Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

I was clearly talking about Munster, so :pac: yourself

Clearly:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

De La Salle won and Ballyduff Upper upset Geraldines in Fraher Field today so a new dual senior club is happening regardless. Hard to look past DLS, that was a super result against Mitchell's yesterday!

Considering the small amount of clubs in the county, its a bit surprising that we don't have more dual senior clubs. Still, good to see another coming through.

You'd have to fancy DLS in the final alright. They've been knocking on the door there for the guts of ten years. If they took the football anyway seriously they'd be well able to compete at senior level with the resources they have.

Does anyone know the date and venue for that game actually?

Also, I think Mount Sion have won a few divisional titles at junior level in recent years also? Kudos to those involved. I know they won a number of senior football titles back in the day, but they've been down a while. Waterford would benefit greatly if more city clubs would start taking the game a bit more seriously.

Jason Ryan is set to be named as Kildare football manager tomorrow night.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Jason Ryan is set to be named as Kildare football manager tomorrow night.

That was always on the cards I beleive it was part of the plan in bringing him into the backroom team last year to blood him and familiarise himself with the setup.

Turned down the Waterford job last year for this so good luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Considering the small amount of clubs in the county, its a bit surprising that we don't have more dual senior clubs. Still, good to see another coming through.

You'd have to fancy DLS in the final alright. They've been knocking on the door there for the guts of ten years. If they took the football anyway seriously they'd be well able to compete at senior level with the resources they have.

Also, I think Mount Sion have won a few divisional titles at junior level in recent years also? Kudos to those involved. I know they won a number of senior football titles back in the day, but they've been down a while. Waterford would benefit greatly if more city clubs would start taking the game a bit more seriously.

On the 19th in Fraher as far as I'm aware. It usually alternates between Walsh park and the Fraher every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Sami Jenkis

We've won 4 or 5 Eastern titles in the last 7 or 8 years I think. When everyone is available it's a good team, but I can guarantee you football will always never be of the utmost importance in Mount Sion. It is a shame really but it's just the way it has always been in all my time up there. We haven't had a single football training session all year, and over the course of all the games a total of 49 different players were used, so that stat speaks for it'self. Still there's a county championship on offer which would be great to win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

We've won 4 or 5 Eastern titles in the last 7 or 8 years I think. When everyone is available it's a good team, but I can guarantee you football will always never be of the utmost importance in Mount Sion. It is a shame really but it's just the way it has always been in all my time up there. We haven't had a single football training session all year, and over the course of all the games a total of 49 different players were used, so that stat speaks for it'self. Still there's a county championship on offer which would be great to win!

Says a lot about the standard of football in the lower ecchelons of Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Just watched the 2004 Munster Final again the other night for the first time in 5/6 years. While it was very exciting, and a complete nailbiter at the end, I'm not sure was it the greatest game of all time. There was a serious number of brutal wides by both teams, mixed in with the Hollywood points.

Jesus Paul Flynn was maddening to watch at times. He misses a free 30 yards from the goal - straight in front of the goal, and then a couple of minutes scored THAT goal.

The main point I took out of it was that really we would have had a great chance to get to the final that year if Mullane hadn't been sent off. (Original Thought I Know). Really he was very unlucky to get caught hitting Murphy that flake, considering the **** that lads have gotten away with since.

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Just watched the 2004 Munster Final again the other night for the first time in 5/6 years. While it was very exciting, and a complete nailbiter at the end, I'm not sure was it the greatest game of all time. There was a serious number of brutal wides by both teams, mixed in with the Hollywood points.

Jesus Paul Flynn was maddening to watch at times. He misses a free 30 yards from the goal - straight in front of the goal, and then a couple of minutes scored THAT goal.

The main point I took out of it was that really we would have had a great chance to get to the final that year if Mullane hadn't been sent off. (Original Thought I Know). Really he was very unlucky to get caught hitting Murphy that flake, considering the **** that lads have gotten away with since.

Even though it was just 9 years ago (hard to imagine all the same) the game has moved up a level even since then. Kilkenny have set the bar with regard to clinical finishing and ruthlessness in taking scores, and Clare have taken that lead this year as can be seen with the accuracy of their shooting. This was something they worked phenomenally hard on. Expect more counties to up their game in that department next season aswell.

But I remember pretty much everything about that game and entire day in fact as it was just mind blowing stuff. I agree that we would have beaten Kilkenny in the semi final with Mullane that year. Flynn did all our scoring and they had shanahan was well marshalled but the other forwards just didnt do it. Jack Kennedy came on in the second half and fired over 3 points from play if an on song Mullane was there that day it could have been taylor made for him and could have been the winning if it.

But if we had beaten KK and made it through to the final would we have had it in the tank to beat Cork again? They were superb in that final against KK and I think the losing of that Munster final was a watershed moment for that team

robopaddy wrote: »
    That was always on the cards I beleive it was part of the plan in bringing him into the backroom team last year to blood him and familiarise himself with the setup.

Turned down the Waterford job last year for this so good luck to him

Actually, he publicly stated that he had no interest in the job after McGeeney was removed from his post.

Whether it was part of the plan to have him another couple of years down the road is another thing, as the players were furious to see McGeeney let go this year.

I think he turned down the Waterford job full stop after quitting Wexford. Managing Waterford would be a big step down for him, and probably a very frustrating role with the structures we have in place. The Kildare opportunity came along afterwards.

• Advertisement

Even though it was just 9 years ago (hard to imagine all the same) the game has moved up a level even since then. Kilkenny have set the bar with regard to clinical finishing and ruthlessness in taking scores, and Clare have taken that lead this year as can be seen with the accuracy of their shooting. This was something they worked phenomenally hard on. Expect more counties to up their game in that department next season aswell.

But I remember pretty much everything about that game and entire day in fact as it was just mind blowing stuff. I agree that we would have beaten Kilkenny in the semi final with Mullane that year. Flynn did all our scoring and they had shanahan was well marshalled but the other forwards just didnt do it. Jack Kennedy came on in the second half and fired over 3 points from play if an on song Mullane was there that day it could have been taylor made for him and could have been the winning if it.

But if we had beaten KK and made it through to the final would we have had it in the tank to beat Cork again? They were superb in that final against KK and I think the losing of that Munster final was a watershed moment for that team

Excuse me :confused:

All year it's bee highlighted they were scoring the most points, but also hitting the most wides. I came in at half time in the Wexford Clare game and I watched Tony Kelly alone hit at least 5 wides in that half. That probably changed a bit in the final, but the only time I've seen perfect accuracy was the first half of the 2008 all ireland final from Kilkenny. Never seen anything like it.

I think in terms of skill the 2004 munster final beats the game last Saturday week, though hard to say from an entertainment point of view which was better (I'm not impartial to be fair.)

I agree with everything else yer saying about 2004. All ifs and buts though at this stage.

Actually, he publicly stated that he had no interest in the job after McGeeney was removed from his post.

Whether it was part of the plan to have him another couple of years down the road is another thing, as the players were furious to see McGeeney let go this year.

I think he turned down the Waterford job full stop after quitting Wexford. Managing Waterford would be a big step down for him, and probably a very frustrating role with the structures we have in place. The Kildare opportunity came along afterwards.

Yeah and to be fair to him I think he'd like nothing better than to manage Waterford, but you couldn't with what he's achieved. Hope some day that situation changes because it would be a great thing to see. Read Damian Lawlor's book and Ryan's passion for Waterford football was quite refreshing to see.

Excuse me :confused:

All year it's bee highlighted they were scoring the most points, but also hitting the most wides. I came in at half time in the Wexford Clare game and I watched Tony Kelly alone hit at least 5 wides in that half. That probably changed a bit in the final, but the only time I've seen perfect accuracy was the first half of the 2008 all ireland final from Kilkenny. Never seen anything like it.

I think in terms of skill the 2004 munster final beats the game last Saturday week, though hard to say from an entertainment point of view which was better (I'm not impartial to be fair.)

I agree with everything else yer saying about 2004. All ifs and buts though at this stage.

In the league and early stages of the championship they were wracking up huge amounts of wides but by the time they were in the All Ireland final they had improved significantly and had started turning many of those wides into scores I dont know the figures but they must have been averaging 22 or 23 points a game and thats phenomenal scoring no matter how many wides youre missing. Yes they were still hitting a lot of wides but if they had been converting most of those youd be talking about an average of 35/40 points a game :eek:

I never implied that they perfected the art like KK did on the ill-fated day for us in 2008 but that will realistically never be surpassed, on a regular basis anyway. But I think you will see a lot of high scoring games over the next few years becuase other teams will be trying to emulate Clares high point scoring average in order to counteract them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Says a lot about the standard of football in the lower ecchelons of Waterford.

I don't think that is fair to say. It might be for some clubs, more over to those the closer to the city you get. In the West of the county, there is Junior and Intermediate Clubs who may have a pick of at their very best 20 to 23 players, and that they train as hard and maybe harder than the bigger clubs playing in higher grades.

The structures in the junior are part of the issue.

I suspect the likes of Mount Sion would rope in a lot of soccer players who give that their number one priority as it is the most organised sport around in terms of availability of fixtures.

The junior premier east had 8 teams in it. Similar story in the west. There were a number of games conceded by eastern clubs, so a lot of teams would have played 5-7 games. I can't see dates on the website, but I'd bet they were played at pretty sporadic times as well.

I don't think you will get lads training too hard for a competition which probably allows them a game a month at best. In places like the city, the likes of Mount Sion and others would lose lads to soccer, and I'm sure senior hurlers don't get involved.

In places like Dublin, all club players, including those playing in Div.10 of the league, could expect 20 games a season minimum, and at regular intervals - normally every two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

But I think you will see a lot of high scoring games over the next few years becuase other teams will be trying to emulate Clares high point scoring average in order to counteract them

Not if teams cop on and apply the Sweeper like queally did with the U21's. This Clare team trives on space, give them space and they will burry you. Cork were a very skillfull team prepared by JBM and they went 15 against 15 and it didn't work. If they tried the sweeper I dont think Clare would have been so dominent the first day and shane o donnell would not have scored 3.3 the second day.

I don't think you will get lads training too hard for a competition which probably allows them a game a month at best. In places like the city, the likes of Mount Sion and others would lose lads to soccer, and I'm sure senior hurlers don't get involved.

In places like Dublin, all club players, including those playing in Div.10 of the league, could expect 20 games a season minimum, and at regular intervals - normally every two weeks.

The more competitive games a team plays the better they become. For example the only eastern intermediate club that didn't take part in the intermediate league this year was Erins Own and as a result they finished bottom of their group in the championship. Both Dunhill and Portlaw got to the league and championship final. The only western intermediate not to take part in the league was Tourin and the only game they won all year was against Fourmilewater's second team.

Black Suir wrote: »
    I don't think that is fair to say. It might be for some clubs, more over to those the closer to the city you get. In the West of the county, there is Junior and Intermediate Clubs who may have a pick of at their very best 20 to 23 players, and that they train as hard and maybe harder than the bigger clubs playing in higher grades.

Wouldn't fault the effort of some players/clubs. But the standard is still pretty tragic.

That's not to say their aren't some outstanding players playing for them but it's just the way of it. Clubs having small picks no doubt hinders their chance of development, but at the same time when you see the likes of Caltra winning an All-ireland club title or of course the powerhouse Ballyhale that also has a tiny population, or even closer to home with Stradbally as dominant as they have been in Waterford, then you'd have to size population doesn't seem to be the biggest factor in a clubs success.

Compare the standard at these levels to most other counties in the Country and it's worse. And sure, anybody that wants to come back and say it's because of the structures might well be entirely correct, but that doesn't in any detract from the statement that at the moment the standard is very poor. The same can be said for Intermediate level and probably Senior level which is quite unbalanced.

When was the last time that a team outside of Ballinacourty, The Nire and Stradbally contested a final? Rathgormack maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

Ardmore v Ballincourty I think a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Deskjockey wrote: »

It was a great game of hurling (or as Big Dan said it was a fantastic game of hurling) and back then ourselves and Waterford were the best teams in the country along with Kilkenny.Of course there was a shattered Dan Shanahan saying what's the score Sean Og when the game was nearly over.Yere up by a point came the reply and i have to say John Gardiner was acting the langer that day when he tried to get Dan sent off.You could say that perhaps Waterford should have landed the big prize in 2004 and 2007 and it's very sad that they didn't.I think the match the year before that the 2003 munster final was very underrated.You had Mullanes hat trick.Waterford started like an express train but Cork got to grips with things and that third Cork goal from Joe Deane was a class finish and Joe never scored too many goals.Hopefully there will be more pyrotechnics when we meet next summer!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

So whats the story with the manager hunt anyone know how its coming along? We know Queally & McGrath are in the mix but other than that its either been very quiet or theyre doing a good job in keeping it under wraps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

So whats the story with the manager hunt anyone know how its coming along? We know Queally & McGrath are in the mix but other than that its either been very quiet or theyre doing a good job in keeping it under wraps

I really hope Queally stays away from senior for another few years. Leave him get some more experience. With the U21's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

IF you all haven't seen this, you should watch it now .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cz6vsTLPJU 2004, Documentary on Munster Hurling Final - Final Words

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Best of luck to the Blackwater CS player who sustained a serious looking neck injury and was removed by ambulance to Cork University hospital, in today's Harty Cup fixture against Rochestown in Fermoy, the game was abandoned shortly after throw in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Best of luck to the Blackwater CS player who sustained a serious looking neck injury and was removed by ambulance to Cork University hospital, in today's Harty Cup fixture against Rochestown in Fermoy, the game was abandoned shortly after throw in.
    Just saw this cork thread.

Best luck to the lad,hope hes okay,no body likes hearing that happen.

My thoughts are with him and hes family.

The structures in the junior are part of the issue.

I suspect the likes of Mount Sion would rope in a lot of soccer players who give that their number one priority as it is the most organised sport around in terms of availability of fixtures.

The junior premier east had 8 teams in it. Similar story in the west. There were a number of games conceded by eastern clubs, so a lot of teams would have played 5-7 games. I can't see dates on the website, but I'd bet they were played at pretty sporadic times as well.

In the west, I think there was no walk over, (there may be one, I am not 100%). Regarding the lack of games, there is a solution to that, scrap the two divisional boards, and play the competition off as one group of twelve, fourteen or sixteen teams, what ever is there. But this wont happen because many of the officers within the county, especially if they sit on the divisional boards don't have the balls to make changes. They are looking after their own All-Ireland tickets etc. And the clubs of the officers wont vote for change either, meaning that there is enough votes to block such a move. He may not be the most popular of people with a lot of people, but what Waterford needs is a few more Timmy O'Keeffe's who is not afraid to make suggestions as to what way we as a county should be moving. His calling for an All-County Intermediate Championship and for us as a county to look into entering home and away arrangements with the likes of Cork, Tipperary and Limerick in the Munster Senior Hurling Championship and to look into using Nolan Park as our home venue, but the clubs and more over the delegates that they send to meetings are too blind to see the benefits of such moves. As they are stuck in their own ways, we as a county, even though we are producing good underage players, thanks in no small part to excellent structures, at adult level we are falling behind our main rivals in Munster and across Ireland. A few years back in Hurling, we would have beaten the likes of Dublin out the gate and back in by half time, but now they are ahead of us structure wise and possibly even when it comes to a game.

According to Tom Cunningham in the Independent I think it was last Wednesday, he did not seem entirely happy with the names nominated by the clubs and was hinting that the committee of six might have to look elsewhere. Maybe this was just Tom's view. We all know that every so often Tom has a major problem with saying the wrong thing. There is no doubting he is a very good GAA man, but many people would be of the view that he is not the best man for the top job in Waterford GAA. The problem however may be that there is not too many others out there who would be any better.

Hslaw wrote: »
    I really hope Queally stays away from senior for another few years. Leave him get some more experience. With the U21's

I'd think he would do a very good job and he may be exactly what we need right now. He has built up alot of managerial experience in the last 10 years, he has managed Ballygunner, Youghal and Passage, selecter of the waterford senior team for 2 years and current U21 county manager. He knows exactly what talent there is in the county and who should be called up to the county team from living in the county and managing this years U21's. An outside manager would't have the same knowledge, with possibly some of our best young players been ommited from the panel. His communication skills are excellent, he is well respected as a community guard in Youghal and seems to have a good raport with players. He is also in shape, strong and looks the part. Maybe we as waterford people dont have faith in our own and that is why we need to seek people from Cork, Clare, Tipp or wherever to show us how to play hurling the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

alllcounty wrote: »
    He is also in shape, strong and looks the part.

Since when is this part of the job spec ? out of shape, not so strong and not looking the part works fine for me if they can manage an inter county team

• Advertisement

Since when is this part of the job spec ? out of shape, not so strong and not looking the part works fine for me if they can manage an inter county team

Just an added bonus so I threw it in. A good few players leave themselves go when they retire, but anyway still think he would be a good manager.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement