Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

But Killrossanty still had a team then. So why would he be entitled to leave?

At that age you should also be playing with the adult team in the club. If they are putting no effort into the game at adult level such as never having a hurling training session unlike other football clubs in waterford then what's the point in staying. Playing minor only can improve you so much, you need to be playing with adults when you come to 17/18 to bring you on further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

alllcounty wrote: »
    At that age you should also be playing with the adult team in the club. If they are putting no effort into the game at adult level such as never having a hurling training session unlike other football clubs in waterford then what's the point in staying. Playing minor only can improve you so much, you need to be playing with adults when you come to 17/18 to bring you on further.

So on the one hand they need to pay more attention to hurling, and on the other hand their players should be allowed leave freely to play at a higher leve?

So on the one hand they need to pay more attention to hurling, and on the other hand their players should be allowed leave freely to play at a higher leve?

If they were putting the same effort into hurling at adult level and trying to improve themselves in both sports similar to many other football clubs then players from the club would not be faced with a difficult decision of moving away to another club to play hurling. I dont see players from Ring, ardmore, clashmore, brickey's etc been put in that position.

If they were putting the same effort into hurling at adult level and trying to improve themselves in both sports similar to many other football clubs then players from the club would not be faced with a difficult decision of moving away to another club to play hurling. I dont see players from Ring, ardmore, clashmore, brickey's etc been put in that position.

But someone else might argue that playing at Intermediate level which most of those teams are would not be of the required standard and they should all be allowed to move to Senior level.

If you were talking about restructuring the County championships, which you often do, then Brickeys probably wouldn't be an Intermediate team.

Stradbally don't put in an equal effort in hurling and football. Dungarvan clearly didn't last year, in fact probably even worse as they basically just decided to throw games by the end of it. But your sole focus is on Killrossanty for some reason.

But someone else might argue that playing at Intermediate level which most of those teams are would not be of the required standard and they should all be allowed to move to Senior level.

If you were talking about restructuring the County championships, which you often do, then Brickeys probably wouldn't be an Intermediate team.

Stradbally don't put in an equal effort in hurling and football. Dungarvan clearly didn't last year, in fact probably even worse as they basically just decided to throw games by the end of it. But your sole focus is on Killrossanty for some reason.

Brickeys would still be intermediate but there would be a Senior B championship with 10 club teams and both competitions would be run on a county format similar to the senior set-up. Stradbally do try in fairness, they are competitive in the intermediate hurling championship and they did spend 12 years senior up until 2011. I take it you think Kilrossanty are a model GAA club in their approach to gaa games in waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Allcounty what about all the clubs that completely disregard the game of Gealic Football?

You are having a go at one of the few traditional football clubs in the county that have no tradition in hurling but who to be fair are actually trying to turn it around at underage level at the moment

robopaddy wrote: »
    I think youre being a bit harsh on Kilrossanty Allcounty. what about all the hurling clubs that completely disregard the game of Gaelic Football?

Fair enough it goes both ways, still doesn't make it right though.

You are having a go at one of the few traditional football clubs in the county that have no tradition in hurling but who to be fair are actually trying to turn it around at underage level at the moment

I dont see how they are trying to turn it around. They always fielded teams at underage in hurling but now they have withdrawn from minor where they were able to field teams before and actually topped their group in div 3 in 2009. I'm confused on that point your making.

Brickeys would still be intermediate but there would be a Senior B championship with 10 club teams and both competitions would be run on a county format similar to the senior set-up. Stradbally do try in fairness, they are competitive in the intermediate hurling championship and they did spend 12 years senior up until 2011. I take it you think Kilrossanty are a model GAA club in their approach to gaa games in waterford.

No but it's their prerogative. Think you've unfairly singled them out that is all, and ironically when it is as clear as day that so many clubs here completely disregard football.

No but it's their prerogative. Think you've unfairly singled them out that is all, and ironically when it is as clear as day that so many clubs here completely disregard football.

Ok we'll agree its not right and other clubs go the opposite way aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Ok we'll agree its not right and other clubs go the opposite way aswell.
    You seem to have finally woken up to the fact that its not Kilrossanty alone that concentrate on one code over the other. Of course all clubs will have a tradition of one or the other. Your original statement was how good Clashmore had done at underage and Kilrossanty seem to be doing the same by winning a western title this but you were not happy with that & moved to their lack of hurling at adult level saying they had no training session and that's why perhaps Kieran Power left. Well last year Peter Power did train their Junior hurlers & Dan Shanahan was with their underage this year and as for Kieran Power he would have left even if they were a senior hurling club because of his connections with John Mitchells. So perhaps the decision was made this year to let the hurlers go and improve with other clubs & perhaps this has been a good thing as I think Ballydurn had 5 Kilrossanty players that lost the eastern junior final last weekend. If they had stayed with Kilrossanty they perhaps would have been given walkovers in the western division so this can only be seen as an improvement. As for fielding a Minor hurling team this year, well the number are not just their like many rural clubs. Even Kilrossanty in football this year in minor & u16 are in the lowest division and had to give at least one walkover so if they don't have the numbers at that age for football they surely wont have it in hurling. So to say that Kilrossanty are not a great example of a club in Waterford leads me to believe that you no nothing about the tradition and history of gaelic games in Waterford.

I dont see how they are trying to turn it around. They always fielded teams at underage in hurling but now they have withdrawn from minor where they were able to field teams before and actually topped their group in div 3 in 2009. I'm confused on that point your making.

I have already explained in a previous post not going to make the same point again.

Bear in mind there were a number of these so called model clubs that didnt field minor hurling teams over the past few weeks who gave walkovers, some of them have members of the All Ireland winning mionor panel at their disposal.

You seem to have finally woken up to the fact that its not Kilrossanty alone that concentrate on one code over the other. Of course all clubs will have a tradition of one or the other. Your original statement was how good Clashmore had done at underage and Kilrossanty seem to be doing the same by winning a western title this but you were not happy with that & moved to their lack of hurling at adult level saying they had no training session and that's why perhaps Kieran Power left. Well last year Peter Power did train their Junior hurlers & Dan Shanahan was with their underage this year and as for Kieran Power he would have left even if they were a senior hurling club because of his connections with John Mitchells. So perhaps the decision was made this year to let the hurlers go and improve with other clubs & perhaps this has been a good thing as I think Ballydurn had 5 Kilrossanty players that lost the eastern junior final last weekend. If they had stayed with Kilrossanty they perhaps would have been given walkovers in the western division so this can only be seen as an improvement. As for fielding a Minor hurling team this year, well the number are not just their like many rural clubs. Even Kilrossanty in football this year in minor & u16 are in the lowest division and had to give at least one walkover so if they don't have the numbers at that age for football they surely wont have it in hurling. So to say that Kilrossanty are not a great example of a club in Waterford leads me to believe that you no nothing about the tradition and history of gaelic games in Waterford.

They fielded 2 adult teams in football, one of which is senior but they dont have the numbers for 1 junior team. I do think they could put some effort in. If Peter Power trained them last year why throw the towl in this year and refuse to enter a hurling team. They should have built on the progress of having an experienced hurling coach involved with them. Having their players go elsewhere to continue playing the game I dont see as a good thing.
    They had the numbers at minor hurling other years and were strong enough to win an U16 hurling div 4 county title 2 yrs ago and also if they can field a minor football team they could give hurling the same respect.

Bear in mind there were a number of these so called model clubs that didnt field minor hurling teams over the past few weeks who gave walkovers, some of them have members of the All Ireland winning mionor panel at their disposal.

Was that not because the U16 football championship was been held on the same day at the same time as the minor hurling championship and in the more rural clubs without the U16's they couldn't possibly fullfill the minor fixtures.

Was that not because the U16 football championship was been held on the same day at the same time as the minor hurling championship and in the more rural clubs without the U16's they couldn't possibly fullfill the minor fixtures.

if that is true then we really have a shower of numptys running the county

if that is true then we really have a shower of numptys running the county

Yes thats our county board for ya. Great foresight, so much so they still have refused to release the strategic plan for waterford gaa after promising it every year at their county agm for the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

Anyone heard, when are the senior football semi finals on? Somebody mentioned something in passing to me, but can't find the actual fixtures on the net, or on Twitter.

Also, any idea when the minor hurling finals are fixed for?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

They are all progressive clubs in fairness. St. Oliver's doing great work also at juvenile level. Although it is difficult to get to and keep at senior level in both codes, it doesn't stop those clubs putting effort into both. I feel Clashmore would have something to offer in senior hurling, if they could make the breakthrough. Like all intermediate clubs going up though, they might struggle if they got there, but they have been bringing through young hurling talent in recent years.

I see De la Salle play John Mitchell's on Saturday in Walsh Park in the football. Will the few extra lads from the senior hurling team get De la Salle over the line?

Will we have a new dual senior club in 2014? Hard to imagine it, but ya never know....

Anyone heard, when are the senior football semi finals on? Somebody mentioned something in passing to me, but can't find the actual fixtures on the net, or on Twitter.

Also, any idea when the minor hurling finals are fixed for?

Nire v Ballinacourty Saturday 12th of October @ 7.30pm in Fraher Field

Not sure about Stradbally v Clashmore but presumably on Sunday the 13th in Fraher Field

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Nire v Ballinacourty Saturday 12th of October @ 7.30pm in Fraher Field

Not sure about Stradbally v Clashmore but presumably on Sunday the 13th in Fraher Field
    Stradbally v An Rinn* 6th oct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

New league format proposed

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2013/1001/477680-hurling-league-top-flight-could-see-expansion/
    Division 1A Tipperary, Kilkenny, Galway, Waterford, Clare, Dublin

Cork, Limerick

Division 1B Offaly, Wexford, Antrim, Carlow, Laois, Westmeath

There isnt enough rolleyes really, clearly just to keep Cork in the top flight. Division 1B now a farce and from our point of view if this goes through it will mean that avoiding relegation will be more important than ever as for sure we wouldnt be 'kept up' by the GAA like Cork are

• Registered Users Posts: 1 comeraghexile

long time follower - first time poster.

on underage hurling in kilrossanty - a lot of work is being done from under 8 up to under 16 however there is a struggle with numbers at minor level.They struggle even at minor football to field - having given at least one walkover this year as far as I remember.
    This years minor team and 2012 minor team would have been successfull at under 12 in hurling and football ( both 13 a side ) but as the team progressed they would have lost numbers with girls not being allowed play , the introduction of minimum age restrictions and natural drop out of a couple of players during that time.
    The 2009 minor team were together from under 8 up and were able to keep the numbers together as well as a couple of new comers to the parish joining the team as well.

Re junior hurling - decision was taken at AGM last year not to enter team. Some players wanted to play hurling while others did not and wanted to concentrate on football. By not entering a junior hurling it gave those that wanted to play X amount of games a year to join a hurling team rather than get maybe 1/2 games and see walkovers being given.

I think that this was a fair decision - fella's could have said at the agm - I suppose I'll play and then later on in the year not bother playing leaving those who want to hurl up the proverbial creek. All players were given the option to join a team like Clonea which 3/4 joined. Another 10/12 completed transfers to ballydurn but I think only 5 or 6 played in the end.
    At the end of the day it gave those lads serious abt hurling the chance to play. It also saved the club the 1000euro for entering a hurling team that might only play a couple of games.

Just to confirm your suspicions I am from Kilrossanty.

OK Can we move on from this topic now that its been clarified, I dont think weve ever had so much discussion over a junior hurling team, or in this case a non-existent junior hurling team.

Word on todays independent that Waterford managerial search is afterall going beyond the county bounds. Its good to know they are at least looking beyond Queally & McGrath as there has to be better options out there imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Any ideas as to who is being considered outside the county?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Cake Man wrote: »
    Any ideas as to who is being considered outside the county?

Its between Marty Morrissey & big joe joyce

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

From today's Indo.

Waterford may look beyond nominations for new hurling manager

WATERFORD have confirmed that they may look outside the nominations made by the clubs for a successor to Michael Ryan as hurling manager

Only two of the nominations for the post – Derek McGrath and Peter Queally – have left their names in the hat as the county look to put their management team in place ahead of the new season.
    And while Deise chairman Tom Cunningham was reluctant to be drawn on the process, he confirmed that they might look elsewhere and that they would take their time in order to find the right man.
    "We haven't set any date or deadline for it yet," he said. "We are not under any pressure and we want to get it right, so we are not going to rush it."
    Waterford have set up a six-strong committee to secure a manager, comprising Cunningham, secretary Timmy O'Keeffe, treasurer Joe Cleary and vice-chairman John O'Leary, as well as former players James Murray and Stephen Frampton.
    Queally served as U-21 manager this year as his side ran eventual All-Ireland champions Clare to just four points and also served as a selector under Davy Fitzgerald.
    McGrath (pictured) enjoyed great success with the De La Salle school in the Harty and Croke Cups, while he also steered the Waterford club of the same name to championship success last year. The likes of DJ Carey and Ryan have already withdrawn from the race, while others like Martin Fogarty and Donal Og Cusack have also been linked with the post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

time to get scully back

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

KevIRL wrote: »
    New league format proposed

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2013/1001/477680-hurling-league-top-flight-could-see-expansion/

There isnt enough rolleyes really, clearly just to keep Cork in the top flight. Division 1B now a farce and from our point of view if this goes through it will mean that avoiding relegation will be more important than ever as for sure we wouldnt be 'kept up' by the GAA like Cork are
    I had this discussion with my brother just after that relegation match. And I had told him put everything you own a the bet.that we will have a new league structure for 2014 because cork were in the glorified division 2... Its very true Corruption runs deep in every sport. Amateur or professional

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

time to get scully back

Not going to happen chief

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Not going to happen chief

I think the panel muyst realise by now the absolute clusterfeck they have caused, i'm sure if they vould go back back they wouldnt have done it time to man the **** up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement