Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Actually i think it was announced on Corks 103 fm tonight that Ardmore will be playing Youghal in munster so exciting times ahead for the natives of both places and i think Peter Queally put in a lot of the spade work for Youghals county title.I'd love to see his Passage team do the business tomorrow and that would enhance his CV for the Waterford job.No disrespect to Derek McGrath but some people were only too happy to take away the credit from Michael Ryan for his achievements when he was managing De La Salle and now these same people are going mad for Derek McGrath.I just find that odd tbh.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Stephen bennett was at it again yesterday. Yet another hat trick in the west junior final he scored 3-6 against colligan even with 2 men man marking him. Tramore will be c###ping themselves in the co final this fellah just cant be stopped he is simply too good for junior hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ollie the Saint

what was the score in the west junior final? good standard?

Ballysaggart 3-13 to 0-12. Colligan were a bit disappointing as they looked to be red hot favourites earlier in the competition. The difference was bennetts scoring prowess though he is an explosive talent.

Standard was actually decent this year in the west junior championship some very good young hurlers coming up at the moment

jaysus i was expecting it to be alot closer than that, junior county final finally has a date now on the 27th i think

• Advertisement

ballygunner and passage today, i was there the day ballygunner won by ten or so points earlier in the year and can see ballygunner winning this by 6-7 again me thinks, they have to much depth for passage hope its a good final though

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

There's a nice bit of money to be made on the handicap betting. Last time I checked Ballygunner -2 was evens with BS. I can see Passage sticking with them for a while but Ballygunner are a better all round team and should pull away.

robopaddy wrote: »
    Stephen bennett was at it again yesterday. Yet another hat trick in the west junior final he scored 3-6 against colligan even with 2 men man marking him. Tramore will be c###ping themselves in the co final this fellah just cant be stopped he is simply too good for junior hurling

He's a serious talent. Waterford hurling needs him and his brothers to be playing at a higher level than Junior.

but if they won the west do they not get intermediate hurling next year

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Anyone know if its possible to get a stream somewhere for the match today?

• Advertisement

but if they won the west do they not get intermediate hurling next year

Nope gotta win the county

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Anyone know if its possible to get a stream somewhere for the match today?

Dont think its on tv. Wlrfm online is ur best bet if ur not around

ye sure because in the east the option is there to go up intermediate once you win the eastern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

There is always a team relegated from the West Intermediate but sometimes ,like last year, it is the Junior (Senior attached) champs that go up. Not sure how the process works but I would imagine Ballysaggart will be Intermediate next year.

Tg4 are showing the monaghan co final ahead of ours

And the Tipp County final deferred. There hasn;t been a Waterford County final on tv for a good few years as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

They generally show one hurling and one football. Tipp a more attractive final than ours

Why would TG4 bother showing our final. The amount of work that has to go into setting up cameras and broadcasting equipment on temporary scaffolding in Welsh Park. They literally just have to turn up at Semple or Clones and start broadcasting. It's a no brainer for them.

Anythong better than kieran o connor today. Keeps calling passage de la salle and may I ask is this paudie sullivan hes referring to

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What a finish by Passage. Great way to win their first ever title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

I wonder is Queally a shoe-in now

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

I really, really hope he gets the county job. The belief this man has been able to instill in a team is unreal. When the Passage corner back dropped the ball from a short puckout and the ball ended up in the net, it could easily have resulted the players dropping their heads and giving up. But they stayed with, never paniced or gave up even after the 3rd goal to go 7 points down. And they got their rewards at the final whistle. Ballygunner on paper had clearly the way better players but Passage were able to fight for everything and players you never heard of before were winning the 50:50 battles.

They won the Mollerans tournament at the start of the year {i think it's the first time a waterford club has ever won it} and now they're county champions for the first time in the clubs history. Yes Qeally is from waterford and yes we dont rate our own, but this man is something very special as a player and now as a manager. The passion and self belief he brings to a team, you cannot put a price on. We really need him now more than ever, he knows what talent there is in the county, he knows what to expect from been a selecter of the county senior team previously and he knows how to get the best out of the Waterford county team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

That intermediate county title Youghal won last night had Peter Queally fingerprints written all over it and his Passage East team have just taken out the mighty Ballygunner so Peter Quelly has been really raining on those Derek McGrath supporters parade over the weekend!If it's going to be a Waterford man for the job then Peter Queally is the number 1 candidate.Like it or lump it those are the facts.I just hope Peter realises that everyone in Youghal thought of him and the work he did for us at the final whistle last night.So in a way he won two county titles this weekend.

As for the league structure leave it as it is.There was nothing wrong with it.The Cork County Board should be more worried about the underage hurling crises in Cork instead of trying to shaft rival counties with dodgy backroom dealings.Let's just take our medicine and get on with it.The main thing is for Cork to find the 4 or 5 players they need to fill the team out and they can still reach a league final from division 2 so let's leave things as they are.Division 2 hurling didn't do Dublin Clare or Limerick any harm!The league matches have been very exciting under the current format so let's just leave it be.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

That intermediate county title Youghal won last night had Peter Queally fingerprints written all over it and his Passage East team have just taken out the mighty Ballygunner so Peter Quelly has been really raining on those Derek McGrath supporters parade over the weekend!If it's going to be a Waterford man for the job then Peter Queally is the number 1 candidate.Like it or lump it those are the facts.I just hope Peter realises that everyone in Youghal thought of him and the work he did for us at the final whistle last night.So in a way he won two county titles this weekend.

As for the league structure leave it as it is.There was nothing wrong with it.The Cork County Board should be more worried about the underage hurling crises in Cork instead of trying to shaft rival counties with dodgy backroom dealings.Let's just take our medicine and get on with it.The main thing is for Cork to find the 4 or 5 players they need to fill the team out and they can still reach a league final from division 2 so let's leave things as they are.Division 2 hurling didn't do Dublin Clare or Limerick any harm!The league matches have been very exciting under the current format so let's just leave it be.
    Totally agree with all you said.Youghal were unlucky to loose to a well coached courcey team,coached by a good coach in myler.Courcey had been knocking around for a while,so no shame beaten by them when queally their.

Queally is a good coach.AS regards the league ,i agree it shouldnt be changed to suit cork.Everything you said ,you were correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Amazing result that no one could have predicted as the game went into 2 minutes additional time with Connors standing over a free and his team 4 points behind. I am thrilled for Passage, Ballygunner will win plenty more but what is seldom is wonderful for Passage. Overall it was a poor game with no standout out displays but they won't mind down in the Farleigh tonight!

Wouldnt mind hittin passage for a couple scoops tonite

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Well done to passage on there win. Really thought Wayne hutchinson stood out for ballygunner in the second half.

Incredible to hear how Passage won today and sickened I didn't get to witness that kind of drama.

Had a bet on Ballygunner but not even disappointed they lost, great to see change. First County champs outside of Ballygunner and De La Salle since Ballyduff Upper in 2007. Long time waiting for change and hopefully this will spur on a few other clubs to break through.

Think Peter Queally is the man for the Waterford job. Well done Passage and enjoy the success.

Think Peter Queally is the man for the Waterford job.

Its not just the win but the manner of it which will have impressed the co. management selection commitee. Once Ballygunner, DLS or MS get a run at you in a county final its curtains, you wilt and the game is up. Thats the usual script anyway. But there must have been some belief instilled in this Passage team because in all honesty they wouldnt be any better than most of the other senior teams pund for pound. They had been finishing games strongly alright but even if Queally himself said he saw this coming with 5 mins left on the clock hed be spoofing.

Its just one win but he has to be the front runner now out of the internal candidates, given everything else he has behind him. Youd have to say hed be more deserving than McGrath at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Was watching Hurling at Mount Sion last saturday evenibg , Playing against De La Salle, under 14 i think.. Was very impressed with a big forward number 14, he is the one to watch for the future. What was his name and who won the match. Just left the bar in the middle of the match. Information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement