad:

They don't have a clue. Every other local radio station has sport on a Saturday and Sunday, lots of live commentary's of local games etc. WLR give us music. At least Geoff Harris follows some sports people on twitter and is able to give out updates. Once Rick Whelan comes on you can forget all about sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Well its Passage v Ballygunner and this should make for a great county final with Passage winning very well against Mount Sion who would have been favorites to win today. Its a feather in Peter Quelly's cap going forward for the county managers post now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Black Suir wrote: »
    They don't have a clue. Every other local radio station has sport on a Saturday and Sunday, lots of live commentary's of local games etc. WLR give us music. At least Geoff Harris follows some sports people on twitter and is able to give out updates. Once Rick Whelan comes on you can forget all about sport.

They are a city-based soccer-focused pop station which has no connection with the rural part of the county and have no reason to call themselves a community-focused local radio station. But does anyone ever object to their licence renewal? And does the Waterford GAA County Board ever complain to them about their pathetic coverage of GAA compared with most other local radio stations? Not a peep out of them. They are as useless in this respect as they are useless in every other respect. And does the GAA public ever complain? We are called the "Gentle County" for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Stick to twitter. Usually very good updates from the usual reliable sources. Without them we would have nothing.

culbaire wrote: »
    Stick to twitter. Usually very good updates from the usual reliable sources. Without them we would have nothing.

Twitter, a few blogs and this is where I get most of my updates. I live up in Galway and have no connection to any of the clubs involved today, just wanted to listen to the matches on the radio :(

bullpost wrote: »
    Relax.

One word post of the year. Very well played

KevIRL wrote: »
    One word post of the year. Very well played

It was a brilliant reply

Excellent win for Passage. Mount Sion had them at 6s and 7s in the last ten minutes of the first half, but to give Queally his due he figured it out at half time and turned the team around with Connors going back full back to pick up Stephen Roche, who had been having a dinger. Austin Gleeson had being doing well as a sweeper but the air really went out of the Mount Sion tires when he moved back up front with about 15 to go. Iggy then made a crucial error in the goal to give Passage back the initiative which they never lost. Young Hogan scored a great goal for Passage and that was that.

Passage a big physical side and they'll cause problems for the Gunners, but their indiscipline would have caused them serious problems with another referee. They were very lucky not to have had at least one red card, though to be fair I thought referee Casey was excellent throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Will noel connors be around for the final? I heard he was due to head off travelling in the next week or 2....

I'd imagine so. They brought back Thomas Connors from Australia today, and he made a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

robopaddy wrote: »
    Will noel connors be around for the final? I heard he was due to head off travelling in the next week or 2....
    Is he around for next season?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement