Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

So basically Kevin Moran has got an all star nomination for ten minutes of hurling against Kilkenny. Makes me laugh. Well below standard in all the other games. Feel bad for Jamie nagle who was easily our most consistent player. Not a big enough name obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

Piece from The Guardian on Wednesday -
    In praise of … hurling

The courage and commitment of Cork and Clare were a shining example of sportsmanship

Sporting combatants playing for love not money, with only helmets for protection, clash with ash sticks while trying to catch a ball consisting of cork wrapped in thick leather flying through the air at a terrifying velocity. Welcome to the ancient Irish game of hurling, arguably the fastest contact sport played on grass. Last weekend, 82,000 people wearing the red and white of Cork or the yellow and blue of Clare watched their heroes play out what many regard as the greatest All-Ireland hurling final. Hopefully the Gaelic Athletic Association will do all sports fans everywhere a massive favour and produce DVD copies of this memorable game, where Clare emerged victorious. As Premier League soccer is again soiled with prima donna antics – see the scratch-and-send-off controversy of Torres at Spurs at the weekend – the hand-eye co-ordination and the courage and commitment of Cork and Clare were a shining example of sportsmanship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

I actually agree with the seeding idea. Niall Carew first admitted he was in favour of it aswell but then backtracked on it when the Waterford panel said that they werent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Patrick Kelly had a better year/is a better player than Stephen O'Keeffe apparently. Mother of god, what on earth is wrong with these people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

robopaddy wrote: »
    I actually agree with the seeding idea. Niall Carew first admitted he was in favour of it aswell but then backtracked on it when the Waterford panel said that they werent.

What purpose does the seeded draw serve only to hugly increase the liklyhood of a Cork v Kerry Munster Final and a bumper pay day for the Munster Council - it flies completely in the face of the concept of a championship. The Waterford delegate on the night didn't even bother to vote which is shamefull and IMO a derilect of duty and We are now seeing with the news re. the hurling league why Limerick offered their support to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

What purpose does the seeded draw serve only to hugly increase the liklyhood of a Cork v Kerry Munster Final and a bumper pay day for the Munster Council - it flies completely in the face of the concept of a championship. The Waterford delegate on the night didn't even bother to vote which is shamefull and IMO a derilect of duty and We are now seeing with the news re. the hurling league why Limerick offered their support to Cork.

Yep - seems to be pretty clear what's going on. Strange behaviour from the Waterford delegate too btw.

Look Cork V Kerry is the Munster final anyway whether they meet in the first round, semi or final they are going to meet anyway that is the reality. The main purpose of seeding it is that it reduces the amount of complete dead rubber games from 4 to 2 and gives the weaker counties a chance to be more competitive. At least this way the 4 weaker counties will be guaranteed a first round game to look forward to that they have a chance of winning, I know Tipp for example were disillusioned about having drawn Kerry in the first round for something like 3 years running this year. You are basically training all year for the qualifiers rather than the first round of the Munster Championship and what is the point in that considering the Munster championship draw is being made tonight yet you dont find out who your playing in the qualifiers then until next June or July.

At least this way the 2 counties that go through to the semi finals will have the benefit of a competitive game behind them over the 'big two' and can go into a semi final with a bit of confidence and momentum. If after a couple of seasons they are still getting hammered then ok change back to the old system as its only robbing Peter to pay Paul anyway, but I beleive this way is giving counties a genuine chance to gain some ground on Cork & Kerry and if a county like Tipp ends up causing an upset in the next couple of years I doubt youl be complaining about the system

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Look Cork V Kerry is the Munster final anyway whether they meet in the first round, semi or final they are going to meet anyway that is the reality. The main purpose of seeding it is that it reduces the amount of complete dead rubber games from 4 to 2 and gives the weaker counties a chance to be more competitive. At least this way the 4 weaker counties will be guaranteed a first round game to look forward to that they have a chance of winning, I know Tipp for example were disillusioned about having drawn Kerry in the first round for something like 3 years running this year. You are basically training all year for the qualifiers rather than the first round of the Munster Championship and what is the point in that considering the Munster championship draw is being made tonight yet you dont find out who your playing in the qualifiers then until next June or July.

At least this way the 2 counties that go through to the semi finals will have the benefit of a competitive game behind them over the 'big two' and can go into a semi final with a bit of confidence and momentum. If after a couple of seasons they are still getting hammered then ok change back to the old system as its only robbing Peter to pay Paul anyway, but I beleive this way is giving counties a genuine chance to gain some ground on Cork & Kerry and if a county like Tipp ends up causing an upset in the next couple of years I doubt youl be complaining about the system

Limerick came very close to winning a Munster on a couple of occasions in the last few years, but blew their chances. Tipp are now a force in underage football, and it's only a matter before that translates into their senior team if their current progress is maintained.

I'm not sure which way I'd go on this. Personally I think the weaker counties could be in a stronger position if they have a chance to play a game before facing the likes of Cork or Kerry.

The other side of it is that if a weaker county reaches the Munster final, they'll be straight into the last 12 of the All Ireland series. This year London ended up playing against Cavan with the winner reaching the All Ireland quarter final. Normally the likes of Waterford, Clare, Tipp or Limerick would all fancy their chances of beating either of those sides.

I suspect the Munster Council came under pressure from Cork and Kerry who want this direct route to either the quarter final or Round 4 of the qualifiers, plus GAA HQ who probably don't want risk of smaller counties taking part in these fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Surely the Tipp proposal that Tipp, Waterford, Clare and Limerick play each other in two quarter finals and the semi finals are on a complete open draw achieves all this and is a far better system for reducing the one sided opening round games??

The proposed system is a farce what ever way you look at it, how would you have felt if Tipp and Cork had have been receiving byes to the semi and were then kept apart in hurling 25 years ago, would Clare, Limerick and Waterford have made the breakthrough that they all did??

• Advertisement

Surely the Tipp proposal that Tipp, Waterford, Clare and Limerick play each other in two quarter finals and the semi finals are on a complete open draw achieves all this and is a far better system for reducing the one sided opening round games??

The proposed system is a farce what ever way you look at it, how would you have felt if Tipp and Cork had have been receiving byes to the semi and were then kept apart in hurling 25 years ago, would Clare, Limerick and Waterford have made the breakthrough that they all did??

Yea I must admit I wasnt aware of that first proposal from Tipp it would make a lot of sense.

I dont think you can compare the hurling from 25 years ago its different as Clare Limerick and Waterford even though behind the 'big 2' there was always chance of an upset from one of them maybe every couple of years, whereas in the football Cork and Kerry are so far ahead they are only caught roughly every 10 or 15 years.

I just think any change from the current system is positive as the Munster SFC is just a bit depressing when you see all the one-sided games and the paltry attendances

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Just have to get past both All Ireland finalists then to get to a Munster final next year. Easy Peasy

Waterford v Cork in QF, winners play Clare

I hear we're playing Cork. Bring it :D

Savage draw all in all, Limerick v Clare with the winners playing Tipp on the other side. Gonna be a special Munster championship next year.

I hear we're playing Cork. Bring it :D

Savage draw all in all, Limerick v Clare with the winners playing Tipp on the other side. Gonna be a special Munster championship next year.

Nope ML

We play Cork and winners of that game play Clare
    Tipp v Limerick on other side

Footballers in the seeded draw

QF v Clare and winners play away to Kerry. Even easier than the hurling:D

KevIRL wrote: »
    Nope ML

We play Cork and winners of that game play Clare
    Tipp v Limerick on other side

Yeah sorry the text I got wasn't very clear. That is less good, basically the same draw as last year just with a slight inversion on our side.

Delighted we are playing Cork though.

On the Cork thread all the early talk is about a rematch with Clare. It will be the media talk as well, and hopefully it goes down to the Cork team as well. Perfect scenario for us really

On the Cork thread all the early talk is about a rematch with Clare. It will be the media talk as well, and hopefully it goes down to the Cork team as well. Perfect scenario for us really

Bit early for it all yet I suppose, if we do well in the league that could change.

It is but theres a lot of work to do between now and then. Priority at the moment is to get the right management team in and start from scratch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Yeah sorry the text I got wasn't very clear. That is less good, basically the same draw as last year just with a slight inversion on our side.

Delighted we are playing Cork though.

And were delighted to play ye.A lot of nonsence been spouted about Cork fans thinking were playing Clare already.We don't fear Waterford and Waterford don't fear us either.I expect a typical 50/50 game as per usual with Waterford.It's only natural that some of us are a bit eager to have another crack at Clare!Throw in the ball reff and the best team will win.Well done on the minor all ireland btw.I feel that Cork probably overachieved this year and that they are a team that are few players short of winning an all ireland.I do think Cork quite possibly have a better team than Waterford but i wouldn't put the house on it either!If Waterford beat Kilkenny this year which they should have then i would have known for sure.I suppose we'll have time enough to worry about it when next years league is over!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

I see De la Salle play John Mitchell's on Saturday in Walsh Park in the football. Will the few extra lads from the senior hurling team get De la Salle over the line?

Will we have a new dual senior club in 2014? Hard to imagine it, but ya never know....

Step closer now and Cnoc Sion in junior final!

About Peter Queally he took Youghal to a county final in 2011 and if we win this years premier intermediate final he would deserve credit for the success.I have a lot of time for him and it would be nice to see himself and JBM lock horns next summer.I don't know much about Derek McGrath so i can't really comment there.

And were delighted to play ye.A lot of nonsence been spouted about Cork fans thinking were playing Clare already.We don't fear Waterford and Waterford don't fear us either.I expect a typical 50/50 game as per usual with Waterford.It's only natural that some of us are a bit eager to have another crack at Clare!Throw in the ball reff and the best team will win.Well done on the minor all ireland btw.I feel that Cork probably overachieved this year and that they are a team that are few players short of winning an all ireland.I do think Cork quite possibly have a better team than Waterford but i wouldn't put the house on it either!If Waterford beat Kilkenny this year which they should have then i would have known for sure.I suppose we'll have time enough to worry about it when next years league is over!

I don't mean Im delighted to play Cork because I think we'll beat ye, but rather I think it's a great fixture. My inherent bias means I am optimistic about every game but I really feel Cork v Waterford is something special, in my lifetime at least anyway.

It's been too long since we played each other in a game outside of the Munster Final.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I don't mean Im delighted to play Cork because I think we'll beat ye, but rather I think it's a great fixture. My inherent bias means I am optimistic about every game but I really feel Cork v Waterford is something special, in my lifetime at least anyway.

It's been too long since we played each other in a game outside of the Munster Final.

Yea, last year is far too many years ago... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

When do ye hope to have the new manager announced?any time frame given?

deise_girl wrote: »
    Yea, last year is far too many years ago... :pac:

I was clearly talking about Munster, so :pac: yourself

Don't worry there's nothing wrong with expecting your team to win and Cork and Waterford is usually a great game of hurling.However i doubt that Cork will be winning much unless they find a half back line.The fact that they gave Clare a tough enough battle on both days without a functioning half back line was some achievement.Waterford on the other hand seem to a lot stronger in the half back line with the Brick and Kevin Moran and sure won't John Mullane be back next year as well!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I see De la Salle play John Mitchell's on Saturday in Walsh Park in the football. Will the few extra lads from the senior hurling team get De la Salle over the line?

Will we have a new dual senior club in 2014? Hard to imagine it, but ya never know....

De La Salle won and Ballyduff Upper upset Geraldines in Fraher Field today so a new dual senior club is happening regardless. Hard to look past DLS, that was a super result against Mitchell's yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Went to west intermediate final. Very entertaining finish, Clashmore went 2 points up with 2 mins to go and Ardmore scored the last 3 points of the game. Seamus prendergast hit a 65 for the last puck of the game 3 mins into injury time, it hit off the post and landed on top of the goal net which triggered celebrations for one set of supporters and hart ache for the other. I thought Aadmore were the better team with good performances from the 2 Prendergasts, David Gartland , Cathal Hennessey and the best player on the field Seamus Keating imo. When I saw Keating playing harty he never seemed to get on the score board but now he is backing himself and scored 4 lovely points from midfield. I think he has a future for the county team as his hight, physical presence and stricking of the ball over the bar was very good.

Clashmore realied too much on frees and the 2 goals to keep them in the game. Paul O connor was their best player scoring 1.4 , Tadhg Bourke did well at centre back and was good on frees however he is not big or strong enough yet for a call up to the county team. Brian O Halloran did well when he came on for the last 15mins scoring 2 good points from play. I would say Dunhill will go back up senior for one more year as with the extra competitive games in senior last year will stand to them. The gulf between senior and intermediate is definitely bigger than other counties which is a pity, even if some of the divisional finals end up been close and exciting. I also stopped off in Kilrossanty on the way to Dungarven and it was very encouraging to see about 12 young lads having a hurling game between themselves so appolgies to anyone from that area for suggesting earlier in the week they weren't supporting hurling in the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

alllcounty wrote: »
    Went to west intermediate final. Very entertaining finish, Clashmore went 2 points up with 2 mins to go and Ardmore scored the last 3 points of the game. Seamus prendergast hit a 65 for the last puck of the game 3 mins into injury time, it hit off the post and landed on top of the goal net which triggered celebrations for one set of supporters and hart ache for the other. I thought Aadmore were the better team with good performances from the 2 Prendergasts, David Gartland , Cathal Hennessey and the best player on the field Seamus Keating imo. When I saw Keating playing harty he never seemed to get on the score board but now he is backing himself and scored 4 lovely points from midfield. I think he has a future for the county team as his hight, physical presence and stricking of the ball over the bar was very good.

Clashmore realied too much on frees and the 2 goals to keep them in the game. Paul O connor was their best player scoring 1.4 , Tadhg Bourke did well at centre back and was good on frees however he is not big or strong enough yet for a call up to the county team. Brian O Halloran did well when he came on for the last 15mins scoring 2 good points from play. I would say Dunhill will go back up senior for one more year as with the extra competitive games in senior last year will stand to them. The gulf between senior and intermediate is definitely bigger than other counties which is a pity, even if some of the divisional finals end up been close and exciting. I also stopped off in Kilrossanty on the way to Dungarven and it was very encouraging to see about 12 young lads having a hurling game between themselves so appolgies to anyone from that area for suggesting earlier in the week they weren't supporting hurling in the club.
    Yeah Keating played top class, a great option for the county team in the coming years, we seem to have a number of ball winning players coming through with also Corman Curran and DJ Foran, something we've been lacking in the senior team since 08/09.
    I'd love to see Brian O' Halloran get a bit of luck and stay injury free next year, only on the pitch for 15mins today and he scored 2 absolute beauts while being about about 40% fit. Also Tadhg Bourke might not be strong enough for the county team yet but he's sure to be doing a s+c program over the winter, will be involved with UCC also so I wouldn't be surprised seeing him making the county panel next year. He kept shane o donnell scoreless down in walsh park in august, a nice stat for the CV!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement