Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

anyone happy for davy today? I think, yes he did get the best out of the waterford team. He can be an eijet but good luck to him

Delighted for him - he got a lot of abuse in Waterford and even in Clare up until the last month. Think he definitely brought us on and upped the level of professionalism in the setup. Most of all I love the entertainment value of the lunacy he brings to the sideline ala Mad Ger. The game needs characters even if they are "off the reservation" ............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Is he around for next season?

I would think so. Its not uncommon for intercounty players to head away for a while in the close season nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Very Happy for Davy Fitz. Deserved every credit for the Clare win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

deisedude wrote: »
    I thought Davy did a decent job with us with an ageing team past their best. Got it badly wrong twice but i think he has learned massively since then. Still not perfect by any means but he has achieved with every team he has been with

How did he have an ageing team? He had one of the youngest panels in the country to work with. Rubbish arguement that has been talked about for years in Waterford.

Very Happy for Davy Fitz. Deserved every credit for the Clare win.

Wouldnt begrudge Clare or Davy one bit.

Its all been about Davy but the real groundwork was being done at grassroots level over the past 10 years. Clare seniors were in the doldrums a bit but all the while at underage level they have been busy getting their asses in gear, and when Davy felt the time was right to take the Clare job he was presented with this phenomenal group of young players to work with. He has moulded the whole thing into an All Ireland winning unit however and probably about 3 or 4 years before people expected it to be so that is some achievement

I think he can go on and become one of the great managers of the game

• Advertisement

Seems to be a lot of bad blood today on twitter after the Mt Sion defeat yesterday.

Pretty embarrassing to see grown men who are supposedly respected figures within Waterford GAA circles behaving like morons on twitter slagging each other and getting little childish cheapshots in at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

robopaddy wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of bad blood today on twitter after the Mt Sion defeat yesterday.

Pretty embarrassing to see grown men who are supposedly respected figures within Waterford GAA circles behaving like morons on twitter slagging each other and getting little childish cheapshots in at each other.

I wouldn't worry about supporters slagging each other. Mount sion are a proud club and will bounce back. They must have been fairly stunned though, not many were expecting passage to win. That's another point to Queally over Derek for the county job. Who'll win the county now?

Also great to see Clashmore reach the western hurling final. I would love to see them go all the way and play senior hurling next year as a reward for all the good hurling work they have been doing at underage for the last 8 years where traditionally they focused only on football. They have set a good example that other football clubs in waterford like kilrossanty could learn from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

alllcounty wrote: »
    Also great to see Clashmore reach the western hurling final. I would love to see them go all the way and play senior hurling next year as a reward for all the good hurling work they have been doing at underage for the last 8 years where traditionally they focused only on football. They have set a good example that other football clubs in waterford like kilrossanty could learn from.

Must...not...bite...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I wouldn't worry about supporters slagging each other. Mount sion are a proud club and will bounce back. They must have been fairly stunned though, not many were expecting passage to win. That's another point to Queally over Derek for the county job. Who'll win the county now?

I have felt after the quarters that BG would go on to win it. I didn't see the Abbeyside game, but I'd still rate them as favourites from what I've seen so far.

Who is most likely to come out of the intermediate from either the east or west? Are any of the sides capable of surviving at senior level? The championship structures are still unresolved as far as I'm concerned.

I would also say that Clashmore have set a good example regarding football which clubs like Ballygunner and dozens of others could learn from!

hardybuck wrote: »
    I have felt after the quarters that BG would go on to win it. I didn't see the Abbeyside game, but I'd still rate them as favourites from what I've seen so far.

Who is most likely to come out of the intermediate from either the east or west? Are any of the sides capable of surviving at senior level? The championship structures are still unresolved as far as I'm concerned.

I would also say that Clashmore have set a good example regarding football which clubs like Ballygunner and dozens of others could learn from!

Yea Ballygunner should win it. The way they're playing they would be much better than Sion at the moment so it would be a big ask for passage.

Dunhill won the east and in the west you have a local derby between Ardmore and Clashmore in the west final. No intermediate team are capable of surviving senior unfortunately given the divided east west championship structures.

Ballygunner are joined with Gaultier for the football similar to Clonea and Rathgormack so players have an outlet to play either unlike some places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Motivator wrote: »
    How did he have an ageing team? He had one of the youngest panels in the country to work with. Rubbish arguement that has been talked about for years in Waterford.

The nucleus of the team was young but key players especially in the forwards were past their best. Kelly, Dan, Ken, even Seamus to an extent

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sami Jenkis

Hey Robo, would you mind telling me who and what this was involving as i'm not on twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Hey Robo, would you mind telling me who and what this was involving as i'm not on twitter?
    Paul Foley left a comment on his twitter saying "I wonder who they will blame this year" to which the mount sion lads responded swiftly to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Paul Foley left a comment on his twitter saying "I wonder who they will blame this year" to which the mount sion lads responded swiftly to

And they were absolutely right too. That said, the only players I am aware of that commented on it said nothing bad about him.

It's a disgrace though that a referee who's supposed to be impartial would come out with a comment like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

And they were absolutely right too. That said, the only players I am aware of that commented on it said nothing bad about him.

It's a disgrace though that a referee who's supposed to be impartial would come out with a comment like that.

Did he actually mention Mount Sion in his tweet??

Did he actually mention Mount Sion in his tweet??

No he tried to fob it off as talking about Mohill from Leitrim losing a football match then.

Pretty pathetic stuff. To be honest, I don't think he should be allowed ref in Waterford anyway for reasons outside of any possible claims of him not being able to remain balance but that's irrelevant. He shouldn't have tweeted it.

your better off lad, pauric fanning had a dig at kelly aswell for his jersey kissing yesterday. these fellahs youd think would be above that kind of rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Think Kilrossanty beat Ballyduff Upper this year in western under13 hurling final so they must be doing something out that way.

Think Kilrossanty beat Ballyduff Upper this year in western under13 hurling final so they must be doing something out that way.

Only up as far as u16. They pulled the plug on entering hurling teams from minor up to adults. John Kiely must think he lives in kerry with all the time he spends in killarney annoying the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So is Peter Queally guarnteed the Waterford job if Passage win the county championship or even put up a good fight ??

Could be a problem though if Passage go onto Win the Munster title he will stay involved with them til the new year

Speaking of 2014 its going to be a tough league and championship. What is the best draw for us to get in the Munster Championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Sami Jenkis

your better off lad, pauric fanning had a dig at kelly aswell for his jersey kissing yesterday. these fellahs youd think would be above that kind of rubbish

Yeah a lot of rubbish gets thrown around by fellas on Twitter, especially when people have drink in them.
    I'd just like to make one point though. I asked one of my mates for a look at all this on twitter and as someone said above there was no senior player who directed any abuse at Paul foley. I in no way agree with the peraonal abuse that was said in regards to his weight but i can tell you from personal experience that he doesn't like mount sion. While refereeing a league game last year a ms player received the butt of the hurley in the eye and looking for a free was told by foley while on the ground ' you're all the same, this is a man's game. Get up off the fu**ing ground and learn the rules'... not something you should hear from an impartial ref.
    So I think any bad blood arising seems to be from this incident and not any complaints about the result. The better team won on the day and there's no excuses from any ms players.

Only up as far as u16. They pulled the plug on entering hurling teams from minor up to adults. John Kiely must think he lives in kerry with all the time he spends in killarney annoying the locals.
    They may have pulled the plug on adult teams this year but the work is still been done at underage and it seemed to have paid off this year with their western title and as for John Kiely. Im not to pushed where he goes.

They may have pulled the plug on adult teams this year but the work is still been done at underage and it seemed to have paid off this year with their western title and as for John Kiely. Im not to pushed where he goes.

Fair enough but what do these players do from u16 onwards with restrictions on minor players transfering clubs in the county. They won an u16 hurling div 4 county title in 2011 and some of them wanted to play hurling with another club instead of been forced to give up the sport but they had no choice in the matter. Doesn't seem fair does it.

Fair enough but what do these players do from u16 onwards with restrictions on minor players transfering clubs in the county. They won an u16 hurling div 4 county title in 2011 and some of them wanted to play hurling with another club instead of been forced to give up the sport but they had no choice in the matter. Doesn't seem fair does it.
    Doesn't seem fair alright but was just onto mate of mine and he said Kilrossanty minor hurlers played with Clonea this year.

Doesn't seem fair alright but was just onto mate of mine and he said Kilrossanty minor hurlers played with Clonea this year.

Fairly sure it was St Mollerans that played with Clonea. Fair bit of a journey if they are making their way to clonea. Still though they are big enough to field minor teams on their own, they're doing it with the footballers and ust to do it with the hurlers before turning their back on the game. Still think they could learn alot from Clashmore.

You shouldn't have any issues getting a transfer when you play for a football only club.

Kieran Power is one lad who is playing for Clonea by the way.

They realised they were going to struggle to field a team so did the right thing. What is the point in entering a competition then just giving walk overs?

At least this way the lads who want to hurl can hurl albeit with another club. As was said above they are starting from scratch and putting in the necessary work in the lower agegroups but have accepted that they have to take the hit in the adult and minor agegroup for the next couple of years. But at least they are doing somthing about it

You shouldn't have any issues getting a transfer when you play for a football only club.

Kieran Power is one lad who is playing for Clonea by the way.

Are they football only or are they sitting on the fence. They're a dual club up to U16 and football only from there on. I do remember Kieran wanted to transfer before he was out of minor and was turned down at the time.

They realised they were going to struggle to field a team so did the right thing. What is the point in entering a competition then just giving walk overs?

At least this way the lads who want to hurl can hurl albeit with another club. As was said above they are starting from scratch and putting in the necessary work in the lower agegroups but have accepted that they have to take the hit in the adult and minor agegroup for the next couple of years. But at least they are doing somthing about it

Are they doing the right thing? The orgional statement I said was they could learn alot from another football club in waterford who put the same effort into both sports at underage and adult level. They were allready fielding teams in hurling from u11 to minor and junior level previously. I cant see how they are trying to improve themselves by phasing out the game.

• Advertisement

Are they football only or are they sitting on the fence. They're a dual club up to U16 and football only from there on. I do remember Kieran wanted to transfer before he was out of minor and was turned down at the time.

But Killrossanty still had a team then. So why would he be entitled to leave?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement