Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Black Suir wrote: »
    According to Tom Cunningham in the Independent I think it was last Wednesday, he did not seem entirely happy with the names nominated by the clubs and was hinting that the committee of six might have to look elsewhere. Maybe this was just Tom's view.[/B] We all know that every so often Tom has a major problem with saying the wrong thing. [/B]There is no doubting he is a very good GAA man, but many people would be of the view that he is not the best man for the top job in Waterford GAA. The problem however may be that there is not too many others out there who would be any better.

I think just saying anything at all is a struggle for the man. Time for a new young fresh voice that dosent constantly get lost in translation.

Best of luck to the Blackwater CS player who sustained a serious looking neck injury and was removed by ambulance to Cork University hospital, in today's Harty Cup fixture against Rochestown in Fermoy, the game was abandoned shortly after throw in.

Any news on this? Hopefully no news is good news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

robopaddy wrote: »
    I think just saying anything at all is a struggle for the man. Time for a new young fresh voice that dosent constantly get lost in translation.

Who would you put in there. John O'Leary the current vice chairman would a popular choice but he is involved too long with many of the current officers and would be seen as someone that would want to try and please everyone. In the west of the county there is nothing to offer. I doubt Eddie Cunningham has any aspirations of making a step up the ladder. Pat Grant did a reasonable job while chairman of County Board na nÓg for two years. He might be the best of the Western Board. The rest of them you could forget. In the East, what would Sean O'Regan be like. I don't know him. Tim O'Byrne's time as secretary of the East is up this year. Could we see him go for the job. I heard Seamus Quirke was supposed to be looking for a job on the East or County Board a few weeks back, but I have heard from some people that he was a disaster for the two years he was involved with county Board na nÓg and that for the last number of months of his time in charge, none of the Western Board were attending County Board meetings. To be honest, there seems to be an unwritten rule in the GAA in Waterford with a while now, that an existing officer of divisional county or county board does not challenge an existing officer that wants to remain in the job he or she is holding unless maybe they are unpopular with their fellow officers. I guess that means that we are stuck with Tom for another year or two.

Interesting to hear Sean Power on WLRfm this morning say he would be interested in another year with the Waterford Minors. Interesting times ahead for the County Board and for the Coaching Committee if he does. They have set a precedent for themselves moving management teams up every year or two. Sean Power it could be argued deserves another year, but where would that leave the likes of Derek Lyons who has brought next years minor team up through the ages with some success. If Sean Power is given another year, would Derek and those that have worked with him over the years see it as a kick in the Arse to them and maybe walk away from the game on the inter county scene which would be a terrible shame as he has so much to offer, much more than a lot of others involved with the development squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Who would you put in there. John O'Leary the current vice chairman would a popular choice but he is involved too long with many of the current officers and would be seen as someone that would want to try and please everyone. In the west of the county there is nothing to offer. I doubt Eddie Cunningham has any aspirations of making a step up the ladder. Pat Grant did a reasonable job while chairman of County Board na nÓg for two years. He might be the best of the Western Board.

John O'Leary is running as a county councillor again and has too much of a fianna fail mentality, he was also very strongly opposed to waterford playing home games in nolan park to increase revenues. Eddie Cunningham and Pat Grant are the worst you can get and both currently are the biggest obstacle for waterford reaching it's potential. I think Tom is doing ok, he wouldn't go out of his way to hold waterford back and he is well liked aswell.
    Interesting to hear Sean Power on WLRfm this morning say he would be interested in another year with the Waterford Minors. Interesting times ahead for the County Board and for the Coaching Committee if he does. They have set a precedent for themselves moving management teams up every year or two. Sean Power it could be argued deserves another year, but where would that leave the likes of Derek Lyons who has brought next years minor team up through the ages with some success. If Sean Power is given another year, would Derek and those that have worked with him over the years see it as a kick in the Arse to them and maybe walk away from the game on the inter county scene which would be a terrible shame as he has so much to offer, much more than a lot of others involved with the development squads.

I would have liked next years management of the minors to be the same lads that looked after them from U14 up. The seem to be doing a good job with them winning the forristal in 2010 and getting to the final of the U16 Nenagh tournment in 2012 against cork. It would be a kick in the side to be overlooked now when their time as minor management comes after putting in the work with them from an early age. Sean will have learned from this year and did get them playing very well in the all ireland final. It will be a tough call for the county board to make.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Any news on this? Hopefully no news is good news

https://twitter.com/Denis_Hurley/status/388026308602916864

He's fine thank god

alllcounty wrote: »
    I would have liked next years management of the minors to be the same lads that looked after them from U14 up. The seem to be doing a good job with them winning the forristal in 2010 and getting to the final of the U16 Nenagh tournment in 2012 against cork. It would be a kick in the side to be overlooked now when their time as minor management comes after putting in the work with them from an early age. Sean will have learned from this year and did get them playing very well in the all ireland final. It will be a tough call for the county board to make.

Yea but are they really management material when it comes to this level? Minor is different kettle of fish from development squads level. Of course you need some continuity all the way up along but you also need quality on the sideline. I think Sean Power is a good shout for another year as manager but with a shake up of the selectoion committee with maybe some of those who have been with this group up along involved.

Yea but are they really management material when it comes to this level? Minor is different kettle of fish from development squads level. Of course you need some continuity all the way up along but you also need quality on the sideline. I think Sean Power is a good shout for another year as manager but with a shake up of the selectoion committee with maybe some of those who have been with this group up along involved.

If the same management team that was with them in 2010 at U14 are involved next year with the minors and also alongside Sean aswell, I think would be the best solution. I would hate to see somebody who has done the ground work to be overlooked now when the higher profile management of the minors comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 1club1county

Derek lyons team beat Kilkenny in the Shield final with Conor Gleeson captainig the team Sean Power's team lost to Cork the previous year in the cup final.

Derek lyons team beat Kilkenny in the Shield final with Conor Gleeson captainig the team Sean Power's team lost to Cork the previous year in the cup final.

whats your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

And???

Sean Powers team won the all ireland.

If the same management team that was with them in 2010 at U14 are involved next year with the minors and also alongside Sean aswell, I think would be the best solution. I would hate to see somebody who has done the ground work to be overlooked now when the higher profile management of the minors comes around.

I dont think trying to marry the two selection teams wont work. I have a lot of respect for Derek as a coach and I know a lot of the players have as well. I also know from talking to a few former senior players, that they feel Derek is the best thing to hit Waterford in a very long time. If you put Derek's team in and maybe add Sean Power to it, would he be happy as a selector and leave Derek be manager, and if Sean was to be manager and maybe Derek agreeing to the coach, would Sean want to bring in the three lads he had last year as well as selectors. Where would that leave the lads that worked with Derek with the past four or five years. I am sure that Derek had also people in the back ground helping him and we know that Sean had as well. Where would a marriage of the two leave these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Was Sean Power really management material for inter county minor level at the start of last year? I really couldn't see Sean Power going from winning minor manager to a selector for the 2014 season. Like wise I don't think Derek would settle for the selectors job under Sean after working with these players? Not from Dungarvan but I can Derek is a top class coach, and I can't see him making as many mistakes regarding team selection, positioning of players and reading of the game if he's been with these lads the last few years

I dont think trying to marry the two selection teams wont work. I have a lot of respect for Derek as a coach and I know a lot of the players have as well. I also know from talking to a few former senior players, that they feel Derek is the best thing to hit Waterford in a very long time. If you put Derek's team in and maybe add Sean Power to it, would he be happy as a selector and leave Derek be manager, and if Sean was to be manager and maybe Derek agreeing to the coach, would Sean want to bring in the three lads he had last year as well as selectors. Where would that leave the lads that worked with Derek with the past four or five years. I am sure that Derek had also people in the back ground helping him and we know that Sean had as well. Where would a marriage of the two leave these people.

It's a trickey one to sort out alright. They may get in touch with each other and iron out how it's going to be done. At least we wont be stuck for a management team for the minors next year. It's good we are now producing minor teams that aren't getting hammered every year like from 2008 back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 1club1county

whats your point?

Just highlighting a slight error in the result posted by allcounty

It's a trickey one to sort out alright. They may get in touch with each other and iron out how it's going to be done. At least we wont be stuck for a management team for the minors next year. It's good we are now producing minor teams that aren't getting hammered every year like from 2008 back.

I think that is very hard or else you are reasonably young or maybe have a short memory. In the 90's we appeared in a number of Munster Finals - (pre back door days, when you had to win or you were gone), winning the one in 92 and going on to contest the All-Ireland that year. Was it in 94, 95 and 96 that were reached three finals in a row (again pre-back door days). Who at the game on the night was it in 1996 will never forget the night that Waterford played Clare at Bansha and Ken McGrath gave an exhibition of hurling at centre back.

I think that is very hard or else you are reasonably young or maybe have a short memory. In the 90's we appeared in a number of Munster Finals - (pre back door days, when you had to win or you were gone), winning the one in 92 and going on to contest the All-Ireland that year. Was it in 94, 95 and 96 that were reached three finals in a row (again pre-back door days). Who at the game on the night was it in 1996 will never forget the night that Waterford played Clare at Bansha and Ken McGrath gave an exhibition of hurling at centre back.

But between then and effectively 2009 I dont think we won a single game at this level if you dont count Kerry (with all due respect). We had a couple of draws I remember against Cork down in Walsh Park the year Molumphy and Aiden Kearney were minor and another year against Limerick up in Thurles when the game went to extra time but was abandoned due to fading light I think that was the year Kevin Moran was minor. But like I say we couldnt buy a win in that grade for years and took some awful beatings off Cork along the way aswell. Thankfully we have gotten our act together at underage because up until a few years ago we were on the slippery slope

PS I am open to correction if anyone can recall a minor championship win between 1996 and 2009 excluding beating Kerry

They did win a munster minor title in 92 when Paul Flynn gave a mastercass performance against Tipp in the drawn game and the replay. The minors also contested 3 munsters between 94 and 96 where waterford got beaten on average by 13 points in each of those games. Then from 97 to 2008 waterord never appeared in 1 single munster final and there were many almighty hammering's dished out to the Deise. Fact is other than 92 we were not as competitive at minor in waterford from 1949 to 2008. That is 60 years. From 2009 to 2013 there has been a sudden change in the standard of our minor teams we are producing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

They did win a munster minor title in 92 when Paul Flynn gave a mastercass performance against Tipp in the drawn game and the replay. The minors also contested 3 munsters between 94 and 96 where waterford got beaten on average by 13 points in each of those games. Then from 97 to 2008 waterord never appeared in 1 single munster final and there were many almighty hammering's dished out to the Deise. Fact is other than 92 we were not as competitive at minor in waterford from 1949 to 2008. That is 60 years. From 2009 to 2013 there has been a sudden change in the standard of our minor teams we are producing.

I don't think we were that bad between 1997 and 2008. We only lost by more than ten points in three occasions and had quite a few near misses - from 2002 to 2005, they lost two games by two points and two by one point. If you want 'uncompetitive', check out the period between 1969 and 1991 when we recorded only four wins, all of them against Kerry. It was a similar story at Under-21 level when the only wins we put up against anyone other than Kerry were in 1974 when we won the Munster title. They even contrived to lose to the Kingdom in 1979. Hurling didn't exist in Waterford before 1998 (edit: not that I'm saying you are saying this, more a general point)? 1992 would be closer to the mark.

PS I am open to correction if anyone can recall a minor championship win between 1996 and 2009 excluding beating Kerry

We beat Clare in 2005 in a play-off. Doesn't undermine your point, I guess. We'd need to define what represents an 'awful beating' ;)

• Advertisement

deiseach wrote: »
    We beat Clare in 2005 in a play-off. Doesn't undermine your point, I guess. We'd need to define what represents an 'awful beating' ;)

Cheers I suppose one is better than none!

I suppose what I mean by an awful beating is in the sence that we would have gone out thinking we were in with a huge chance of beating someone only to be found to be well off the pace. Those kind of defeats can set a county back a bit. I think Cork beat us something like 5 years in a row from 04' to 08' a couple years we werent too far off but there was a couple of drubbings in there aswell. I think the 2 years DLS won the All Ireland Colleges in 07 and 08 there would have been a bit of hype around the minors but those 2 years in particular we fell well short against Cork, very disappointingly.

Cheers I suppose one is better than none!

You'd swear you were from Waterford or something ;)
    I suppose what I mean by an awful beating is in the sence that we would have gone out thinking we were in with a huge chance of beating someone only to be found to be well off the pace. Those kind of defeats can set a county back a bit. I think Cork beat us something like 5 years in a row from 04' to 08' a couple years we werent too far off but there was a couple of drubbings in there aswell. I think the 2 years DLS won the All Ireland Colleges in 07 and 08 there would have been a bit of hype around the minors but those 2 years in particular we fell well short against Cork, very disappointingly.

Your memory is good, we lost to Cork five years on the bounce from 2004 to 2008. By 4, 3 , 5, 15 and 16 points respectively. Ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

We bate em this year, all that matters! (and that we beat them next year, and the year after, and the year after...)

We bate em this year, all that matters! (and that we beat them next year, and the year after, and the year after...)

Ah, what's seldom is wonderful. Felt quite emotional, looking back at the updates on here of the Cork game. We all thought there might be summat special about this team, and we were proven right.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Hello there i am a Waterford gael living in the big smoke so i have eventually decided to sign up to this lunatic asylum!! I get home every weekend and am looking forward to the county finals tomorrow. Possible Dungarvan for the minor and Ballygunner for the senior? Although Passage must have a big chance i feel.

Also congrats to Ray Barry on making the Bord Gais u21 team of the year. Great achievement. Surely has a big future ahead of him along with some of this yrs minors who will hopefully make the breakthrough. Which leads me to my question: Queally or McGrath to lead us for the next 3 yrs and develop all these potentially great hurlers we have coming through in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Stephen Bennett hates goals

Weldone ardmore deserved champions. Could quite possibly be playing youghal in the munster championship wat a game that wud be. local derby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/no-decision-on-new-hurling-league-as-alternative-structure-proposed-29655045.html

see the alternate structure?

seems to be no losers, and Cork don't have to get relegated, seems to please everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/no-decision-on-new-hurling-league-as-alternative-structure-proposed-29655045.html

see the alternate structure?

seems to be no losers, and Cork don't have to get relegated, seems to please everyone

My reading of it is we could be the big losers in terms of our league chances next year. As we would have a high ranking based on this years league and therefore play comparatively harder games than others in the same division as us.

The whole thing seems convoluted, I think the league structure is fine the way it is, and the only thing thats missing is not enough games which they could easily fix by a home and away structure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Weldone ardmore deserved champions. Could quite possibly be playing youghal in the munster championship wat a game that wud be. local derby

They could well be indeed seeing that Youghal have just won the county but i'll save any outburst of emotion about tonight for my fellow langers over on the Cork site!It's great to see Youghal and Ardmore back up to senior level in their respective county championships though.I have a lot of relatives involved in the Ardmore club so i am delighted for them and i would love to see Youghal have a crack off them in munster!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement